Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:17 PM

How Did You Buy Your First Car - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / How Did You Buy Your First Car (7831 Views)

I Am Planning To Acquire My First Car With A Budget Of 500K / Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows / Saudi Arabia's First Car Showroom For Women Only Opens In Jeddah(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Carmal90(m): 9:34pm On Dec 30, 2020
adetunjioludami:

I'm buying a Civic 07 tomorrow in Ibadan for 800k wish me luck lolzzz.

Best of luck..

Pls update this thread after buying....

Many people are suggesting this civic for me....
But personally, I like DC

1 Like

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Ofemmanu1: 9:40pm On Dec 30, 2020
adetunjioludami:
I'm buying a Civic 07 tomorrow in Ibadan for 800k wish me luck lolzzz.
Godspeed!
Check the battery, tires, shock absorbers, rusts, interior and transmission. If all those are okay, you're good to go.
Honda have solid engines.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Ofemmanu1: 9:44pm On Dec 30, 2020
Carmal90:

Best of luck..

Pls update this thread after buying....

Many people are suggesting this civic for me....
But personally, I like DC

DC is cool, better, more room, classic and sweeter than that Civic.
My boss drives a Civic 2007 too, he dey always envy my DC.

But Civic is good in it's own ways too.
Im just saying Accord is a bigger brand than Civic as is Camry to Corolla buh all are good cars.

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by samuel19222(m): 9:51pm On Dec 30, 2020
good
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by adetunjioludami(m): 9:52pm On Dec 30, 2020
Ofemmanu1:

Godspeed!

Check the battery, tires, shock absorbers, rusts, interior and transmission.
If all those are okay, you're good to go.

Honda have solid engines.

Thanks Baba!!!!!
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by ericoleon(m): 10:40pm On Dec 30, 2020
BoboKush:
Well my story is not a sweet one

Its a story full of regrets and everything

I hope you learn one or two

So I decided to buy a car after nysc while job haunting

I can do uber along

My mistake I order the car from America via agent

From July that we haunt/bid n won.. I paid july

So many excuses.... Aw car spoil... This n that

Na Dec.... Yesterday car touch my hand with different

Part removed already

Never will I buy car from abroad again so many lost

I really learn the hard way
thanks for sharing. Youve saved someone out there nightmares. Lesson learnt avoid buying auction cars from abroad

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by ericoleon(m): 10:45pm On Dec 30, 2020
FreshConcept575:
Still hoping to get my first car I know I will by next year

But then car owners how can I know about cars and things to look out for and how to maintain a car

Have never own one or live closely with someone who has

All is well sha
it is well. D car will come
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by semanose: 11:17pm On Dec 30, 2020
Ofemmanu1:

Nah..
I will sell as soon as I get an upgrade.
perhaps next January.

Let me know please
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by ericoleon(m): 11:38pm On Dec 30, 2020
dawnomike:
It depends... Most times you find importers that want to sell of a cleared car at a cheaper rate to raise cash to clear their other consignments or risk incurring more demorage. Clearing agents can help you in meeting such people in urgent need of the cash
Thanks boss
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Burchester: 11:41pm On Dec 30, 2020
Ofemmanu1:
After many years of suffering, rejection, pain and shame my turn finally came.

I got a six figures job late 2017, by late 2019, I made my first million, level changed, I went back home for Christmas and it was hard moving from Shoprite Ikeja to Eleko beach and night clubs, on Dec, 29, 2019 I bought a Honda Accord 2007 from jiji to ease movements.

I bought it Used from a Meds @ 700k, fixed interior, exterior, AC and some minor things, since then it's been nothing but JOY..

I'm still driving it till today.

In 2021, i hope to upgrade to Honda Accord 2010/Honda Crosstour 2011 or the greatest Accord 2020.

