Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,357 members, 7,800,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? (1720 Views)

Nigerian Football Players And Their Wives/Girlfriends (Photos) / Braless Ghanaian Lady: I Have More 'Points' Than The Nigerian Football Team / 10 Football Players With The Most Trophies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by aboyaji(m): 9:53pm On Dec 16, 2020
Are Nigerian football players not allowed to use their own native dialect while being interviewed?

I could still remember the likes of Messi, CR7, Ronaldinho, and etc use their native dialect to answer some questions during and after each game.

But why are our players limited to English?

CR7 even posts with Portuguese on Twitter and Facebook, likewise Messi.

But our brothers always use English throughout.

Let's not even talk about colonisation here, abeg. Somebody is vexing already sef.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by aboyaji(m): 9:58pm On Dec 16, 2020
I'd like to see the likes of the Hausa players say "Kai, ma pren".

The Yoruba guys will say "aaah aaah, segbaun, ki lon shele" to the football reporters.

Or an Igbo player like uche okechukwu would say "bia nwanne m, ewezuga aka ahu onye ocha ahu Kwara m nno eh, chei, a kaara m esu mbada shootu na Dati poostu o".
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by budaatum: 10:04pm On Dec 16, 2020
I think its the same reason you did not post your op in your own native dialect.

So, tell. Why did you post this in English?

aboyaji:
Are Nigerian football players not allowed to use their own native dialect while being interviewed?

I could still remember the likes of Messi, CR7, Ronaldinho, and etc use their native dialect to answer some questions during and after each game.

Let's not even talk about colonisation here, abeg. Somebody is vexing already sef.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by Sundrus: 10:16pm On Dec 16, 2020
budaatum:
I think its the same reason you did not post your op in your own native dialect.

grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Dec 16, 2020
When did Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo become an official language.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by meobizy(f): 12:27am On Dec 17, 2020
If you can speak English then why not? Kanu is one exception to my idea, that guy's English is atrocious. Most Nigerians can speak intelligible English, they only decide not to.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by Nobody: 3:27am On Dec 17, 2020
aboyaji:

OP, don't take what I am about to say as an insult but you are seriously dull.

This question is damn pointless. Must you start a thread
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by Nobody: 3:28am On Dec 17, 2020
budaatum:

Solid reply.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by Prolificgiant(m): 4:02am On Dec 17, 2020
Inferiority complex is our problem, that's why we are where we are as a nation, check my signature for better
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by aboyaji(m): 8:43am On Dec 17, 2020
Prolificgiant:
Inferiority complex is our problem, that's why we are where we are as a nation, check my signature for better

You're making a good level of sense.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by aboyaji(m): 8:44am On Dec 17, 2020
mansakhalifa:

OP, don't take what I am about to say as an insult but you are seriously dull.

This question is damn pointless. Must you start a thread

Thanks, I didn't take it as an insult. And I didn't have to start a thread.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by aboyaji(m): 8:46am On Dec 17, 2020
Robert1da:
When did Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo become an official language.

Is Portuguese an official one? Or speaking Argentine make it one?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by aboyaji(m): 8:48am On Dec 17, 2020
meobizy:
If you can speak English then why not? Kanu is one exception to my idea, that guy's English is atrocious. Most Nigerians can speak intelligible English, they only decide not to.
So, when you decide not to, what does that make you? A master in reservation?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by aboyaji(m): 8:49am On Dec 17, 2020
mansakhalifa:

Solid reply.
ground no level here. No be only solid reply.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by jesmond3945: 9:45am On Dec 17, 2020
aboyaji:

is spanish the local dialect of argentina?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by budaatum: 11:04am On Dec 17, 2020
aboyaji:

Is Portuguese an official one? Or speaking Argentine make it one?

Could you provide us with figures showing how many countries and people around the world speak either language please? We can then compare with the most popular ethnic languages in Nigeria and work out how many would understand one speaking a native dialect.

For you information, Argentinans speak Spanish! And yes, Spanish and Portuguese are both "official languages", or are at least both spoken internationally and across many borders and in many countries as you'd find if you do homework.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by aboyaji(m): 3:22pm On Dec 17, 2020
budaatum:

Could you provide us with figures showing how many countries and people around the world speak either language please? We can then compare with the most popular ethnic languages in Nigeria and work out how many would understand one speaking a native dialect.

