Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:02 PM

Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade (49223 Views)

900 Nigeria Sex Workers In Ghana / See Photos Of 20,000 Nigerian Girls Who Were Trafficked To Mali For Sex Trade / Funny Abuja Nigeria Sex Position As Seen On Tv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by Etinosa1234: 7:21pm On Dec 25, 2020
FEATURE: In Nigeria’s sex trade, there is space for mothers and grandmothers too
"It is only the small girls running after Yahoo boys and rich men that don't have kids. Many of us here have nothing to lose. We have children and are raising them well.”

She sits on a plastic chair in front of her room amidst other sex workers waiting for customers. The signage on the building aptly indicates the sort of business going on here in Akrabata, Ile-Ife, Osun State. It states: “Mosa fun e to,” which in Yoruba roughly translates to “I have run far enough from you.”

The passage is dimly lit by a blue bulb. An empty chair simply means the owner is in her room attending to a client.

While there have been a series of reports on underage sex workers and many others, this reporter found that the sex trade in Nigeria is not alien to mothers and grandmothers too.

Even amidst the Coronavirus pandemic and the heath protocols demanding social distancing, the night workers continue with their activities. They do not doubt that Coronavirus is real but their trade requires them to take risks.

Unlike in other joints where hip-hop music rules the waves, what you hear here are mostly old tunes by Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey, Wasiu Ayinde, Ayinla Omowura and other such senior Yoruba musicians.

“Do you want to pull off your clothes or not?” this reporter’s choice for the day asks as they enter her room, indicating her service options. She explains that going nude costs more.

A few minutes earlier, she had deceived the reporter with her ‘asset.’ She is wearing a supportive bra called “push up.” In the room, the reporter finds her breasts saggy. She says it was as a result of her age and child breastfeeding. No wonder her colleagues call her Iya Emma. A closer look indicates she is about 60. She confesses that she has four children and a grandson.

In Ile-Ife, sex workers offer short-time service for N500. However, you can beat the price down if you are going more than a round, such as to N1200 for three rounds.

There are many male condoms on Iya Emma’s bed. She fetches one as she urges the reporter to hurry up so that she can attract more ‘clients’.

“My son, time is not on our side. You like to dey ask questions ooo. Shey na lawyer you be?”

The reporter handed her N1,000 and asks, “How is Emma? Where is he?”

“But your questions are too much,” she replies.

The story
As it is late already, she asks if the reporter is spending the night with her. She says that will cost him N3,000. The reporter says yes and her face brightens up. “That means I have to tell my colleagues goodnight.”

She will give three rounds of sex for the night, she says. She immediately changes the bedspread so that they can enjoy the night.

Iya Emma becomes more comfortable in talking about her life. Emma is in Niger State with his siblings. She had divorced her husband long ago and has had to raise their kids alone.

She had joined the sex trade in 2012 in Niger State. She was pushed into it by her need to raise money so that her kids could complete their education. Emma was seeking admission at that time but later abandoned school for farming. He is now married with a son, she narrates.

“I started in 2012 when I needed to raise money for my first child so that he could go to university. Since their father no longer stayed with us and we don’t know his whereabouts, the responsibility was on me. I was introduced into the business by a friend who told me I had nothing to lose since I had given birth to enough children. She told me Emma, who was 21 then, could take care of his siblings.”

Today, she’s a veteran sex worker and has built a three-bedroom house from the trade.

The reporter asks if her children are aware of her line of business.

“None of them knows till date. That was why I left Niger. I came to Ile-Ife because a family friend knows the terrain here and I can tell you that l have made more money here.”

“My children stay in the house I built in Niger. I go home every three months to check them. By December, I will return home finally and bring an end to this job.”

How has she managed to keep her children from knowing the kind job she does?

“You will find something to tell them. If you were in my shoes, would you tell them you are ashewo?”

Not the only mother in the business
It is already 11:30 p.m and she is curious that the reporter has not asked for a condom.

“Will you just sleep like that? It’s late already, let’s start now or are you tired?”

“I am wondering if I really want to do this with my mother’s age mate.”

She is not offended by the remark. Instead, she asks the reporter to look at it as a business transaction.

“I have many of my son’s mates who patronise me. I treat them like my sons. Many of my colleagues here don’t treat young men like that,” she says.

“You mean you’re not the only elderly woman here?”

