Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,391 members, 7,808,379 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:12 AM

Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? (24762 Views)

IF SCHOOL DOES NOT WORK OUT...WHAT'S YOUR BACKUP PLAN? / I Want To Sue My Poly If School Fails To Open This September / BREAKING: UNIOSUN To Get In Trouble If School Resume Lectures On Monday - ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by 2by40ft: 7:18am On Dec 14, 2020
gaftsoil:

are you normal. Don't worry, you will know what life is all about when you are done with youth service. 6 or 5years from now
The moment he entered that camp the reality ll kick him to wakeup from that dream.

1 Like

Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Camelot65: 7:20am On Dec 14, 2020
unity004:
cry my backup have been poultry farming but I have been facing challenges from chickens getting sick where some will end up dead to people buying on credit and not paying not to talk of expensive feeds. just hoping on God
Don't you treat them?
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by GoodBoi1(m): 7:22am On Dec 14, 2020
Lekan239:
Advice needed please,

I have no vocational skills or whatsoever, but I am a loom machine operator(machine that produces sack bag), I have once headed the mixing unit of a not very large beverage unit where I was in charge of missing, measuring the chemicals needed for soft drinks production of all flavors, and also produce and supervise the cooking of the soft drinks, I have experience in the plastic making factories and I have work in the plate and ceramic making machine, with notable experience at the biscuit making factories. I also know a little about welding and fabrication

I have no experience in the IT sector because of some reasons, I'm currently doing my HND in mechanical engineering but because of the economical and the unemployed situations in Nigeria, I'm still a little bit afraid of what the future hold and with the fact that I have no knowledge about the IT sector.

With the little experience I have, can I say I have something to offer? What do you think I should do to give me a better chance in the near future sir, because I don't think I have a plan B yet
It is great that you already have some work experience before finishing tertiary education. Depending on what you are interested in learning, I will advise you to start looking at (entry level) job posts for that particular skill or field, this will help you to know what the market demands for that particular area. Then you do research online about what you need to learn and in what order, then align your skills to meet the demands of the market. If you are interested in IT, you can learn it alongside engineering, you just have to create time and if is computer programming/software or web development, you can teach yourself.
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by toprealman: 7:24am On Dec 14, 2020
NwadykExcel:
Yo bro,i'll never neglect my education.
I will still get up to a Masters in Mech.E.
And a B.sc in Economics and maybe in Applied Mathematics as well.Though i'm still in 100lvl doing Mech.E.
My main plan and back-up plan all involves me getting an education so if you like be there and be doing "vocational skill" .we'll see how far that really gets you.
Anyone can learn a vocational skill and still be very educated.
People looking towards skill auquisition as a substitute for True Education are shortsighted.
chop knuckle bro.....you have a well defined achievable plan.....bravo!

1 Like

Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by CupOfT(m): 7:27am On Dec 14, 2020
I'm interested in cryptotrading bro, let me be under your wings. Can I PM you
revived:
On God

Face My Fx And Crypto trading fully

Gotten me three cars already
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by mhizv(f): 7:28am On Dec 14, 2020
Been educated,doesn't end in the classroom only.

That been said,do not neglect your studies. If you want to get an msc,go ahead if you want a PhD,go ahead.

There are places your qualifications would get you to,your vocational skill won't.
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Etinosa1234: 7:30am On Dec 14, 2020
waslag11:

and your village people bad gan, showing me shege.

Lol...Na Orhionwmwon u dey ?
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Ekg911(m): 7:31am On Dec 14, 2020
OGWILLS123:

Why not buy Palm oil when it is cheaper
and sell when the price rises up.
around May this year I can't still remember my mother
telling me to buy Palm oil and store, that the price is cheaper now I think it was around 8K for 25 litres then.
Now the current price is 14K minimum to 16K

I will have love to start the biz next year but nah cash be the problem sad
pls Boss I want to venture in this palm oil business too.. Pls can u teach me sire
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by CupOfT(m): 7:35am On Dec 14, 2020
Underrated comment. If you have the opportunity to make money before school, pls do it with all pleasure later you can enroll into open university, part-time, or online education. Never you put off a lucrative business for school. Stabilise yourself first in business if you get that opportunity
aloziedaya:
Education is no longer the key to success in Nigeria.

