Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,458 members, 7,808,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:34 PM

Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition (4250 Views)

Speed Darlington Celebrates Tonto Dikeh With Weird Birthday Message / Daughter Of The President Of Congo Has Just Leaked Their Tape / Sex Tape Of Daughter Of Congo-brazzaville President Leaked (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by MariaDee(f): 12:55am On Dec 12, 2020
Meet The Mangbetu Tribe of the Democratic Republic of Congo with Weird Tradition

The Mangbetu tribe of the Democratic republic of congo ensures that their children develop this desired shape of head as they grow up.

Women in this community wrap their babies heads with tight cloths at birth.

The tradition, which is locally referred to as Lipombo, begins exactly a month after birth and continues for several years until the child acquires the preferred shape of the head.

The tribe considers the skull deformation as a sign of higher intelligence and a status symbol among the ruling class.

While some people are opposed to this practice, fearing that it might affect a child’s brain development, experts have ruled out such possibilities, insisting that the brain is capable of adapting and developing into any shape of the skull.

They say the brain, being an elastic organ, can grow or expand into the desired shape without any form of damage or deformity.

1 Share

Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by xolocious(m): 1:11am On Dec 12, 2020
Africa my Africa... Which way? Make we wise up small nah? Haba!!!

4 Likes

Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by XXXXTENTACION: 1:27am On Dec 12, 2020
See CONE HEADS ABEG grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by JaneYave(f): 1:28am On Dec 12, 2020
So this is the preferred shape of head?

1 Like

Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by Kingpee2(m): 1:46am On Dec 12, 2020
When you think you’ve seen it all ....

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by hisgrace090: 1:53am On Dec 12, 2020
When others are conquering the world with technology see where we are up till date.
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by Nobody: 6:27am On Dec 12, 2020
MariaDee:
Meet The Mangbetu Tribe of the Democratic Republic of Congo with Weird Tradition

The Mangbetu tribe of the Democratic republic of congo ensures that their children develop this desired shape of head as they grow up.

Women in this community wrap their babies heads with tight cloths at birth.

The tradition, which is locally referred to as Lipombo, begins exactly a month after birth and continues for several years until the child acquires the preferred shape of the head.

The tribe considers the skull deformation as a sign of higher intelligence and a status symbol among the ruling class.

While some people are opposed to this practice, fearing that it might affect a child’s brain development, experts have ruled out such possibilities, insisting that the brain is capable of adapting and developing into any shape of the skull.

They say the brain, being an elastic organ, can grow or expand into the desired shape without any form of damage or deformity.

This practice is actually called ACD- Artificial Cranial Deformation.

The ancient Mayans and Incas(of Central and South America) also had a similar cultural practise. I read about theirs several years ago during one of my idle times surfing the net.

Some other ethnic groups in Asia also did it at some point in their evolution.

So, we can safely say that it isn't exactly unique to the Mangbetus of Congo.

OP, you forgot to add that the Mangbetus don't do it anymore. Modernisation has taken over. Those pictures were taken during the exploration/colonial era.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by falcon01: 6:29am On Dec 12, 2020
this ones no go get sense. They'll be dumb AF grin
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by Nobody: 6:32am On Dec 12, 2020
hisgrace090:
When others are conquering the world with technology see where we are up till date.

Mr conquering ignoramus...

They don't practice those things anymore. Those pictures were taken decades ago.

Besides, this practice wasn't unique to just Africa. Many races have done it to some degree in the past.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by Nobody: 6:34am On Dec 12, 2020
xolocious:
Africa my Africa... Which way? Make we wise up small nah? Haba!!!

The OP gave you guys half info and you are running with it

Pathetic sad

This practice no longer exists and it wasn't unique to Africa.

If you fit read:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_cranial_deformation&ved=2ahUKEwiy5_yB2MftAhUHEBQKHQVFCR8QFjAOegQIKBAB&usg=AOvVaw18GRo_Jg0uBqcru7TgpB0W

4 Likes

Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by Nobody: 6:37am On Dec 12, 2020
JaneYave:
So this is the preferred shape of head?

Yep.

In their days, it was considered a status symbol.

