Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:05 AM

The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan (39811 Views)

4 Staff Of Akwa Ibom Newspaper Die In Accident While Returning From Wedding / My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) / My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by BafanaBafana: 4:31pm On Dec 28, 2020
AfonjaConehead:

Lols..
There's the story of another one that fell from the sky and landed on his hmmm ok...grin

Another story tells of a great paper warrior who usainBolted away from Ilorin cos of small small Fulani boys...i hear his name is aphonja or so...
At least they have a story. Do you have any?

3 Likes

Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by Lionofdjungle: 4:32pm On Dec 28, 2020
This is just a prototype of the staff, it isn't the original Oranmiyan staff.

1 Like

Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by travelwaka: 4:32pm On Dec 28, 2020
Thank you and God bless

ElValiente:

I'm on the road but consider this done sir. You never fail or disappoint. You're the man. Keep it up sir

1 Like

Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by JoeEeL(m): 4:34pm On Dec 28, 2020
Please start teaching the Yorubas our history.

Many of us fail to understand how great we are as a people.

Common Fulani, na him con dey give us headache. Fulani weyrey wo?

Pls can you talk about the history of Oderinlo Balogun? We need to know our roots real badly.

3 Likes

Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by JoeEeL(m): 4:34pm On Dec 28, 2020
AfonjaConehead:

Lols..
There's the story of another one that fell from the sky and landed on his hmmm ok...grin

Another story tells of a great paper warrior who usainBolted away from Ilorin cos of small small Fulani boys...i hear his name is aphonja or so...

Ur papa. We no need u here. Muntula.
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by ejimatic: 4:35pm On Dec 28, 2020
travelwaka:
Compliments of the Season.
Oranmiyan is the son of Oduduwa (the progenitor of the Yoruba race). Oranmiyan was a warrior, a King, an Adventurer and a traveller. This is why he was one of the most travelled Kings in Yoruba history. I guess He just wanted to see the world. He travelled from Ile Ife to Benin, from Benin he founded the Oyo Empire. He even went as far as Dahomey (now Benin Republic). This is one of the reasons why I took special interest in him. He is one of my favourite characters in the Yoruba History. He must have lived a fulfilled life.

I have heard a lot about the Oranmiyan Staff, They claimed it is over a thousand years, Some even said there is radiocarbon evidence to prove that.
According to the priest at the shrine, he said after he left Benin city, he founded Oyo Empire, he decided to come back home to Ile Ife. To regain his father's throne.

He became the King of Ile Ife. But as an adventurer, he decided to go on another adventure but this time, he wanted to go alone. His people were worried that he may not come back or something bad might happen to him. Or worse case another city may invade them. So he told them should there ever be a time where they get invaded, they should make some incantations, he will be right there.

Not too long after he went on exile, a neighbouring city decided to invade them. So his wife quickly made those incantations. Legend has it that he appeared from the sky with his horse like a burning chariot, devouring everything on its way. Not knowing that he was also killing his people including his best friend. ON realizing his wrongs, he came he struck the ground with his staff and ever since, it has become a rock-like object.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfFM3vEaA7g&feature=emb_title

https://www.travelwaka.com/opa-oranmiyan-the-history-of-the-staff-of-oranmiyan/#google_vignette
. Oranmiyan Staff which is at Ile-Ife is a representation of the staff he was using when he was on earth.Inside the fenced land where it is located at Ife is the shrine of the warrior where he is atoned with sacrifices till today.Nobody dare to enter the place unattorized .Such an intruder will be stung with bees.It is said that when Oranmiyan disappeared from the surface of the earth he told Ife people to call him when there was a war.Ife people once created a false alarm making Oranmiyan to appear again and be killing people anyhow until he stopped at Iremo when he knew he had been killing his people. Iremo means "where the killing with sword stopped" Since then he said nobody would see him again .So it has been Before the staff was fully fenced young ones usually came to staff and looked at it ignorantly.

