Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,828 members, 7,802,652 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies (10551 Views)

Israel-Hamas War: UK To Deploy Royal Navy Ships To Support Israel / Mum Who Poisons Her Kids For Social Media Donations Sentenced To Death / UK To Send 120 Armoured Vehicles To Ukraine As Boris Johnson Meets Zelensky (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by TruthHurts1(m): 8:17pm On Dec 15, 2020
We're waiting for certain idiots in our country to grow brain cells.

The UK wants to regulate the use of social media to promote violence, terrorism, suicide content, cyber-bullying, and child abuse, but idiots in Nigeria think that this amounts to the same thing as attacking freedom of speech. It's a Shane to call these fools human beings.

They can't eradicate the child sex abuse like FGM, girl child marriage, illiteracy, poverty and violence from their society but they want to muzzle free expression. Cretins.

SilverNorGold:
I wonder what Nigeria is still waiting for! Social Media must be regulated!
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by Regex: 8:18pm On Dec 15, 2020
Mrquote:

Were was hate speech when this government wasn't in power?.

As much as I do not belong nor do I support any party, here you just crying foul. APC are making use of everything in their power, legally to boost their polity. The word Hate Speech has been existing for a really long time even while PDP was in power. That PDP failed to use it, is their loss.

All PDP has to do is boot APC out of power and look for their own political term.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by TruthHurts1(m): 8:19pm On Dec 15, 2020
It is only in the eyes of an abject fool that terrorism which actually claims peoples lives is not as bad as fake news.

AdolfAboki:
A welcome idea. Nigeria should also follow suit. Hate speech and fake news are worse than terrorism!

May God Almighty help Nigeria.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by MiQui: 8:22pm On Dec 15, 2020
The Business Hub is an enterprenual and business team of " 10 CONTENT WRITERS " working onboard a project to establish a chain of business ventures through a working from home-styled participation.

We seek more individuals to take up positions on our team and like you to consider participation.

We are looking for interested and willing persons to be a part of this team.

Your roles will be to write articles & produce a variety of them

You'll be trained to meet up with the necessary roles that's required of you.

You'll learn new insights, skills & ideas that will prove inestimable to you even after this project.

Remuneration is 1 Million Naira payable at the end of the engagement.

If you like to participate, send a message to the WhatsApp contact on the signature

Thanks for reading
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by rusher14: 8:22pm On Dec 15, 2020
Litmus:
Unfortunately, for too many Africans, nothing is right until whites approve. It’s like, you might say something such as, ‘let’s put down Iron roads. Iron roads will cost millions but will recoup cost in savings’, and a fellow African would, say, ‘nah, that’s ridiculous. Impossible, if that idea was any good, they would have done it abroad’. This type of African is in the majority and for this reason we'll never pioneer. Even if every home burns in Nigeria due to online instigations, Nigerians will only approve of social media regulations when white nations approve of it in their nations.

Anti Human Social Progress and Cohesion Terrorists’ don’t require their own forums when Nairaland does the job nicely; Nairaland’s censorship mechanisms aren’t fit for purpose. . Sorry to say this but Nairaland does not positively benefit Nigeria, it negatively impacts Nigeria, for any good it represents is far outweighed by the negatives. This is effectively a Far-right web site.

I endorse this message.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by privaldo: 8:25pm On Dec 15, 2020
egunna:
pls b reasonable.there can't b democracy without peace.what ever threatens d peace of a people must b avoided democracy or not.democracy no b madness abeg.where ur right stops,dats where another person's begins.u can't hide behind democracy and perpetrate evil

If you don't agree with what I stated up there then you shouldn't be practicing democracy.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by IMAliyu(m): 8:35pm On Dec 15, 2020
SilverNorGold:

My brother, let's drop hatred and bigotry aside for a moment and think like reasonable people. Are you happy with the way the social media is being abused and exploited by evil people? Please think about this..

May God help Nigeria.
You don't think there are evil selfish people in the government that would want to control social media for their own gain?
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by mfoniso67157: 8:44pm On Dec 15, 2020
:LOL, I am done with you!
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by Mrquote: 9:37pm On Dec 15, 2020
Regex:

As much as I do not belong nor do I support any party, here you just crying foul. APC are making use of everything in their power, legally to boost their polity. The word Hate Speech has been existing for a really long time even while PDP was in power. That PDP failed to use it, is their loss.