So you recommend buying over Jiji ??
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by ericoleon(m): 11:42pm On Dec 30, 2020
EmmanuelBanks:
chai how I wish me sef fit join put mouth talk how I buy my first car

mehn this life .sha...

lost my parents since I was 5yrs...live with my uncle, his wife showed my shege. treated me worse than a slave..I said that because atleast a slave or prisoner knows when to eat, and my uncle works at abuja, so not always ard..

funny things is I kept everything to myself, though my so called uncle knew what was goin too

omo to cut long story short, these ppl are rich, have about fours cars in the compound, even up till I was 18, 19 yrs old the wife never allow me to enter any of the car, not to talk of learning how to drive them...I only washed them, which after sometimes because of guilt, she told me not to even wash the cars anymore...

chai omo I don really suffer, that's y i envy those kids that live with and still have their parents intact...suffering as a kid is not something I will ever wished for my enemies, though am 26 now, still managing..

done with UNIVERSITY but still hoping my uncle could help with something...pls for those that still have any of their parents, cherish them, hug them more often, play with them...these are something I dream of all my life.

I never enjoyed any fatherly or motherly love...chai with what I have gone through, I will make sure I do anything for my kids if I eventually have, cause they must not suffer ooo..

I rather not have kids, than to have but no money to cater for them

Very touching story. People way get parents and taken them for granted make una come hear o.
Bro God that saw you through school will never leave you nor slumber. Keep focusing one day you will buy plane for your family haters

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Lawnray: 11:47pm On Dec 30, 2020
I will update this when i get my first ride, It sure won't be ' a car to manage'

1 Like

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Ofemmanu1: 8:17am On Dec 31, 2020
Burchester:

So you recommend buying over Jiji ??

Yes, Jiji is cool..
Search for your choice then follow up; Go for inspection, negotiate and all that- It's free.
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by ericoleon(m): 3:07pm On Dec 31, 2020
Lawnray:
I will update this when i get my first ride, It sure won't be ' a car to manage'
Yes o
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by honda001: 3:25pm On Dec 31, 2020
During inspection was d owner sincere as per avert? Did u go with a mechanic
Ofemmanu1:
After many years of suffering, rejection, pain and shame my turn finally came.

I got a six figures job late 2017, by late 2019, I made my first million, level changed, I went back home for Christmas and it was hard moving from Shoprite Ikeja to Eleko beach and night clubs, on Dec, 29, 2019 I bought a Honda Accord 2007 from jiji to ease movements.

I bought it Used from a Meds @ 700k, fixed interior, exterior, AC and some minor things, since then it's been nothing but JOY..

I'm still driving it till today.

In 2021, i hope to upgrade to Honda Accord 2010/Honda Crosstour 2011 or the greatest Accord 2020.
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Ofemmanu1: 4:34pm On Dec 31, 2020
honda001:
During inspection was d owner sincere as per avert? Did u go with a mechanic
No, he wasn't so sincere as per advert.
In the ads, he said AC is good, nothing to fix etc.
On getting there with a mech, things weren't what it seems- the car was in a bad shape (it had a minor bashing with Danfo) but I decided to buy cos we've checked over 5 different Honda Accord DC and none was as good as this; (It's was still in factory settings) with good engine, rims, tires, transmission, body and all that.
However the young Doctor, redeemed himself by fixing somethings e. g New headlights, battery and 5k cash for AC.

It was a buy and drive truly, but i like my car clean so I did body work, fix some bushings, spent 10k to fix AC, got some sweet interior things e.g seat cover, footmats, car scent and rugs, since then it has been a GOAL.

N:B Now that I know better, I will never buy a car in that shape again, no matter how cheap it is.
Its better you buy a car that is expensive with perfect everything than buying cheap one with problems to fix.
Fixing a car takes more than you can imagine cos you'd meet alot of people and most of em are out to rip you off, stress you and batter you emotionally.

For me, it's not worth it.

P:s see the pics, all five rims are factory fitted.

6 Likes

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Carmal90(m): 5:18pm On Dec 31, 2020
Ofemmanu1:

No, he wasn't so sincere as per advert.
In the ads, he said AC is good, nothing to fix etc.
On getting there with a mech, things weren't what it seems- the car was in a bad shape (it had a minor bashing with Danfo) but I decided to buy cos we've checked over 5 different Honda Accord DC and none was as good as this; (It's was still in factory settings) with good engine, rims, tires, transmission, body and all that.
However the young Doctor, redeemed himself by fixing somethings e. g New headlights, battery and 5k cash for AC.