For you information, Argentinans speak Spanish! And yes, Spanish and Portuguese are both "official languages", or are at least both spoken internationally and across many borders and in many countries as you'd find if you do homework.

As much as I keep an open mind for learning, I'd still keep that certain level of modesty towards passing my message.

Why would one wait till his language is generally accepted by the public before using it publicly?

Histories are made and kept by legends. Legends are not the high and mighty. They are like you and I . If you let inferiority complex overwhelm and smother your chance of achieving or letting the world know you, you'll be gone as the wind. Are you telling me that if I became a footballer tomorrow or a renowned figure in the society, that I have a limit to my language? NEVER.

You're identified by what you do.

Arsene Wenger is fluent in 7+ languages. He's a commentator in football too. If you never let the world see you for who you are, you'll be sidelined like the rest of the masses.

Do you know that when a particular player from Africa is seen speaking his native dialect after winning the man of the match, the emergence of a translator would be, and it'll be the new normal?

I guess and hope white supremacist mentality is rid off us soonest.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by budaatum: 3:33pm On Dec 17, 2020
Stop hoping "white supremacist mentality is rid off us soonest".

Ile ni a ti ko ẹsọ re ode, so start by saying the below in your local dialect.

aboyaji:

As much as I keep an open mind for learning, I'd still keep that certain level of modesty towards passing my message.

Why would one wait till his language is generally accepted by the public before using it publicly?

Histories are made and kept by legends. Legends are not the high and mighty. They are like you and I . If you let inferiority complex overwhelm and smother your chance of achieving or letting the world know you, you'll be gone as the wind. Are you telling me that if I became a footballer tomorrow or a renowned figure in the society, that I a limit to my language? NEVER.

You're identified by what you do.

Arsene Wenger is fluent in 7+ languages. He's a commentator in football too. If you never let the world see you for who you are, you'll be sidelined like the rest of the masses.

Do you know that when a particular player from Africa is seen speaking his native dialect after winning the man of the match, the emergence of a translator would be, and it'll be the new normal?

I guess and hope white supremacist mentality is rid off us soonest.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by aboyaji(m): 7:15am On Dec 18, 2020
budaatum:
Stop hoping "white supremacist mentality is rid off us soonest".

Ile ni a ti ko ẹsọ re ode, so start by saying the below in your local dialect.

You've really done well for yourself.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by budaatum: 1:56pm On Dec 18, 2020
aboyaji:

You've really done well for yourself.
Mo gbiyanju.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by Nobody: 10:52am On Dec 20, 2020
budaatum:

You are damn smart
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by budaatum: 10:53am On Dec 20, 2020
OJay360:
You are damn smart
Lol! Trust me when I say there are very many who will disagree with you, but thanks, and I'll keep trying.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 20, 2020
budaatum:

Lol! Trust me when I say there are very many who will disagree with you, but thanks, and I'll keep trying.
Lol, you go to Europe and start speaking Yoruba when you know fully well you can speak English....some will start saying inferiority complex... nobody force you to Europe, if you want to speak your language go to your village, internationally, Nigeria is regarded as an English speaking nation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by TangoPredict(f): 11:01am On Dec 20, 2020
They reply based on the language the asker used
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by budaatum: 11:09am On Dec 20, 2020
OJay360:
Lol, you go to Europe and start speaking Yoruba when you know fully well you can speak English....some will start saying inferiority complex... nobody force you to Europe, if you want to speak your language go to your village, internationally, Nigeria is regarded as an English speaking nation.
Yes it is o. And it would be like carving one's food small to reduce one's audience by speaking in a dialect a minority speak.

Just writing here in my own dialect will exclude everyone who doesn't speak it, and even a lot of my dialect speakers who can't even read it.

That said, I am after an English to Yoruba translator for my village people who can't read English, because teaching them English is taking forever and some.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by Rossntti: 12:20am On Dec 21, 2020
aboyaji:

You speak your country's official language or lingua franca.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Football Players Speak Only English When Interviewed? by aboyaji(m): 2:20am On Dec 21, 2020
Rossntti:

You speak your country's official language or lingua franca.
my country's.

(1) (Reply)

Emmanuel Emenike - Nigeria's New Star Striker In Action (vid) / Toyin Ibitoye Becomes Super Eagles Media Officer / Hilarious Faces Of Olympic Diving (caption Needed)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.