Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,824 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:29 AM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 - Travel (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 (856502 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (736) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by davo99: 9:53pm On Dec 31, 2020
Thanks a lot
oladapo2020:

getgcms.com I have used it twice and they deliver within or before 30 days
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by AbiodunMobi2025: 9:53pm On Dec 31, 2020
In my first application I was denied based on the VO not convinced I will have access to a 3rd party(uncle ) fund
AbiodunMobi2025:

Thank you sir, I will shed a little plan on my app
For you to reevaluate me before I apply.

Single parent.
Uncle took responsibility after dad death
MSc environmental engineering in Concordia uni.
Have a landed property transfered to me after dad demise.
Took 1 year unpaid internship job.
After the internship I was Giving a permanent employment to assistance environmental officer. During probation period I was paid a stipend of 12500 naira per week by cash. Other services is free. It was after probation a staff is entitled to salary. After probation, I was absorbed in and it was d same month I told den abut my study and that I needed a time to apply. Then I was given a leave but unpaid it's already the company principle if u can fund yourself. This should she'd light on my case sir.

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by TeeMade: 9:56pm On Dec 31, 2020
Seen this info already, June! Congrats again.

It will end in praise for us all...

TeeMade:
Wow!!! Big congrats mhen. When was your application submitted please?

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Jojo257: 10:23pm On Dec 31, 2020
Did anyone who submitted the mybankstatement use an fcmb account? If yes then please we’re you given a one page ticket or just an email containing the ticket number and password.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by JosephYemsol(m): 10:47pm On Dec 31, 2020
AbionaT:
Hello my nairaland family, I've been a silent reader for awhile and I've seen the wonder of God in our midst. Pls I need your help on writing SOP.
I was given admission from NBCC for fall 2021, I want to do a diploma course but I'm a master degree holder and working presently with government.

I want to use the diploma certificate for something else aside my job in the nearest future by the grace of God.

Bsc: Bus Admin
Masters: Bus Admin
But the admission is a science course.

Thank you for your help in advance

Hello dear sister. If I may ask, by saying "diploma", do you mean advanced diploma or a graduate diploma.

If advanced, I would strongly advise against this idea as it won't fly.

If grad diploma, would make sense that you don't shoe your masters cert else, the big question would be, why would you go for a grad dip when u have a masters aiidy...

You are free to ask further questions...

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Longjonjoe: 10:53pm On Dec 31, 2020
JustMellow:

Hello OtunbaTee,

For many, it began almost immediately. At most, within 12 - 24 hrs.

Best of Luck

6 days now my eligibility review hasn’t started
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Rootiab: 11:04pm On Dec 31, 2020
JustMellow:

You're not going the right way. See my previous response.
I emailed you. Pls check
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by oyinlove15: 11:15pm On Dec 31, 2020
Okay thank you
Will mail you now
MadeMan01:

Send me email so I'm not sanctioned
Just responding to your enquiry. I used www.applygcms.com
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by oyinlove15: 11:16pm On Dec 31, 2020
Okay thank you
Babyboy2020:
use getgcms.com it was recommended on this platform tho if I’m not wrong
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Chocs(f): 11:49pm On Dec 31, 2020
If he/she hides the master’s, they’ll have to hide it for life because IRCC no dey forget. It’s good to take note of that.
JosephYemsol:

Hello dear sister. If I may ask, by saying "diploma", do you mean advanced diploma or a graduate diploma.

If advanced, I would strongly advise against this idea as it won't fly.

If grad diploma, would make sense that you don't shoe your masters cert else, the big question would be, why would you go for a grad dip when u have a masters aiidy...

You are free to ask further questions...

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by deommanuel: 12:46am On Jan 01, 2021
IT IS REALLY WONDERFUL WHAT THE LORD HAS DONE!

IT'S OUR YEAR OF UNENDING TESTIMONIES!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR NAIRALAND FAMILY.

IT WILL END IN PRAISES IN THE SHORTEST POSSIBLE TIME!! grin cool cool

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by MOKENN: 12:50am On Jan 01, 2021
Good people I'm reaching y'all live from my quarantine room in Hamilton.

I arrived yesterday by 3pm canadian time via Emirates after a 5hr layover at Dubai and a long 15hr flight.

Temperature is 1°C outside.
My friend n old school mate picked me from YYZ and we went to eat at the residence of another old school mate who's married but husband is in the air arriving nxt yr.

