Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,914 members, 7,806,656 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:57 PM

Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada (1370 Views)

Why Nigeria Is Better Than The US - US-Based Nigerian Gives Reasons / Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria Is Better Than Canada / Is Migrating To London Now Better Than Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by usj(m): 11:54am On Dec 15, 2020
I saw this thread on front page and I must confess I was really disappointed https://www.nairaland.com/6313872/opinion-10-reasons-why-nigeria by mode9
it's like some people take pride in mediocrity. Here is why, let's go by the original OP's points.
1. Schools are generally cheaper in Nigeria unlike Canada

Those going over to Canada to pay that high tuition fees are paying for quality education, and that in itself speaks volume. Nigeria educational system is wack. I studied mechanical engineering(Unilorin) and I can tell you that I finished my studies without any tangible practical knowledge, the only practical we were exposed to was of no relevance in this 21st century, imagine students being at home for almost a year now (ASUU strike) is that the Nigerian way of subsidising education? Nigerian schools are poorly equipped.

[b]2. Electricity is cheaper in Nigeria than in Canada:
Is electricity truly cheap in Nigeria? I've being paying for light I hardly see, imagine the noise from generators and how much I spend on fuelling generator. I rather pay that much as you said in Canada and have stable electricity and a quiet environment( avoiding noises from generators).

3. Healthcare is cheaper in Nigeria than in Canada :
how many people die (of preventable diseases) here because of poor medical care daily? There are no treatments available for most sicknesses in Nigeria. Most of the drugs in Nigeria are even fake. Is that what the op is saying it's good? Most hospitals don't even have drugs and vaccines (I have heard of people dying of snake bits because of lack of antidotes). Nigerian hospitals are under equipped and under staff.

4. You can never feel lonely in Nigeria unlike Canada:
this is expected when you relocate to a new environment. If you take somebody from another country to Nigeria he/she will feel the same way . So this is not a valid point as it counts for all people.

5. The weather in Nigeria is better than that of Canada:

Again this doesn't count, if you bring someone that have lived in Canada as long as the OP has in Nigeria they will equally tell you that their weather is better, why because that is what their body has adapted to. You're uncomfortable with the weather there because your body has not adapted to it.
6. The price of petrol in Nigeria is cheaper than in Canada: is that what you call cheap? Cheap indeed. At the expense of our economy. I know Canada and Nigeria are both oil producers but, there, they don't import refined oil. That shows things are working in their own oil sector. They don't depend on China to fuel their cars. It's so bad in Nigeria oil sector that we even import oil from Niger republic. It's just a shame.

7. Getting African food is cheaper in Nigeria than Canada
This is a no pointer, same as point 4 and 5 you're only seeing things from the Nigerian point of view without considering how a foreigner will feel in Nigeria. Do you think an indian would find their food stuff cheaper in Nigeria than in India?

8. Accommodation is far cheaper in Nigeria unlike Canada:

Speak rather of the purchasing power of both currencies, and the location of the houses involved in both countries. How much is the minimum wage in Canada compare to that of Nigeria? houses are valued according to their income. Considering our minimum wage with that of Canada, paying 500k in Nigeria in on the high side. How may households can even afford that in Nigeria?

9. Data is cheap in Nigeria unlike Canada:
How so? Are you talking about Glo data that most people outside of the major cities can not use? I have four mobile lines (MTN, Glo, Airtel and 9mobile) and I can boldly tell you that most time when you change location you can hardly use your data (you will not even have reception in some places) before its validity runs out. Whats the essence of having Glo data that you can not use in sending an email. You will not know how expensive it is when you have to submit reports and there is no service for you to do so, until you find yourself in such a situation and misses a deadline.

10. Finally, it is easier to bargain in Nigeria than Canada.
Is this even a point? I'm sure you've not over pay for a goods before? Nigeria that most people are out to cheat others and say 'magger don fall'? You can only be confident in your bargaining power if only you know the cost price of what you're buying. I rather shop in a place with fixed price than bargain in a place where someone preys on my ignorance and sells things to me on over inflated price. Imagine buying things that goes for 2k for 2.5k or 3k, no matter how you can bargain no business person will ever sell an item to you below the cost price, except you're buying stolen goods or expires products.

