Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,454 members, 7,808,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates (340 Views)

Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons / Breaking News: Us President Cancelled Bill Gates Project / I Now Understand Trump's "Shithole" Comment About Africa, Uhuru Kenyatta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates by ibson99(m): 6:33pm On Dec 26, 2020
Bill Gates, the co-chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), has expressed concern over the minimal level of COVID-19 infection in Africa.

The American philanthropist said this in the health sector in his end of the year review on Gates Notes, he wrote “One thing I’m happy to have been wrong about—at least, I hope I was wrong—is my fear that COVID-19 would run rampant in low-income countries”.

An estimated 738 million people live on the African continent. Back in February when Africa recorded its first case of Covid-19, experts feared the worse.

In a report published by The Lancet, Michel Yao, the WHO’s Africa program manager for emergency operations, said: “We all know how fragile health systems [are] in the African continent, they are already overwhelmed by many outbreaks.”

“For us, it is critical to detect coronavirus earlier [so] that we can prevent spreading within communities that can trigger a number of cases that can overwhelm the treatment capacity.”

Similarly, in a presentation at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Seattle back in February, Bill Gates reportedly warned that the coronavirus could overwhelm health systems on the African continent.

“This disease, if it’s in Africa … it’s more dramatic than if it’s in China, even though I’m not trying to minimize what’s going on in China in any way,” Gates said, according to a report by The Telegraph. “Will this get into Africa or not and if so, will those health systems be overwhelmed?”

Gates said the potential impact in sub-Saharan Africa could be “very, very dramatic.”

Drawing some similarities between Covid-19 and Ebola, Gates said, the coronavirus is more concerning than Ebola since it spreads far faster.

“If you look at Ebola, most of the excess deaths were caused because the health service shut down,” Gates said. “It’s not just the direct effect, it’s also the panic, the overload, and the things that affect health workers because you’re already at a very limited capacity.”

However, in his end of the year review on Gates Notes, the global health campaigner expressed relief Africa has been spared the full devastation of the Covid-19 pandemic.

He said: “One thing I’m happy to have been wrong about—at least, I hope I was wrong—is my fear that COVID-19 would run rampant in low-income countries.”

“So far, this hasn’t been true. In most of sub-Saharan Africa, for example, case rates and death rates remain much lower than in the U.S. or Europe and on par with New Zealand, which has received so much attention for its handling of the virus.”

“The hardest-hit country on the continent is South Africa—but even there, the case rate is 40 percent lower than in the U.S., and the death rate is nearly 50 percent lower.”

He also stated that they don’t yet have enough data to understand why COVID-19 numbers have not been as high as predicted in Africa.

“We don’t have enough data yet to understand why the numbers aren’t as high as I worried they would get. It helped that some countries locked down early.”

Many experts have tried to explain why Africa has low Covid-19 numbers. Some say it’s due to the fact that some countries locked down early in the pandemic, others say it’s the continent’s youthful demographics. According to Bill Gates, Covid-19 numbers might appear low “because gaps in poor countries’ health care systems are making it hard to monitor the disease accurately”.

https://africaexplained.com.ng/we-dont-yet-understand-why-covid-19-numbers-arent-as-high-as-predicted-in-africa-bill-gates/

Re: We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates by Nobody: 6:33pm On Dec 26, 2020
ok , we Africans were really lucky concerning this covid 19
Re: We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates by TruthSeeker1: 6:41pm On Dec 26, 2020
It's because we are Godly and prayerful.

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates by Tomilola360: 6:42pm On Dec 26, 2020
andrewmeddy8:
ok , we Africans were really lucky concerning this covid 19

Poverty is a deadlier virus actually. Na only rich people dey die of covid for Africa, hence the small numbers.

undecided

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates by powerkey: 6:51pm On Dec 26, 2020
ibson99:
Bill Gates, the co-chair of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), has expressed concern over the minimal level of COVID-19 infection in Africa.

The American philanthropist said this in the health sector in his end of the year review on Gates Notes, he wrote “One thing I’m happy to have been wrong about—at least, I hope I was wrong—is my fear that COVID-19 would run rampant in low-income countries”.

An estimated 738 million people live on the African continent. Back in February when Africa recorded its first case of Covid-19, experts feared the worse.