“No,” she says. Susan, whose room is next to hers, has three children. Susan is not around now because she had gone to Ibadan to see her children. Susan’s husband had died in a road accident, the reason she got into the trade.

Iya Emma says many of the prostitutes in brothels that she knows are mothers.

“It is only the small girls running after Yahoo boys and rich men that don’t have kids. Many of us here have nothing to lose. We have children and are raising them well.

“I can’t deny that there is money in this job. On a good day, I make as much as N15, 000. There are occasions when your good customers give you more money than you charge. Such people come too sometimes when they don’t have money. When they have money, they will pay for the previous service and give you extra too.”

It is 1:15 a.m. and the reporter is falling asleep. She notices and asks again if nothing is going to happen. But the conversation is interrupted by a knock on the door. The reporter is afraid, wondering if he is safe.

“I beg give me small tissue and one condom,” a tiny voice says from the other side of the door. “My condom don finish.”

“That’s Folakemi,” Iya Emma says to the reporter. “A man must be passing the night with her as well.”

Although Folakemi is young, she is a mother of one,” Iya Emma says after attending to her.

What next?
Iya Emma wakes up around 4:17 a.m and notices that the reporter is awake too. Why did the reporter sleep without asking for sex? she asks again, looking incredulous.

The reporter explains that he had had a busy day before coming to the brothel.

“At least you gave me a place to lay my head and I can always come back for sex. It may even be tonight.”

She laughs. “You are not serious. Are you still tired this morning?”

“Yes.”

The reporter notices a banner of Jesus Christ in the room. When she stands up from the bed, she kneels down beside it to pray. Obviously, she does this every morning. The reporter wonders what her prayer points are. Asking for forgiveness for her career choice? Thanking God for bringing a customer who paid but didn’t ask for service? Or praying for her children in Niger State?

Then the reporter caught a part of the prayer asking God to protect her against the coronavirus.

“Father-Lord, accept all my prayers in Jesus name,” she concludes aloud.

She notices the reporter smiling and asks why.

Does she take other precautions against the coronavirus aside from prayers?

She explains how sex workers operate. They take risks, she says, but they are also careful.

She says patronage reduced during the coronavirus-induced lockdown. However, the night workers charged more to compensate for the reduced turnover and the increased risks.

“Some customers ran away during the period but we have no other job. For me, I always wash my hands and use hand sanitisers. You have spent the night with me, how am I sure you don’t have any sickness worse than Coronavirus?

“Because this place is hidden, it saved us from harassment during the lockdown. Even when police visit, some of them collect money while others will enter the room with any of us for service. That was the sacrifice then. Everyone here has hand sanitisers for their customers.

“Life is risky and to make money is not easy. But as I said, I have achieved a lot between 2012 and now. By December, I have to go back home and stay with my kids. What matters most is having a roof over your head and I have achieved that from this business.”

At 5:30 a.m, the reporter says good bye to Iya Emma and promises to return another day soon.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/features-and-interviews/425008-feature-in-nigerias-sex-trade-there-is-space-for-mothers-and-grandmothers-too.html

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by Vanzcharles(m): 7:23pm On Dec 25, 2020
sad.
Stop calling mods, posts wey go reach FP go reach!!!

Modified
At last e dn reach Front page grin. Etinosa1234 u don happy Shey grin grin grin.

I don make FTC again but today own special. winklast day of the year cheesy.

Yay!!!!!!!
Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!! 2021 in a jiffy

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by Oxtertee(m): 7:52pm On Dec 25, 2020
Wetin 3 wise men no go see for Bethlehem cool

2ndTC on a Christmas evening.
Uncle cclalasticlala, do give away nau
Real niqqar should drop something for boys nau ccSlawormirr

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 25, 2020
This Report na Badoo....So e Stay with Old Ashawooo til morning and even promise to visit again?!
"Person wey use Elephant set trap,na him know wetin e won Catch" But "Na for Day time Dem dey find Black Goat Sha na so our people talk am.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by SAMBARRY: 8:57pm On Dec 25, 2020
What did I just read shocked lipsrsealed

How can I unread this? lipsrsealed

JESUS take the wheel lipsrsealed

The world has lost it lipsrsealed

60 year old granny dey do asewo still dey call her customer "her son" lipsrsealed