6 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by Nehyooh(m): 11:56am On Dec 15, 2020
grin
Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by psucc(m): 12:21pm On Dec 15, 2020
Needless creating this counter-thread if not for posterity. The man behind the original thread is a saddist. He is so inhumane that while enjoying the goodies in Canada, probably as a Nigerian, he is laughing at us still living in this hell.

I wouldn't wish him bad but may God forgive him and also grants us the opportunity to see Canada someday.

9 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by usj(m): 12:39pm On Dec 15, 2020
psucc:
Needless creating this counter-thread if not for posterity. The man behind the original thread is a saddist. He is so inhumane that while enjoying the goodies in Canada, probably as a Nigerian, he is laughing at us still living in this hell.

I wouldn't wish him bad but may God forgive him and also grants us the opportunity to see Canada someday.
you can see why I'm creating this thread, reading his made me angry Modo9 should have stayed back if he thinks things in Nigeria are better than that in Canada.
Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by wewillbealright: 1:55pm On Dec 15, 2020
Passing

3 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by Kinkykinky: 3:05pm On Dec 15, 2020
Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by Nobody: 3:16pm On Dec 15, 2020
Loud it bro

1 Like

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by ImDStar: 3:39pm On Dec 15, 2020
Are minding that unguided fellow, if Nigeria is better, why didn't he stay back and enjoy all that we are currently enjoying.

He don escape finish, he's now trying everything possible to discourage people from finding escape routes.

He's the type that can never help someone else migrate, he will be telling you to stay back and manage yourself now
Selfish set of people!!

5 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by okpmoses: 4:22pm On Dec 15, 2020
So sad

1 Like

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by ednut1(m): 4:25pm On Dec 15, 2020
The lady on the other thread i must say is a stupid person.
1- ASUU strike has been on for ages.
2- there is no health care in Nigeria, no ambulance, only 2 MRI, lack of other diagnostic equipment. Politicians and President dont even use 9ja health care.
3. You spend so much on fuel in Nigeria and light is not current.
4. There is high unemployment in Nigeria
The poster should go back to Nigeria or try an arab country. A bloody waste

7 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by AltCtrlDel: 4:32pm On Dec 15, 2020
OP you nailed it

2 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by usj(m): 5:01pm On Dec 15, 2020
ImDStar:
Are minding that unguided fellow, if Nigeria is better, why didn't he stay back and enjoy all that we are currently enjoying.

He don escape finish, he's now trying everything possible to discourage people from finding escape routes.

He's the type that can never help someone else migrate, he will be telling you to stay back and manage yourself now
Selfish set of people!!
The OP is not in touch with reality.

4 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by usj(m): 5:05pm On Dec 15, 2020
AltCtrlDel:
OP you nailed it
it was so annoying seeing the OP comparing the incomparable. He/she was speaking like a typical Nigerian politician.

4 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by ipadeola91057: 5:07pm On Dec 15, 2020
OP you nailed it

2 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by usj(m): 5:07pm On Dec 15, 2020
ednut1:
The lady on the other thread i must say is a stupid person.
1- ASUU strike has been on for ages.
2- there is no health care in Nigeria, no ambulance, only 2 MRI, lack of other diagnostic equipment. Politicians and President dont even use 9ja health care.
3. You spend so much on fuel in Nigeria and light is not current.
4. There is high unemployment in Nigeria
The poster should go back to Nigeria or try an arab country. A bloody waste
lol, that's why I created this thread. She/he was purely misleading people into believing a lie.

1 Like

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by usj(m): 5:09pm On Dec 15, 2020
okpmoses:
So sad
it's not only sad, its also shame.
Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by lanresz(m): 5:14pm On Dec 15, 2020
usj:
lol, that's why I created this thread. She/he was purely misleading people into believing a lie.
Please no point creating such a thread. When someone said part of the reasons Nigeria is better than Canada is mo gbo mo ya. You can only shake your head. Poverty has damaged so many people's brain such that free food in an uninvited party is part of the reason Nigeria is better.

