Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,049 members, 7,799,551 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

My Experience After Working For About Five Years. - Career (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Experience After Working For About Five Years. (70147 Views)

A Company Director At 29, How Adetola Durojaiye Rose To The Top In Five Years / 15,049 Nigerian Nurses Move To UK In Five Years / Lady And Her Workers Made To Sleep Outside After Working For A Client. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by joshkke(m): 9:56am On Dec 31, 2020
Would you be interested in a teaching series on YouTube and other social media? I like how you demonstrate each point with real world experience. Such content could blow. Would be willing to do this as a technical partner as I do Films/TV and Audiovisual generally. Shoot me a PM if interested please.

quote author=AltarBoy1 post=97496773]

Yes of course, there are always two side to a business. But let me talk a bit about businesses that failed. Over the years, there is something I have get to understand. Business grow small small and bit by bit. In my little experience, some business fail as a result govt policies or external factors. If you look at my write up, my own business failed when the exchange rate became unfriendly to NGN. Then my mistake was that I based solely on a particular product that I perceived gave me higher rate of return. If I had invested part of my capital in locally made biscuit with little return, probably that would have kept me going.

Another reason why business fail is lack of patience. Some people start up business with a projection that in the next 6 month they will be making millions. Then after 6 months and their profit is low, they quit. Business needs patience, thats why I talked about business growing via goodwill and reputation which will translate into profit later on in the future. Thats why your start up business shldnt be your source of survival.

Also, some people think that starting a business is all about having huge capital. Thats not always the reality; its more of having information and allies than capital. . Lets take for example... Buying and selling. You will need to understand that goods and commodity have season. If you are dealing on babies accessories, you need to knw that baby pampers for instance have season where the sales is more and profit is high. Am talking about whole sale. During the hot season, some mothers dont like wearing pampers for their babies due to rashes, but during cold season, its not the case. A lot of examples abound. One need to fully understand the business he or she is going into in other to avoid unexpected failure and mostly importantly dont go into any business with greed. Chasing high profit is one of the major reason why some business fail.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by DukeJoe17: 10:04am On Dec 31, 2020
Kwara1stson:
we can go into partnership

I could have love it but kwara is far from uyo.
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by DukeJoe17: 10:06am On Dec 31, 2020
afroxyz:

Where poverty is rife betting flourishes just like ponzi because people want to get money very fast. Nigeria is very ripe for betting biz
Honestly, you are right.
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by ilemona4u: 10:21am On Dec 31, 2020
Emotionss:
[color=#006600][/color]

On the food stuff business I don't really know much since I an relatively new to the business so I am not the right person to give advice on that.

I am still in the process of building my suppliers from benue,jos,bauchi,sokoto,abakilike, Gombe, Cross River, Anambra, Akwa ibom and Nasarawa state respectively. While my operational base will be in Port Harcourt. (God Willing)
Good day boss, we are into rice production from kano. kano state is about the only state in the north which produce locally made rice in large quantities which are almost same quality with foreign rice. the local governments foremost and well known for rice production include kura, bebeji bompai alhamsad and at very cheap prices....25kg @11,200 .50kg @ 22,200 . contact me sir on WhatsApp thru 08148680882 for pictures of our warehouses and products.Tanks

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Emotionss: 10:38am On Dec 31, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
ilemona4u:

Good day boss, we are into rice production from kano. kano state is about the only state in the north which produce locally made rice in large quantities which are almost same quality with foreign rice. the local governments foremost and well known for rice production include kura, bebeji bompai alhamsad and at very cheap prices....25kg @11,200 .50kg @ 22,200 . contact me sir on WhatsApp thru 08148680882 for pictures of our warehouses and products.Tanks

God is faithful.
I will definitely contact you.
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by ilemona4u: 10:42am On Dec 31, 2020
cayorday89:
You are very much on point @OP, this coming year I have decided to go into business after losing my job and I currently have like #800k, I want to go into foodstuffs buying and selling from other places to Lagos.. But the only obstacle I have now is how to get those products from other states at good prices.. Still making my research though and asking people around but only few are cooperating, foodstuffs like yam, rice, beans, garri, plantain, onions, palm oil, groundnut oil etc..
As far as rice is concerned, kano state is the only state here in the north where u can purchase in large quantities and best quality at very affordable prices. This is because it is about the only state in the north that have the highest number of local governments farming and processing rice. contact me on WhatsApp 08148680882 for more information and pictures from our warehouse.

