Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:41 AM

Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike (4572 Views)

Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike / UCH Doctors Suspend Strike For A Month / Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by ObamaUS: 7:31am On Mar 27, 2011
Lagos State doctors under the aegis of the Medical Guild on Saturday called off their seven weeks strike which had been on since February 4

The chairman of the Guild, Dr.Bode Williams, who disclosed this after a meeting of the doctors congress at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, said that the doctors would be resuming on their duty post by Monday.

Williams said that the state government had on Friday, documented and signed all the demands of the Guild which included the full implementation of the Consolidated Medical Salary Scale, reduction in tax deduction and the reinstatement of the sacked Chairman of the Guild - Dr. Ibrahim Olaifa

Williams said the truce was reached after intervention from elder statesmen such as Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the National Chairman of the Nigerian Medical Association, Dr. Omede Idris.

Williams said, “We have decided to call off this strike due to the constant intervention of Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu with the consent of the state governor, Babatunde Fashola.

“We are promising to double our efforts to make sure Lagosians enjoyed the best of health care services.

“We are saying let’s put everything behind us for those who have lost their loved ones one way or the other.”

He said that doctors would be at their duty post on Monday while the ongoing strike embarked upon by the state nurses was being resolved.

“The most important thing is that we will be at our duty post by Monday. We now have a new document and a signed agreement. We are also trusting the government to fufill its terms of the agreement.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110327228917
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by reindeer: 12:18pm On Mar 27, 2011
This is good news for the people of Lagos.
It is only sad that so many lives were lost before the government allowed reason to prevail. All those lives could have been saved if they had followed the path of common sense rather than useless politicking.
Some people on Nairaland must be rweally sad the doctors got their demands(sorry to those of you who thought it was impossible smiley)
I only hope the government will stand by its signed agreements this time so that this doesnt ever happen again.
That being said, a good government should now capitalise on this .
To whom much is given,'more' is expected.
After commencing payments, far reaching changes should be made to the service structure of workers in the state to deliver maximum benefit to the people using those hospitals. It is one thing to pay doctors well, it is another thing to have quality service.
i will suggest that they ensure regular retraining of medical (and other) personnel in the hospitals.
Change employment structure to fixed term contracts of 1-2years,with renewals subject to performance and doing update courses instead of the current endless civil service structure.
Moreso, things like a dedicated complaint line for malpractice and errors should be set up.
This is an opportunity to greatly improve the sector starting from doctors.
I hope the sector will have some rest after all the health workers are well taken care of and the politicians have less to steal and 'chop'.
Congratulations to all Lagos state doctors for getting their dues(certainly not their worth, they are worth a lot more than CONMESS).
Nice one BRF smiley
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by eghost247(m): 12:25pm On Mar 27, 2011
Wow 7WEEKS? thats damn too long come on
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by ifyalways(f): 12:33pm On Mar 27, 2011
We are saying lets put everything behind us for those that lost their loved ones one way or the other

Is that statement really necessary?Does it make sense or sound right?
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by Nobody: 12:39pm On Mar 27, 2011
Is this Tinubu of a man still the governor or what? Why must he always be so meddlesome in matters of the state. He should just get out of the way and allow the governor do his work peacefully.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by shagaman: 12:50pm On Mar 27, 2011
We are saying lets put everything behind us for those that lost their loved ones one way or the other

Is that statement really necessary?Does it make sense or sound right?

[color=#000099][/color] I have also been thing of the statement,would the Doctors now go and meet the people who lost their loved ones and say , ohh sorry we have resumed,there should be better ways to resolve issues especially concerning the health sector,The government and the Doctors need to really sit tight and perform their duties after all we pay tax,
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by rasputinn(m): 12:55pm On Mar 27, 2011
The doctors are as useless as the Tinubu that supposedly "intervened"
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by JimmyBoy1: 12:58pm On Mar 27, 2011
Elder statesmen, are always there to solve any problem that requires their goodwill to solve. You will remember when Bill Cliton flew to North Koreea to bring back two americans that were jailed on espionage charges, Navy seals couldn't have the feat.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by kayc: 1:06pm On Mar 27, 2011
Plz how much is this their conmess salary worth in naira. Thank you
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by babaowo: 1:14pm On Mar 27, 2011
Hmmmm after thousand had died Wicked souls both government nurses and doctor they will surely suffer this in Jesus name amen.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by Ajengogo(m): 1:20pm On Mar 27, 2011
Nonsense comment there by the chairman. As if the doctors would have prevented those that died during thier strike action from dying. He should know that people's life and death are in the hands of the Almighty.

He should stop dancing to the drumbeat of self-seeking politicians like Tinubu. Isn't it curious that this same Tinubu that earlier advocated for the sack of all the striking doctors is now becoming instrumental to the calling off of the strike action. I am just curious ooo.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by eros(m): 1:32pm On Mar 27, 2011
What can we say . . . . .someone will come on here and justify the actions of the Doctors.