3 Likes

Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by Mraphel: 4:36pm On Dec 28, 2020
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
I perused through the article while blazing my weed as I put on my intellectual cap

I must say the article is trying to validate the fact that Binis are the fathers of yorubas especially the people of ile ife
Oranmiyan was the one that coined the Benin word and Ile Ife has bn in existence then

2 Likes

Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by Nobody: 4:37pm On Dec 28, 2020
farem:

How better to spot a strayed destiny!
Frustration will kill you eventually.
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by Crispels(m): 4:38pm On Dec 28, 2020
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
I perused through the article while blazing my weed as I put on my intellectual cap

I must say the article is trying to validate the fact that Binis are the fathers of yorubas especially the people of ile ife

Baba. Read it again. He was originally from Ile Ife. He migrated to Benin and then came back to Ife.

1 Like

Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by rovher: 4:39pm On Dec 28, 2020
Have the govt fixed that road yet ....
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by Mraphel: 4:40pm On Dec 28, 2020
chrisxxx:
I have no intention to set here on fire.
Did he move from Ile Ife to Benin or Originally from Benin to establish Ile Ife?
Benin and Ile Ife which came first?
The op made mistakes. He used his Yoruba tongue.
Oranmiyan is the great grandson of Oduduwa. Oduduwa only have one son and his name is Okanbi.
Ile Ife has been in existence long before Oduduwa. Obatala was the last king of his lineage before Oduduwa defeated him.

1 Like

Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by lagonovo: 4:42pm On Dec 28, 2020
Let's be serious here.
We are already way behind most of the developed world, every minute counts and impacts our future generations. Ordinary agriculture, some of our people still depend on ancient technology. We talk too much with little to show as a people, let's develop our societies by encouraging innovation not this fruitless focus on some tales by moonlight typically met with threats of some supernatural repercussion when questioned as expected in a productive society.
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by Aksnoopy: 4:43pm On Dec 28, 2020
Incognito403:
Idolatry people.

Why didn't they do their incantations when that small Modakeke town was hitting them hot-hot.

Elebo no fit get sense. That's how one werey dey disguise as bird for Anambra yesterday.

Abeg I can't laff jare. Awon hoeponu ayirada.
Lol! I swear, all their dead god's couldn't save them. Even Ooni Sijuade had to run away to London. If not for marceneries from Ekiti, Oyo and Modakeke warriors would have overun Ile-Ife and burn down the palace. grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by Alphafeezay(m): 4:43pm On Dec 28, 2020
travelwaka:
Guys please I need a huge favour from you guys. The only New Year gift you can give me is helping me achieve 1,000 followers on all my pages. Please show me some love its the season of love grin grin grin grin

Please Kindly follow me on social media, This is the only way I can keep doing this . It wont take more than a minute, Thanks, you God bless.

Please subscribe on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/Travelwaka/

Follow me on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/travelwaka_tours/

Like on facebook - https://web.facebook.com/travelwakatours/

Kindly follow on twitter - https://twitter.com/travelwakatours

Done @alphacustoms
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by bishopspeaks(m): 4:45pm On Dec 28, 2020
Good story, but more research work is needed to confirm the appearance on the sky.
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by thundafire: 4:48pm On Dec 28, 2020
But come to think of it,how can a man hold dis big staff and walk comfortably
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by MoneyTrees(m): 4:51pm On Dec 28, 2020
No don't say that lipsrsealed embarassed
You're not a real niggar shocked
From the article; the real niggar in the story travelled from Benin to form the Oyo Empire
Which is part of the Yoruba race, it's evident that he went from ile Ife to Benin for fortifications which without it he'd never have accomplished later exploits. grin grin grin
Sometimes what real NIGGARS understand after smoking a jumbo sized Mali kush, people like youight never got the picture that's why I say smoke a full jumbo sized Mali kush for full unlocking of your logical capabilities
Do you even know what is involved when a real niggar puts on his intellectual cap

Daniella2252:

You are truly mad I swear....