In a report published by The Lancet, Michel Yao, the WHO’s Africa program manager for emergency operations, said: “We all know how fragile health systems [are] in the African continent, they are already overwhelmed by many outbreaks.”

“For us, it is critical to detect coronavirus earlier [so] that we can prevent spreading within communities that can trigger a number of cases that can overwhelm the treatment capacity.”

Similarly, in a presentation at the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Seattle back in February, Bill Gates reportedly warned that the coronavirus could overwhelm health systems on the African continent.

“This disease, if it’s in Africa … it’s more dramatic than if it’s in China, even though I’m not trying to minimize what’s going on in China in any way,” Gates said, according to a report by The Telegraph. “Will this get into Africa or not and if so, will those health systems be overwhelmed?”

Gates said the potential impact in sub-Saharan Africa could be “very, very dramatic.”

Drawing some similarities between Covid-19 and Ebola, Gates said, the coronavirus is more concerning than Ebola since it spreads far faster.

“If you look at Ebola, most of the excess deaths were caused because the health service shut down,” Gates said. “It’s not just the direct effect, it’s also the panic, the overload, and the things that affect health workers because you’re already at a very limited capacity.”

However, in his end of the year review on Gates Notes, the global health campaigner expressed relief Africa has been spared the full devastation of the Covid-19 pandemic.

He said: “One thing I’m happy to have been wrong about—at least, I hope I was wrong—is my fear that COVID-19 would run rampant in low-income countries.”

“So far, this hasn’t been true. In most of sub-Saharan Africa, for example, case rates and death rates remain much lower than in the U.S. or Europe and on par with New Zealand, which has received so much attention for its handling of the virus.”

“The hardest-hit country on the continent is South Africa—but even there, the case rate is 40 percent lower than in the U.S., and the death rate is nearly 50 percent lower.”

He also stated that they don’t yet have enough data to understand why COVID-19 numbers have not been as high as predicted in Africa.

“We don’t have enough data yet to understand why the numbers aren’t as high as I worried they would get. It helped that some countries locked down early.”

Many experts have tried to explain why Africa has low Covid-19 numbers. Some say it’s due to the fact that some countries locked down early in the pandemic, others say it’s the continent’s youthful demographics. According to Bill Gates, Covid-19 numbers might appear low “because gaps in poor countries’ health care systems are making it hard to monitor the disease accurately”.

https://africaexplained.com.ng/we-dont-yet-understand-why-covid-19-numbers-arent-as-high-as-predicted-in-africa-bill-gates/

Idiot.

You should be concerned about Americans that are dying in hundreds of thousands by the day like chickens.

Lean Africa from that your evil plans
Re: We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates by psucc(m): 6:51pm On Dec 26, 2020
He can simply bring the virus but that must start with those collecting billions in loans without anything to show
Re: We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 26, 2020
I can see that some zombies are already wailing and gnashing their teeth, based on the fact that that Bill's richer than their whole family line.

Follow my signature to get 200# awoof airtime

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates by Fahdiga(m): 7:06pm On Dec 26, 2020
Your wish didn't come to fruition
Re: We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates by Ekpeitut: 7:10pm On Dec 26, 2020
Science can not explain every single event that happens in the world. A wise man once said Africa is the birth place of civilization and the world will have to end first for Africa to end. Sorry Bill Gates whatever your evil plans for Africa is, it won't work.

Mother Africa's got so much love for we Africans. However, we are plagued with bad leadership strategically put in place and supported by those who are threatened by what an enlightened and evolved Africa can become.
Re: We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates by Righteousness2(m): 8:01pm On Dec 26, 2020
Ok
Re: We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 26, 2020
Tomilola360:

Poverty is a deadlier virus actually. Na only rich people dey die of covid for Africa, hence the small numbers.

undecided
poor people dey die too, na becos poor man own no dey reach news
Re: We Don’t Yet Understand Why COVID-19 Numbers Aren’t As High In Africa-bill Gates by hakeemhakeem(m): 11:25am On Jan 02, 2021
malaria parasites has built our immune systems since childhood so covid is minor

(1) (Reply)

Chinese Billionaire Jack Ma Suspected Missing / President Biden Has Just Announced "No One Should Go To Jail For A Drug Offense / Philippines Plane Crash - At Least 50 Dead, Dozens Injured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.