Just like the "lotus" foot binding thing in old China.

One of those weird cultural practices of the past.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by nanakgh(m): 6:53am On Dec 12, 2020
mansakhalifa:

Yep.

One of those weird cultural practises of the past.

Stop bothering yourself with these low self esteem half wits. If the story had stated that it was being practiced in Ancient Europe or Asia you’d see how these fools would be suddenly okay with it.
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 12, 2020
nanakgh:

Stop bothering yourself with these low self esteem half wits. If the story had stated that it was being practiced in Ancient Europe or Asia you’d see how these fools would be suddenly okay with it.

Hahaha! @bolded

I tell you. It's annoying.

I am really embarrassed by the mere fact that I share the same nationality with a lot of these guys.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by femi4: 7:41am On Dec 12, 2020
Do they still need dna with this kind head
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by JaneYave(f): 7:46am On Dec 12, 2020
mansakhalifa:

Yep.

One of those weird cultural practises of the past.
It's strange how our cultural practices vary and I am really learning a lot.
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by Nobody: 7:52am On Dec 12, 2020
JaneYave:
It's strange how our cultural practices vary and I am really learning a lot.

The human race is like a bowl of fruit salad... a colourful variety.

That is what makes the Earth fascinating.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by spy24(m): 7:59am On Dec 12, 2020
Africa too weird cheesy cheesy
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by anozie33146: 8:30am On Dec 12, 2020
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by ruggedtimi(m): 8:45am On Dec 12, 2020
MariaDee:
.The tribe considers the skull deformation as a sign of higher intelligence and a status symbol among the ruling class.

and Dem no dey competite with likes of Zuckerberg, billgate ...
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by Raydos: 8:49am On Dec 12, 2020
The tribe considers the skull deformation as a sign of higher intelligence and a status symbol among the ruling class

With all the Higher intelligence, The country is still one of the poorest in the world!!

Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by pretydiva(f): 8:50am On Dec 12, 2020
Africans are so backward walai shocked
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by alpharoyalty: 10:04am On Dec 12, 2020
It's obvious aliens once visited this tribe
One of the reason I believe in inter terrestrial beings . whether in the form of angels or demons.
We are not alone
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by Dayoebe(m): 10:36am On Dec 12, 2020
Africans with black brain.

How could someone come up with such filthy idea.

I've seen the one of broad lip and tribal mark. This one wanna make me puke
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by taretoofine(m): 2:54pm On Dec 12, 2020
See Ogoooor grin

Orpioro mango grin

1 Like

Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by Ofemmanu1: 4:26pm On Dec 12, 2020
taretoofine:
See Ogoooor grin
Orpioro mango grin
bahd guy
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by ChoCho54(f): 7:41pm On Dec 12, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:
See CONE HEADS ABEG grin
Jesus wept! Children of the fallen demon are all over the place grin

Helinues Afamed Iamwonderful oya submit your heads for matching and tagging grin
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by ChoCho54(f): 7:45pm On Dec 12, 2020
mansakhalifa:

Hahaha! @bolded

I tell you. It's annoying.

I am really embarrassed by the mere fact that I share the same nationality with a lot of these guys.
Why the pride and haughtiness because you possess knowledge others don't and you have willingly shared?
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by Powerfly(f): 8:27pm On Dec 12, 2020
Kingpee2:

Then another shi*t pops up boom!

~Slawormir 1960-2020.
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 12, 2020
Abeg can that skull accomodate brain grin grin
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by rowland545(m): 10:08pm On Dec 12, 2020
So this is were d afonjas got there shape of head from cheesy

Wao nice...... Imagine one of der girl giving u head...and u r tapping d ogor
Re: Meet The Mangbetu Tribe Of The Democratic Republic Of Congo With Weird Tradition by TheFacelessMan: 10:39pm On Dec 12, 2020
cool

Many years back, I was attacked by a similar tribe in Papau New Guinea.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Exclusive: Ngtrends’ Short Chat With Wizkid, Clears The Air On Davido Beef Story / Iyanya Poses With His Bride!! See Wonderful Pictures From Applaudise Video Shoot / See Where This Cameraman Climb To Satisfy His Customer. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.