It was a buy and drive truly, but i like my car clean so I did body work, fix some bushings, spent 10k to fix AC, got some sweet interior things e.g seat cover, footmats, car scent and rugs, since then it has been a GOAL.

N:B Now that I know better, I will never buy a car in that shape again, no matter how cheap it is.
Its better you buy a car that is expensive with perfect everything than buying cheap one with problems to fix.
Fixing a car takes more than you can imagine cos you'd meet alot of people and most of em are out to rip you off, stress you and batter you emotionally.

For me, it's not worth it.

P:s see the pics, all five rims are factory fitted.

Like what amount do you spend aside the purchase price??
And what is the average price for DC in market now.
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Ofemmanu1: 5:32pm On Dec 31, 2020
Carmal90:

Like what amount do you spend aside the purchase price??
And what is the average price for DC in market now.
After purchase, I spent about N50k to bring it to my taste.
Now, you'd see lots of adverts for Naija used @ N1m/less, a guy posted same for an outrageous N1.1m last week! while a toks can go as high as N1.8m.

If I have to cash in on mine, it will be a very reasonable price, it will never be for profit.
I will give it to someone that really needs it and will maintain it.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by ericoleon(m): 7:42pm On Dec 31, 2020
keep the stories coming
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Lordxeer(m): 10:28pm On Dec 31, 2020
BoboKush:
Well my story is not a sweet one

Its a story full of regrets and everything

I hope you learn one or two

So I decided to buy a car after nysc while job haunting

I can do uber along

My mistake I order the car from America via agent

From July that we haunt/bid n won.. I paid july

So many excuses.... Aw car spoil... This n that

Na Dec.... Yesterday car touch my hand with different

Part removed already

Never will I buy car from abroad again so many lost

I really learn the hard way

Sad to hear that.. I just ordered a 2007 Toyota corolla from the US too. Still waiting for delivery then clearing. I'm to wait for about six weeks. What really delayed yours? What was his excuse?
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Kiddyong123ayo(m): 11:21pm On Dec 31, 2020
joa2013:
Bought my first car 400k in 2009. A naija used Nissan Almera. It was one used car dealer near my office who linked me with the seller and ended up collecting 50k from me for papers which costs only 7k at that time. He duped me because he knew I didn't know anything about vehicles. I made sure he never sell any car to any of my office colleagues for years after that until he begged me seriously in 2013 and even tried to refund my 50k which I turned down. Each time I see any of my colleagues inspecting any car in his stand, I'll go to the person's office to tell him or her to beware of the car dealer because he's dubious. He lost more than 30 sales because of me. It was because of him that I learnt how to buy cars from Tincan, seme, Idiroko, other parts of Lagos and Nigeria and even cotonou. I will spare my time to follow my colleagues from Akure to Lagos to buy Naija used cars or tokunbo so as to make sure they don't patronise him. He got to know this through our gateman and started looking for me, he sent one of my ogas who's from his hometown to beg me. That's when I allowed him to start making money from my office. Besides, I no longer have the time to go round helping people to buy cars anymore.
OP, get your money first and make sure you go for your dream car, Toyota Corolla.

This sarcasm is out the Roof... Dream Car = Toyota Corolla
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Aaaaarghmed(m): 11:55pm On Dec 31, 2020
I bought my first car in 2018 and I still have it till date.A very clean gold coloured accord baby boy with black rims.before I bought the car anytime it passes by I admired it,I dey even see am for dream sef..lol.i bin don save 200k from my salary and was thinking of where to add more to buy the car when a connect came to do a revenue govt ticket work per day from 6am till 6am the next day.1 made like 40k personally from 6am till 6am the next day.i did it for a month and I get money well.i go my access bank go dump like 900k.after I stopped the work 2months later my dad meet one politician to put me in that same revenue work again.i still work for a month and get money again.i search jiji see the clean accord for Abuja.. I travel and pay 600k..spray it and fix ac.it was the cleanest accord in my area.boys think say I dey do yahoo that time.i never regretted buying it.sweet ride for a young guy

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by BoboKush(m): 5:14am On Jan 01, 2021
Lordxeer:

Sad to hear that.. I just ordered a 2007 Toyota corolla from the US too. Still waiting for delivery then clearing. I'm to wait for about six weeks. What really delayed yours? What was his excuse?