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by preyeamaorutobi(m): 11:06am On Dec 31, 2020
Thank you sir for this
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by jaybliss1410(m): 11:37am On Dec 31, 2020
Nicklaus619:

I have established working business relationship with producers and companies in China, Taiwan, Italy and Japan, where I buy goods in bulk at a reduced price from them and waybilled to me, and I have established a network with konga, jiji and other e-commerce website where these goods will be advertised and sold,

It's a long process but we have gotten here so far, no be today we start the arrangee

But I go give you a break down later if you interested fo spread your tentacles, I want make money like it's blood money come 2021 grin

Any other legit business way they pay am so diving in
No problem bro. We gather dey. Let's exchange contact so we can rub things together come 2021
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Nicklaus619(m): 11:41am On Dec 31, 2020
jaybliss1410:

No problem bro. We gather dey. Let's exchange contact so we can rub things together come 2021

Pm bro
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Gentlebuka(m): 11:54am On Dec 31, 2020
Vinesee:
Good write up. Anyway, I need advise from nairalanders who have been in business in Nigeria and know how business works. I live in America but frequent Nigeria very often. I have tried several business especially bringing used clothes to Nigeria, cosmetics like Irish spring soaps and others but the people I entrusted the business mismanaged it at onitsha but I have not giving up because I'm a strong believer that consistency to a purpose is the best match towards progress. Currently, I'm putting up a supermarket like shop, not big as supermarket but to at least start bringing in those American quality products, original products like Soaps, Doves, play soaps, Irish spring soaps etc. I have got a reliable person to be my assistant and I'm seriously committed now than before. Prices are a little high because of it's quality and originality but I hope that with time, we shall excel because there're people out there looking for where to purchase original products. Our focus is only American products for now. So please I need advise or suggestions on this. We will utilize social media platforms as marketing strategy to be able to reach wide range of customers. You can reach me privately via my email. Vinesee@Yahoo.com. Thanks guys

I don't know if am the right person to advice you but I think you'd be better off setting up the shop in a place like Port-Harcourt or Abuja where rich people stay. Here in Onitsha,cheap things sell more

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by jaybliss1410(m): 11:56am On Dec 31, 2020
Nicklaus619:

Pm bro
I just did

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by AprokoGirl: 12:23pm On Dec 31, 2020
AltarBoy1:
What am about to explain is based on my own personal experience and that of those around me. What worked or didn't work for me doesn't mean its applicable to others. You might try and succeed. But am only here to give my own experience. Sorry, this post is gonna be long.

The lesson I want us to learn here is for us to know that working in a firm (esp banks or offices where you stay indoor from 8am-5pm) that pays you less than #120k-#150k per month with little or no assurance that after 2-3 years, you will be Prayers promoted or salary increased is a waste of your youthful age, better you start nurturing any form of legal business that you can start and manage. In view of this, I will be making some detailed Analysis and CALCULATION as I put down my experience. The analysis and calculation is to show you how "small small" business that we neglect and take not to be profitable is actually better than having a monthly paid job.
I started working in the bank around first quarter of 2016. I was excited that I got a job, hoping to start contributing financially to my family. But before I proceed, let me take us back a little for a better understanding.
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by DigitB: 12:24pm On Dec 31, 2020
AltarBoy1:

YOur own personal opinion.

Don't mind the fool please.

Thanks for sharing.

Not many people will have the time to share this detailed information with us.

I wish you success in all your future undertakings.

Compliments of the season.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by picklighthouse: 1:44pm On Dec 31, 2020
AltarBoy1:
Greetings to you all. I don't know if the subject of this post suits its body content, but all the same I hope that the message am about to pass meets you well.

Pardon my typos.... Typing long post isn't my thing.

One of the most inspiring posts I've seen on Nairaland. Thumbs up bro.

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Ajineita: 2:06pm On Dec 31, 2020
Karleb:
I guess this is what they call the rat race.

OP, so why are you not taking the leap of faith of quitting your job?
It seems you have watch James Jani alot. shocked
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by OgThanos: 5:32pm On Dec 31, 2020
Wow.wow.wow.wow
this info is just priceless.
like the old saying that says " experience is the best teacher" .
I'm an undergraduate and it happens that this lovely piece has reached me at a favourable time.
tho, I have a few business idea but what I don't have is capital.
CAPITAL ..
what advice do you have for folks like me with business ideas and plan but gat no capital .

2 Likes

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by LikeAking: 5:33pm On Dec 31, 2020
zedman1:
I wanted to read and pass, then say in my mind that this is your opinion, that it worked or will work for you in the future but then I realised it's an advice you're giving not just me but the numerous people on this platform. To be candid bro, this is the worst advice I've read since the whole of this year.

Lol.

Business is not easy for workers.

Am talking about the safest route for a worker.
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by zedman1(m): 5:54pm On Dec 31, 2020
LikeAking:

Lol.

Business is not easy for workers.

Am talking about the safest route for a worker.
Guy, when I was keeping broilers as side hustle combined with my salary, things were far better. Somehow a customer ran me down....long story. But I'm struggling to raise capital to start up my poultry again- this time layers. I wish I had this sense 8 years ago since I started working, but I was comfortable with my small salary and spending on one yeye ex back then. Nothing easy, I know but unless your salary fat, I no fit advice anyone to 'manage' their salaries. You no go grow that way bro.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by kizwid(m): 5:59pm On Dec 31, 2020
AltarBoy1:
Same thing with me. Aside from the shop I bought in an outskirt city in FCT, I cant really say I have made progress over the past 5 years. But one will keep pushing ahead. As long as you are doing it now that you are yound and probably with a young family, you will make it.
well done brother... please kindly check your mail, I want to have a word with you
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Nobody: 6:37pm On Dec 31, 2020
Nicklaus619:
Thanks op, I have written and printed, my business plan, next is to register my company and kick off, I have worked for close to 8 years now after graduation, nothing very serious to show for it, I need to start my own business and nurture it to grow cool
Procrastination is what i have been entangled with over the years, but come 2021. I ain't doing that sh!t no more, I am taking a leap of faith come January, 2021 and hoping and praying things fall in place smiley

Pls give me ur contact, mail address or phone.. I want to ask you something..

