Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,664 members, 7,801,919 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction (12419 Views)

Help With Error Code P0115(Engine coolant temperature circuit malfunction) / Question On Factory Toyota Oil Filter / Toyota Oil Vs Mobil 1 (USA) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by ivcraig(m): 3:50am On Dec 16, 2020
I just purchased a Toyota Camry 03 and I noticed, the engine makes a wierd noise sometimes.

The dashboard light indicates "Check".

I scanned the car with an OBDII scanner and it showed this error code: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction

I showed a mechanic and he said I will need to change oil pump/filter or so but the error doesn't say that's what's wrong. He said oil is not being supplied appropriately to the engine, so when there's shortage of oil, the engine makes the noise.

Has anyone ever had similar experience?

Kindly assist as I don't like trial and error when fixing cars, because it wastes a lot of money.
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by ivcraig(m): 8:01am On Dec 16, 2020
Any help?
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by homeboy205: 9:40am On Dec 16, 2020
ivcraig:
I just purchased a Toyota Camry 03 and I noticed, the engine makes a wierd noise sometimes.

I scanned the car with an OBDII scanner and it showed this error code: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction

I showed a mechanic and he said I will need to change oil pump/filter or so but the error doesn't say that's what's wrong. He said oil is not being supplied appropriately to the engine, so when there's shortage of oil, the engine makes the noise.

Kindly assist as I don't like trial and error when fixing cars, because it wastes a lot of money.

That code is for a sensor, change the sensor first and see how is goes.

If the error is back, CHANGE YOUR MECHANIC

Tell the new one to open the bottom tray( cos the right English is engine sump but they will not understand) once they open the bottom tray, have them remove the mesh oil filter and wash it with petrol. DONT ALLOW THEM TO CHANGE THE OIL PUMP.

The sensor you are looking for is at the back of the engine around passenger side and right below the top engine cover
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:31am On Dec 16, 2020
ivcraig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xVK0mNU0i0&ab_channel=PeterFinntheCarDoctor
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by ivcraig(m): 8:41pm On Dec 16, 2020
homeboy205:

That code is for a sensor, change the sensor first and see how is goes.

If the error is back, CHANGE YOUR MECHANIC

Tell the new one to open the bottom tray( cos the right English is engine sump but they will not understand) once they open the bottom tray, have them remove the mesh oil filter and wash it with petrol. DONT ALLOW THEM TO CHANGE THE OIL PUMP.

The sensor you are looking for is at the back of the engine around passenger side and right below the top engine cover

Thank you so much for this. I will do just as you have advised and give feedback after.
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by ivcraig(m): 9:10pm On Dec 26, 2020
My mechanic opeproned the bottom tray cleaned the sum but the problem still persists. The Check engine light is still showing and the scanner still shows OCV circuit error.

The engine also makes a loud noise like a local grinding machine intermittently after driving it for some time like 20 mins to an hour.
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by kingreign(m): 9:28pm On Dec 26, 2020
ivcraig:
My mechanic opeproned the bottom tray cleaned the sum but the problem still persists. The Check engine light is still showing and the scanner still shows OCV circuit error.

The engine also makes a loud noise like a local grinding machine intermittently after driving it for some time like 20 mins to an hour.

To cure OCV malfunction isn't a DIY thing neither is it a job of someone who's not versed in modern engine repairs.

First step, you need to change oil and filter and clean the OCV valves, then observe. If it doesn't go, then replace the OCV valve with a good unit whose screen/filter isn't blocked. You should also check the harness for breakage or stuff. If all these doesn't work, that engine should be opened and checked for the cause of the malfunction.

NOTE:

Most OCV malfunction occurs due to delayed oil change or non adherence to factory oil spec recommendations or sludge in engine.

1 Like

Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by ivcraig(m): 9:34pm On Dec 26, 2020
kingreign:

To cure OCV malfunction isn't a DIY thing neither is it a job of someone who's not versed in modern engine repairs.

First step, you need to change oil and filter and clean the OCV valves, then observe. If it doesn't go, then replace the OCV valve with a good unit whose screen/filter isn't blocked. You should also check the harness for breakage or stuff. If all these doesn't work, that engine should be opened and checked for the cause of the malfunction.

NOTE:

Most OCV malfunction occurs due to delayed oil change or non adherence to factory oil spec recommendations or sludge in engine.

Oil changed
Oil filter changed
OCV valve cleaned
OCV has not been replaced
Harness has not been checked
Oil used is Mobile XHP
Observations done - no change - engine still makes loud noises intermittently
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by kingreign(m): 9:36pm On Dec 26, 2020
ivcraig:

Oil changed
Oil filter changed
OCV valve changed
OCV has not been replaced

Harness has not been checked
Oil used is Mobile XHP
Observations done - no change - engine still makes loud noises intermittently

Explain the both pls.
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by ivcraig(m): 3:33am On Dec 27, 2020
kingreign:

Explain the both pls.

It was a typo. The mechanic only cleaned the valve but didn't change it. I actually wasn't there when he cleaned it but I asked and he said he has.
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by ivcraig(m): 8:30pm On Dec 29, 2020
Update: my mechanic got the Oil Control Valve
Issue: the current one broke and is stuck in the engine and my mechanic has tried but can't take it out.
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by kingreign(m): 8:31pm On Dec 29, 2020
ivcraig:
Update: my mechanic got the Oil Control Valve
Issue: the current one broke and is stuck in the engine and my mechanic has tried but can't take it out.
Na there wahala may start brewing. It's well with your car's ministry sha.
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by ivcraig(m): 8:36pm On Dec 29, 2020
kingreign:

Na there wahala may start brewing. It's well with your car's ministry sha.

Hmm... This is basically saying I'm on my own abi?
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by kingreign(m): 9:25pm On Dec 29, 2020
ivcraig:

Hmm... This is basically saying I'm on my own abi?

I don't know o. But it's well with your car's ministry sha.
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by ivcraig(m): 9:30pm On Dec 29, 2020
kingreign:

I don't know o. But it's well with your car's ministry sha.

Don't worry. I will come back with good news.

1 Like

Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by kingreign(m): 9:40pm On Dec 29, 2020
ivcraig:

Don't worry. I will come back with good news.
I know you will come out with good news. But your mechanic was careless in the removal of that sensor.
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by ivcraig(m): 11:02pm On Dec 29, 2020
kingreign:

I know you will come out with good news. But your mechanic was careless in the removal of that sensor.
I wasn't there to supervise that's why
Re: P1656 TOYOTA - Oil Control Valve Circuit Malfunction by ivcraig(m): 12:16pm On Dec 30, 2020
Finally! changee the Oil Control Valve or Variable Valve Timing Solenoid the check engine light went off. Then I did a scan and no more errors.

See links to videos that helped in removing the OCV, because it broke in half and was stuck in the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuwkWxHy7dk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Timk7Xrp-a8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv5UaJrpX8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rknSrqOtsdU

Thanks guys for your assistance and encouragement.

(1) (Reply)

Local Government Permits For Private Buses In Lagos State, Legal Or Illegal? / 5 Important Information Every Car Owner In Nigeria Must Know / Tyres : 10 Facts You Should Know Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.