Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,788 members, 7,802,463 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:52 PM

"It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence (12126 Views)

Vivian Lam Speaks On Gender Based Violence, Seeks The Protection Of Women / EU Removes Basketmouth As Ambassador For Sexual & Gender Based Violence / Please, If You Can Get This Across To Chimamnda Ngozi Adichie, Do So. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by lanocfoods: 6:00am On Dec 17, 2020
roldet804:
When you educate a woman
You risk turning her into a box of pride
Say what now? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by hellomosquito(f): 6:00am On Dec 17, 2020
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie born 15 September 1977) is a Nigerian writer whose works range from novels to short stories to nonfiction. She was described in The Times Literary Supplement as "the most prominent" of a "procession of critically acclaimed young anglophone authors [which] is succeeding in attracting a new generation of readers to African literature", particularly in her second home, the United States.

Anyway there are hacks to writing, and making money from it. This is what this video is all about.. you will be amazed, bu how much money you can make from writing as a beginner. Don't think the school you went to is a waste, provided you have a phone..you are good to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp1TlU5iloo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by MrHighSea: 6:03am On Dec 17, 2020
Vyolet:
She is quite right.
Gender based discrimination starts from the womb.
One of the examples is when hospitals charge higher for delivery if it's a male child and lower if it's a female child.
That is, if they charge 15k for a male child, they will charge 10k for a female child.
Wtf.
never heard of this.

there better be other value added services to justify the additional charge.
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Ogbotobo77(m): 6:04am On Dec 17, 2020
it's quite disheartening to see comments from full blown misogynists on this platform... all she said is common sense unless u just have unnecessary disdain towards women then ur perception needs revamping

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by roldet804(m): 6:08am On Dec 17, 2020
[quote author=Olodo24 post=97146128] Yeah. When you get your female children, don't give them education. Yeye dey smell[/quote

I never said you shouldn't educate them

c

1 Like

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Ryan03(f): 6:11am On Dec 17, 2020
Kondomatic:

Women are more violent then men but women think men are more violent because women don't count violence against house helps as a domestic violence
I am forced to start thinking in this light. Recently, a young boy of 7 was carried away by erosion in Benin, thankfully, he was saved by two women and taken to the station. When questioned, they found out he hawked pure water into the night and when they sent for his guardian, it happens that the man of the house is not even aware of it. It was a young woman who have a 2yr old child that is using this child to sell Water for her. She kept crying saying it is the work of the devil embarassed

5 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Kondomatic(m): 6:11am On Dec 17, 2020
SmartPolician:
The headline is FALSE

Someone should advise this lady, please. This feminism thing is gradually making her lose her senses. The way Amanda is pushing this agenda will make her lose many male fans.

Admittedly, we need to respect the females , but the females must respect themselves first. The quest for material things is making our ladies lose their manners.

Similarly, families must treat the girl child as the males because they deserve equal opportunities.
BTW, I come from a family where the females are the eldest and they all got university education.

PS: I didn't waste my data to watch the video because I don't care.
Just because they're females? That's sexism you know?

1 Like

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by IMASTEX: 6:15am On Dec 17, 2020
Vyolet:
She is quite right.
Gender based discrimination starts from the womb.
One of the examples is when hospitals charge higher for delivery if it's a male child and lower if it's a female child.
That is, if they charge 15k for a male child, they will charge 10k for a female child.

Olodo24:
Are you serious? Hospitals do this nonsense? Really?

Don't agreed totally, note that some hospitals tactically build in post delivery services. I. e. Male circumcision. It is now left for the parents to return the child there for the service.

2 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by EdoFirstBorn(m): 6:16am On Dec 17, 2020
Jodha:
The issue of domestic violence is getting out of hand..
Many people are not okay upstairs and need therapeutic help....
Agreed
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Kondomatic(m): 6:16am On Dec 17, 2020
Ryan03:
I am forced to start thinking in this light. Recently, a young boy of 7 was carried away by erosion in Benin, thankfully, he was saved by two women and taken to the station. When questioned, they found out he hawked pure water into the night and when they sent for his guardian, it happens that the man of the house is not even aware of it. It was a young woman who have a 2yr old child that is using this child to sell Water for her. She kept crying saying it is the work of the devil embarassed
It's the devil's work actually.

She's the devil.

2 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by FashionCookie(f): 6:20am On Dec 17, 2020
Some men here will just keep contradicting themselves. You frown and bring down the roof if a woman refuses to pay her bills or split bills with you. Then, when you hear or read about equality, u want to faint. I don't understand most of you. Reasons why a smart woman will no longer wait for a man to pay her bills or depend entirely on a man. This life is live and let's Live. Being independent is not feminism but the fact that most ladies are able to stand on their own and do things for themselves is enough to annoy the hell out of a typical Nigerian man. Wetin be una problem sef?
As for the violence stuff, it happens both ways. 50-50. Human being too wicked abeg...