There were several checks .
At 9ja you have airport officials checking weights of baggage, the Emirates staff checking covid-19, study papers like passport, LOA, Enrollment n tuition receipt, arriveCAN and flight ticket. Immigration dey too. Then those that search u and ur carryon before boarding.

At Dubai after the 5hrs layover, the Emirates guys still rechecked all the papers and we boarded.

Boeing 777 was cool. U are in an entertainment station of your own. You can request any drink anytime. Food was big ...though I no de eat much.

We delayed 1hr before take off cos one Arab family on 1st class came late.

Wetin u go do nah?

At YYZ, u go trekk o.
Trek reach boarder officers they checked same papers, the guy offer me coffee sef. And gave me my study permit n directives on how to get SIN and Bank account.

Next step the agent only asked me to show my arriveCAN app. That's all.

I went to claim my other two 23kg boxes that I checked in.

Dogs just de stroll around de sniff bags

Just before I exited to the waiting area, I was asked my declaration card.

As they see say I carry fish, the guy asked if I have ginger n vegetables I said yes. He politely said I should go for search.

I did.

The guy only inspected the ginger and opened the exit door to the waiting area.

I stepped out and waited until my guy came to pick me.

It's 18:49 here. We are still in 2020.

Gotten my Canada mobile line, Applied for SIN and booked an appointment with TD Bank for the 14th for my bank account since I have to appear in person.

Keep trying my people. All the wahala is worth it.

It will end in praise

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by deommanuel: 1:04am On Jan 01, 2021
MOKENN:

I arrived yesterday by 3pm canadian time via Emirates after a 5hr layover at Dubai and a long 15hr flight.

My friend n old school mate picked me from YYZ and we went to eat at the residence of another old school mate who's married but husband is in the air arriving nxt yr.

At 9ja you have airport officials checking weights of baggage, the Emirates staff checking covid-19, study papers like passport, LOA, Enrollment n tuition receipt, arriveCAN and flight ticket. Immigration dey too. Then those that search u and ur carryon before boarding.

At Dubai after the 5hrs layover, the Emirates guys still rechecked all the papers and we boarded.

Boeing 777 was cool. U are in an entertainment station of your own. You can request any drink anytime. Food was big ...though I no de eat much.

Wetin u go do nah?

At YYZ, u go trekk o.
Trek reach boarder officers they checked same papers, the guy offer me coffee sef. And gave me my study permit n directives on how to get SIN and Bank account.

As they see say I carry fish, the guy asked if I have ginger n vegetables I said yes. He politely said I should go for search.

I did.

Gotten my Canada mobile line, Applied for SIN and booked an appointment with TD Bank for the 14th for my bank account since I have to appear in person.

It will end in praise

Thank You for Sharing!!
It's a good thing God has done for you, and will do for us too!!

4 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by brovaSketch: 1:24am On Jan 01, 2021
Congratulations. Thanks for sharing

MOKENN:

Wetin u go do nah?

At YYZ, u go trekk o.

I did.

It will end in praise

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Jus4c: 2:36am On Jan 01, 2021
Happy holiday to everyone.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by olasubomy: 3:17am On Jan 01, 2021

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by UBCcookies: 3:49am On Jan 01, 2021
Please any cheap hotel or airbnb around Toronto Pearson airport?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by UBCcookies: 3:56am On Jan 01, 2021
My flight has been postponed I will also welcome an invitation Niko
UBCcookies:
Please any cheap hotel or airbnb around Toronto Pearson airport?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Dampops(m): 6:42am On Jan 01, 2021
Any reason for the postponement?

UBCcookies:
My flight has been postponed I will also welcome an invitation Niko
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by hope4brym: 7:04am On Jan 01, 2021
Actually, you're right. Any Postgraduate program is OK for a BSc holder, but nothing less.

JustMellow:

Hello Hope4brym,

How so on the bolded?

I for one, don't see any redflag for a 2.1 applying for a PGD/C in lieu of a Master. There are too many success stories in the streets for those that trod the path.

Cheers!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by angels1: 7:51am On Jan 01, 2021
How did you book your room?
Is it shared apartment and can you give the price range. I am looking for a cheap place.
MOKENN:

Wetin u go do nah?

At YYZ, u go trekk o.

I did.

