Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,681 members, 7,801,963 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown (2569 Views)

2023 Polls Won’t Mar Nigeria - Sultan, CAN, SGF / Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Killing Of Muslims In Jos / Buhari Condemns Boko Haram Killings, Urges Military To Sustain Attacks On Terror (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Elvictor: 8:40pm On Dec 27, 2020
The sultan of Sokoto, the spiritual leader of Nigeria's Muslims, has condemned the military crackdown against the Islamist Boko Haram sect.
"We cannot solve violence with violence," Mohamed Sa'ad Abubakar told a meeting of religious leaders.
The Boko Haram, based in the north-eastern city of Maiduguri, says it is fighting for Islamic rule.
It has been behind recent assassinations of prominent figures and a wave of bombings.
Two years ago, Nigeria's security forces brutally suppressed an uprising by the sect, destroying its compound in Maiduguri - the capital of Borno state - and then capturing and killing its leader Mohammed Yusuf.
Instead of disappearing, the group, which opposes Western education and is fighting for Islamic rule, re-emerged last September and vowed to avenge its leader's death.
Last month, it said it had carried out an attack on the headquarters of the Nigerian police in Abuja, which killed at least six people.
But the response of the security forces has led to criticism from rights group and the governor of Borno state.
Correspondents say many residents of Maiduguri are now more scared of the army than they are of Boko Haram.
"That problem can never be solved by drafting soldiers into cities where there is [a] problem - and in the process innocent lives were lost," said the sultan, who once served as military officer.
It is the first time the sultan has spoken about the Boko Haram insurgency.
Muslim clerics who have criticised the sect have been among those targeted for assassination in drive-by shootings over the past year.
The sultan also said the five policemen who have just gone on trial this month for the killing of Mr Yusuf should not be given bail.
Boko Haram's official name is Jama'atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda'awati wal-Jihad, which in Arabic means "People Committed to the Propagation of the Prophet's Teachings and Jihad".
But residents of Maiduguri, where it was formed in 2002, dubbed it Boko Haram.
Loosely translated from the local Hausa language, this means Western education is forbidden.
Boko Haram sees such education as corrupting Muslims.
Nigeria - Africa's most populous nation - is split between the predominately Muslim north and largely Christian south
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-14342863
Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Fahdiga(m): 8:46pm On Dec 27, 2020
Let the pretence continue. like I always says, Boko Haram is a problem of the north, by the north and for the north. my only anger is that they are looting Niger delta oil money all in the name of fighting terrorism

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by capatainrambo: 8:48pm On Dec 27, 2020
Just imagine

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by JudazKeyz: 8:48pm On Dec 27, 2020
This is really laughable!
Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Elvictor: 8:48pm On Dec 27, 2020

Allah Abkar!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Marine54(m): 8:49pm On Dec 27, 2020
No be today

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Shelumiel: 8:50pm On Dec 27, 2020
Now we know the sponsors of Boko-haram.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Macphenson: 8:58pm On Dec 27, 2020
If you are looking for the sponsors of Boko Haram, look no more.

From " an attack in Boko Haram is an attack on the north" to this.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by ValCon888: 9:00pm On Dec 27, 2020
I'm not even angry that Nigeria was colonized. I'm upset the northern and southern halves were almagamated. If not this would have been a problem for a foreign country and the south would have been watching like spectators.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by limeta(f): 9:01pm On Dec 27, 2020
sultan, who once served as military officer.
It is the first time the sultan has spoken about the Boko Haram insurgency.

Boss of all bosses

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Elvictor: 9:09pm On Dec 27, 2020
Mynd44

this is a high profiled citizen voicing out concerning the ills in our country, Front page worthy sir.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by illicit(m): 9:13pm On Dec 27, 2020
shocked

It doesn't seem like recent news tho....
Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Racoon(m): 9:24pm On Dec 27, 2020
-"A fight against BH terrorists is a fight against the north." -Buhari.

-"The proscription of Ansaru(BH) is unconstitutional."
- And now -"The sultan of Sokoto, the spiritual leader of Nigeria's Muslims, has condemned the military crackdown against the Islamist Boko Haram sect."We cannot solve violence with violence," -Mohamed Sa'ad Abubakar.

