Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,737 members, 7,802,219 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

Social Media Could End Marriage As We Know It, By Fredrick Nwabufo - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Social Media Could End Marriage As We Know It, By Fredrick Nwabufo (209 Views)

Opinion: Social Media Could End Marriage As We Know It, By Fredrick Nwabufo / Man To End Marriage Of 16 Years With His Wife After Discovering Her Real Age / Court Dissolves Marriage As DNA Reveals Child’s Paternity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Social Media Could End Marriage As We Know It, By Fredrick Nwabufo by shehuolayinka(m): 11:06am On Dec 27, 2020
Chioma is having troubles with her mother-in-law. I know because she made it headline news on her social media page. She does not share her concerns with the other party in the nuptial contract or with a trained counsellor, but with aliens on social media who are sweating on the treadmill of their own problems and who have no understanding of the situational context.

Hear Chioma: ‘’It has been uncomfortable living with my mother-in-law. She insists I do my husband’s laundry which I never did even while we were dating and in our first few years of marriage. My husband’s laundry has always been done by dry-cleaners. Beyond this, I feel policed in my own house; like I am working on egg shells. I do not know how to talk to my husband about it. Please I will appreciate your advice on how to deal with this problem. I will be reading comments.’’

Social media could end marriage as we know it. It has become the stranger in the bed of matrimony. It is the third wheel on which some spouses unload their marital problems, but which most times complicates them. A husband goes on a philippic on social media on how women are unfaithful because he suspects his partner is cheating, and a wife flies ‘the men are scum’ trope because she suspects her spouse has a side chick – to the entertainment of strangers who do not give a hoot.

I recall the case of a certain man who went on a social media joyride, revealing lewd details of his wife. The marriage ended in divorce.

I think marital differences become irreconcilable when social media is invited to bed. The internet never forgets. Really, we live in a society where marriage counsellors are mostly pastors without training and who lack competence to advise anyone on marriage. Biblical prescriptions often counselled by pastors – of ‘’wife submit to your husband and husband love your wife’’ – are flawed and vacant of real-life solutions.

So, most people turn to social media to vent about their marital challenges and seek answers from strangers – without vicarious experience. But every marriage experience is unique. As faces are different, so are the problems. It is not one size-fits-all. The prescriptions for marriage A could be lethal for marriage B. I believe every marriage must work out its own salvation, and in the event peace becomes the Holy Grail in the union, there is the exit door which is as wide as the entry door. Marriage should not be a life sentence with hard labour. But fundamentally, salvaging it should be primary.

READ MORE HERE: https://thebelltimesng.com/2020/12/27/social-media-could-end-marriage-as-we-know-it-by-fredrick-nwabufo/

(1) (Reply)

Understanding Your Love Language / Irish Potato Frittata Specially Made For Your Kids / 1 Day To Close Of Entry For The Cussons Baby Moments Season 7 Competition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.