She actually needs to be educated about Canada before comparing the two countries.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by Fidelismaria: 7:04pm On Dec 15, 2020
You get sense, no mind that other mumu, how on God's earth will you say Nigeria is better than Canada, like how

3 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by 79733139(m): 7:49pm On Dec 15, 2020
The fellow is a she and not a he.

psucc:

1 Like

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by yungz: 8:19pm On Dec 15, 2020
Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by ENG0701: 8:41pm On Dec 15, 2020
I think the OP of the original post created the thread for attention.
Noone that knows anything about Canada will say healthcare is expensive. That's a major selling point for Canada. No matter the condition- cancer, knee replacement surgery- it is free, already paid for from your taxes.
Power in Ontario is 25cents pkw peak and 10cents pkw off peak period, which is comparable to Nigeria.
The only point I agree with is weather and loneliness. It is natural to be lonely in a country you migrate to where you know noone. Anyone will be lonely if you grew up in Lagos and move to Abuja without any family or friends in Abuja.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by Cousin9999: 8:57pm On Dec 15, 2020
Y'all are extra mad, huh? Relax.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by faithugo64(f): 4:55am On Dec 16, 2020
Valid argument

Even the elites in Nigeria, with all the money they make here, still travel out for education and healthcare. It should tell you that not earning millions in Nigeria is not the major reason why most people japa.
Most persons just prefer to raise their kids in saner climes, places with active government and working systems.
Better to stay in a place where human lives are valued o. Na person wey dey alive dey chop money.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by kurupt007(m): 6:25am On Dec 16, 2020
I was just reading that earlier thread and was wondering the type of weed that guy smoked, when he is not slowormir. Nigerians we just have this attitude of not wanting others to enjoy where we are enjoying. Your friends will travel out and instead of them to encourage you they will be discouraging you not to come. If they can survive there then surely we can too. They don't have monopoly of survival there

3 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by usj(m): 8:03am On Dec 16, 2020
faithugo64:
Valid argument

Even the elites in Nigeria, with all the money they make here, still travel out for education and healthcare. It should tell you that not earning millions in Nigeria is not the major reason why most people japa.
Most persons just prefer to raise their kids in saner climes, places with active government and working systems.
Better to stay in a place where human lives are valued o. Na person wey dey alive dey chop money.
True, even Modo9 herself is enjoying that privilege. She is now coming to misinform us to gain subscribers and likes on her YouTube channel. She is just like our politicians.
Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by usj(m): 8:08am On Dec 16, 2020
kurupt007:
I was just reading that earlier thread and was wondering the type of weed that guy smoked, when he is not slowormir. Nigerians we just have this attitude of not wanting others to enjoy where we are enjoying. Your friends will travel out and instead of them to encourage you they will be discouraging you not to come. If they can survive there then surely we can too. They don't have monopoly of survival there
Maybe because she is in Canada, she thinks we will swallow any thing she says hook line and sinker.
Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by usj(m): 8:13am On Dec 16, 2020
Mode9 (original OP) has removed her video from YouTube. She may have discovered that her lies are not thoroughly thought through or she was simply just been mischievous.
Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by Aboguede(m): 8:21am On Dec 16, 2020
U re wrong

usj:
I saw this thread on front page and I must confess I was really disappointed https://www.nairaland.com/6313872/opinion-10-reasons-why-nigeria by mode9
it's like some people take pride in mediocrity. Here is why, let's go by the original OP's points.
1. Schools are generally cheaper in Nigeria unlike Canada

Those going over to Canada to pay that high tuition fees are paying for quality education, and that in itself speaks volume. Nigeria educational system is wack. I studied mechanical engineering(Unilorin) and I can tell you that I finished my studies without any tangible practical knowledge, the only practical we were exposed to was of no relevance in this 21st century, imagine students being at home for almost a year now (ASUU strike) is that the Nigerian way of subsidising education? Nigerian schools are poorly equipped.

[b]2. Electricity is cheaper in Nigeria than in Canada:
Is electricity truly cheap in Nigeria? I've being paying for light I hardly see, imagine the noise from generators and how much I spend on fuelling generator. I rather pay that much as you said in Canada and have stable electricity and a quiet environment( avoiding noises from generators).

