Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,575 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

Sad Truths About Living Abroad - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Sad Truths About Living Abroad (80264 Views)

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo / Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About / Some Tips About Living In Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Leshurr(f): 9:22pm On Dec 23, 2020
kushercain:

True, reminds me of the scene from Hidden figures.

Nice thread, pls explain #5 a bit
SEGLIZ:
@Leshurr, you didn't shed light on that #5.
kindly explain better.

Point 5 is pretty much self explanatory... but to expand further, ... Nigerian churches abroad are toxic because everything bad about Nigeria is practised there; mediocrity, corruption, nepotism, classism, hypocrisy, wickedness, envy, arrogance etc..
The focus is neither on God, nor attaining righteousness but rather on showing off, making money and being rewarded with titles in within the organisation (church).
... This is why you'd see economically disadvantaged people who actually live in council houses, dressing like millionaires in church whilst looking down on others who are just as poor as they are.. respect and honor is given to the most superficial of things.

194 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by justwise(m): 9:27pm On Dec 23, 2020
Leshurr:

Point 5 is pretty much self explanatory... but to expand further, ... Nigerian churches abroad are toxic because everything bad about Nigeria is practised there; mediocrity, corruption, nepotism, classism, hypocrisy, wickedness, envy, arrogance etc..
The focus is neither on God, nor attaining righteousness but rather on showing off, making money and being rewarded with titles in within the organisation (church).
... This is why you'd see economically disadvantaged people who actually live in council houses, dressing like millionaires in church whilst looking down on others who are just as poor as they are.. respect and honor is given to the most superficial of things.

Couldn't like this post enough.

I think this is common in all African churches

89 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by SEGLIZ: 9:39pm On Dec 23, 2020
Leshurr:

invariably an extension of the Nigerian society, now I understand better.
thanks for this.
E ko ere oko délé o.

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:52pm On Dec 23, 2020
Still 1000 times better than living in 2020 Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by KingsleyBuubba(m): 9:52pm On Dec 23, 2020
NEW YORK DREAM

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by lekki1444: 9:52pm On Dec 23, 2020
cheesy The abroad

3 Likes

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Yodexy: 9:52pm On Dec 23, 2020
But you don't want to come home

1 Like

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Gkay1(m): 9:52pm On Dec 23, 2020
soon I will know how it is. may God help me

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Sonnobax15(m): 9:52pm On Dec 23, 2020
cheesy. And the op ended up speaking the mind of over 99% of Nigerians living in Nigeria by saying he would choose abroad over Nigeria over and over again...

The truth is that I don't have any single problem with our leaders,but you see that angel that directed the sperm that formed me to Nigeria,me and am must throw blows when we go finally meet for heaven

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by yemiosinbajo: 9:54pm On Dec 23, 2020
Leshurr:

Not only in the church, but also anywhere Nigerians predominantly are. Check Nigerian organizations, even some campus organizations such as African Students Organizations and compare them to European Students (or Lantinx) Organizations. Check hospitals where Nigerians form the majority of nurses and check how they interact with each other. Now, compare the relationships of Nigerians in America to Indians or Chinese in America, and you'll find a stark difference. This shows that the problem of Nigeria isn't just the leaders but the people, and this is justified because the leaders come from among the people. And the weird thing is that when I discuss these things with other Africans in America such as Ghanaians and east Africans, they mention the same problems in their own communities too. Probably why Africa is the way it is today.

149 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by tnerro1(m): 9:56pm On Dec 23, 2020
I will do number 6 when I get there, don’t ask me why wink

1 Like

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by blackboy(m): 9:57pm On Dec 23, 2020
You are so so on point. No biased not saying naija is better but just pointed out facts about UK in general. Though indisputable.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 9:57pm On Dec 23, 2020
truthsayer009:

You should create a separate thread on this, how do Black Women get oppressed in London? I know this is common within Black American Men and their Women, they hate each other. But you are in London, so...

Comparing Black men from African who also grew up in Africa is predominantly different in terms of how they treat other black women from Africa. For example, i would rather date a Nigerian in the Uk than any other tribe.