This is very sad indeed. Talk about leaving everything behind for those that lost their loved ones. angry angry angry
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by slap1(m): 1:41pm On Mar 27, 2011
Does this mean that they decided to pick up their tools because of Tinubu's intervention, not because of the mounting number of the dead? Hippocrates must be turning in his grave. Shame on them!
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by oluwabamis(m): 2:07pm On Mar 27, 2011
hmm, when two elephants its always the grass that suffers the consequences. its unfortunate that our doctors who are rained to save lives have become so callous as to watch patience die in their very presence without any feelings. in any negotiation, no party gets all his demands, but theirs what we call compromise. if for example you are asking 30% raise and you get 20%, you should be able to accept that while preparing for the next stage. labour unions ought to understand the principles of negotiation. govt. should also be fair to the workforce.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 27, 2011
Ajengogo:

Nonsense comment there by the chairman. As if the doctors would have prevented those that died during thier strike action from dying. He should know that people's life and death are in the hands of the Almighty.

He should stop dancing to the drumbeat of self-seeking politicians like Tinubu. Isn't it curious that this same Tinubu that earlier advocated for the sack of all the striking doctors is now becoming instrumental to the calling off of the strike action. I am just curious ooo.

I am as curious too. I hope that they are not playing politics with human lives.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by tonytex: 3:34pm On Mar 27, 2011
shocked shocked shocked Tinubu again. OK now [color=#000099][/color]
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by agborodun: 4:55pm On Mar 27, 2011
THEY ARE SHOUTING EKO o NI BAJE AND PEOPLE HAS BEEN DYING FOR SEVEN WEEKS. Only God can save this nation. Tomorrow they will be criticising Jonathan while their house is on fire. Na wa o
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by cvibe: 5:33pm On Mar 27, 2011
Whilst many people were dying since 7 weeks ago, someone was busy jubilating waving brooms around.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by texazzpete(m): 6:06pm On Mar 27, 2011
eros:

What can we say . . . . .someone will come on here and justify the actions of the Doctors.

This is very sad indeed. Talk about leaving everything behind for those that lost their loved ones. angry angry angry

Well here I am to justify the actions of the doctors.

The strike only started when the Government failed to live up to their promises made last year. Moronic zombies like yourself will not turn the blame on the Government, instead you want to put blame on the fellow who needs more money to meet up with his living expenses. Money that is commensurate with the work he puts in.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by Mariory(m): 7:02pm On Mar 27, 2011
texazzpete:

The strike only started when the Government failed to live up to their promises made last year. Moronic zombies like yourself will not turn the blame on the Government, instead you want to put blame on the fellow who needs more money to meet up with his living expenses. Money that is commensurate with the work he puts in.

I think you are the massive M0ron in this case. You are such a M0r0nic zombie.

See how easy it was to blab out insults? Mor0n.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by eros(m): 7:21pm On Mar 27, 2011
texazzpete:

Dude let's assume we were to meet face to face, would you be able to repeat the above statement?  angry angry angry angry

It's funny how folks on nairaland can't bear their minds without resorting to insults.

I simply aired my view as i see fit and you have the right to air us without insulting others to feel important.

IF I CATCH YOU, YOU WILL WASH ALL MY POO STAINED BOXERS FOR 1 WEEK, WASH MY 2 YEAR BABY'S BUMBUM, THEN SPEND A WEEK IN THE GUARDROOM.  tongue tongue
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by evilspirit: 7:40pm On Mar 27, 2011
Mariory:

I think you are the massive M0ron in this case. You are such a M0r0nic zombie.

See how easy it was to blab out insults? Mor0n.

you are a big m0ronic person.because someone studied medicine.he should not live like normal human.i know doctors who are not practicing cos of poor remuneration.imagine all doctors decide to abandon medicine.will you call them wicked.now those who have decided not to leave medicine and not leave naija  are asking for more money you all say they are greedy.dont worry na ignorance they worry you.since inception of this country nigeria has produced less than 60000 doctors.those currently working in in nigeria are less than 30000.with a population of 150million we are under doctored.US has population of 300million and has abt 1million doctors.yet they consider themselves under doctored.dont pay them well more will leave.medicine is universal you can work anywhere once you pass their licensing exams.my brother who studied medicine in ife became cardiologist in US in 2004 and now earns about $500000 PA that's 75milla before tax.who will suffer when they all leave, you and i.maybe you don't know.our life expectancy is 50 while most developed world have 80+
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by Mariory(m): 7:41pm On Mar 27, 2011
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by Mariory(m): 7:43pm On Mar 27, 2011
evilspirit:

you are a big not-so-smart person.because someone studied medicine.he should not live like normal human.

Forget that long winded post. Let's deal with the basics. Please point out to me where I made such a point.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by eros(m): 7:43pm On Mar 27, 2011
. . . . . .
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by otokx(m): 7:47pm On Mar 27, 2011
doctors will still go on strike this year; you all mark my words.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by eros(m): 7:50pm On Mar 27, 2011
evilspirit and texazzpete are obviously looking for someone to haul insults at this beautiful evening. Nobody is in support of the actions of the Doctors or the Lagos State Government. Infact, i am more against the action of the Lagos State Government, than of the Doctors.