All PDP has to do is boot APC out of power and look for their own political term.
I never said i was crying. Yes hate speech is an English word and it have been there since. But what am saying is why tag any criticism against the government hate speech. As a person in power u can't do without criticism because that were u get ur strength from. I think u like the kind of system of government we run going from one election year to another.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by Dannyozs(m): 9:43pm On Dec 15, 2020
While I understand alot of misinformation can arise from the internet, regulating SM in Nigeria will be grossly abused and cause more harm than good. The only reason this government is/was clamouring for its regulation is because of how much pressure it puts on these criminals in power. SM is the only tool reasonable humans living in this failed society have to express themselves.

Fake news has always been the mantra of this government so it goes both ways, they lie and lie to cover up their previous lies shamelessly and it hurts them when what they are trying to hide gets exposed.

Also mind you that Nigeria is already divided along ethnic and religious lines, claiming to counter this by placing sanctions and man hunt on SM is balderdash because unity can never be forced, it's either we are united or we are not. You can't force a bond between people where there is none. Its a matter of time, the parasitic bond holding Nigeria will eventually break especially with the refusal to endorse regional government.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by Regex: 9:46pm On Dec 15, 2020
Mrquote:

I never said i was crying. Yes hate speech is an English word and it have been there since. But what am saying is why tag any criticism against the government hate speech. As a person in power u can't do without criticism because that were u get ur strength from. I think u like the kind of system of government we run going from one election year to another.

Any party has the right to term whatever they don't like with whatever word, provided it's the right term, politically.

I don't like this kind of system government. But let them be and use their words however they like so long as they are not offending constitutionally. When the next party gets atop, they can do same.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by MadamExcellency: 9:50pm On Dec 15, 2020
SilverNorGold:

My brother, let's drop hatred and bigotry aside for a moment and think like reasonable people. Are you happy with the way the social media is being abused and exploited by evil people? Please think about this..

May God help Nigeria.

THOSE things the UK Government highlighted are already in place across almost all social media.

Did you hear anything like hate speech or rather speech I hate?

1 Like

Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by Mrquote: 9:51pm On Dec 15, 2020
Regex:

Any party has the right to term whatever they don't like with whatever word, provided it's the right term, politically.

I don't like this kind of system government. But let them be and use their words however they like so long as they are not offending constitutionally. When the next party gets atop, they can do same.
So do me i do u. That what it should be abi. We won't go far with that kind of system because A did it B should do it also.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by Regex: 9:59pm On Dec 15, 2020
Mrquote:

So do me i do u. That what it should be abi. We won't go far with that kind of system because A did it B should do it also.

Of course we won't go far. But it's bound to happen. Why fight it? It's the average Nigerian that will make this change happen by changing his mindset. Until that happens, we are in an endless circle of this 'do me I do u' that you talk of.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by Mrquote: 10:01pm On Dec 15, 2020
Regex:

Of course we won't go far. But it's bound to happen. Why fight it? It's the average Nigerian that will make this change happen by changing his mindset. Until that happens, we are in an endless circle of this 'do me I do u' that you talk of.
I think u have giving up on this nation sorry to say though.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by Ogundipeolaitan: 10:33pm On Dec 15, 2020
Ehen ,Say grin grin shocked lobatan

Abeg check my signature.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by goodheart02(m): 10:38pm On Dec 15, 2020
SilverNorGold:

I'm sure you're towing the usual line of our depraved minister of information which is aimed at gagging the masses on social media. For your info this is different and coming from a more civilized society. The regulation is aimed at protecting the masses from harmful content such as violence, terrorism, suicide content, cyber-bullying, and child and not from shutting them up for speaking the truth or using their hashtags to emphasize their God given rights to expression.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by goodheart02(m): 10:41pm On Dec 15, 2020
AdolfAboki:

If it's capable of disrupting the peace of the society or capable of infringing on the rights of others, then it's an offence, and should be regulated.