2 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by emkz: 6:26am On Dec 17, 2020
Hmm.
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Microfels: 6:29am On Dec 17, 2020
kalu61:
The day you these feminist recognize that nature by it wisdom has place man above women and everything has been program by nature to that effect. No amount of civilization will eradicate that until the universe is recreated. Even the almighty bible neglected to census women.

Nations needs men in the millitry
Men will continue to invade and take over territories.
Women and children need men for protection.

Have you asked why the female population is almost double of men?
Have you asked why the male spermatozoa has little competitive swimming disadvantage?

The woman was made for the man

Even females, wife, mothers know the importance of a male child in the society and are co culprit in the so called abortion.

When a wife is yet to get a male child in this part of the world, them go cool like pure water but immediately male child lands, wahala for who marry bad wife grin

Even though you almost balanced your statement but it didn't hide the objective

You made some valid points, but your premises are wrong. Firstly, it is the society, not nature that puts men over women. History is littered with civilizations where women are the dominant sex. Even in nature, female animals are stronger and meaner.

Secondly, women and children only need protection by men mostly because people still believe that violence against women is understandable and therefore tolerable.

Thirdly, female population is NOT more than male. It is almost the same with the male having a slightly higher number. Check the statistics.

Lastly, women only celebrate the birth of a male child because of the premium placed on it by the society.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by BafanaBafana: 6:35am On Dec 17, 2020
Most abuses I suffered as a child came from half sisters, aunties and other females. It made me see grown up ladies as cruel and grown up guys as cool

2 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Akinh: 6:36am On Dec 17, 2020
Jodha:
ma this is gender base violence oo not domestic....
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by femi4: 6:37am On Dec 17, 2020
men also suffer based on their gender because they are shamed for not being financially rich, for showing weakness and for failing

Abi o.....Is richness tied to gender

3 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by BafanaBafana: 6:40am On Dec 17, 2020
Microfels:

You made some valid points, but your premises are wrong. Firstly, it is the society, not nature that puts men over women. History is littered with civilizations where women are the dominant sex. Even in nature, female animals are stronger and meaner.

Secondly, women and children only need protection by men mostly because people still believe that violence against women is understandable and therefore tolerable.

Thirdly, female population is NOT more than male. It is almost the same with the male having a slightly higher number. Check the statistics.

Lastly, women only celebrate the birth of a male child because of the premium placed on it by the society.
Nature puts men over women bros, men are naturally stronger, bigger, taller and most importantly, have a larger brain.
Also, the ability of a man to impregnate several women at the same time should tell you something

5 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by alawiiyeyoruba: 6:42am On Dec 17, 2020
I think the earlier we realize that all children are same, the better for the world. Imagine terminating pregnancy cos the child is a female. WTH.

Do you wonder what Agbo Jedi is? Agbo Jedi comes in different names for people especially in the southwestern part of Nigeria, some persons call it ále’, áwopa’or áfato, to learn more about jedi click https://alawiiyeyoruba.com/agbo-jedi/
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by efighter: 6:43am On Dec 17, 2020
Once God give you small money, you start saying nonsense
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by BRIGHT180(m): 6:46am On Dec 17, 2020
kalu61:
The day you these feminist recognize that nature by it wisdom has place man above women and everything has been program by nature to that effect. No amount of civilization will eradicate that until the universe is recreated. Even the almighty bible neglected to census women.

Nations needs men in the millitry
Men will continue to invade and take over territories.
Women and children need men for protection.

Have you asked why the female population is almost double of men?
Have you asked why the male spermatozoa has little competitive swimming disadvantage?

The woman was made for the man

Even females, wife, mothers know the importance of a male child in the society and are co culprit in the so called abortion.

When a wife is yet to get a male child in this part of the world, them go cool like pure water but immediately male child lands, wahala for who marry bad wife grin

Even though you almost balanced your statement but it didn't hide the objective

There was a time when physical strength mattered a lot for survival and by extension leadership this favoured the male folks and it MADE sense those times are long gone intellectual capacity is now a key decider in survival and leadership tell me when both genders are born what is in the male child to say he is/would be smater than his female counterpart

Talking scripture a man isn't a leader of everybody in skirt that right ends with his wife and family even then looking through Ephesians 5 he has to be her head the exact same way Christ heads the church by LOVE AND SACRIFICE
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by creedencity(m): 6:47am On Dec 17, 2020
Guys why preach equality which is never attainable, not in this life and not in the ones to come. Each gender have distinctive roles and responsibilities, so it kinda absurd preaching equality every now and then. Why nor equity for all. You folks will just be ranting upandan. Isn't it a woman that made a man tekked for over 450km hust to get away from her shenanigans. Most times males are even more compassionate than females are. They are the most callous toward their female counterparts. Let them become the head of any organisation, you go hear wehn..... WHY MUST WE SWALLOW THE WESTERN IDEOLOGIES [GOOD OR BAD] HOOK, LINE AND SINKER WITHOUT FIRST EXAMINING WHETHER IT CAN FIT INTO OUR WAY OF LIFE OR NOT. SHIOR YEYE DEY SMELL

CALL ME WHEN YOU START PREACHING EQUITY AND NOT EQUALITY.

