Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,755 members, 7,806,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:02 AM

Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update (11688 Views)

20w50 Oil For 2000 Camry / Sharp Used 2003 Honda Accord V4 (eod) - 850k / SOLD! Registered 2003 Honda Pilot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 2:28am On Dec 23, 2020
chillex8:

That's the challenge.

Deal bro
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by radautoworks: 4:40am On Dec 23, 2020

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 7:47am On Dec 23, 2020
chillex8:

That's the challenge.
Pics 1 & 2 - 1.6L motor
Pics 3 & 4- 2.0L motor

Update .... So I called my dealer he said that 1.6l is 500k and the USA 2.0 is 150k (2.0liter was 150k naira when naira was at 360) .. 2.0liter is used by other Hyundai cars like Tucson and some other SUV ,which I can't remember. The USA 2.0liter is block iron which is much stronger....

He stated that those engine come from Korea ,Singapore, this is my update so far ,I will need to do my finding before I concluded and I will get back to you on the forum.

For a 2.0l engine that still cost 150k naira from two years till now is very surprising. By Friday I should conclude on my final findings ......... It is not over yet till is over grin

Final Conclusion... I spoke to a mechanic that fix Hyundai is name is Oluwaseun ..

He stated that 1.6liter engine are expensive because nobody wants them The engine is not durable and rebuiltiable like the 2.0liter .. If you have to source for the parts you have to order them for Korea....

He stated these cars with 1.6liter engine are brought brand new by a particular company in Nigeria, once these cars breaks down it is over for the car ...he stated that USA version of these African built cars are stronger and have a second hand value.....

The 2.0 has a block engine compare to the 1.6l aluminum
Engine.. He advised against getting them and stick to USA version Korean cars ....

And he stated 2.0liter engine is cheaper because of the huge demand and USA Korean spec cars are a lot in Nigeria
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by chillex8(m): 8:42am On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

Update .... So I called my dealer he said that 1.6l is 500k and the USA 2.0 is 150k (2.0liter was 150k naira when naira was at 360) .. 2.0liter is used by other Hyundai cars like Tucson and some other SUV ,which I can't remember. The USA 2.0liter is block iron which is much stronger....

He stated that those engine come from Korea ,Singapore, this is my update so far ,I will need to do my finding before I concluded and I will get back to you on the forum.

For a 2.0l engine that still cost 150k naira from two years till now is very surprising. By Friday I should conclude on my final findings ......... It is not over yet till is over grin
Can I forward my banking details to you for instant credit of 10k.
I intentionally left you to confirm the prices yourself.

P.S Those 1.6L engines were built to last forever.
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:18am On Dec 23, 2020
ascendo:

Oga you didnt buy the car for me, stop showing me manuals of cars made in US. Don't worry, I'm fine.

But stop painting 20W50 bad. The limitation mineral oil Lube has as against synthetic is OXIDATION... get this fact.

The other day I saw when NNPC lubes were painted bad... I wish Abdulrahman saw your post that day... you know more that that prof that handled that project

SMH

Correct. smiley
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:18am On Dec 23, 2020
ascendo:

Further more, most API SL are made with anti sludge additives

Correct again smiley
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:20am On Dec 23, 2020
ascendo:

For my car, Hyundai Tucson 2020 model, for my temperature range...0-50 degrees Celsius, the manufacturer recommends 20W50

Excellent
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:20am On Dec 23, 2020
ascendo:

Read what it says about hot weather and the prevailing operating temperatures

Most people do not read.
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:27am On Dec 23, 2020
ascendo:

In all these, remember that cars from USA are American specs... it get why!

The orifices for oil passages are same design. Most engines SA use are from Japan which I know quite well. Most parts in Toyota USA are from DENSO...same Denso whose hqtrs is in Japan.

In all these, the flowability at low temperature is very important. The cars should be able to start even at minus 20 degrees.

There is an equipment we call COLD CRANKING SIMULATOR... Marine lubes we blend here in Naija must pass its test as well as pour point test for -35 degrees C.

My last statement on this thread: I appreciate what you do. We must hustle and all is gonna be fine. But if you do mini importation of lubes into the country, you can advertise your lubes without condemning our 20W50. Who knows, you might get to the extent that you have a technical partnership with the Lube manufacturers abroad, you might establish a Plant here. How will you feel if someone tells you that what you produce is rubbish when you have invested in raw material, equipment and staff to produce the best?