And how come no one ever talks about the weather in the Uk, seems like Uk weather is really great.
UK great for where?
UK weather or Ireland weather, I don’t even know the one that is worst between them

6 Likes

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Karleb(m): 9:57pm On Dec 23, 2020
How exactly are these problems?

3 Likes

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 23, 2020
ednut1:
I like the silence - nothing concerns me with another man business grin. For the dating part blame some black women, they are usually rigid, still carry 9ja mentality about. Dont blame the guys going for other races or nationalities. I think those abroad should stop complaining as many here are seeing it as bad belle. You knew most of these things before going and you have refused to come back to Nigeria too. So make una just keep shut and enjoy your lives.

You live in Canada but still don't understand how the world works?

Na wa oh.
Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by jojofola: 9:58pm On Dec 23, 2020
Nigerians.

Look at how serious they are with the No. 5
We are too religious. Over religious sef.

It is now clear what the OP meant with the No. 5
Just read comments from the thread.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 23, 2020
Keshinr0:
Just avoid Nigeria churches abroad

I have a colleague who has been bugging em to come to their useless RCCG church to find a Nigerian girl to get married to..after reading so many stories...I am, good

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Derrylatei: 9:59pm On Dec 23, 2020
Ok

1 Like

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 23, 2020
If I relocate abroad, I will not live in black neighborhood and won't attend Nigerian church. I can validate your points judging by my experience when I went on vacation in Houston especially in the aspect of Nigerian church. Their unnecessary competition over there is toxic.

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Frustrated007: 9:59pm On Dec 23, 2020
BRATISLAVA where you dey? grin
I think I told you your kind are the least desired abroad grin
Lmao
Dey there they feel self importance.
Humble yourself before Nigerian men and treat us well then luckily we might consider marrying you to take away your pain grin grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Franktom247(m): 9:59pm On Dec 23, 2020
And 1 of my mumu guy say e dey miss 9ja

2 Likes

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 9:59pm On Dec 23, 2020
A Nigeria pastor almost broke up my family
I know a lot of people that Nigeria churches have broken up their marriage

Leshurr:

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by gregyboy(m): 10:00pm On Dec 23, 2020
Lotusflowerbomb:
I have a question on number 6. Is it because the white women are jealous that white men love black women, thus the disdain towards black women?

Remove that stereotypes from your head,

Nothing of such blacks marrying white is few in the usa

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by codemaniacs: 10:01pm On Dec 23, 2020
zz

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by SavageBoy: 10:01pm On Dec 23, 2020
ednut1:
I like the silence - nothing concerns me with another man business grin. For the dating part blame some black women, they are usually rigid, still carry 9ja mentality about. Dont blame the guys going for other races or nationalities. I think those abroad should stop complaining as many here are seeing it as bad belle. You knew most of these things before going and you have refused to come back to Nigeria too. So make una just keep shut and enjoy your lives.

Did you read and understand what she wrote in the last paragraph?...especially what she wrote in the last two lines of her post

You had better worked on your understanding and comprehension before you come and start disgracing your local government here

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Rasana: 10:01pm On Dec 23, 2020
Sir thank you very much for making my day

ote author=LLSAINT post=97355123]Good right up.
Abeg, e never late make we do exchange.
Make I go there and you come here. The following will be your experience:
1. Kidnapping everywhere to the point that a full bus loaded with passengers were kidnapped
2. The slightest noise, is presumed to be a bomb where people just run without even knowing the cause
3. You hold money to pay armed robbers in uniforms and in mufti in case yawa gas
4. Your one pound is my N700
5. No job let alone facing job discrimination
6. We thin because we regulate our feeding formular 001 (Morning, Afternoon, night)
The list is endless.....
We prefer to be a dog in the city than to remain a lion in an empty and corrupt jungle.[/quote]

3 Likes

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 10:02pm On Dec 23, 2020
Don’t try it
Please because once you are doing better then she drag you like mad woman
I will never ever step into Nigeria or Africa church again
God forbid
milehigh06:

I have a colleague who has been bugging em to come to their useless RCCG church to find a Nigerian girl to get married to..after reading so many stories...I am, good

2 Likes

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 23, 2020
Leshurr:
#1. The Silence is Deafening!

