Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action (12842 Views)

US, UK Vote Against UN Resolution To Take Action Against Racism, Xenophobia / Biden Vows To Take Action To Prevent Russia From Attacking Ukraine / Sudan To Hand Ex-President Omar Al-bashir To ICC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by AnonPoet: 1:20pm On Dec 11, 2020
The International Criminal Court says it will not take action against the UK, despite finding evidence British troops committed war crimes in Iraq.

A 180-page report says hundreds of Iraqi detainees were abused by British soldiers between 2003 and 2009.

But the ICC could not determine whether the UK had acted to shield soldiers from prosecution.

The MoD said the ICC report "vindicates our efforts to pursue justice where allegations have been founded".

The ICC told the BBC: "It is without dispute there is evidence war crimes were committed."

Its report said there was a reasonable basis to conclude that at least seven Iraqis were illegally killed while in British custody between April and September 2003

Government and military 'covered up war crimes'
War crimes court considers probe into UK army
The ICC report refers to evidence of a pattern of war crimes carried out across a number of years by soldiers from several British regiments. Some detainees were raped or subjected to sexual violence. Others were beaten so badly they died from their injuries.

The Iraqi individuals, many of them civilians, were unarmed and in British custody at the time.

The UK government has repeatedly accused human rights lawyers of bringing vexatious claims, but the ICC says it is "disingenuous to describe the entire body of claims, involving hundreds of claimants, as baseless or spurious".

A BBC Panorama investigation last year revealed that British detectives had also found credible evidence of war crimes committed in Iraq.

But the programme discovered that despite this, not one of the cases was taken forward by the army's prosecution service.

The ICC said it took Panorama's findings very seriously, and that on the whole the information it received was consistent with the reports in the programme.

It could "not rule out" that there had been a cover up on the part of the British authorities.

'Inadequate'
Its report concluded that investigations by the Royal Military Police had been "inadequate" and were "marred by a lack of independence and impartiality".

However, it could not make a determination as to whether the UK had acted to shield soldiers from prosecution.

The ICC said it will reopen its examination of the UK's conduct in Iraq "should new facts or evidence" come to light.

The UK government is currently seeking to introduce a controversial new law which will make it harder to prosecute British soldiers.

It says the Overseas Operations (Service Personnel and Veterans) Bill, if passed, "delivers on the government's manifesto commitment to tackle vexatious claims and end the cycle of re-investigations against our brave Armed Forces".

After scrutinising the proposed legislation, Parliament's Joint Human Rights Committee has said: "We found that the real problem is that investigations into incidents have been inadequate, insufficiently resourced, insufficiently independent and not done in a timely manner.

"The government is effectively using the existence of inadequate investigations as a reason to legislate to bring in further barriers to bringing prosecutions or to providing justice for victims".

One of the investigations by the Royal Military Police, featured in last year's Panorama, was into the death of Radhi Nama in British custody.

The Royal Military Police concluded he had died of a heart attack - even though his body and face showed signs he had been beaten.

To date, no one has been prosecuted in connection with Radhi Nama's death.

His daughter, Afaf Radhi Nama, told Panorama: "I saw torture signs on his body.

"They covered his head and tied his hands, he could not defend himself, and they killed him. It is my wish to see the soldiers who committed this crime put on trial and facing justice.

"If I was a British citizen my rights would be respected, but because I am an Iraqi citizen, it seems I have no rights."

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said the ICC review "confirms that the UK is willing and able to investigate and prosecute claims of wrongdoing by armed forces personnel".

He said it had brought to light "no new evidence" and the ICC statement "vindicates our efforts to pursue justice where allegations have been founded".

"I am pleased that work we have done, and continue to do, in improving the quality and assurances around investigations has been recognised by the ICC," he said.

"The Service Justice System Review and the appointment of Sir Richard Henriques to provide assurance of our investigative processes are all steps towards making sure we have one of the best service justice systems in the world."