You're just a product or maybe a beneficiary from the pseudo democracy we practice here. Free speech is free speech. Did Trump kill or harrass anyone for hate speech despite the number of trollings he has gotten on twitter??
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by goodheart02(m): 10:43pm On Dec 15, 2020
King2019:
One thing I get here is SiverNorGold and AdolfAbokki are the same person

You maybe right. Their antics and depraved way of reasoning is resoundingly similar
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by lawkenoz(m): 10:53pm On Dec 15, 2020
The hate speech debate is an old long debate in democratic settings, but recently it seems to be gaining more attention in recent political climates.

There are some who argue on one side that hate speech is part of free speech and there are existing laws to deal with that sort of speech already, more regulations aren't necessary.

When you regulate speech you close down a debate before it's even begun. Anyone can shut you up/down before even hearing what you have to say if they dislike you or your opinions. In the realm of open debate and ideas, there's always the risk of sounding offensive but that shouldn't stop the debate, let the better idea win.

Fake news, threatening speech and violent speech already have punishments by law, let them be enforced. Giving tech gaints and governments the power to regulate speech gives them the power to control the narrative. That's a recipe for disaster!

1 Like

Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by Olafisoyem: 11:11pm On Dec 15, 2020
SilverNorGold:

My brother, I know your hatred for President Mohammadu Buhari won't make you see reason, but it's okay. There's nothing I can do that will make you have a change of heart.. Cos your mind is already made up..

It's well, my beloved brother.. Enjoy the rest of your day.

God bless us all.

Any Nigerian that doesn’t have something against the president and his government is NOT patriotic.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by ceaser: 11:22pm On Dec 15, 2020
These people want to give Liar Mohammed mouth to talk o. They should have in mind that Nigerian politicians like copying the bad things from the west but not the good things and not just that, they also misuse the ones they copy.

This thing that UK is doing is not too desirable.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by lexy2014: 11:44pm On Dec 15, 2020
SilverNorGold:

Regulated in what way? what is Nigeria waiting for why can't Nigeria pay the minimum wage that is being paid in the UK? what is Nigeria waiting for? why can't Nigeria provide the kind of welfare that UK provides its citizens?
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by lexy2014: 11:45pm On Dec 15, 2020
AdolfAboki:

If it's capable of disrupting the peace of the society or capable of infringing on the rights of others, then it's an offence, and should be regulated.

How has freedom of expression done that so far?
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by chaloskyx: 1:10am On Dec 16, 2020
The difference between this and Nigeria's social media bill is that the UK bill is aimed at protecting its citizens from violence, terrorism, suicide content, cyber-bullying, and child abuse while the Nigerian government bill cares little about its citizens but more about attacks on public officials and comments which spreads negativity about a political or government administration as you can see Nigerian government does not care about cyber bullying or abuses among citizens however once such social antics are directed to a sitting public official or to a sitting government then it becomes an issue and hence has to be regulated learn to differentiate the bills among the 2 countries while one is done to protect its citizens the other is done to protect the political class
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by NaMeAboki: 1:20am On Dec 16, 2020
Some folks here in Nigeria who benefit from the spread of Fake News and divisive propaganda would want you to believe that the president is a dictator and against freedom of speech because he wants to curb their nefarious unpatriotic activities by regulating the social media.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by Goldbw122(m): 4:25am On Dec 16, 2020
It will come to a time that social media will be the new Government and president of the future, so lets keep online.
Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by Regex: 5:20am On Dec 16, 2020
Mrquote:

I think u have giving up on this nation sorry to say though.

No need to apologise when you are saying the truth.

1 Like

Re: Social Media Bill: UK To Set New Regulations For Social Media Companies by jaxxy(m): 5:25am On Dec 16, 2020
SilverNorGold:

Not by a selfish government with selfish agendas and poor humans right records where the army can be called by a governor to shoot at very peaceful protesters leaving many with gunshot wounds if not dead and saying it’s normal practice and yet praising themselves. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sarah Palin Is A Mistake / Pierre Buyoya, Burundi Ex-president Dies From Covid-19 / Zimbabwe quadruples electricity prices amid blackouts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.