Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,228 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) (68244 Views)

Is Kapadoccia the Most Beautiful Restaurant In Lagos? / FG Closes Haufei Restaurant & Mall, Chinese Restaurant In Lagos / Man Eating And Sleeping In A Restaurant In Abeokuta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by Rex123(m): 1:18pm On Dec 11, 2020
Earlystar698:
what about the amount of pepper grin grin

You know some people find it disgusting to eat food without pepper. I cant eat foods without Pepper and i'm not Yoruba

4 Likes

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by joelbooks: 1:19pm On Dec 11, 2020
No pictures
Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by janedonez(m): 1:19pm On Dec 11, 2020
Commendable
Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by Fibonacci88: 1:19pm On Dec 11, 2020
Amala is one food that unites Nigeria. Go to d average Amala joint and u LL see ppl from different tribes sitting together to flex better food.

7 Likes

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by Jsucre(m): 1:20pm On Dec 11, 2020
Nna en, amala sky is awesome. Beautiful eating experience.
Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by Harrykn: 1:20pm On Dec 11, 2020
fijiano202:
Neatness matters alot

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by wizdomnzube(m): 1:21pm On Dec 11, 2020
Ibadan cheap sha oh na so I hear.... Na to find dis Skye and observe how their food be.

I like better thing so as OP don run advertisement for dem na to check them out.

Ibadan cheap so tey even their Olosho sef cheap grin

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by alabi484(m): 1:22pm On Dec 11, 2020
OBALORLA:

The same look you’d give a Lagosian who has never heard about Elegushi beach is the same you’d give someone living in Ibadan but has never heard about Amala Skye in Bodija. I’ve heard tons of stories about this legendary canteen bot decided to take all with a pinch of wheat, waiting on the day I’d actually see things for myself.

The sun shining on Ibadan that afternoon was a bit too much for 2 O'Clock. My first thought was that the angel in charge of controlling it was either sleeping on duty or deliberately wanted to punish the people for an offense committed earlier. You see, Ibadan is a city that is gradually losing its sanity and tranquility partly due to the influx of Lagosians that have been emotionally abused by their megacity.

The entire Bodija market was so busy that you’d think it was the market’s black Friday. I had just alighted from a bike that brought me from Cocoa House in Dugbe. “Oga mi, na N200 you suppose give me o. this place too far for that N150 wey I charge you.” My rider said amidst laughter, wiping the sweat on his forehead with a new N500 note. I fumbled into my Ankara trouser, brought out a weak N200, and gave it to him without looking at him as he kicked his bike to life. He disappeared into the rowdy Market, almost hitting a street beggar.

Now I was all alone clad in my blue Ankara and a medium-sized paper bag, staring straight at Ose Olorun food canteen, the most popular Amala joint in the whole of Ibadan.

I have been to Ibadan more times than I can count but have never had the opportunity of eating at this canteen popularly called Amala Skye (due to its location beside the defunct Skye bank (now Polaris)). With caution, I crossed the road and strolled towards the entrance of the restaurant.

The Ambience

For a restaurant by the roadside, Amala Skye has managed to solve the most crucial problem facing most food houses- Cleanliness. It was a bungalow nestled between a Polaris Bank and a drinks store. The marble tiles covering the building would make you assume there was a secret they're tiring to hide from the public. They looked like white tiles that have been beautifully smeared by Amala, making you feel you're actually walking into a house built with the same. The whole space was tidy, including the air my nose managed to drag in.

As I moved closer to the building, the rice booth was what my eyes caught. It was a small-sized aluminum stand where customers who wouldn't want to eat Amala or any other solid food could buy rice, beans, and plantain from. I think it a cool idea, but since I was there for a business more important than rice and beans, I marched on into the restaurant.

By my immediate right was the guardian of the Amala galaxy. A woman who should be in her late forties. She was so calm that you'd be convinced she enjoys whatever she's doing there. On the floor in front of her were 5 large bowls containing other wrapped solid foods like Eba, Semo, Fufu, Iyan, and a much bigger cooler contained sizzling hot Amala. Another pointer to the fact that Amala is highly revered here.