3. Healthcare is cheaper in Nigeria than in Canada :
how many people die (of preventable diseases) here because of poor medical care daily? There are no treatments available for most sicknesses in Nigeria. Most of the drugs in Nigeria are even fake. Is that what the op is saying it's good? Most hospitals don't even have drugs and vaccines (I have heard of people dying of snake bits because of lack of antidotes). Nigerian hospitals are under equipped and under staff.

4. You can never feel lonely in Nigeria unlike Canada:
this is expected when you relocate to a new environment. If you take somebody from another country to Nigeria he/she will feel the same way . So this is not a valid point as it counts for all people.

5. The weather in Nigeria is better than that of Canada:

Again this doesn't count, if you bring someone that have lived in Canada as long as the OP has in Nigeria they will equally tell you that their weather is better, why because that is what their body has adapted to. You're uncomfortable with the weather there because your body has not adapted to it.
6. The price of petrol in Nigeria is cheaper than in Canada: is that what you call cheap? Cheap indeed. At the expense of our economy. I know Canada and Nigeria are both oil producers but, there, they don't import refined oil. That shows things are working in their own oil sector. They don't depend on China to fuel their cars. It's so bad in Nigeria oil sector that we even import oil from Niger republic. It's just a shame.

7. Getting African food is cheaper in Nigeria than Canada
This is a no pointer, same as point 4 and 5 you're only seeing things from the Nigerian point of view without considering how a foreigner will feel in Nigeria. Do you think an indian would find their food stuff cheaper in Nigeria than in India?

8. Accommodation is far cheaper in Nigeria unlike Canada:

Speak rather of the purchasing power of both currencies, and the location of the houses involved in both countries. How much is the minimum wage in Canada compare to that of Nigeria? houses are valued according to their income. Considering our minimum wage with that of Canada, paying 500k in Nigeria in on the high side. How may households can even afford that in Nigeria?

9. Data is cheap in Nigeria unlike Canada:
How so? Are you talking about Glo data that most people outside of the major cities can not use? I have four mobile lines (MTN, Glo, Airtel and 9mobile) and I can boldly tell you that most time when you change location you can hardly use your data (you will not even have reception in some places) before its validity runs out. Whats the essence of having Glo data that you can not use in sending an email. You will not know how expensive it is when you have to submit reports and there is no service for you to do so, until you find yourself in such a situation and misses a deadline.

10. Finally, it is easier to bargain in Nigeria than Canada.
Is this even a point? I'm sure you've not over pay for a goods before? Nigeria that most people are out to cheat others and say 'magger don fall'? You can only be confident in your bargaining power if only you know the cost price of what you're buying. I rather shop in a place with fixed price than bargain in a place where someone preys on my ignorance and sells things to me on over inflated price. Imagine buying things that goes for 2k for 2.5k or 3k, no matter how you can bargain no business person will ever sell an item to you below the cost price, except you're buying stolen goods or expires products.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by usj(m): 9:12am On Dec 16, 2020
Aboguede:
U re wrong

lol, really? Well I'm never afraid of been wrong. If you can give me reasons why you think I'm wrong I will gladly thank you for educating me.
Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by Cousin9999: 9:16am On Dec 16, 2020
usj:
Mode9 (original OP) has removed her video from YouTube. She may have discovered that her lies are not thoroughly thought through or she was simply just been mischievous.

Or maybe because crazy people started harassing her.

You all need to chill.
Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by usj(m): 9:29am On Dec 16, 2020
Cousin9999:

Or maybe because crazy people started harassing her.

You all need to chill.
no one is harassing her, her post is insulting to those that knows better.
Re: Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria IS NOT BETTER Than Canada by sweetmelanin(f): 10:18am On Dec 16, 2020
usj:
Maybe because she is in Canada, she thinks we will swallow any thing she says hook line and sinker.
usj:

I also tried to watch the YouTube video but I see the owner has deleted it.

Youtubers have a crazy habit of creating controversial and unfounded topics just to garner subscribers and views.

The backlash got too much for her I guess undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can I Use WAEC Gce For Studies In Europe? / Naija Man Goes To Machu Picchu, Peru! / Urgent ! Best Shengen Country To Get Permits Needed By A Friend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.