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-55247033?__twitter_impression=true

1 Like

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by AnonPoet: 1:20pm On Dec 11, 2020
The ICC is only for African leaders who the west don't like

110 Likes 5 Shares

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by sylve11: 1:22pm On Dec 11, 2020
cool
Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by ULOPVQ: 1:27pm On Dec 11, 2020
Is the West bigger than ICC? If UK is not tried then countries from other continents should boycott the ICC and their bias judgement.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by Marine54(m): 1:29pm On Dec 11, 2020
Can you bit the finger that feed you!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by revived: 1:36pm On Dec 11, 2020
We move
Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by Biglittlelois(f): 1:36pm On Dec 11, 2020
The UK government is currently seeking to introduce a controversial new law which will make it harder to prosecute British soldiers.

Imagine, so soidiers can kill at will?

And they know African countries that can't think for themselves will follow same route,

Watch how Sagay the fake prof will give good excuse for Nigeria to do same.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by joshjc(m): 1:36pm On Dec 11, 2020
Because it's not an African country

2 Likes

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by brownemmanuel43(m): 1:36pm On Dec 11, 2020
We r looking for companies n cooperative societies that want to buy n share for their staffs this season.

50Kg bag is 25,000
25Kg bag is 12,000
10kg bag is 6,000

Min order: 5 bags

1 Like

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by Muhylonaire007: 1:36pm On Dec 11, 2020
Ok
Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by HerMajestyCares(f): 1:37pm On Dec 11, 2020
That's Good,

Our WEEKEND PREACHERS WE ARE EXPECTING YOUR MESSAGES AS USUAL.

I thank Jesus for life
Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by Deejay1000(m): 1:37pm On Dec 11, 2020
philistine decadence sad
Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by AdolfAboki(m): 1:38pm On Dec 11, 2020
This is another proof that there's no equality anywhere.. grin

21 Likes

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by rahztafari(m): 1:38pm On Dec 11, 2020
ICC and their likes are built for Africa

4 Likes

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by Risingblue008(m): 1:38pm On Dec 11, 2020
Na dem dem na
Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by REMMEI(m): 1:38pm On Dec 11, 2020
Power...

In everything you do be in the position of power.
Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by Newton85: 1:38pm On Dec 11, 2020
Nothing surprising here. The ICC is a hypocritical, racist organization meant only for non-white or non-Western criminals. War Criminals George Bush, Tony Blair, Dick Cheney and even Barack Obama can never be brought to book. Which is why I laugh at these Nigerian nitwits who always call on ICC or whatever to help them.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by Lordswazz(m): 1:39pm On Dec 11, 2020
The ICC has never convicted the leaders of any Western country and sent them to jail. If na Africa now, dem go dey form Tiger and moral high ground. I guess all the wars perpetrated so far by the US and her lapdogs have all been "for the greater good."

As an African, if you're looking up to these clowns on wig to rescue you from your misery, then you're in for a big surprise.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by Gwagone: 1:39pm On Dec 11, 2020
smiley
Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by jaytii(f): 1:40pm On Dec 11, 2020
But they will take action against the Nigerian government and its military.
Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by Omezif(m): 1:40pm On Dec 11, 2020
Injustics every where, thinking that it's only in africa countries some people are getting maltreated by injustic. Let icc stop injustic as it could lead to dangerous situation. I have done saying my own.
Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by RealDesign30(m): 1:41pm On Dec 11, 2020
It is well

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by timesup234: 1:41pm On Dec 11, 2020
may shango strike imperialism mad! Death to America and western civilization. They are the true terrorists

3 Likes

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by meobizy(f): 1:41pm On Dec 11, 2020
I am impressed. This reminds me of a comment posted yesterday which said the white man’s slow justice system was created so they can free their people using deceptive means. Africans give a swift punishment to make sure the person does not come back to do more harm.

4 Likes

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by Nigeriabiafra80: 1:41pm On Dec 11, 2020
Icc is a slave tools to Africa leader

6 Likes

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by emmabest2000(m): 1:41pm On Dec 11, 2020
Partiality of highest order

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by sammy329(m): 1:41pm On Dec 11, 2020
Selective justice undecided

1 Like

Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by tstx(m): 1:42pm On Dec 11, 2020
Hmm
Re: ICC Finds UK's War Crimes But Will Not Take Action by dermmy(m): 1:43pm On Dec 11, 2020
I don't blame them, I blame African leaders.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Powerful 6.8 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Morocco damages buildings / Trump's Facebook Ban Likely To Be Overturned By Oversight Board / Gunman Opens Fire In American Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.