Think about it

To add to this, the average American is always looking for best possible mpg out of any vehicle driven, 0w16 and 0w20 are very good oils but in most cases target is fuel economy over engine protection.

Thanks For the education.

1 Like

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:33am On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

Hope you have paid the young man.

There are Ceratos and elentras that were bought brand new in 2007 with the 1.6 L Gamma I4 engine, stilI running efficiently. Sold one recently. https://www.nairaland.com/6162310/sold-registered-2009-hyundai-elantra#94640675

Still stock engine, never been rebuilt.

20w50 is not a death sentence if changed frequently.

The 1.6 L Gamma engine came equipped with a timing chain and is maintenance free. The xd20 is designed with a timing belt that requires change every 60-70k miles.

1 Like

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:36am On Dec 23, 2020
chillex8:

P.S Those 1.6L engines were built to last forever.

I will have to agree with you .

Only downside is overheating. The engine was a perfect design, the cooling system was not designed well in a couple of models.
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 9:55am On Dec 23, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Only downside is overheating. The engine was a perfect design, the cooling system was not designed well in a couple of models.

1.6liter are not rebuiltiable engine ... I will not used them there is reason why nobody buys them
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:57am On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

1.6liter are not rebuiltiable engine ... I will not used them there is reason why nobody buys them

You are not a mechanic, not even an apprentice , you do not even patronise proper workshops , so I understand where you are coming from.

1 Like

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 10:00am On Dec 23, 2020
[quote author=chillex8 post=97346512]

P.S Those 1.6L engines were built to last forever [/quote

Yes forward your account details...
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 10:02am On Dec 23, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

You are not a mechanic, not even an apprentice , you do not even patronise proper workshops , so I understand where you are coming from.

The ones built for the African are built for a reason bro.. Anything built for the African market we know they don't last long... those cars are cheap for a reason
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 10:04am On Dec 23, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Am sure that is why Dana imports them directly from Korea ....
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 10:06am On Dec 23, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Which engine are easy to rebuild block engine or Aluminum engine..
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:10am On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

Which engine are easy to rebuild block engine or Aluminum engine..

Again you are not a mechanic or an apprentice so I will not respond to you sir.
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 10:13am On Dec 23, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Hope you have paid the young man.

There are Ceratos and elentras that were bought brand new in 2007 with the 1.6 L Gamma I4 engine, stilI running efficiently. Sold one recently. https://www.nairaland.com/6162310/sold-registered-2009-hyundai-elantra#94640675

Still stock engine, never been rebuilt.

20w50 is not a death sentence if changed frequently.

The 1.6 L Gamma engine came equipped with a timing chain and is maintenance free. The xd20 is designed with a timing belt that requires change every 60-70k miles.

How come this engine keep breaking down, and it seems nobody wants to buy them.. Those engines are made for the African market , they are not as strong as the 2.0liter engine ... when you even compare the fuel economy to the 1.6l or to the almighty Corolla, ..The difference is not that much.... I will rather go for the 2.0liter .....keep And to be Frank with the 2.0liter is almost indestructible too.. This is from experince
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:14am On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

Am sure that is why Dana imports them directly from Korea ....

A Korean car company makes Korean cars.

Engine is in European specs, UAE specs, Entire Asian specs. I've personally seen them in Kenya, Seychelles, Uganda, Ghana, Cairo South Africa .

The 1.6 liter can be found in almost every country but USA did you bother asking why?

I am not here to educate you, the rest of the world cannot be a dumping ground including your home country.

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:15am On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

How come this engine keep breaking down, and it seems nobody wants to buy them.. Those engines are made for the African market , they are not as strong as the 2.0liter engine ... when you even compare the fuel economy to the 1.6l or to the almighty Corolla, ..The difference is not that much.... I will rather go for the 2.0liter .....keep And to be Frank with the 2.0liter is almost indestructible too.. This is from experince

Personal opinion from an uninformed vehicle user.

1 Like

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 10:16am On Dec 23, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Again you are not a mechanic or an apprentice so I will not respond to you sir.

Bottom line block engine are much stronger ,if it cracks you can easily seal them up than the aluminum
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by chillex8(m): 10:20am On Dec 23, 2020
[quote author=dru23 post=97348821][/quote]
Sent via mail. cool
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 10:21am On Dec 23, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Personal opinion from an uninformed vehicle user.

