Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,484 members, 7,781,450 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:34 PM

My Experience After Working For About Five Years. - Career (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Experience After Working For About Five Years. (69985 Views)

A Company Director At 29, How Adetola Durojaiye Rose To The Top In Five Years / 15,049 Nigerian Nurses Move To UK In Five Years / Lady And Her Workers Made To Sleep Outside After Working For A Client. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Emotionss: 10:06pm On Dec 30, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
Haipre:

How about you show us where you learnt forex extensively as the required amount to learn is available.. also not rushing to start making money there since daily work is providing for my means

The guy that thought me Forex did so as a personal favor base on old family friend things.
But I will talk to him and know if he can teach someone else.
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by yazga: 10:06pm On Dec 30, 2020
Yungbliss:

I came in March
Serving in Yabo L.G.A.
I hustling with my onion farm
The street is rough

Why I made mention of rice is that,in Tambuwal L.GA.(close to Yabo),they deal in rice
It's a good business considering the price if onions in the market. We may do business soon.
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Airtimex(m): 10:07pm On Dec 30, 2020
ebullient19:
I followed through all the comments till page 9 and I must say that I have learnt a lot. I pray God help me to get a job and save at least some capital in order to start my side business

God will help you.

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by golamike: 10:09pm On Dec 30, 2020
cayorday89:
You are very much on point @OP, this coming year I have decided to go into business after losing my job and I currently have like #800k, I want to go into foodstuffs buying and selling from other places to Lagos.. But the only obstacle I have now is how to get those products from other states at good prices.. Still making my research though and asking people around but only few are cooperating, foodstuffs like yam, rice, beans, garri, plantain, onions, palm oil, groundnut oil etc..

If you need veggies, I'm available.
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Yungbliss(m): 10:10pm On Dec 30, 2020
yazga:
It's a good business considering the price if onions in the market. We may do business soon.

No qualms
My number is there
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Lush100(m): 10:12pm On Dec 30, 2020
Some biz/investment have limit else their risk will be high.
For peace of mind I can't do more than what I have sunk in it,
I wanted to increase this year but I had a rethink when the regularity of pay started reducing.

The other ones with no risk pays very low.

My salary is constant.

Hence I need to be on the lookout for something different.
No gain in resting on your oars coz the biz environment is ever changing.
What sells today may not sell so much tomorrow.
Comprehend?

yazga:
Then stick to the business you are currently doing and make it big.

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by 4lorunsho(m): 10:12pm On Dec 30, 2020
fid3fid:

Bro, this opportunity for foreign supermarket goods now dey wella for Ojo. Importers dey bring them from London.
Raisin
Sardine
Shortbread
Canned tomato
Tesco Bleach
Canola oil
Bar soap for sensitive skin
Tooth paste
Milo ( from Singapore)
Mouthwash
Spaghetti
Basmati rice

Those sellers at Trade fair dey come Ojo Alaba to pack them at low price.
There are importers at UPA, GBO and St. Peter.

Last time I bough Raisin cereal for 1250naira. Shoprite dey sell 2000+

USED CLOTHINGS
Warehouses dey for Ilufe at the back of St. Peter church were they sell London Okirika bail. Nice clothings. But them dey so am coded because custom dey raid that area to carry their Okirika bails

Opportunity plenty, but na if you bend down well you go see am.

Abeg trade fair for Ojo get Okirika clothing

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by EndSarss(f): 10:14pm On Dec 30, 2020
KingAlabi:
I will like to add something

Don't try to build a business but a system.

A business will need your input while a system will flourish even if you aren't available

I spent atleast 5mins trying to figure out what you mean by this your write-up, pls can you explain....

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by yazga: 10:15pm On Dec 30, 2020
golamike:

If you need veggies, I'm available.
Where us your location?

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by yazga: 10:16pm On Dec 30, 2020
Lush100:
Some biz/investment have limit else their risk will be high.
For peace of mind I can't do more than what I have sunk in it,
I wanted to increase this year but I had a rethink when the regularity of pay started reducing.

The other ones with no risk pays very low.

My salary is constant.

Hence I need to be on the lookout for something different.
No gain in resting on your oars coz the biz environment is ever changing.
What sells today may not sell so much tomorrow.
Comprehend?

Yes business is Dynamic not STATIC.

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Lush100(m): 10:17pm On Dec 30, 2020
MMXX:
Full Details of your laptop?

I'm looking to get one

https://www.nairaland.com/6331671/lenovo-laptop-sale#97432128.

Brand new from the "oven".
HDD. 1 terabyte.(TB)
4GB RAM.
Intel core i3.
Webcam
Bluetooth
DVD room.

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by MMXX: 10:23pm On Dec 30, 2020
psychologist:
the book "rich Dad, poor Dad" comes to mind..
What's the summary of this book please.

