Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:42 AM

Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box (1954 Views)

How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? / PLS Help Before I Loose My Gear Box... Money No Dey / What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box by Michealsmith066: 6:12am On Dec 27, 2020
Guys merry x mas.

It just came to my notice that my gearbox oil is leaking from the shaft.

I’m driving a 2003 Toyota Camry. I’ve read a lot about transmission developing issues once tempered with.

I took it to my mechanic, he said the seal joining the shaft to the gear box is bad and need to be change. ( pics attached)

I’m afraid because I’ve seen a lot of people loose their gearbox once tempered with.

Guys, how can you help. What Measures should I take to save guard my car.

Should I get a new seal? Will it affect the gearbox.

Abeg make una help me.

Re: Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box by santakris(m): 7:00am On Dec 27, 2020
Change the seal but don't allow them to refill the gear box with the oil that spill out from that joint. Some oil will come out when that shaft is removed.

You may use the opportunity to drain and change your gear oil or just buy 1 litre oil to replace the one that leaked out.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box by femi4: 7:05am On Dec 27, 2020
Michealsmith066:
Guys merry x mas.

I’m driving a 2003 Toyota Camry. I’ve read a lot about transmission developing issues once tempered with.

I took it to my mechanic, he said the seal joining the shaft to the gear box is bad and need to be change. ( pics attached)

I’m afraid because I’ve seen a lot of people loose their gearbox once tempered with.

Abeg make una help me.
The seal has expanded. Change it, drain and refill with a new gear oil. Please use recommended gear oil (type T IV) to avoid future occurrence

3 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box by Mayor555(m): 3:38pm On Dec 27, 2020
Michealsmith066:
Guys merry x mas.

Abeg make una help me.

The seal has expanded just as oga femi said up there...

Your transmission won't even be removed...it's nothing, don't be scared.

After the seal(s) have been replaced, check the oil level. If it's low, drain and refill with type T iv.

Besides the 10pin transmission inside your 03 Camry hardly die! It's a rugged transmission.

Proceed with no fear.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box by mxoneglobal(m): 11:56pm On Dec 27, 2020
Park the car at the mechanics workshop and ensure you leave the car to cool for at least 24 hours before fixing else your transmission will fail after fixing the issue mentioned.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box by mxoneglobal(m): 11:57pm On Dec 27, 2020
Also use the recommended oil when topping up your tranny. Your car manual should guide you.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box by diportivo: 7:08am On Dec 28, 2020
mxoneglobal:
Park the car at the mechanics workshop and ensure you leave the car to cool for at least 24 hours before fixing else your transmission will fail after fixing the issue mentioned.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box by stillseth: 9:34am On Dec 28, 2020
I recently changed my gear, bought another gear and after over 2 weeks of usage it's giving me this "hummmm" sound (raising) itself when it get to a certain point that the gear wants to change, I took it to a "Gear master" to have it checked, he calibrated it and after days of working on it...Got the car back today and it's still doing the same thing... I don tire...Don't even know what else to do now...anyone knows anything that can be done or could be the reason or cause for the gear raising it's self all of a sudden? And what could be wrong with the gear.
Re: Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box by timenamoney: 12:31am On Dec 29, 2020
I once experience gear oil shortage in my gear box my mechanic said am going change the seal between the engine and gear box , after the fix I was still experiencing same shortage ,I was using a two fan radiator and the fan close to the gear box(driver side) was bad but the one one close to the engine( passenger side) is working well , after fixing the bad fan close to the gear box the shortage stopped automatically , that when I realized that the shortage is coursed by overheating of the gear box but with the help of the fixed fan everything became ok and gear oil is now stable

ADVICE : always make sure the fan close to the gear box is functioning properly , it helps in cooling the gear box

3 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box by FirstServices: 3:03pm On Sep 11, 2022
My Camry 2005 just started leaking oil too and the mechanic said it’s the deal between the gear and engine that needs to be changed ….please do they need to remove the engine or gear before doing that Thanks
Re: Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 11, 2022
All of una "my mechanic"How he take be your mechanic?

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box by FirstServices: 2:53pm On Sep 12, 2022
Please where where you able to fix the fault by just changing the shaft seal ?
Re: Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box by sentaljohn(m): 4:14pm On Jun 18, 2023
FirstServices:
My Camry 2005 just started leaking oil too and the mechanic said it’s the deal between the gear and engine that needs to be changed ….please do they need to remove the engine or gear before doing that Thanks

Were you able to solve this?

(1) (Reply)

Advice On A Used Camry V6 / Vibrating Toyota Camry / Toyota's Corolla And Yaris Which To Buy As First Car Owner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.