Gazzuz my guy .. I recall on ur post when someone ask you type of cars for uber .. I think the person mention elantra.. You said Elantra was not strong for uber .. I recall when u use to like elantra for uber ,but now elantra is not ok again.....

I almost cried o .. U know I still have 1 elantra on my fleet and I imported the engine myself.. Till now that engine is still running and the Elantra is about 3 years on uber .. I want cry that bro , Elantra that u used to praise .. It is well bro

2 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 10:23am On Dec 23, 2020
chillex8:

Sent via mail. cool

Whatapps me and Friday u get ur 10k naira .. I still won't by 1.6liter engine lol .. There is reason why that engine is built for African market o
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:24am On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

Bottom line block engine are much stronger ,if it cracks you can easily seal them up than the aluminum

Why should your block crack?

Let me burst your bubble a bit.

Toyota/lexus

2gr-fe
3mz-fe
2az-fe
1az-fe
1nz-fe
2nz-fe
2zr-fe
3zr-fe
1zz-fe
2zz-fe
3zz-fe

Honda/Acura

Every petrol engine built after 2003

Mercedes

Every petrol engine after 2006

Kia/hyundai

Every V6 petrol built after 2006

These are just a small sample of the entire market.

Every example up there uses a full Aluminum engine . Kindly go read a book

2 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:28am On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

Whatapps me and Friday u get ur 10k naira .. I still won't by 1.6liter engine lol .. There is reason why that engine is built for African market o

Too much talk with nothing to backup.

Read an stop talking

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Gamma_engine

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 10:29am On Dec 23, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Engine is in European specs, UAE specs, Entire Asian specs. I've personally seen them in Kenya, Seychelles, Uganda, Ghana, Cairo South Africa .

The 1.6 liter can be found in almost every country but USA did you bother asking why?

I am not here to educate you, the rest of the world cannot be a dumping ground including your home country.

Bros talk true ,naija is dumping the ground ,some of those Koreans cars don't even have airbag standard like the USA version.. This is not fight here, let us have an objective conversation.. The 1.6liter u self can't sell it ,how much u want . The demand for it is not there at all . The Tucson built for naija market is different from Yankee under power and different engine.. Blame the Nigeria government for these , go on jiji u see these cars 2020 almost brand new for 2m ..come on bro u are in ur feelings
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:30am On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

Gazzuz my guy .. I recall on ur post when someone ask you type of cars for uber .. I think the person mention elantra.. You said Elantra was not strong for uber .. I recall when u use to like elantra for uber ,but now elantra is not ok again.....

I almost cried o .. U know I still have 1 elantra on my fleet and I imported the engine myself.. Till now that engine is still running and the Elantra is about 3 years on uber .. I want cry that bro , Elantra that u used to praise .. It is well bro

Kia/Hyundai will humble you long term.

Does not mean the engine build is bad which is your bone of contention.

2 Likes

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by dru23(m): 10:32am On Dec 23, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Why should your block crack?

Let me burst your bubble a bit.

Toyota/lexus

2gr-fe
3mz-fe
2az-fe
1az-fe
1nz-fe
2nz-fe
2zr-fe
3zr-fe
1zz-fe
2zz-fe
3zz-fe

Honda/Acura

Every petrol engine built after 2003

Mercedes

Every petrol engine after 2006

Kia/hyundai

Every V6 petrol built after 2006

These are just a small sample of the entire market.

Every example up there uses a full Aluminum engine . Kindly go read a book

Sir you telling me a block can't crack due to overheating?
Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:32am On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

Bros talk true ,naija is dumping the ground ,some of those Koreans cars don't even have airbag standard like the USA version.. This is not fight here, let us have an objective conversation.. The 1.6liter u self can't sell it ,how much u want . The demand for it is not there at all . The Tucson built for naija market is different from Yankee under power and different engine.. Blame the Nigeria government for these , go on jiji u see these cars 2020 almost brand new for 2m ..come on bro u are in ur feelings

GAZZUZZ:

Re: Avoid 20w50 Oil.. 2003 Honda Civic Update by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:32am On Dec 23, 2020
dru23:

Sir you telling me a block can't crack due to overheating?

I give up on you sir. Good bye

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

SOLD :Clean Ford Taurus SE Saloon 2006 4Cyl Toks @ 950K (08096577304) / Volkswagen Sharon-mini Van(tokunbo) For Sale / Tokunbo Golf 3 For Quick Grab: Now In Lagos: (price reduced 400,000)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.