Never gotten around to reading it

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by yazga: 10:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
MMXX:
What's the summary of this book please.

Never gotten around to reading it
if you don't invest you die a poor man.

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by KingAlabi: 10:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
EndSarss:

I spent atleast 5mins trying to figure out what you mean by this your write-up, pls can you explain....

A business must have a system if not it is just a sole proprietorship where if the owner isn't around it can't operate, but if it has a system without the sole proprietor it will function effectively, and trust me this system is extremely difficult to develop successfully, why do you think some employing businesses fail??

2 Likes

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Franchise21(m): 10:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
AltarBoy1:

Well, I dont really know. I really want to have another source of income before leaping out. So far, the little investment that I have made didnt stand. And the capital burnt out. Hopefully this coming year if the country remain fairly stable, I will leap out cos there is another investment that am targeting. Just trying to raise the capital required.
Lovely writeup. I love the last piece. I just got an offer as a Retail Sales Mgr for an FMCG... Reason I intend joining is to develop my interest in business... But I'm way confused than I ought to be

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Sofistcatdmoron: 10:29pm On Dec 30, 2020
Mumu op, why didn't you got into business if business is always fruitful,
My brother business is risk, is either you gain or loose ,
Thank God for where you find yourself
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by MMXX: 10:32pm On Dec 30, 2020
yazga:
if you don't invest you die a poor man.
oh really wow

Doesn't seem to correlate with it's title though.will give it a read someday

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by MMXX: 10:37pm On Dec 30, 2020
A business idea just came to mind rn

I'll give it a try this coming year.Grace I pray for

Thanks Op

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by ABUPHARM(m): 10:39pm On Dec 30, 2020
BOOKWORMLUX:
I got to know of sm websites that help me earn $1 daily which is about 450naira. I thought it was too small, but right now i have $174 BTC(about #90k) btween october n december.
i am grateful that i did nt give up.
to you it is small, bt it means a lot to me. i only invest my time and data to do same thins i do here on nland, makin comments.
i am just a student and dont have much to carter for.
I believe that with God by my side, i will make it in this life.
My man, connect me with the website please, i think we are in same situation, same school, but different department. Thanks in antici.....
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by authority2006(m): 10:39pm On Dec 30, 2020
LikeAking:
Story,story.

U no go manage wetin u don see.

Keep dreaming.

Go into biz after retirement.

Best advice to any worker.

Wrong advice.
If your salary is low but find it difficult to quit because of the fear of unknown, start a business as a second stream of income. But if your salary is okay and you're saving a decent percentage of your salary monthly, best time to start a business is five to three years before your retirement date. Doing trial and error after retirement could be costly

2 Likes

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by 4lorunsho(m): 10:41pm On Dec 30, 2020
Nicklaus619:

I have established working business relationship with producers and companies in China, Taiwan, Italy and Japan, where I buy goods in bulk at a reduced price from them and waybilled to me, and I have established a network with konga, jiji and other e-commerce website where these goods will be advertised and sold,

It's a long process but we have gotten here so far, no be today we start the arrangee

But I go give you a break down later if you interested fo spread your tentacles, I want make money like it's blood money come 2021 grin

Any other legit business way they pay am so diving in cheesy

What goods do you bring in from outside, I want to dropship or become a distributor boss

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by 4lorunsho(m): 10:42pm On Dec 30, 2020
Juenwume:

Bros you made alot of sense. Society deceived us about school. I have started business at 35 with nothing but now i count in millions. My greatest regret is not to start earlier as school has taken all my time. By the grace of God, i hope to take my business to billions. It will be different for my kids.
What business do you do?

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by authority2006(m): 10:47pm On Dec 30, 2020
Sofistcatdmoron:
Mumu op, why didn't you got into business if business is always fruitful,
My brother business is risk, is either you gain or loose ,
Thank God for where you find yourself

You didn't understand his point. There are many salary jobs in Nigeria that can never make you grow unless you try to combine it with business.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by cayorday89(m): 10:54pm On Dec 30, 2020
assinozick042:
let her go and learn drug biz first ahbi she want to work under somebody, studying about it is quitly different frm you opening your own shop and succeed easily. drug biz dosnt work like that. Drug itself work with believe also. Hope i didnt offend you by my writting.
At all sir, can you please make bold explanations on what learning drug business entails, although she helps in drug procurement for her unit in the hospital pharmacy, but the suppliers one way or the other refused to grant her request on learning somethings in order to venture into it and most importantly the license which she does not have..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by LikeAking: 10:54pm On Dec 30, 2020
authority2006:

Wrong advice.
If your salary is low but find it difficult to quit because of the fear of unknown, start a business as a second stream of income. But if your salary is okay and you're saving a decent percentage of your salary monthly, best time to start a business is five to three years before your retirement date. Doing trial and error after retirement could be costly

Workers dont have time 4 biz.