It will end in praise
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by angels1: 7:58am On Jan 01, 2021
What do they check for in admissibility?
fratermathy:

They've not started your eligibility check as of the time the GCMS notes were generated. You've finished admissibility and that a good thing. If you pass eligibility, you're good to go. Just be hopeful.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by angels1: 8:06am On Jan 01, 2021
Try yaba they sell second hand bags.
Blavkmaann:
2021, my year of moving!

I’m so pumped for 2021,

Please which market in Lagos can I see strong Canadian traveling bag?

Happy new year in advance guys

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by MadeMan01(m): 8:17am On Jan 01, 2021
angels1:
What do they check for in admissibility?

Criminality checks, security checks, medical checks, misrepresentation and funds, etc

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Blavkmaann: 8:23am On Jan 01, 2021
angels1:
Try yaba they sell second hand bags.

You and who is using second hand?

I’m I going to a second hand country??

Please o!

4 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by JosephYemsol(m): 8:49am On Jan 01, 2021
Blavkmaann:

You and who is using second hand?

I’m I going to a second hand country??

Please o!

Mazi blackmann...
I as a person will be waiting for your travel stories, how the GIG was able to drop you and your maidens plus your warriors at Montreal.. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by JosephYemsol(m): 8:50am On Jan 01, 2021
Chocs:
If he/she hides the master’s, they’ll have to hide it for life because IRCC no dey forget. It’s good to take note of that.

True chocs... You v given a perfect idea...
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Anon123: 8:57am On Jan 01, 2021
Happy new year everyone. Please people that applied for ielts using the below link, how did you confirm payment. My friend booked and paid but once he sends the required information to the email set aside for confirmation, he didnt get any. Or does he just make payment and come for the exam on the selected date? Plus their number isnt going through. Any help pls.

https://ielts.ng
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Akannitommy: 9:37am On Jan 01, 2021
LONG POST ALERT!!!

Finally, I have the strenght to write my landing gists. I left Lagos on 26th December and arrived in Montreal by 6:00pm on 27th December after an 8 hours stopover in Istanbul. I had 2 checked bags, one carry-on box, one back pack and a hand bag for my 3 computers. I had try to weigh my luggage before I left home but I guess my scale was either faulty or I added more stuff later unconsciously. So I ended up paying $80 for excess (not extra) luggage.

Pre-departure and Lagos Airport
I printed 2 copies of all my documents that I didn't get to use although, it felt reassuring that I had all the extra copies. I had 2 bags to check in; one for clothes and other non-food supplies, and the other (ghana must go) for food and utensils. I packed my cups, pots, spoon, frypan, fork, and plates. I also had grind pepper, grind eguzi, pepper soup spices, grind cameroun peper, dry fish (well packaged smoke dried catfish from Spar and clean smoked oven baked "egun" fish from Lagos - "eja panla kika"wink. I got some processed and packaged Akamu powder from Spar too. Two packaged and sealed plastic bottles each containing assorted spices in powder form - chicken seasoning flavour in cubes and powder, tumeric, cinanmon, garlic, ginger, and cloves. I packed sugar, salt and beverage - ovaltine - but I didn't add milk, for obvious reason. I had white and yellow garri plus red beans and spaghetti. Before I forget, I got a pack each of Robb and Aboniki too and I also took my extension box/strip along. I also took N10,000 in N500 notes join body which I planned as departure rituals for the gods I expected to meet at the airport!

My flight was for 9:30pm on Turkish Airlines but because of Lagos traffic, I left home by 1pm. Yes, I allowed over 8 hours for the mad and unpredictable Lagos traffic even on a Saturday afternoon just a day after Xmas. I waited about an hour in the car park to spend time with my family. First stop was the security point once you stepped into the airport's departure hall and they wanted roger but it was too early to dey do give away. I just talk myself through that one and moved on to the agricultural guys. They asked what I had and I declared the main food stuff as I had too many to dey mention all. They billed me N2,000 officially and gave me receipt plus a kind of certificate (na scam I knew it does nothing for where I dey travel go. Nobody will even ask for it). I tipped the woman who handled my case N500 because she was nice.

I proceeded to the turkish airlines stand and commenced the initial weighing of my bags to ascertain how heavy they were. Both of my main bags were in excess of the allowable limits of 23kg. I think one was over 26kg and the other was over 29kg. From my experience, I think they would take anything under 24kg eventhough the rules says 23kg. The bag boy was helpful. He advised that I rearranged my stuffs. Every food item and those personal supplies like creams, body spray etc should be checked in. Also, I should make sure one bag was under 24kg and the second one not more than 32kg. (I will return to this matter shortly).