2 Likes

Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by chrisxxx(m): 4:52pm On Dec 28, 2020
Mraphel:

The op made mistakes. He used his Yoruba tongue.
Oranmiyan is the great grandson of Oduduwa. Oduduwa only have one son and his name is Okanbi.
Ile Ife has been in existence long before Oduduwa. Obatala was the last king of his lineage before Oduduwa defeated him.
That is Obatala was a king in Ile Ife before Oduduwa came?
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by Easyincome24: 4:54pm On Dec 28, 2020
travelwaka:
Guys please I need a huge favour from you guys. The only New Year gift you can give me is helping me achieve 1,000 followers on all my pages. Please show me some love its the season of love grin grin grin grin

Please Kindly follow me on social media, This is the only way I can keep doing this . It wont take more than a minute, Thanks, you God bless.

Please subscribe on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/Travelwaka/

Follow me on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/travelwaka_tours/

Like on facebook - https://web.facebook.com/travelwakatours/

Kindly follow on twitter - https://twitter.com/travelwakatours

You are doing a nice job. I'm very sure you will surpass your milestone of 1000 followers as you requested.

As a fellow in content publishing, I will advice you come up with beautiful contents like this and get them on Quora.com. check for space or you can create one dedicated for naija or African contents. A lot of those whitty wants to know more about Africa especially Nigeria and her rich culture.

I have few guys who enrich us with topics like this on quora doing over 250k views and still counting. Now imagine yours with this detail you provided here.

I think you can also do more on PIntertest but you have to be more crafty as that has more to do with visualization and few words driven. But you can hit high if you can strategically work out something along my guide here.

Hope to see you over there soon!
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by bottlewater1(m): 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2020
cyberaddict:
Opa Oranmiyan close to Arubidi. I really miss Ile-Ife.

I do see it almost every day
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by illicit(m): 4:57pm On Dec 28, 2020
BafanaBafana:

What about the story of Moses parting the Red sea with his rod, and the story of mana falling from heaven?

I am not religious....
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by illicit(m): 4:58pm On Dec 28, 2020
ElValiente:

Why? Because it's not from Jerusalem grin

I am not religious....
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by illicit(m): 4:58pm On Dec 28, 2020
Thoyesh:
same thing with what is in the Bible and quran right?

I am not religious....
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by cyberaddict: 5:05pm On Dec 28, 2020
bottlewater1:

I do see it almost every day

That's cool. I used to see it everyday too on my way to Primary school.
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by Jakumo(m): 5:07pm On Dec 28, 2020
Legend has it that any man who touches that staff SEVEN TIMES with his erect member, will become totally irresistible to beautiful young busty women, and will also be empowered to service those women non-stop for 7 hours in a stretch, during the course of which the man's staff of office will enlarge by half-an inch per hour.

You heard it here in Nairaland, first.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by ElValiente(m): 5:11pm On Dec 28, 2020
illicit:

I am not religious....

Oscar Yankee Oscar grin
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by Coinbased: 5:27pm On Dec 28, 2020
really
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by Sleekfingers: 5:36pm On Dec 28, 2020
HerMajestyCares:
SINCE A SHRINE IS INVOLVE IT MEANS THERE MUST BE AN IDOL IN THAT SHRINE,

WHICH ALSO MEANS THAT THEY WORSHIP THE DEVIL,

I ONLY BELIEVE AND SERVE THE TRUE LIVING GOD ALMIGHTY,
AND NOT ON SOME WOOD gods.

I THANK JESUS FOR WEALTH AND LIFE cheesy cheesy

but u are quick to believe the story of your useless jesus abi?

The easiest way to render a race useless is to take away their religions and language...... And thats what the white did......yeye dey smell

2 Likes

Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by jneutron4000: 5:44pm On Dec 28, 2020
oloriooko:
this story be like 'tales by moonlight'
how do human being came into existence?
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by hstar: 5:48pm On Dec 28, 2020
Ok
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by Crimsoneagle: 6:06pm On Dec 28, 2020
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr

I sent you PM.. pls reply. .thanks
Re: The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan by DonCandido(f): 6:15pm On Dec 28, 2020
travelwaka:
Compliments of the Season.
Oranmiyan is the son of Oduduwa (the progenitor of the Yoruba race). Oranmiyan was a warrior, a King, an Adventurer and a traveller. This is why he was one of the most travelled Kings in Yoruba history. I guess He just wanted to see the world. He travelled from Ile Ife to Benin, from Benin he founded the Oyo Empire. He even went as far as Dahomey (now Benin Republic). This is one of the reasons why I took special interest in him. He is one of my favourite characters in the Yoruba History. He must have lived a fulfilled life.