It's better nowadays, to make money and go back to school than studying hoping to make money from it
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Chevrolet076(m): 7:36am On Dec 14, 2020
WoundedLamb:

Nigeria will not undo him, please. Let's differentiate between advice and curse. The situation of things there could be bad but a lot of people have still made using their degrees and whatever they learned in school

Firstly, what I mean by wise him up is not that it'll crush him or whatever, I'm simply implying that it'll make him rethink... And that in turn might make him have a change of mind and a new focus. And again, someone like me is just learning skills to serve as backup plans in case everything fails... That's why I'm trying to tell you where I stand academically. Learning a skill didn't stop me from getting my first class.
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by JGirl20(f): 7:37am On Dec 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:
I'm Learning programming.. if e fvck up, I go reduce my age go play ball.. if e nor work, I learn work... If e nor work, I turn to pîmp... If e nor work, I do Yahoo,.. if e nor work, turn pastorprenuer...

If none of this work, I dey go my village for Orhionwmwon to do meeting with my village people... Dem must tell me who I offend
grin grin grin
Hahaha
You're a clown
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by sinqlepee(m): 7:39am On Dec 14, 2020
guy do fraud na di only way forward for this naija

1 Like

Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Chevrolet076(m): 7:39am On Dec 14, 2020
It's just sad that that Nwadyeke man has shifted the purpose of this post to himself. My backup plan is vocational skill And business.
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by PhDinView: 7:41am On Dec 14, 2020
Dear Op,

I don't know exactly what you mean by "if school does not work out" but judging from some of the comments I've read, I want to assume that you are asking about our alternate course of action in the event that we are not able to secure white collar jobs with fat pay slips and favourable working conditions.

The standard of formal education in Nigeria at all levels is very poor. Tertiary institutions no longer offer the requisite knowledge and skill sets for fresh graduates to survive or thrive in the labour market. Thanks to bad political leaders in public offices who steal tax payers money with reckless abandon, the labour market is literally dead.

in summary, as a Nigerian graduate, the odds of "school working out" are against you. Having a "plan B" should therefore not be negotiable.

Despite having a B.Sc., two M.Sc., and (if no further strike) a PhD by Sept/Oct 2021, I use my Toyota Corolla to do cab and sew my clothes myself.

Sewing is a skill I picked up during my NYSC days.

As an Assistant Lecturer in a federal tertiary institution with a meagre 140k salary, moving out of Nigeria once I get PhD will be very feasible if the federal government clears the 5 months salary backlog. Nigeria tire me jor.

6 Likes

Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Depressed101: 7:42am On Dec 14, 2020
NwadykExcel:
And a B.sc in Economics and maybe in Applied Mathematics as well.Though i'm still in 100lvl doing Mech.E.
My main plan and back-up plan all involves me getting an education so if you like be there and be doing "vocational skill" .we'll see how far that really gets you.
People looking towards skill auquisition as a substitute for True Education are shortsighted.
dey there
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 14, 2020
Hassanmaye:

Thank you sir God help us I don't know why now employees prefer third class, pass and second class Lower graduates, My friend graduated with first class and he still job hunting while someone I know with 2.2 is working full time.

It is because they employ someone they can pay. No body would be free to employ a first class graduate because they are know very soon you would be promoted and pass their level and 2:1 graduates too have the same problem. The best grade to leave and get job or even government job in Nigeria is 2:2

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Chevrolet076(m): 7:47am On Dec 14, 2020
WoundedLamb:

Your academic achievements were never in question, sir. I never slightly suggested you didn't go to school and I sincerely don't know where you got that impression from. Most importantly, this is not about you but about your post I quoted. You said that Nigeria will make him wise up and I'm saying we should reconsider our choice of words so they don't come off as curses. It's good to have other plans but saying Nigeria will do this or that to him cause of his decisions does seem more like a threat than an advice. The key word there is "will" which denotes certainty. I clearly see the source of opinion but what works for A might not work for B. Like I said, some people still made it in Nigeria with thier education regardless of their GPA. So while it's good to advise him, we can't say for certain what his fate would be.

Sebi Nwadyeke is looking for academic achievement then go for masters then PhD, I'm on that lane too, that's why I pointed that out about my current academic achievement but it doesn't stop me from looking for plan B, C etc in case everything fails.

From your post, you're saying "... Some people still make it.." why should he put himself among those small number of people with just "fate" when thousand of graduates has the same or even better qualifications than him.
Truth they say is bitter... I'm not in any way trying to put him off track, infact, it's very good he is serious (or shows to be) with his studies. What I said (and others) is just an advice based on our own current experiences. He may chose to follow it or not.
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Nobody: 7:49am On Dec 14, 2020
DollarBuddy:

No worry, by the time ASUU takes at least 4 months out of every academic year and you end up spending 7 or even eight years on a 5 year course... plus you graduate and it takes you another one year before you're shortlisted for NYSC.

Then you spend your one year in NYSC and then the main thing begins; JOBHUNTING.

Trust me by then, lots of your friends who opted for tailing, drycleaning, shoemaking, provision store and other "little" businesses would have been settled with their families.