Beside these bowls was a large basket of different plates designed specifically for solid foods as they were all deep and looked heavier than the ones in my kitchen at home. I picked one and pointed it to her. Each scoop of amala (although very small) costs N100, so I requested 3. That was what I could comfortably deal with.

The interior of Amala Skye looks interestingly furnished and too Behind for an amala joint. The walls were covered with the same tiles like those used outside, only that the white bulbs hanging on the ceiling did a good job of making them sparkle more.

There are 3 sections inside Amala Skye restaurant: the first being the enclosed space where soups and proteins such as vegetables, egusi, bokoto, goat meat, panla, etc. were served. The second and third were dining areas where customers enjoy their meals.

I did a quick scan and figured there were about 80 chairs, all split in a group of 8, with each surrounding the exotic-looking tables. Everywhere I turned, I saw waiters either standing or sitting with a keen interest in your gesture in anticipation for any clue to show them you need anything.

I proceeded to the soup arena which was made of an elevated cement slab covered with tiles and a transparent fine glass which makes it possible to see and communicate with the servers.

The Food

I requested for gbegiri and ewedu to go with one piece of ponmo (N200) and a piece of goat meat (N600). While I was being served, I looked around for the best angle that will allow me to devour my food without remorse, so I chose the extreme end of the second section. I really wanted to get my hands dirty.

Although the amala wasn't the best I've had, I would say it was quite good. Perhaps, because I've had too much amala in my lifetime. The texture of the ponmo and goat meat was superb though- I didn't struggle, neither did I found it easy tearing through with my teeth. It was another testimony that there's always a level playing ground for whatever issues we are faced with in life.

One thing however turned me off. It was the sluggishness with which the fans rolled. "It was bad enough that there was no AC (or they weren't functional) in such a finely built restaurant. But why on earth would the fans be rolling as though they've been owed salaries." I thought within me as I picked a strand of meat stuck in my teeth.

Overall, I think Amala Skye is that spot where you can enjoy yourself better when you go with friends.

Verdict

Ambience (6.5)

The fact that this place was carefully made to appeal to elites excites me. They most likely knew how popular the restaurant is within the south-west. But as I said, I expected more, especially regarding the absence of ACs.

Food (7)

The food was good.

Service (7)

Nothing major. At least no one pissed me off and I didn't encounter any difficulties with getting my food.

Would I want to come back? For sure (if they'd fix the fans or bring in ACs), but I’m not sure I'd want to come alone.

Source: https://nomadicnegro.com/a-review-of-amala-skye-bodija-ibadan/
Lovely descriptive writing.

2 Likes

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by Webmannigeria: 1:22pm On Dec 11, 2020
No pictures, No Videos Who does that in story telling today?

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by Bigdik70inch2(m): 1:22pm On Dec 11, 2020
Raychee:
Ibadan people and amala grin

Lol...

Well.....nothing beats a well prepared amala that has no pimples u know.......
cheesy
Btw..am not from Ibadan Oo...

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by SeasonedMEMBER(m): 1:23pm On Dec 11, 2020
H
Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by quadriolakunle(m): 1:24pm On Dec 11, 2020
I have not been there before, but i had it delivered while i was on a project in Ibadan, It was like the best Amala i have eaten so far.

Nice Soup, Soft Amala and the goat meat is excellent.

I had my white shirt stained that day...lol.

Amala Skye has it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by Inkling(f): 1:26pm On Dec 11, 2020
My tummy is making noise.

Amala skye, two dose

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by Orpe7(m): 1:27pm On Dec 11, 2020
I relocated to ibadan in 2018 and the only Amala joint i have been to is Iya dunni Amala spot by Mobil fuel station ringroad

5 Likes

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by ipobarethieves: 1:29pm On Dec 11, 2020
cool
Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by ipobarethieves: 1:30pm On Dec 11, 2020
cool Hot Amaka,Ewedu,gbegiri plus goat meat cool.

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by AKswift: 1:30pm On Dec 11, 2020
The place has a face uplift, wow!! I was a customer, and l enjoyed every day l went in there!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by Reference(m): 1:32pm On Dec 11, 2020
Not a thread for me. Fatty food is long gone. A few slices of cooked yam and vegs, yes. Yam flour pudding....capital no. Its a sugar bomb.