Once the initial bag weighing was done, I was shown the way to the airline officers who would screen my documents and decide my fate to fly or not. The lady and guy responsible didn't sound like they knew what was required. The lady simply said to give her all documents I know would be required to approve my intent to board. So I gave her all I think was necessary; passport with visa, LOI, LOA, CAQ (only relevant to Quebec bound students), printed ArriveCAN receipt and enrolment verification letter. She took picture of each document (I think just the first pages) with her phone and sent to someone for approval. I asked if I could go make payment for my excess luggage at that point but she asked a rethorical question: Do you know if you would be allowed to fly yet? So I just complied and waited. After about 10 minutes (or less), I approached her to ask again and she checked her phone then announced to me that I had been cleared to fly. I rushed to the airline office to make payment for the excess luggage using my ATM card.

I returned to pay for wrapping my bags that had been set aside while I was doing document checks and luggage wahala. Remember the bag boy that I said was helpful? The plan was I would simply go pay for excess luggage instead of extra luggage. It was cheaper that way so I achieved this and was given a note to go pay N32,000 ($80) at their office within the terminal; online it says $60 but I paid $80. Ofcourse, I didn't pay cash and I got a receipt. Everything in excess of this limit, even after payment and at the final bags re-weighing to check-in my stuffs, had to be removed and placed inside my back pack. For clarity, I checked in just two bags, but without the tips from the guy, I would have had to throw away some stuff or check in a third bag charged at close to $300. NB: there are some ladies standing around the terminal already asking me if I needed an extra bag to buy.

Lest I forget, there was a small drama - a sort of superiority tussle - involving the bag boy and the desk officers at the counter where they do final weighing and tagging of my bags. When my bags were re-weighed, one showed 32kg which I had paid excess luggage on. The smaller one then weighed 26kg plus instead of 24kg and the desk officer said it was not possible to load it. The bag boy said he weighed it very well and there was no way that would happen. So they started moving my bag around on the scale. One side shows less while another showed more. Finally, I took out a big folder containing all my lifelong credentials which alone weighed 3.5kg. That solved the problem but there was still open rancour among the staff. One group was saying the bag boy was playing games with them so I can roger him and not them. Apparently, it was all about the cash. So the bag boy tried to leave in anger and refused my token of N500 but I begged him to take it as I know he was only trying to help. I still gave the principalities their own N500 to share though.

Pre-flight and Stopover
I proceeded to the immigration point with my bag pack and carry-on box. I had found a way to place my hand bag and document folder inside the back pack. One of the more junior airline attendants followed me and was trying to be extra caring. He was not directly involved in the other processes other than to point me to their office earlier on and asking if I needed any help. He gave me the small yellow form to fill and even offered me a pen. I had 4 pens on me but I still took his own and used it. I made him feel important by not rejecting the offer and gave him his own portion of the sacrifice (N500).

The first immigration guy asked me for roger but I declined saying I have spent more than my budget already. He showed me the way to the next stop and I thanked him. The guy who processed my exit took my picture and fingerprint then stamped my passport. Before he did this he asked me to write my origin and destination addresses on the back side of the yellow form. I was there for up to 20 minutes while he was doing his magic and asking me routine questions but I didn't mind because I had time to kill. He even feigned ignorance that he couldn't find my visa stamp and said what country was I going to. At the end he gave me my passport and I checked to make sure he stamped it by even asking him where the stamp was and he showed me. I had my reason (see below). He didn't ask me for anything and I didn't offer. Actually, if he did, I only had N400 left on me and it was going with me to Canada as memorabilia from my one and only Nija grin.

10 Years Earlier
Back to my reason for wanting to make sure the passport was stamped. In 2010 as a first time traveller, I was going to the US as an international student. I passed through the same airport in Lagos and also flew on Turkish Airlines. At the same immigration point, instead of doing their jobs, they were asking me for money and I resisted to pay. I told them I was a young student on government scholarship and the small $ I had on me was for food during stopover, my airport taxi in NY and emergency funds incase I needed an hotel on arrival. But they insisted I will drop something and I pushed back that I had nothing to give. They pushed me around and I repeated the same story. They searched all my bags over and over, used every delay tactics to break me but I stood my ground. I was however conscious that no strange/foreign item was placed in my bags. At last, they gave me my passport and asked me to go with my wahala. I didn't know they needed to stamp me out so I just proceded to the boarding gate ignorantly.