But the Doctors need to find other ways of passing their message across whenever they are aggrieved rather than let poor people die who cannot afford to go to private hospitals. This is the issue here, being sympathetic to the plight of the poor.

You should simply make your points known rather than derail the thread and resort to name calling like uncultured animals who never saw the four walls of a school.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by evilspirit: 8:05pm On Mar 27, 2011
eros:

evilspirit and texazzpete are obviously looking for someone to haul insults at this beautiful evening. Nobody is in support of the actions of the Doctors or the Lagos State Government. Infact, i am more against the action of the Lagos State Government, than of the Doctors.

But the [size=16pt]Doctors need to find other ways[/size] of passing their message across whenever they are aggrieved rather than let poor people die who cannot afford to go to private hospitals. This is the issue here, being sympathetic to the plight of the poor.

You should simply make your points known rather than derail the thread and resort to name calling like uncultured animals who never saw the four walls of a school.

other ways my foot.when you have animals in govt! even should strike happen in the first place?ask yourselves why doctors dont go on strike in some countries?because someone studied medicine he should wallow in poverty to save the nation.go tell that to bankers
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by eros(m): 8:15pm On Mar 27, 2011
^^^^^^That means you are in full support of the Doctor's strike? Obviously, you are either a Doctor or a relative of yours is one.

Now let's flip the table around. How would you feel, if your mother, father, brother, sister or maybe child was in a critical state when the Doctors where on strike and you did not have any money on you to afford a private hospital would you still be holding this position?

I bet not.

Let's learn to be objective in our reasoning and stop being biased simply because we are not favored by the situation at hand.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by evilspirit: 8:33pm On Mar 27, 2011
eros:

^^^^^^That means you are in full support of the Doctor's strike? Obviously, you are either a Doctor or a relative of yours is one.

Now let's flip the table around. How would you feel, if your mother, father, brother, sister or maybe child was in a critical state when the Doctors where on strike and you did not have any money on you to afford a private hospital would you still be holding this position?

I bet not.

Let's learn to be objective in our reasoning and stop being biased simply because we are not favored by the situation at hand.

read my post very well.my brother is doctor,a cardiologist,and work in texas  usa.he earns 500000k dollars(75million naira) per annum before tax.he schooled in ife.
let me ask you this will you send you child to school to earn a decent living or pity the poor and suffer in penury.my brother when he was in school collected twice my monthly allowances.my parents spent twice on him than they did for the other two combined.if he had stayed in nigeria he will be wallowing in  poverty.
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by Nauttyprof(m): 8:52pm On Mar 27, 2011
I must say this truth out of how I feel the pains of the masses. Its true govt. have to play their role but please the doctors and Nurses have to be blamed also. There is a better way in achieving their aims and not at the expense of lives. The reason you would hear is doctors couldnt afford some basics which is a lie, let them tell u the amount they get also and u will be shockd with their cries. Doctor dont abide by their oath of duty, i read the oath a day and was sad within me 'cos Doctors are heartless
Re: Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike by eros(m): 8:54pm On Mar 27, 2011
evilspirit:

read my post very well.my brother is doctor,a cardiologist,and work in texas  usa.he earns 500000k dollars(75million naira) per annum before tax.he schooled in ife.
let me ask you this will you send you child to school to earn a decent living or pity the poor and suffer in penury.my brother when he was in school collected twice my monthly allowances.my parents spent twice on him than they did for the other two combined.if he had stayed in nigeria he will be wallowing in  poverty.

[b]I get your point and i would never allow my child subject his/her self to such working condition. Besides, i am happy your brother is outside the country doing well, but the Doctors who chose to work for the State and Federal government should deal with whatever work conditions they find themselves.

As a Doctor, their number one duty is to save the life of the sick. I once wanted to be a Doctor because of the decay and lack of love and attention shown by the evil Nurses and some Doctors at the health centers when i was much younger. I always fight with Doctors and Nurses whenever i was slightly provoked because some of them cared-less about the sick and aged. I felt becoming a Doctor would give me the opportunity to change this menace in the health sector. Unfortunately, unforeseen events made me become a businessman.

If i were a Doctor, instead of going on strike, i will suggest we all pretend to resign or the Government meet our demands. This should work, because the Government will definitely not want a mass exodus of its Doctors resigning and leaving the sick unattended. Everybody would definitely call for the Governor's head. Like i said earlier, the Doctor's should think of other means of getting the Government meet their demands aside going on 7 whole long weeks strike.[/b]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Click HERE For Ur Herbal Remedies And Ethnobotanical Approaches To Diseases / 13% Of Under-five Deaths Worldwide Are In Nigeria – Wateraid / Married In Court,and Found Out My Wife Has Fibroid.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.