Cant imagine the revered sultan also once made a implicating statement like this in the time past.Yet DSS said it doesn't know the sponsors of BH terrorists or we keep saying BH or any other form of terrorism can be defeated with overt supportive speeches and actions like these?

They include MURIC dont ever condemn the atrocities of these blood sucking jihadists because they all share the same ideological inspirations & beliefs.Nigeria is on a long thing with these people.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by RevDesm0ndJuju: 9:29pm On Dec 27, 2020
Boko Haram is fighting to strengthen and expand the fulani caliphate.

Why should the Sultan oppose them when they are rxpanding his realm?

This sultan has voiced severally dialogue with BH and like some northern senators want BH to be given a semi autonomous Caliphate in El Kanemi kingdoms

Something that Uthman don Fodio couldn't achieve with his war with the El Kanemi empire

I want people here to understand that the Sokoto Sultanate and it's Emirates are a fundamental Islamic state institution under fulani control. The Sultan isn't a traditional ruler but a religious leader drawn exclusively from the fulani Invaders.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Elvictor: 9:31pm On Dec 27, 2020
illicit:
shocked

It doesn't seem like recent news tho....

isn't, just reminding the gullible Northerners pokenosing and losing sleeps just because of Northern problems.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Drsnives(m): 9:45pm On Dec 27, 2020
A fight against Boko Haram is a fight against the north says their Messiah bullhari

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by clockwisereport: 9:51pm On Dec 27, 2020
Hmmmmm

Speechless

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 27, 2020
ValCon888:
I'm not even angry that Nigeria was colonized. I'm upset the northern and southern halves were almagamated. If not this would have been a problem for a foreign country and the south would have been watching like spectators.
It would have been better for Southern Nigeria to be merge with Togo and Benin Republic,while the north is merge with Niger Republic

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by KoleDgreat2020(m): 11:10pm On Dec 27, 2020
I doubt this news
Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by owobokiri(m): 11:18pm On Dec 27, 2020
These guys will overdress like masquerades and all of you will be paying obeisance to them.. Very inconsequential buffoons that want to be seen as some sort of desert blue bloods..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Orjioorji(f): 11:36pm On Dec 27, 2020
A well known terrorist organization is been defended by there kinsmen. But our own kinsmen rejected IPOB that has never thrown a knockout.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by shiki(m): 12:50am On Dec 28, 2020
The way this man is talking these days, I believe he knew that, the REAL Buhari is no more

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by ChoCho54(f): 2:13am On Dec 28, 2020
Fahdiga:
Let the pretence continue. like I always says, Boko Haram is a problem of the north, by the north and for the north. my only anger is that they are looting Niger delta oil money all in the name of fighting terrorism
This news was in 2011, the sultan has since eaten the humble pie.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by ChoCho54(f): 2:21am On Dec 28, 2020
shiki:
The way this man is talking these days, I believe he knew that, the REAL Buhari is no more
This news was in 2011

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by naijaking1: 2:40am On Dec 28, 2020
Now, I got it.
Don't fight violence with violence, but fight peaceful protests like #Endsars, IPOB, Shiites with brutal violence, and then 'pardon' and forgive the criminals who kill helpless farmers, kidnap school boys, and burn down churches.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by CodeTemplar: 5:40am On Dec 28, 2020
. . .
Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by jlinkd78(m): 6:39am On Dec 28, 2020
2011 news when they thought GEJ was targeting to depopulate d North by fighting terrorism

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Nobody: 7:09am On Dec 28, 2020
Lol.
Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by Nobody: 7:19am On Dec 28, 2020
lol all these emirs and their heavy gele are all terrorist

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by shiki(m): 7:48am On Dec 28, 2020
ChoCho54:
This news was in 2011

Yea I know, but the way the man is talking these days ...
Madam your profile pic no be here o
Re: Nigeria: Sultan Of Sokoto Condemns Boko Haram Crackdown by ChoCho54(f): 11:17am On Dec 28, 2020
shiki:

Yea I know, but the way the man is talking these days ...
Madam your profile pic no be here o
My profile pic?

Call Hisbah nau grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: Governor Wike In Fresh Trouble / Wike Lands At Anambra Int'l Airport, Pays Homage To Obi Of Onitsha: Pictures / BREAKING: Buhari Is Preparing Nigeria For A Military Coup D’état – Sowore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.