Nothing happened until I got to Istanbul the next day. At the point of entry into Turkey, the immigration officer discovered I had no Nigerian exit stamp on my passport and I showed him the ticket stamped by the airlines and other officers. He knew I was either stupid or ignorant because I insisted there was nothing wrong with my documents as I left Nigeria legitimately. He then asked me to explain my experience at the Lagos airport when leaving and I did. He laughed and told me the immigration officers wanted to punish me becasue I didn't give them the bribe. He asked for my scholarship award letter and verified all my story then placed 3 differeent security stamps on the back on my passport. He told me to show the POE people in NY if they asked for my exit stamp from Nigeria and repeat my story if necessary. Then he wished me goodluck and I left. There was no more incident throughout that trip but I learned an important lesson. So 10 years ago, I would have been sent back to Lagos from Turkey because of a wicked immigration officer I refused to give a bribe to. So that was why in 2020, I wanted him to show me the exit stamp or else I was not going to leave until I had it.

Lounging at the VIP Bar cheesy
I had time to spend at the departure lounge before proceeding to the boarding gate. I found a "Metro Bar - VIP Lounge" where I got internet, water and food. Their plate of jollof rice and chicken was N5000. Bottle water nah N500 or so. The waiter (guy) whispered to me that there was CCTV everywhere in the bar so he cannot collect anything cash but if I wanted to tip him he would give me his account details to do bank transfer. After paying N5,000 for a plate of rice and chicken!!, really? I felt irritated but didn't dignify him with a response. Am sure he got the message in my cold silence. I was in the bar for over 2 hours before heading to the boarding gate at 8:30pm. The boarding process was too long. Even after waiting on the queue for half an hour, we still waited another half hour for the plane to be ready - seats were inadequate so we had to hang around on our feet or improvise. Finally, we left Lagos around 9:30pm. The flight was smooth and lasted 6 hours. At the Istanbul airport, I met up with @Siobhanle - who had left from Abuja - and 8 hours later, we were on the same flight to Montreal.

Port of Entry
Due to Covid-19 protocols and a huge crowd of travellers (mostly students and fresh PR holders), I spent 5 hours at the Montreal airport. The declaration form is done digitally on dedicated computerized machines at the airport. My first attempt was incomplete but I was asked to join the queue. Chatting with @Siobhanle all the way to cross check notes and experiences, I approached a second officer who told me to try another machine. I was lucky this time around. On the form, I declared that I had agricultural stuff in my luggage because it listed fish and even diary products together. I was on the queue for up to an hour if not more due to the crowd. At last, it was my turn to approach the kiosk. The guy asked for me documents and asked why I was coming to Canada and I told him to study for my PhD. My printed declaration slip showed an "X" because of the agricultural products I said "yes" to. He then asked what food specifically I had in my I luggage. I told him spices and processed dried fish for my quarantine provision since I won't be able to go grocery shopping. I emphasized I had no meat and he said okay, then asked "any other thing" and I said NO. He asked for my ArriveCAN receipt which was confusing because I had given to him in prints. I said I also have it on my mobile and he said he would prefer to see the one on my phone. I showed him and he compare the codes with the printed copy and said it was ok. He stamped my passport and said welcome to Canada! He then directed me to "Immigration 2" for my study permit where we started another round of waiting. I printed a small stub on another machine showing my postion on the queue.

This final stage took over 2 hours before it was my turn because my tally (number) on the queue was "B 210". After over an hour, a sharp border officer came into the waiting area and collected our LOI and passports in batches of 6 to 7 then took us to another room which was "Immigration 1". Apparently, they went to print the study permits for all documents collected and handed to another officer in a kiosk. Then the waiting started. All the other guys in my batch were North Africans (I think from the French speaking part). One case stood out to me and I would like to share here (see below). When it got to my turn, the officer called my name and I stepped up to the counter. I greeted him politely and he replied. Then he said, "you have come here to study, right?". I said "yes, please, for my PhD". Then he asked for all my school documents, I gave him all and asked if he needs the CAQ too, he said yes. He asked where I would be staying and if I knew I had to quarantine for 14-days to which I said yes. I also told him I had signed a short lease for one month to enable me quarantine as required. I gave him a copy of the lease and he asked if other people would be staying there, I said no.