I have heard a lot about the Oranmiyan Staff, They claimed it is over a thousand years, Some even said there is radiocarbon evidence to prove that.
According to the priest at the shrine, he said after he left Benin city, he founded Oyo Empire, he decided to come back home to Ile Ife. To regain his father's throne.

He became the King of Ile Ife. But as an adventurer, he decided to go on another adventure but this time, he wanted to go alone. His people were worried that he may not come back or something bad might happen to him. Or worse case another city may invade them. So he told them should there ever be a time where they get invaded, they should make some incantations, he will be right there.

Not too long after he went on exile, a neighbouring city decided to invade them. So his wife quickly made those incantations. Legend has it that he appeared from the sky with his horse like a burning chariot, devouring everything on its way. Not knowing that he was also killing his people including his best friend. ON realizing his wrongs, he came he struck the ground with his staff and ever since, it has become a rock-like object.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfFM3vEaA7g&feature=emb_title

https://www.travelwaka.com/opa-oranmiyan-the-history-of-the-staff-of-oranmiyan/#google_vignette

Months ago, I wrote the view below in response to a topic being discussed with a highly respected and cerebral Nairalander, I think the aspect of that opinion reproduced is apposite to this discussion.

"I would like us to look at another related issue to the one being discussed here ... namely; the legend of Kisra and the truth about the stele at ife called "Opa oranmiyan".

I have read about Kisra but the materials I read were all about the myth. It appears nobody has anything factual or concrete about him.

I have developed this "crazy" theory that the man Kisra actually existed; that the stele at ife was a marker for his grave made by his followers who thereafter ended their plan to return to their homeland through the sea; that the knowledge about carving of style was foreign to ife and that the stele at ife predated both Oduduwa and oranmiyan.

I reached the above conclusions after tracing the history and existence of steles in West Africa and Nigeria in particular. I discovered that apart from the ife stele, none existed anywhere else in Nigeria.

In West Africa, researchers found an Islamic era steles in Mali -hope I am right-said to have been imported from Almeria, Spain. It is believed that successive muslim rulers in the area commissioned it from Spain to commemorate their rules.

The only place where stone monolith were used extensively as grave markers or to commemorate great events (obelisks) is Ethiopia. I believe practice spread to lower Nile areas ie Sudan and with the conquest of Egypt and establishment of black dynastic rule in that country, the practice spread there.

I agree with the opinions of some of the writers that around or about the beginning of the Islamic era, either a prince, an army commander, a king or a royal party sought a redoubt in Africa after losing a war at home. I will not speculate about where this "home " is.

I also believe that they wandered through the Savannah and later the Sahel looking for access to the sea. They followed the course of the Niger river initially but the difficulty of provisioning for their large entourage made them to move instead from one large town to another which they either pillaged or were welcomed. Some of them remained behind.

The Borgu oral history reference the presence of an entourage amongst them at point in their history and as a matter of fact, the ruling cast of Borgu are believed to have descended from a man called Kisra.

Similarly, the popular Hausa myth about a certain Bayajida who was a son of king of Baghdad and became a saviour resonates with the Borgu story.

Here is the high point of this speculation, I do not think black Africa below the Sahel developed the monarchical system independently. I believe a better organized conquerors brought the system and imposed it on them. They in turn became acultured to the host community.

The technical knowhow on how to carve a stele is absent at ife to date; the knowledge about how to write or make the inscription on the stele or what it means is lost to the Ifes; there is no similar stele anywhere in ife or West Africa generally that is either still standing or fallen.

Is it possible that there was another equally important leader at ife before the advent of Oduduwa and oranmiyan who history has forgotten?"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sunday Esan, Dangote's Manager Had An Accident (Photos) / Wike Tours Abuja Metroline, Says Project Will Be Ready For Use In May (PHOTOS) / Nigerian Man Dies In Plane While Travelling Back To Malaysia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.