Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,814 members, 7,806,286 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? (43135 Views)

Complete My House Or Travel Abroad? / Buying A House Or Building From Scratch, Which Is Better? / FOR Your Professional Building From Foundation/renovation Works (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by oluwaseyi0: 2:27pm On Dec 28, 2020
YorubaKinging:
The end is near

The wrath of Satan is about to be unleashed on the world

Especially on the remnants of Israel

That day you'll know who the real isrealites are

The black that have been enslaved from the beginning up till today

Or the Europeans calling themselves Jews enjoying the full benefits of the world

Decide

It's no longer the wrath of God that will be unleash it's now the wrath of Satan ...angry bird Satan .... but why will Satan be angry he got far more followers on Earth than God can ever dream of in all planet

Satan should be happy and jubilating not full of unjustifiable wrath
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by onoms4luv(m): 2:28pm On Dec 28, 2020
Oga if you get the money, buy the house, to save you from contractors wahala.

Then amend am to your taste.

1 Like

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by MMJ(m): 2:28pm On Dec 28, 2020
You better buy and move on.
Building is more expensive if your work does not permit you to supervise closely.
Workers will cheat you, they will use inferior materials for building.
You can take this advice to the bank, its from my personal experience

JayDaily:
Hi guys,

With the little money I have made, I have opted investing in properties full time.

now like the topic implies,

which is cheaper?

Building a home from Scratch or Buying already built that matches your taste?

what are the pros and cons?

5 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Jerkules: 2:28pm On Dec 28, 2020
Claiming house is the sweetest and cheapest,with the right connection u dnt need more than 2million to acquire 1 grin

2 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Dec 28, 2020
building from the scratch is not easy
buying house is better but who knows what is in that house that made the person to sell it..

1 Like

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by InvertedHammer: 2:29pm On Dec 28, 2020
/
When you buy, you are paying the cost to build + profit (for the seller). The finishing may be superb but you don't know the quality of materials used in the invisible aspect of the build...not until after 2 years of the purchase. Think of refurbished salvaged cars repainted and put up for sale.

\

2 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Dec 28, 2020
JayDaily:
Hi guys,

With the little money I have made, I have opted investing in properties full time.

which is cheaper?

I've done both so I can speak from experience.

Building a house may be cheaper in general, but not always. Sometimes, you get a house which the owner wants to sell (maybe an inheritance or forced sale), and depending on your negotiation skills and the location, it could turn out cheaper than it would if you built the same type of house in the same location. The only problem in buying is that most houses built long ago have decaying or old style fixtures, some even poor structure. You'll most certainly have to renovate, and sometimes the cost of renovation could get astronomical. But there are opportunities, where the overall cost is still cheaper than building at the end of the day. Another good thing about buying is that you get the house precisely where you want it, and can assess the kind of neighbourhood you are buying into. Whether you want to use it as a rental or for resale at a future date, neighbourhood is important.

By the way, if you want to build, watch your project like a hawk. If you don't have the time for that, buy.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by chatinent: 2:31pm On Dec 28, 2020
henry4991:
To Steal House is Much Better

Lol. Your type dey kill elder brother.

1 Like

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Kingluqman(m): 2:31pm On Dec 28, 2020
Let’s start from the cost of a bag of Cement right now. If you see a cheaper house of your taste in a good environment that you like, just buy and save yourself from the stress

1 Like

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by MexManuel(m): 2:32pm On Dec 28, 2020
[quote author=JayDaily post=97490343

[/quote]
Building a house is cheaper. You get to build what you desire and following up the building team in delivery to your taste.

Buying a house is more convenient
Wahala no dey too dey involved.
It save time.

But if you choose to building, I am able and willing to give you profitable advice. I design and develop buildings too.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by JoeEeL(m): 2:32pm On Dec 28, 2020
YorubaKinging:
The end is near

Or the Europeans calling themselves Jews enjoying the full benefits of the world

Decide

Baba kilonshele?
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Ennybouy(m): 2:32pm On Dec 28, 2020
Ordinarily the fact that you can polish to your taste makes building from scratch a better idea.Even thought buying a house is not a bad idea too.
Some external circumstances might also determine what to go for at very moments.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by yusufu16: 2:33pm On Dec 28, 2020
Anytime you buy a house, know that the seller has added enough profit if not x2 of the cost.
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Trustedpro: 2:36pm On Dec 28, 2020
It depend on location where you want your house!
If you are living in Abuja Lagos, PH it is better to buy.
If you don't have the time to monitor your project it is better to buy
If you are sceptical about land documents it is better to buy
If you have a unique design in mind, it is better you build.
If you don't like living in estate it is better you build
If you can't single handedly provide your security it is better you buy a building from estate

I hope it's not bet9ja ticket you dey expect make e enter? because Chelsea go cut am today. Lol
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Georgeisco2007: 2:37pm On Dec 28, 2020
Perfectsouth:
Building from scratch is better, you save money and you build to taste..

