Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,292 members, 7,780,683 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:28 PM

Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? (996 Views)

My Conscience Is Judging Me. Please Help Me / Was Used Today As A Tool Of Disrespect And I Hated It. / My Experience At An Hotel That Made Me Stop Judging Women (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 10:41am On Dec 11, 2020
this thread is a reaction to the thread "why davido never been nominated for a Grammy". Greatnesss and hard work made davido a topic of discuss. else it could have been why has tiwa savage, Tu face or Wizkids album never been nominated for a Grammy. If there was a category for world/global album song, I am sure davido would have one Grammy with the song fall. the song charted on the US charts for 40 weeks straight and it made remarkable achievements in the charts of many European and American countries. if there was ever a category like best world/global song, Burna boys ye or on the low would have also bagged an award in that category, same for Wizkids soco. Interestingly, let me tell you why I don't feel the Grammy's should be a validation for the greatness , uniqueness and versatility of any African artist. The Grammy's want you to touch themes on corruption, insecurity, oppression, gender awareness, gender inequality and racial inequality before they can consider you for nominations. this is evident in burna boys work "African giant " and Angelique kidjo "celia". African music should be solely for the fun of it, we appreciate women in our culture and we feel they need to be worshipped and pampered. this is the reality of our music today, which I cannot condem because it is cultural and original. African musicians do not really have business with the Grammy's. most of the American songs nominated in the Grammy's, do not touch these themes which are a burden for African and Middle Eastern artistes. As a Nigerian, I pray Burna boys "twice as tall" should win in the category nominated, hence it would force him to lose his originality and African appraisals for the white man's approval because from what I have seen he is hell bent on winning it for bragging rights. The Grammy really has no business or influence in the African and market value of African music, hence no Nigerian album would have gotten more streams than kidjos, Celia album. the Latinos have taken these into consideration, hence the reason why they have their own Grammy's. dear African artistes, keep having fun and expressing yourselves in your own way and do not let the misinformed Grammy influence your style or actions towards music. Music should be for the fun of it, I implore moderators over here to kindly remove the thread on why davido has never gotten a Grammy from the front page, because I feel it is a senseless aimed attack on his personality and brand. cc airmark.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by Ofemmanu1: 10:46am On Dec 11, 2020
It is inferiority complex that makes Africans love grammys.
The best songsters never got grammys and they remained Heroes and Legends.
e g.
King Sunny Ade Ayinla omo wura Barrister Killington Shina Peters Kwam 1. Otunba Pasuma etc..
grammys is overrated.

3 Likes

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by chatinent: 10:50am On Dec 11, 2020
Grammy is biased.

1 Like

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 10:53am On Dec 11, 2020
Ofemmanu1:
It is inferiority complex that makes Africans love grammys.

The best songsters never got grammys and they remained Heroes and Legends.

e g.

King Sunny Ade
Ayinla omo wura
Barrister
Killington
Shina Peters
Kwam 1.
Otunba Pasuma etc..

grammys is overrated.
this is very apt, thank you for your comment. I don't know when nairaland started disgracing , vilifying and pressurizing our own Nigerian brethrens to get a Grammy at all cost! this is sad and is a negative of a well renowned online forum like this.
Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by Or11: 10:54am On Dec 11, 2020
The terms and conditions of accepting a Grammy Award winner is crazy. The process of selecting winners is even worse. Winners aren't voted for by the public.

1 Like

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 10:55am On Dec 11, 2020
chatinent:
Grammy is biased.
exactly even in the USA some artistes are not interested in the Grammy's and their validation of good music, it still shocks me when Nigerians are just hell bent on getting Grammy's nawah o!

1 Like

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by Creeza(m): 10:57am On Dec 11, 2020
grammy doesnt go the artistes, the artistes come to them.

THATS WHY THERE IS ALWAYS A TIME FRAME used to consider any category winner but first you must be nominated and this happens after you have 'submitted' an entry.

Anyone who feels he/she has what it takes to become a grammy nominee and eventual winner should submit an entry or stfu and stop wailing on nairaland

2 Likes

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 10:59am On Dec 11, 2020
Or11:
The terms and conditions of accepting a Grammy Award winner is crazy. The process of selecting winners is even worse. Winners aren't voted for by the public.
wow
Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 11:01am On Dec 11, 2020
Creeza:
. ..
Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by Creeza(m): 11:07am On Dec 11, 2020
africandictator:
. ..
modified
Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 11:09am On Dec 11, 2020
Creeza:
grammy doesnt go the artistes, the artistes come to them.

THATS WHY THERE IS ALWAYS A TIME FRAME used to consider any category winner but first you must be nominated and this happens after you have 'submitted' an entry.

Anyone who feels he/she has what it takes to become a grammy nominee and eventual winner should submit an entry or stfu and stop wailing on nairaland
lol burna boy, wizkid or davido are not on nairaland.
Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 11:16am On Dec 11, 2020
chatinent:
Grammy is biased.
this is not debatable lol it's a fact!
Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by Creeza(m): 11:29am On Dec 11, 2020
africandictator:
lol burna boy, wizkid or davido are not on nairaland.
Youd be shocked.

But saying grammy is biased is a no no. Grammy awards songs and artistes from different ethnic orientations whereas the latin grammys you mentioned rewards artistes who sing songs in latin or portugese only

One final note is that Africa has no lingua franca as a continent.

3 Likes

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 11:30am On Dec 11, 2020
Creeza:
Youd be shocked.