He checked my school documents and commented on my top-up funding - he said "good job, you got a bit of funding." I told him I actually got full funding and he asked how much in total, I told him and he handed my study permit to me. He then started the speech that I should make sure I have the study permit with me everytime I travel in and out of Canada. He said that is a proof of my status in Canada and asked me if I had "any questions?" I asked how to open a bank account and obtain a social insurance number (SIN). He gave me a paper explaining I have to go to the Service Canada website. For the banks too, I would have to do that online or after quarantine. I asked for the way to pick my luggage and I thanked him then he said "Welcome to Canada!" I picked up my luggage that has been on the baggage carousel for over 5 hours and headed out of the airport. I met two customs/police officers who seemed like they were blocking the way and I asked if they needed me to show anything, they said no, Welcome to Canada! I met two more as I was leaving the baggage claim zone to enter the arrival hall, they asked for my declaration slip. I gave it to them and they said Welcome to Canada!

Self-Isolation and Personal Support System
At the arrival hall, I tried to use my GTB card to withdraw $100 then $80 from the RBC atm but both transactions were unsuccessful. I put on my thick head warmer and hand gloves then contacted the co-worker of a family friend who volunteered to pick me at the airport. Unfortunately, due to the long delay, the guy had been waiting and mostly driving around the airport for the past 3 hours. He eventually had to pay for a car park space. The drive from the airport to the apartment was about 45 minutes. The leasing company already sent me an access code to collect my key from a box because it was past working hours. I got to the apartment just a few minutes before 12am. There was a staff on site at the reception who helped with moving some of my boxes into the elevator and to my door. I am still trying to cope with jet lag since I arrived and unsure how soon my body clock will adjust.

I have received tremondous help from Fratermathy right from Lagos and all through my visa application process. He would even preview my draft emails to my supervisor. That is how lucky I have been. Other than @Frank, @Fratermathy is one of the best connections I have made on this platform. We met in-person when he came to Lagos for his biometric and we clicked instantly. He is a mature and very humble person. I am very grateful for his friendship. My quarantine has been going smoothly all thanks to him. @Fratermathy arrived in Montreal 3 weeks earlier so he was out of self-isolation when I landed. He helped with options for my apartment before I left Lagos as well as getting a solution to my charging/plug problem immediately I arrived. He gave me links to several online stores where I could place orders. I finally found one store that is 8 minutes away from my apartment where I made a shopping list of groceries etc. Store door pick-up and delivery options would cost more money and I have to wait days and even up to a week before I could get my order. Instead, @Fratermathy walk 15 minutes to my apartment to collect the shopping list and cash (USD $). He went to exchange the USD $ to CAD $ and took my shopping list to the store then an hour later he came back with 3 bags full of groceries. He even added his own cash to balance for me. I have said all these to show how lucky I have been joining this platform and why it is important to build friendship even with total strangers because that was what we were just 9 months ago. I thank the promoters of this group and urge all to help keep the spirit that has kept this group together always. One love!

Incase you find yourself in Montreal and are in need of help like I do now, please reach out so I can pay the favour forward too, in any way possible. It will continue to end in praises. Thank you plenty @Fratermathy, may God Almighty make your journey easy and fruitful now and always. This land will favour us all.

Mistakes: things I would have done differently
If I could choose my seat on the plane next time, I would select a front seat so I can disembark quickly.
I would have transfered all my files from the old computer onto the new one before I left Lagos.
Now I have to find someone or a place to revive my old laptop that stopped working 48-hours after I landed. (Help needed, please!)
I would have installed all necessary softwares on any new gadget am bringing along to avoid paying huge amount in CAD $.
I forgot my bedsheet and didn't pack a duvet because of weight. I haven't got one since I arrived and not sure I want to pay $50 for renting one. SoI sleep in my kaftan and winter jacket until I can find a solution to that after the holidays.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Summe: 9:46am On Jan 01, 2021
Summe:

Congratulations! Just checked my mail now, I got just correspondence letter, no PPR yet. I believe it is coming today by the grace of God. smiley

Alhamdulillah! My PPR is here guys! cheesy

25 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Rootiab: 9:52am On Jan 01, 2021
Anon123:
Happy new year everyone. Please people that applied for ielts using the below link, how did you confirm payment. My friend booked and paid but once he sends the required information to the email set aside for confirmation, he didnt get any. Or does he just make payment and come for the exam on the selected date? Plus their number isnt going through. Any help pls.

you should email your name, passport data page and proof of payment to payments@ielts.ng
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Rootiab: 9:52am On Jan 01, 2021
Anon123:

also, booking expires after 48 hours

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (736)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.