2 Likes

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by samuel19222(m): 1:32pm On Dec 11, 2020
Ok
Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by Angrygoat: 1:33pm On Dec 11, 2020
Ibadan food na nonsense, siliva equipped. Iya alamala by bodija marketside. Very disgusting, even ola mummy by ojurin sef dey egbe. Ritual food canteens everywhere

4 Likes

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by nurez305(m): 1:35pm On Dec 11, 2020
grin
Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by Lordtunji(m): 1:35pm On Dec 11, 2020
Ogufe is 500 as at last month

OBALORLA:

The same look you’d give a Lagosian who has never heard about Elegushi beach is the same you’d give someone living in Ibadan but has never heard about Amala Skye in Bodija. I’ve heard tons of stories about this legendary canteen bot decided to take all with a pinch of wheat, waiting on the day I’d actually see things for myself.

The sun shining on Ibadan that afternoon was a bit too much for 2 O'Clock. My first thought was that the angel in charge of controlling it was either sleeping on duty or deliberately wanted to punish the people for an offense committed earlier. You see, Ibadan is a city that is gradually losing its sanity and tranquility partly due to the influx of Lagosians that have been emotionally abused by their megacity.

The entire Bodija market was so busy that you’d think it was the market’s black Friday. I had just alighted from a bike that brought me from Cocoa House in Dugbe. “Oga mi, na N200 you suppose give me o. this place too far for that N150 wey I charge you.” My rider said amidst laughter, wiping the sweat on his forehead with a new N500 note. I fumbled into my Ankara trouser, brought out a weak N200, and gave it to him without looking at him as he kicked his bike to life. He disappeared into the rowdy Market, almost hitting a street beggar.

Now I was all alone clad in my blue Ankara and a medium-sized paper bag, staring straight at Ose Olorun food canteen, the most popular Amala joint in the whole of Ibadan.

I have been to Ibadan more times than I can count but have never had the opportunity of eating at this canteen popularly called Amala Skye (due to its location beside the defunct Skye bank (now Polaris)). With caution, I crossed the road and strolled towards the entrance of the restaurant.

The Ambience

For a restaurant by the roadside, Amala Skye has managed to solve the most crucial problem facing most food houses- Cleanliness. It was a bungalow nestled between a Polaris Bank and a drinks store. The marble tiles covering the building would make you assume there was a secret they're tiring to hide from the public. They looked like white tiles that have been beautifully smeared by Amala, making you feel you're actually walking into a house built with the same. The whole space was tidy, including the air my nose managed to drag in.

As I moved closer to the building, the rice booth was what my eyes caught. It was a small-sized aluminum stand where customers who wouldn't want to eat Amala or any other solid food could buy rice, beans, and plantain from. I think it a cool idea, but since I was there for a business more important than rice and beans, I marched on into the restaurant.

By my immediate right was the guardian of the Amala galaxy. A woman who should be in her late forties. She was so calm that you'd be convinced she enjoys whatever she's doing there. On the floor in front of her were 5 large bowls containing other wrapped solid foods like Eba, Semo, Fufu, Iyan, and a much bigger cooler contained sizzling hot Amala. Another pointer to the fact that Amala is highly revered here.

Beside these bowls was a large basket of different plates designed specifically for solid foods as they were all deep and looked heavier than the ones in my kitchen at home. I picked one and pointed it to her. Each scoop of amala (although very small) costs N100, so I requested 3. That was what I could comfortably deal with.

The interior of Amala Skye looks interestingly furnished and too Behind for an amala joint. The walls were covered with the same tiles like those used outside, only that the white bulbs hanging on the ceiling did a good job of making them sparkle more.

There are 3 sections inside Amala Skye restaurant: the first being the enclosed space where soups and proteins such as vegetables, egusi, bokoto, goat meat, panla, etc. were served. The second and third were dining areas where customers enjoy their meals.

I did a quick scan and figured there were about 80 chairs, all split in a group of 8, with each surrounding the exotic-looking tables. Everywhere I turned, I saw waiters either standing or sitting with a keen interest in your gesture in anticipation for any clue to show them you need anything.

I proceeded to the soup arena which was made of an elevated cement slab covered with tiles and a transparent fine glass which makes it possible to see and communicate with the servers.