3 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Ghostmode2two(m): 6:47am On Dec 17, 2020
Jodha:
The fact is humans of today are so weak emotionally and psychologically due to burden and stress of living a modern lifestyle. We want to achieve everything and become more superior than the other man thereby putting ourselves in an unnecessary and unhealthy competition where no prize is won. Is there a prize for for being more handsome or beautiful than the other man or woman? Is there a prize for being richer than the other fellow? Sometimes I weep inside of me as man is taking advantage of the other man for no reason. Life should be viva la vida. Women are victims of domestic violence for being regarded as lesser than men. Women consider men who are not rich and powerful as weak men therefore they face domestic violence from their wives. This life is becoming something else. Come to think of it, do the white people prefer male child to female? Do the white women discriminate against their men for not being rich? Do white men display their ill gotten wealth? Somebody should help me out please.

2 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Lifepodcastng: 6:59am On Dec 17, 2020
Well I guess this narrative sells better. Personally, I do not seek weakness in women. Only a weak woman will think women are disadvantaged. Women are built stronger in every ramifications. I just think those who think women are week center only on the body structure and nothing on the mental buildup. I hate to see posts like this, they’re demeaning to the prospect of a strong society.

kalu61:

Exactly, when pointing fingers to men when we need collective effort to protect the weaker gender instead of forming superwoman.

Most maid are abused by women.
Most children are abused by house mate

Most men suffer emotionally and domestic abuse from their wife but will absorb it not to be seen as weak but when it's a woman, she will shout to high heavens even at issue that she might be the culprit.

This shouldn't be a gender based issue but a collective effort address.
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by AmazonTopaz(f): 7:01am On Dec 17, 2020
If only you knew that equity and equality were in the same basket don't contradict yourself.
creedencity:
Guys why preach equality which is never attainable, not in this life and not in the ones to come. Each gender have distinctive roles and responsibilities, so it kinda absurd preaching equality every now and then. Why nor equity for all. You folks will just be ranting upandan. Isn't it a woman that made a man tekked for over 450km hust to get away from her shenanigans. Most times males are even more compassionate than females are. They are the most callous toward their female counterparts. Let them become the head of any organisation, you go hear wehn..... WHY MUST WE SWALLOW THE WESTERN IDEOLOGIES [GOOD OR BAD] HOOK, LINE AND SINKER WITHOUT FIRST EXAMINING WHETHER IT CAN FIT INTO OUR WAY OF LIFE OR NOT. SHIOR YEYE DEY SMELL

CALL ME WHEN YOU START PREACHING EQUITY AND NOT EQUALITY.
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Hoodyrich(m): 7:05am On Dec 17, 2020
Violence is a sign of low IQ.
Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by AmazonTopaz(f): 7:06am On Dec 17, 2020
BafanaBafana:

Nature puts men over women bros, men are naturally stronger, bigger, taller and most importantly, have a larger brain.
Also, the ability of a man to impregnate several women at the same time should tell you something

The guy is right nature did not put men above women society did.Be careful of the words you use not all men are stronger,bigger taller etc.there is no where it is stated that men have a larger brain a larger brain does not even equate intelligence.All what you listed does not indicate superiority at all because I could still argue about other things for women and claim we are naturally superior.
Lol a woman's ability to give life and multitask should also tell you something about female superiority over men.I am sure you will agree.Men are not superior ti women learn that and stop arguing with distorted facts claiming that is why it is a fallacy.

2 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Shortyy(f): 7:06am On Dec 17, 2020
Authority1o1:
Okay...

Now you are talking. It is only better to make admittance for your help to be issued. Females are at the receiving point when it comes to violence—domestic violence.

Gender is something nature has enforced which cannot be changed.Are you burnt out already? Aren't you going to make your numerous quotes and talks that suggest that women and men are equal?

Come on Amanda.

Men are egoistical and self-aware creatures. They are drunk with pride and self. If you keep on demanding equality, you are passing the wrong signal that the canal radars of these beings would pick up and act upon because they want to prove a point.

Just do your thing as a woman, no competition, no limits. And of course no incitements.

And about the topic, I do have a personal conviction that a man should not mete violence on a woman. It's degrading. Totally degrading.