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by Federalmike: 10:03pm On Dec 25, 2020
where is the brothel located at akarabata ?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by SpiritFree: 10:51pm On Dec 25, 2020
Wow
Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by SGANIVA(m): 7:22am On Dec 26, 2020
woman who involved in prostitution have no excuse for such.God bless all genuine hustling mother's out there who are doing everything genuinely possible to put food on there table

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by Donspicey: 8:31am On Dec 26, 2020
What do u expect wen d economy is not encouraging?......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by DoubleEngine007: 10:05am On Dec 26, 2020
SGANIVA:
woman who involved in prostitution have no excuse for such.God bless all genuine hustling mother's out there ,who are doing everything genuinely possible to put food on there table
Really? Don't judge anyone if you don't know the reason behind their actions. I do not encourage it,but most of them are into it for one reason or the other. It won't be a bad thing ,if every year you go giving some of these ladies a helping hand. Some genuinely want to change, so if you can empower them ,start up something for them,they will leave that bad life style. Person when get children ,her husband died ,nothing to feed the kids. If she beg you, you won't give her.. If she kill herself, you self go complain say she for no do am. I stopped judging people a long time ago. I help those I'm capable of helping ,rather than judging.

148 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 26, 2020
it always same story.

divorce husband
my kids
wicked step mum
madam bring me from village to learn work

23 Likes

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by anthonyuncle(m): 3:25pm On Dec 27, 2020
make i hear say na 2012 she begin do ashewo.

or

make i hear say she go quit this December

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by wunmi590(m): 9:56pm On Dec 31, 2020
grin
Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by ATEAMS: 9:56pm On Dec 31, 2020
Nawao
Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by GIANTPLUSHUB: 9:57pm On Dec 31, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by biden123(m): 9:57pm On Dec 31, 2020
wink

9 Likes

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by OBTMOS(m): 9:57pm On Dec 31, 2020
Girls are cashing out from this trade
Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by callmetoniaa: 9:57pm On Dec 31, 2020
Happy New year to all my nairalanders .was rushing to be the first to comment only for me to get here and see the space has already been taken..na wa ooo. Una no dey go church self?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by Latidoh1: 9:57pm On Dec 31, 2020
The oldest profession

2 Likes

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 31, 2020
the sex trade now happens more on apps

than on the streets

it fuels the uber industry in lagos shocked

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by bluefilm: 9:57pm On Dec 31, 2020
Ashawo no be work

But like umu obiligbo said, "Imagine life without olosho... some guys ga ..." grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by Latidoh1: 9:57pm On Dec 31, 2020
Akunna chi umu

3 Likes

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by travelwaka: 9:58pm On Dec 31, 2020
Hmmmmm the Nigerian sex industry has got to be one of the biggest industries in Nigeria. It's the trade that the seller does not necessarily look for the customer but the customers will always find it's way to the seller. It's a multi billion dollar industry. It's an industry that almost everyone engages in one way or the other but will never come out clean that they are engaging in it.

As funny as it sounds , the Nigerian sex industry is the biggest in Africa, it's so big that it's being exported throughout the world.

As a traveller I get to see so many things. All over Nigeria including the core religious state. The sex trade there is almost the same with the liberal states.

The sex industry doesn't discriminate, it accepts all religion, tribe and political structure.

The sad part is majority of the victims are young girls under the age of 18 and the other sad part is they are being controlled by some powerful women who are usually the pimps.

The educated ones are using the internet to sell theirs on a global scale.

I still wonder why sex has so much power on humans

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by PinkPill(f): 9:58pm On Dec 31, 2020
Her life, Her choice undecided
Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by TechCapon(m): 9:59pm On Dec 31, 2020
Omo this sex trade is very lucrative o grin

I saw a documentary about naija sex trade on YouTube and the truth is that those girls who are involved knows exactly what they are doing. The only ones that complain are the ones who are cheated by their madam

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by Biingoo: 9:59pm On Dec 31, 2020
NwaAmaikpe bia were cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by kennyade3h: 10:01pm On Dec 31, 2020
the called pussy is very powerful
Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by AfonjaMuslim: 10:01pm On Dec 31, 2020
Yorubas and prostitution

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by Psalmy2cute(m): 10:02pm On Dec 31, 2020
Re: Inside Nigeria's Sex Trade by happney65: 10:05pm On Dec 31, 2020
60year Old Mama?Jesu.. shocked Wonders shall never end

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When your bae says "I love you" / Guys!!! What Is The Worst Embarrassment You Received From A Lady? / I'm Afraid Of My Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.