Then (God forbids) you'd still be carrying files upandan looking for a Job. The most annoying and unfortunate thing is; you'd think you're brilliant and would easily land a job, but under your nose, you'd see a 3rd or even q pass graduate picking juicy jobs while you'll be begging to get even the least paying.

See ehn, my dear, its better you go learn a trade o. Some of us have been there before. We know what we are saying.

I graduated with a Comfortable 2nd class upper since 2011. But till date, homeboy still dey street.

The country is damn messed up bro. This is a privileged information you've got here. One from your elder bro. You either run with it and thank me later, or you jettison it and life goes.

Any which way, I wish you All the best!
You wasted you time at responding to him. He's never going to understand. The saying is true that experience is the best teacher.

He's probably a 16 year old who still thinks in life, 1 + 1 = 2. It doesn't even matter if his father is rich. Life still happens.

1 Like

Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Centmelody: 7:55am On Dec 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:
I'm Learning programming.. if e fvck up, I go reduce my age go play ball.. if e nor work, I learn work... If e nor work, I turn to pîmp... If e nor work, I do Yahoo,.. if e nor work, turn pastorprenuer...

If none of this work, I dey go my village for Orhionwmwon to do meeting with my village people... Dem must tell me who I offend
mad o
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by waploger(m): 8:06am On Dec 14, 2020
erigga

Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Fuckjesusandgod: 8:26am On Dec 14, 2020
cucumbae:
The drugs are Etomutivita and bone treat calcium booster.There are also other drugs you should ask the seller when you buy these two.

Thanks bro. I will need your guidance though. can I reach out to you via email?
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by ibrocool(m): 8:42am On Dec 14, 2020
NwadykExcel:

As far as I know, people with skills often achieve better than those with ordinary certificate. Companies are seriously looking to hire people that can deliver not those with a bunch of theories without practical.

2 Likes

Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by sharonstanli(m): 8:47am On Dec 14, 2020
I have a well prepared business plan in catfish farming dm me on whatsapp 08116645181
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Nobody: 8:50am On Dec 14, 2020
ArticleBeast:
Na so politics easy na everybody never join am

so for your eye, nah easy person i be?!
it's "whatever rocks your boat".
even if school works, "politics" still dey my radar.
ori yato s'ori jhorr..
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by ArticleBeast: 9:02am On Dec 14, 2020
BayMc:

so for your eye, nah easy person i be?!

it's "whatever rocks your boat".

even if school works, "politics" still dey my radar.

ori yato s'ori jhorr..
Then start from school. Join SUG and NANS. But ready to do Yes Chief, carry bag, and run errands o
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Babastrong(m): 9:04am On Dec 14, 2020
Pls let's chat
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Geeman23(m): 9:06am On Dec 14, 2020
GoodBoi1:
My backup plan was my hobby, software development. I was just so interested in it and by the grace of God, it has fetched me millions, taken me outside the country, and still bringing opportunities. I was a serious student while at the university but I began to ask myself questions,

What differentiates me from the average student?
How do I stand out?
By reading and passing exams like every other student?
Aside from reading and passing exams, what else can I do?
What else can I do that can bring in money?

I realized I had no marketable skill and decided to pick one, software development, while at the university and I am glad I did.
interested in this software devt. can you please be a guide along that path. how does the learning etc work. I am law student. with no science background.

1 Like

Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by offset67(m): 9:14am On Dec 14, 2020
join the navy
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Whizdorm001(m): 9:24am On Dec 14, 2020
revived:
On God

Face My Fx And Crypto trading fully

Gotten me three cars already
Boss, I want to learn from you.
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by unity004(m): 9:31am On Dec 14, 2020
Daddy46:
Bros why don't you try egg production although am into poultry too I have turkey chicks now,get male and female turkey when they mate you hash their eggs a full grown turkey is like 35k,if you have money try eggs just order for point of lay chicken,let's assume you are getting at least 25 to 30create a month x1100 for a create of which egg is sold1200 or1300 now check the amount a month sir,I have that plan but no money I have applied for loans,even dm dangote group no reply,even access they said it 20k since my company is not registered this stupid government say they will give youth money we never see anything,bro try it and thank me later09037708654
thank you, I will look into it
Re: Let’s Discuss! If School Does Not Work Out, What Is Your Back Up Plan? by Nobody: 9:31am On Dec 14, 2020
ArticleBeast:

Then start from school. Join SUG and NANS. But ready to do Yes Chief, carry bag, and run errands o

anyone can start "anywhere", not necessarily from school.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

World's Smallest Girl Starts School / A Nairalander Bagged First Class And Best Student Award In Oau Convocation / Survival Fund Clarification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.