But saying grammy is biased is a no no. Grammy awards songs and artistes from different ethnic orientations whereas the latin grammys you mentioned rewards artistes who sing songs in latin or portugese only

One final note is that Africa has no lingua franca as a continent.
true though
Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by Bornsinner7: 11:46am On Dec 11, 2020
Grammy’s are a fucking joke. Beyonce released one fucking song called “"Blacked parade” and an absolute trash album for Lion King movie and she gets nominated 9 times? Meanwhile, The Weeknd had hands down the biggest album of the year and gets snubbed completely. What the Bleep does grammy hold as a criteria to be nominated. Let them name anything, the weekend had everything in his songs this year.
chatinent:
Grammy is biased.

Well.. op na only burna carry the Grammy for head

1 Like

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by moremuch1(m): 11:52am On Dec 11, 2020
No mind Africans with their yeye inferiority complex and slave mentally, oh damn 400 years of slavery must have really messed up the brains of Africans that they don't see any good in themselves unless it is recognised by the whites,

Let me ask y'all a question , have you ever seen a foreign artiste aspiring to win an award organised in Africa. The answer is capital NO. Then why is it almost every African artistes dreams to win a foreign award before they consider themselves good. Talk about always wanting to get white man's validation before they see any good in themselves. It is really sad

AFRICAN LEARN TO RATE YOURSEIVES, YOU DON'T NEED THE WHITE MAN'S VALIDATION AND RECOGNITION BEFORE YOU CONSIDER YOUSELVES GOOD BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT BETTER THAN YOU

1 Like

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by phelonrays: 11:55am On Dec 11, 2020
africandictator:
exactly even in the USA some artistes are not interested in the Grammy's and their validation of good music
, it still shocks me when Nigerians are just hell bent on getting Grammy's nawah o!

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by internationalman(m): 12:14pm On Dec 11, 2020
Is it the same grammy that the following artistes have never won you want me to take seriously.

Snoop Dogg
Nas
Katy Perry
Diana Ross
Bust a Rhymes
Nicki Minaj
Sia
Run DMC and lastly
2pac

Funny Cadi could win a Grammy but 2PAC didn't..
Can Cadi B ever do evergreen songs like
Changes
Until the end of time
Dear mama..

And even though Burna Boy is getting nominated he's no where near the best musician Nigeria has ever created...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by olanipekun65561: 1:51pm On Dec 11, 2020
:Grammy is biased. this is not debatable lol it's a fact!

1 Like

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by tobechi74: 3:00pm On Dec 11, 2020
African waiting for foreigners to recognize our achievement based on their criteria.
We can organize our own nigeria Grammy award and give it to whoever we like

1 Like

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 5:28pm On Dec 11, 2020
moremuch1:
No mind Africans with their yeye inferiority complex and slave mentally, oh damn 400 years of slavery must have really messed up the brains of Africans that they don't see any good in themselves unless it is recognised by the whites,

Let me ask y'all a question , have you ever seen a foreign artiste aspiring to win an award organised in Africa. The answer is capital NO. Then why is it almost every African artistes dreams to win a foreign award before they consider themselves good. Talk about always wanting to get white man's validation before they see any good in themselves. It is really sad

AFRICAN LEARN TO RATE YOURSEIVES, YOU DON'T NEED THE WHITE MAN'S VALIDATION AND RECOGNITION BEFORE YOU CONSIDER YOUSELVES GOOD BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT BETTER THAN YOU
this is very apt , May God help us.

1 Like

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 5:29pm On Dec 11, 2020
internationalman:
Is it the same grammy that the following artistes have never won you want me to take seriously.

Snoop Dogg
Nas
Katy Perry
Diana Ross
Bust a Rhymes
Nicki Minaj
Sia
Run DMC and lastly
2pac

Funny Cadi could win a Grammy but 2PAC didn't..
Can Cadi B ever do evergreen songs like
Changes
Until the end of time
Dear mama..

And even though Burna Boy is getting nominated he's no where near the best musician Nigeria has ever created...
I love changes very evergreen song!

1 Like

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 5:30pm On Dec 11, 2020
tobechi74:
African waiting for foreigners to recognize our achievement based on their criteria.
We can organize our own nigeria Grammy award and give it to whoever we like
exactly!
Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 11:27am On Dec 12, 2020
Or11:
did you get this of Wikipedia?
Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by Or11: 10:59am On Dec 13, 2020
africandictator:
did you get this of Wikipedia?
not Wikipedia

1 Like

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 11:33am On Dec 13, 2020
Or11:
not Wikipedia
oh okay
Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by Baybiibee: 11:35am On Dec 13, 2020
africandictator:
exactly even in the USA some artistes are not interested in the Grammy's and their validation of good music, it still shocks me when Nigerians are just hell bent on getting Grammy's nawah o!

Nigerians are still looking for approval from their slave masters... Its not a new thing...

1 Like

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 11:57am On Dec 13, 2020
Baybiibee:

Nigerians are still looking for approval from their slave masters... Its not a new thing...
exactly , we need to emancipate ourselves from mental slavery.
Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by Dreyton36: 12:33pm On Dec 13, 2020
How wish na davido win am, we nor for hear all these long story
Abeg cry ur cry , davido no sabi sing simple
Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by SILENTandSMART2: 12:37pm On Dec 13, 2020
Lol, I'm going to collect many granny awards for Nigeria no worry,

grin grin

I will break world record grin grin

1 Like

Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 8:54am On Dec 14, 2020
Baybiibee:

yeah very true! Even seuns kuti twitter bio is Grammy nominated artiste!
Re: Should The Grammy's Be A Tool For Judging Good African Music? by africandictator(m): 8:55am On Dec 14, 2020
Dreyton36:
How wish na davido win am, we nor for hear all these long story
Abeg cry ur cry , davido no sabi sing simple
lol I sabi this guy good to have you back on here �

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stop Having Premarital Sex, You Refuse. / Guys Please I Need Advice Its Not Easy / Misogyniisttt In The Making

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.