#3 Raising kids in a Predominantly Black Neighbourhood Can Spell Doom.
Bullying is incessant in these communities. Gang culture, crime, violence  etc..

this I do disagree with to a certain point...recently drove from Denver to Newjersey going through upstate NY and the turnpike, stopped in mass, Vermont and a few other states, and the level of poverty in the back woods will tell you a lot about rural America..the level of ignorance and crime if also crazy although, nothing comes close to Chicago and the funny thing is that, Chicago is more mixed than people think it is

11 Likes

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by favor914: 10:04pm On Dec 23, 2020
Leshurr:
#1. The Silence is Deafening!
When I first arrived in the West, I was so taken aback by how quiet everywhere was. On the way out of the airport, I looked around in awe as the pristine clean roads were not littered with with hawkers, jampacked cars , numerous pedestrians and the blaring sounds of horns! - although, mega-cities like New York is an exception to the rule. 

#2. Your Neighbours & The Police: You Can Co-exist with Neighbours for Years Without Ever Saying a Word to Each Other.
In the average neighbourhood, you can't make noise anyhow. Everyone minds their business. ... The most you will get out of your neighbors is an occasional nod and smile.
Although this doesn't deter them from watching your every move through their windows... they won't hesitate to call the cops/snitch on you at any slight opportunity. Make noise and fight with your spouse anyhow and you will find police knocking at your door.

#3 Raising kids in a Predominantly Black Neighbourhood Can Spell Doom.
Bullying is incessant in these communities. Gang culture, crime, violence  etc..

#4. Your Child(ren) can be Taken from You.
This almost happened to a close friend of mine whose nosy neighbour called  child services on her because she heard her baby crying for a lengthy period of time. And the police actually showed up to her house to carry out a thorough investigation on the living conditions of the baby.. Thank God nothing incriminating was found..
Moral of the story: be careful with how you care for/discipline your kids when living abroad.

#5. Nigerian Churches (most RCCG branches) are Epicenters for Drama & Toxicity.
Avoid! Just Avoid!

#6. Black (especially Nigerian women) are at the Bottom of the Food Chain; be it at the Workplace or on the Dating Scene.
Young black guys will rather date white or mixed race girls.. (may not be true for all) but my observation living in London.
...and at work, we have to work twice as hard to be respected and valued. The biggest oppressor of a black woman at work is a white woman (and in some cases, your fellow blacks).. but not a white man surprisingly. 

#7. You will Happily Miss Home from Afar and be so Much More Invested in the Affairs of Nigeria than Those Living in Nigeria.

Need I say more? smiley

#8.You May Gain Weight.
Why??
Kebabs & Pizzas
Chicken and chips.
Cheap and irresistibly delicious chinese takeaways cheesy
Fish & chips
Burgers,
TGI Fridays & Nandos

Important Note: This is a light hearted post and just a snippet of my experience so far living abroad.. it isn't perfect here, but I'd choose this over and over again than my experiences living in Nigeria.
Couldn’t be further from the truth, nowhere like home, that is why I am so adamant that Nnenna Kanu will beg to visit Nigeria, sooner than later he will get homesick be it 2028, the irony of life is that the same Governors he is belittling today, will be the same persons that will be pleading on his behalf in future.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by gregyboy(m): 10:04pm On Dec 23, 2020
Leshurr:

Some white men do 'fetishize' black women but ..generally, most wouldn't opt for a black girl.

Yea every race should stick to themselves
Re: Sad Truths About Living Abroad by erico2k2(m): 10:06pm On Dec 23, 2020
Nicoswit:

They call the police on blacks fort the same reason they wont bother calling the police if it has to do with a white person
They DO, its even worse when its whites

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

My Visit To Oron Crayfish Market Akwa Ibom State / See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.