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Nobody: 6:38pm On Dec 31, 2020
CapodeCapouti:
Nice write-up, we need more of this on Nairaland. In life, always remember that they're two sides to a coin.

You keep talking about those who started business and are doing well now.

You should also know that there are thousands out there who towed that line and got their fingers burnt.

If you were married, and you started a business, someone like your wife could be the person on ground while you keep your job.

Exactly

2 Likes

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Nicklaus619(m): 6:41pm On Dec 31, 2020
emmachukwu99:

Pls give me ur contact, mail address or phone.. I want to ask you something..

Pm bro

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Kwara1stson: 6:48pm On Dec 31, 2020
ilemona4u:

As far as rice is concerned, kano state is the only state here in the north where u can purchase in large quantities and best quality at very affordable prices. This is because it is about the only state in the north that have the highest number of local governments farming and processing rice. contact me on WhatsApp 08148680882 for more information and pictures from our warehouse.
are you from kwara

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by authority2006(m): 6:57pm On Dec 31, 2020
LikeAking:

Workers dont have time 4 biz.

Most of dem cant run a biz due to work engagements.

Not in most cases, many government workers have more than enough free time. They could also bring in their wife and children to help in the morning period.

They should build only houses with dia money and enjoy d house rents as land lords.

House rents? From how many houses? Many government workers even struggle to build one house for their family not to talk of additional ones for lease.

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by AltarBoy1: 9:21pm On Dec 31, 2020
Rickbronz:
Op must have read the 20 laws of money, cos only a handful of people can think the way the op does. If you wish to become wealthy and still on a salary job, then Oyo is your second name.
If you are ready to start up a business that requires hard work and low capital but with a potential to change your life from where you are to where you want to be, feel free to contact me by sending a pm.
Alright... I will send a PM

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by AltarBoy1: 9:36pm On Dec 31, 2020
lekonso:
This is an inspiring write-up God bless you abundantly for this.
And bless you too my brother.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by AltarBoy1: 9:39pm On Dec 31, 2020
koolib:
The OP just gave a complete lecture on Financial Literacy. Good one and thumbs up

Thanks my guy

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Nobody: 10:47pm On Dec 31, 2020
cayorday89:

True talk boss, I can relate, but she really wants to and it will be a joint venture for she and I but since such opportunities is not forthcoming, she is still sticking with her job and saving massively for it, in fact na me dey in charge of her savings, I am currently 30 and I am jobless, I have my plans with its own difficulties but with quite a good saving and some Lil investments in farming... And she knows all that cos we discuss a lot, like the proper recording and the drug expiry as she brings some home from work if it is close to expiry and they been unable to sell it before its expiry period, to market it to chemist in our area or for use at home before its expiry..
if i can ask, were your location

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by cayorday89(m): 10:56pm On Dec 31, 2020
assinozick042:
if i can ask, were your location
We are based in Lagos..
Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Nobody: 10:58pm On Dec 31, 2020
ilemona4u:

Why don't u consider kano bro.. thats the heart of business in the north. only second to saying in Nigeria. l live in kano city and I know what am saying
a bigginer hardly survive there(kano town) my boss once open a new shop there bt it didnt go ar we aspect (drug biz). Most of them are into production and importation not jst buying and selling locally

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by Nobody: 11:09pm On Dec 31, 2020
cayorday89:

We are based in Lagos..
waaw, far from my imagination man. Actually i dont know how lagos operate on drug biz, hope its your land .you will succeed as others have believe in yourself .drug biz has its own government(napmed) they are the one you meet before you setup a shop to sale drug (fee aply)

1 Like

Re: My Experience After Working For About Five Years. by publicworky: 8:26am On Jan 01, 2021
Nicklaus619:
Thanks op, I have written and printed, my business plan, next is to register my company and kick off, I have worked for close to 8 years now after graduation, nothing very serious to show for it, I need to start my own business and nurture it to grow cool
Procrastination is what i have been entangled with over the years, but come 2021. I ain't doing that sh!t no more, I am taking a leap of faith come January, 2021 and hoping and praying things fall in place smiley

Let me be your partime accountant, I have about 7 years experience and the first month will be free.
I just sent you a DM, so I can forward my profile.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Police Women From Countries Worldwide (photos) / Need Your Assistant ! Motivation Letter For Admission Into Master’s Degree / Facebook: Nasarawa Civil-Service Sacks Ruquayyat-Usman (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.