The Food

I requested for gbegiri and ewedu to go with one piece of ponmo (N200) and a piece of goat meat (N600). While I was being served, I looked around for the best angle that will allow me to devour my food without remorse, so I chose the extreme end of the second section. I really wanted to get my hands dirty.

Although the amala wasn't the best I've had, I would say it was quite good. Perhaps, because I've had too much amala in my lifetime. The texture of the ponmo and goat meat was superb though- I didn't struggle, neither did I found it easy tearing through with my teeth. It was another testimony that there's always a level playing ground for whatever issues we are faced with in life.

One thing however turned me off. It was the sluggishness with which the fans rolled. "It was bad enough that there was no AC (or they weren't functional) in such a finely built restaurant. But why on earth would the fans be rolling as though they've been owed salaries." I thought within me as I picked a strand of meat stuck in my teeth.

Overall, I think Amala Skye is that spot where you can enjoy yourself better when you go with friends.

Verdict

Ambience (6.5)

The fact that this place was carefully made to appeal to elites excites me. They most likely knew how popular the restaurant is within the south-west. But as I said, I expected more, especially regarding the absence of ACs.

Food (7)

The food was good.

Service (7)

Nothing major. At least no one pissed me off and I didn't encounter any difficulties with getting my food.

Would I want to come back? For sure (if they'd fix the fans or bring in ACs), but I’m not sure I'd want to come alone.

Source: https://nomadicnegro.com/a-review-of-amala-skye-bodija-ibadan/

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by ShakurMY(m): 1:36pm On Dec 11, 2020
Haha, cocoa house to Bodija on bike N200?
Tell us another lie
Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by damiloladuke: 1:38pm On Dec 11, 2020
Now Amala dey hungry me
Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by paddyofboss(m): 1:38pm On Dec 11, 2020
fergie001:
Chai....this people finish UI boys money eehehhhhh cool
But u nor go there na . All of una dey look me dey lean for room that year. Chai igate and sunny and u.. wicked roomates grin
Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by jornwhite: 1:40pm On Dec 11, 2020
I can attest amala skype is not over rated, as for the fans and no AC, more packaging will only inflate the price of the food, the targeted market is both the poor and the rich, i remember taking a lady friend to amala skype on her request she is a nigerian from germany then.
Their is another one a friend took me to along old ife road opposite hope junction, i can't remember the name of the eatery, very serene environment,customer service ok, chilled drinks buh if you are not fast enough the fans will cold ur food plus i rate there foods an 8/10 only my mama can score 10 grin grin make i no rate my babe cos over 10 no reach wink

2 Likes

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by fergie001: 1:41pm On Dec 11, 2020
paddyofboss:

But u nor go there na . All of una dey look me dey lean for room that year. Chai igate and sunny and u.. wicked roomates grin
Hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahah grin grin grin grin

Na Glory make you lean, no be us grin

1 Like

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by Naijaarchive(m): 1:42pm On Dec 11, 2020
Orpe7:
I relocated to ibadan in 2018 and the only Amala joint i have been to is Iya dunni Amala spot by Mobil fuel station ringroad

My nigga.. That woman go enter Ibadan history book grin

4 Likes

Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by muller101(m): 1:45pm On Dec 11, 2020
Amala and ewedu. Unattractive, unpleasant, garbage I have ever seen.
Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by iamclime(m): 1:49pm On Dec 11, 2020
The texture of the ponmo and goat meat was superb though- I didn't struggle, neither did I found it easy tearing through with my teeth. It was another testimony that there's always a level playing ground for whatever issues we are faced with in life.

This got me laughing out loud! Bro, you write well. Have you considered joining us in the content writing space?
Amala Skye now on my bucket list whenever I hit IB.
Re: A Review Of Amala Skye Restaurant In Ibadan (with Pictures) by flokii: 1:57pm On Dec 11, 2020
Amala with gbegiri and ewedu is life.. take that to the bank.

I need a vac in Bodija, then Akure to eat pounded yam.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Eats A Plate Of Eba And Cat Head, Shows It Off (Photos) / Lady Regrets The N18k Worth Of Pepper Soup She Ordered (Photos, Video) / It's My Hubby's Birthday! See The Special Coconut Fried Rice I Made For Him (pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.