Most of dem cant run a biz due to work engagements.

They should build only houses with dia money and enjoy d house rents as land lords.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by uthlaw: 11:04pm On Dec 30, 2020
cayorday89:

Boss, do you have a contact to help out with this palmoil business, I'm a Lagos resident..
07039397858!

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Johnwick64: 11:06pm On Dec 30, 2020
op for those with business ideas that requires huge capital, how do get investors and convince them to invest cos most nigerian wealthy ppl would just be looking at you like a scammer or begger

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Nobody: 11:17pm On Dec 30, 2020
AltarBoy1:
99% of wealthy people are business men, you wont get to a greater height in wealth if you dedicate your entire life on a paid job. The average worker who is upright and doesn't involve in shady dealings ends up not been too wealthy or achieving much in life. Aside from multinational company's, most firms in Nigeria pay belwo 100k and when you factor in cost of leaving and daily expenses, how much can one save out of the salary in a month. Thats why I noted in the beginning of this write up that except you are working in a firm where your salary is above 100k and promotion/upward review of salary is certain within 3 years, then you are just wasting your youthful age when you work in such a place for long. If at the end of a year, you cant be able to save up to 1M, just try as much as you can to quit the job. Though its not easy, but its better you bear the heat and get out when you are strong and agile than wait when you get old.

My advice is that as early as possible, one should start looking for a business to start, irrespective of the nature of the business, as long as its legal and pays your bill just dedicate yourself to it and nurture it to growth/maturity. Business is easier to manage and nurture when your personal expense and responsibility is still very low, thats why its good to start when you are still under your parent, as a student or during NYSC. That way, even when the business fail, you have your family to fall back on until you gather the necessary resource to start again.

On a last note, when you have a striving business, by the time your kids grow up, one or two of them can you in the business and probably be on their own by having an offshoot of your business. That way they wont have to be looking for a job after school especially in this period of unavailability of jobs. But if you retire as a worker, you have nothing to pass to your kids to help them kick start their life. They will have to search for job or establish their own business.

I will also advice that if you have the opportunity of picking up a job as a sales rep of a company, please do not hesitate to accept it as this type of job gives you first hand experience of how businesses of buying and selling works. You will get to know how the market moves, the season when some certain goods are in high demand and with this experience, starting your own business in same line wont be difficult for you as you can even get some capital and purchase goods in the name of your customer and if you have a good relationship with him or with those around, selling the goods wont be much difficult through their help pending when you get your own shop/warehouse.

MODIFIED...
My own rule of thumb is... IF YOUR JOB IS YOUR ONLY SOURCE OF INCOME, DONT QUIT YOUR JOB FOR A SIDE BIZ UNTIL THE BIZ IS A "GOING CONCERN" AND IS GIVING YOU MORE THAN HALF OF YOUR MONTHLY SALARY.

I spent my time to read all this. Thanks for the analysis. It's worth it. I know business will require your time and commitment especially at the early stage. At least you should be able to spend 3-4 months to watch the business grow (know the inflow and outflow). However, if you have capable hands to run it with a signed agreement, I don't think you will experience much challenge. You can simply go to your main work while another person manage your business. This requires trust. Some of your customers in the bank are not just your friends, they have become your connections. Build your connection to learn new things in their line of business. Possibly, partner with them .
All my life, I have been looking for partnership to run business but everyone wants to become CEO over night or pick up a job as fresh graduates. But by God's grace, I will still run it

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Samuelskido(m): 11:25pm On Dec 30, 2020
Nice write up... And very encouraging

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 11:31pm On Dec 30, 2020
ABUPHARM:

My man, connect me with the website please, i think we are in same situation, same school, but different department. Thanks in antici.....
Same school, how did u know?
Nevertheless, chek ma signature and chat me on whatsapp let me give u link

Cc: PitexyBaba GREATESTPIANIST
Do same

if u cant c ma signature, go to ur profile nd update ur signtre so u can see mine

u only have ur time nd data to offer

2 Likes

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by foreveryoung1515(f): 11:31pm On Dec 30, 2020
It is well, if I see where I'm being paid anything above 100k, i will cling to it.

I had to stop a job I started of recent two days ago. From 7AM to 7PM, just a day off in a week. Strangers were the ones looking after my kids. All for 30k. I had to stop. I've seen people making it big in this baking industry which is my line. I pray mine won't be different. God help us all

2 Likes

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Pasiuba: 11:39pm On Dec 30, 2020
You are too much.thank you.you just shared a wonderful insight! Infact you touched all the major areas needed to be addressed.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Police Women From Countries Worldwide (photos) / Need Your Assistant ! Motivation Letter For Admission Into Master’s Degree / Facebook: Nasarawa Civil-Service Sacks Ruquayyat-Usman (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.