I am telling you. You take ur time to check the foundation too, unlike the one that thunderstorm will come u start running downstairs
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Dec 28, 2020
building your house is cheaper hence people building and reselling makes more profit
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by voltront: 2:38pm On Dec 28, 2020
There are pros and cons to both options.
Building:
Pros; you can build to your own specifications and taste.
You don't have bring all the money at once. In the long run it is cheaper.
Cons; you need to be on ground. It is time and energy consuming. Be ready to deal with different issues , workmen site engineers, govt wahala, omo onile wahala.

Buying:
Pros; If you can afford it, you get top of the range finishing you probably wouldn't get if you build yourself. No hassles at all just pay. Govt issues will be dealt with by the builders ,just make sure that all documentation are ready b4 paying (higher price though).
Cons; You are most like to buy a sub standard structure, our builders are knowledgeable in cutting corners. You will not be able to identify these faults most likely until after payment and you have moved in. You require bulk money and even when you pay with mortgage you pay more in the long run

Note the list above is not exhaustive, this are some of the issue that comes to mind now.

4 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Immunity04: 2:38pm On Dec 28, 2020
Building from the scratch is better because you will save cost if you didn't fall into the hands of dubious Building Engineers and you will as well construct to your taste.

Buying a building can only be better if you're more interested in the location of the house. For instance there are some locations that you can't get an empty land, if you must have one, then you buy a building.

1 Like

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Erowonsele: 2:39pm On Dec 28, 2020
U av made a point nw abi
henry4991:
To Steal House is Much Better
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by King44(m): 2:40pm On Dec 28, 2020
JayDaily:
Hi guys,

which is cheaper?

I don't know much about housing properties but I think building from scratch would be less costly but building it to your taste may make a bit costly but it can't be that expensive as already built
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by addexx: 2:42pm On Dec 28, 2020
JayDaily:
Hi guys,

which is cheaper?

Buying is faster and safer. You are free from omonile wahala .
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Perfectsouth(m): 2:43pm On Dec 28, 2020
Georgeisco2007:

I am telling you. You take ur time to check the foundation too, unlike the one that thunderstorm will come u start running downstairs
lol at thunderstorm and running downstairs
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Trendy247: 2:43pm On Dec 28, 2020
Leezah:
Usually it is much more expensive, both financially and emotionally.
There are so many decisions to be made when building a house.

Contractors live in a different world and don’t speak the same language, even if their English is superb.
It’s the nature of construction that materials shrink and swell and new houses make noises, nothing quite fits right, and you will think your new house is possessed by demons.
Your expectations, on the other hand, are that it is like a new car, and everything will work perfectly.

The truth is that a new house is less like a new car and more like a colicky baby.

When I saw this your comment, I knew u copied it from quora undecided

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Prechgold1180(m): 2:49pm On Dec 28, 2020
YorubaKinging:
The end is near

Decide
not the best way to preach
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Adakintroy: 2:51pm On Dec 28, 2020
Buying is a lot more expensive. But a lot better and stress free.

building yourself has its own inherent risk. If you no know much about building and all contractors go take you shine.

Aside the headach of supervision and time he go take to complete am. If you no get anything else to do that is.

You go monitor site tire.

My advise just buy one. Forget the money no be everything person go know or do by himself.

2 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by bigpicture001: 2:54pm On Dec 28, 2020
@OP, y are Nigerians so desperate to build a house..? Are u a multimillionaire already...?

Go and do more business and more business until ur super rich...build only a house you want to live inside.

You guyz shld stop rushing to properties as forms of investment, it breeds unemployment. If you can't think of any good investment. Invest in a progressive venture by someone else

1 Like

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Sirmuel1(m): 2:55pm On Dec 28, 2020
YorubaKinging:
The end is near

Decide

Person wan build house, you dey talk this one
Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by kolaaderin: 2:55pm On Dec 28, 2020
JayDaily:
Hi guys,

which is cheaper?

It's in 3 stages, You are at lease a survival in life to start building a house of your own. Below are the stages you can choose according to your status.
Survival
When you are a struggling survival, you build from scratch because it's cheaper if well supervised and you are not cheated on materials. Most people at this level waits months to months for every stage level of the building.

Arrival
When you get to a status in life, you buy a completed house to avoid stress of building one and stress of supervising the workforces. At this status, you can save enough millions to pay and owned your own house in one bulk payment. You don't have to think and worry yourself of how much profit the builder has added to the cost. You just buy and move in no questions.

The final stage
La cream de La cream
At this class, No mass builder can build your taste of home, the class and options you want can only be built on demand. You are back to building your own taste the way you want it. This type of houses are called monument and could cost in billions. You engage a supervisor or builder of reputation to build you a monument and they are really going to make a fortune of you !!!! smiley smiley You know what, you are the bullion van yourself at this stage too much money.

So my brother, find your class.

3 Likes

Re: Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? by Legendaryd(m): 2:58pm On Dec 28, 2020
JayDaily:
Hi guys,

which is cheaper?

Buying a house is somehow cheaper, but the quality of the materials used can not be guarantee.. building a house is the consuming and stressful (sometimes)..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Doors, Cabinets, Wardrobe And Other Wood Works / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires / How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.