Men were raised to believe they're superior than women. The day y'all begin to realize that everyone is the same, the better for y'all.
Egoistical my ass. Hello, have you met me? Your ego is nothing compared to mine!
Boy sit down!

3 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by Lifepodcastng: 7:08am On Dec 17, 2020
If the violence is 50/50 then why do people like Chimamander always sell a narrative that violence happen more to women? It’s sickening to hear people like her be the voice of women. If all women think like that women then certain men like myself will never have to marry. Comments like hers are worrisome, it does even make young women harness their potentials bc they already have it at the back of her head that the society is violent against them. This is not true. The fact that a particular woman was broken by her own experience doesn’t make it a women thing. It’s her problem and she has to deal with it. There are very strong women out there. I’m in relationship with one. I have learnt so much from her than I have done with friends and parent. I have never heard her talk about inequalities or something of such. Some days she cries about things at work then I remind her she’s a lion and other says she comes home telling me how fierce she was as a lion. Life should be about that. People should recognize their strength and pick partners that help them become stronger. When you choose bc of money or beauty then you have to suffer alone and stop making noise about weakness

FashionCookie:
Some men here will just keep contradicting themselves. You frown and bring down the roof if a woman refuses to pay her bills or split bills with you. Then, when you hear or read about equality, u want to faint. I don't understand most of you. Reasons why a smart woman will no longer wait for a man to pay her bills or depend entirely on a man. This life is live and let's Live. Being independent is not feminism but the fact that most ladies are able to stand on their own and do things for themselves is enough to annoy the hell out of a typical Nigerian man. Wetin be una problem sef?
As for the violence stuff, it happens both ways. 50-50. Human being too wicked abeg...

2 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by AmazonTopaz(f): 7:10am On Dec 17, 2020
Shortyy:

Men were raised to believe they're superior than women. The day y'all begin to realize that everyone is the same, the better for y'all.
Egoistical my ass. Hello, have you met me? Your ego is nothing compared to mine!
Boy sit down!
You are very correct.I keep hearing men are this that men are egoistical lol some of these men have not met women.Many women have ego/pride but just keep it under wraps because of society and religious beliefs ego is not a gender thing at all.

2 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by cococandy(f): 7:12am On Dec 17, 2020
Not all the t**ds on the front page making her point for her. All the while thinking they are making more sense

2 Likes

Re: "It Starts From The Womb" - Chimamnda Adichie Speaks On Gender-Based Violence by kazyhm(m): 7:13am On Dec 17, 2020
Kondomatic:

Women are more violent than men but women think men are more violent because women don't count violence against house helps as a domestic violence

As for Adiche, let her continue telling her half truths.

In Nigeria for instance, the girl child is treated better than the boy child. Of course we still have people who would rather have male children than female children but that's not my my point.

Adiche should leave OYIBO people and visit northern states in Nigeria and show me female almajiri.

Most out of school children are males.

All child laborer are male.

All underaged apprentice are male.

I could go on.

Even in the East, most guys are sent out at a very early age to learn trade or handwork while the girls continue with school.

Once the boy is settled, the family responsibility automatically falls of them, that includes the girl's education.

You might think I am derailing but I want to draw your attention to the root of domestic violence among married people.

Boys were programmed from birth by women to dislike women.

If you're fortunate and you and your sister are in school, you will see that your sister receives twice and sometimes trice the amount they give to you for upkeep. Simply because she's a woman. Adiche doesn't see this.

Those who are on the street, those unfortunate almajiri, the unlucky child laborer receive the worst treatment from women.

Now as an apprentice, your worst enemy is your Oga's wife. They show you hell.
Treat you worse than animal and in some cases, ensure that you're given nothing after serving them for a minimum of 8 years.

You will go home and start life from scratch.

Have you not noticed that the popular Igbo apprenticeship is no longer what it used to be? What happened? Simple, once the lucky one is settled, he will swear that none of his blood will pass the threw system again.

This inhumane treatment where given to us by women, our master's wife.

Now after you survive and marry a woman, it becomes difficult to see her as an equal, because you've seen and experienced what they can do. Because you've developed some defense mechanism.

So whenever she tries any rubbish, you will say never again and the fight starts.

Women wouldn't even accept this.....they re so hypocritical by engineering.

I told a lady on this forum sometimes ago.....that even the house chores they are shouting about......males does more chores than females in Nigeria homes especially risky house chores......

I don't even understand what female superiority will solve in the society.......if not impending chaos.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Na Breeze Blow Am? Fans Slam Actress Who Exposed Her Panties (photo / Jennifer Lopez Booty In Spandex Will Surely Put Kim Kardashian To Shame (photos) / BBNAIJA: Lilo Opens Her Kitten While Talking To Eric In The House. VIDEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.