I have actually seen some get here within 6 weeks so don't let my own experience discourage you since you are in already but I then advice it better one choose to buy here.... There are good deals here too

Back to your question.. The car is running (working) after paying n all he said sallum want to ship as non running that the legs hook.... That he will instead fix it.... To cut long story short I end up paying for fixing n non running

One major hard lesson I learnt last year.... I don wise small now

1 Like

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Hollawayn05(m): 7:35am On Jan 01, 2021
joa2013:
Bought my first car 400k in 2009. A naija used Nissan Almera. It was one used car dealer near my office who linked me with the seller and ended up collecting 50k from me for papers which costs only 7k at that time. He duped me because he knew I didn't know anything about vehicles. I made sure he never sell any car to any of my office colleagues for years after that until he begged me seriously in 2013 and even tried to refund my 50k which I turned down. Each time I see any of my colleagues inspecting any car in his stand, I'll go to the person's office to tell him or her to beware of the car dealer because he's dubious. He lost more than 30 sales because of me. It was because of him that I learnt how to buy cars from Tincan, seme, Idiroko, other parts of Lagos and Nigeria and even cotonou. I will spare my time to follow my colleagues from Akure to Lagos to buy Naija used cars or tokunbo so as to make sure they don't patronise him. He got to know this through our gateman and started looking for me, he sent one of my ogas who's from his hometown to beg me. That's when I allowed him to start making money from my office. Besides, I no longer have the time to go round helping people to buy cars anymore.
OP, get your money first and make sure you go for your dream car, Toyota Corolla.

Is the Nissan almera he sold to you faulty? Or u pained cos of the exess money he collected for paper work
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by ericoleon(m): 12:39pm On Jan 01, 2021
Kiddyong123ayo:

This sarcasm is out the Roof... Dream Car = Toyota Corolla
i havent bought an okada before so a clean toyota corolla is a big deal its my dream car

8 Likes

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by MedicH: 1:22pm On Jan 01, 2021
I searched on jiji, saw the guy from Benin selling the Lexus es 300. I went to Benin from owerri with my colleague that lived in Benin and knows the area around August.

We sat at that big eatery mall in Benin city and the car came in looking very sweet. I did my inspection bearing in mind all I've learnt from gazzuzz and nairaland auto section. I checked the fans, they dont turn on when u start engine, I smiled. I checked engine bay, no funny wires.

I already bought my car scanner before then so I plugged it in scanned for errors and saw knock sensor and oxygen sensor errors only. I browsed these errors and saw they're cheap to fix and nothing very serious.

I inspected the papers, car was just imported in February, the guy has a printed copy of the vin report, I glanced through it saw the frontal damage and everything else was cool.

We drove to the guy house, with ac om. Everything was smooth, RPM was steady in hold-up, no jerking or funny noise. We completed the transaction and payment and everything. I got a driver to take me home and I was wowed in the journey. That car was the most powerful car I've been into.

The driver said we should off the AC so we can save fuel consumption I told him never to worry. Everything from steering, brakes, AC, legs, engine, gear was, 100% and I was as happy as I ever been my whole life. Car was speeding on Benin asaba express like a demon and sometimes it will bounce on the highway like a leather ball I was so wowed.

We got to owerri I called my friends to come and drive it they were wowed.

I took it home and started to learn how to drive. Car is as powerful and as excellent today as at then and I have only changed the oil and plugs.
because I used it to learn driving, it's due for shock absorber repairs. Everything is as intact and excellent as ever.

I love that car and my seller was as truthful as anything. Even uptil now I've never had reasons to change the tires I wonder if maybe they will never leak. Tires are yet to expire brand new. When we completed the deal, this good ma gave me 10k to use and buy spare tire on my way home because the car has no spare tire. Everything was blessed.

If u want to buy a car, stay away from dealers, normally na lie they will sell to u. Buy from end users, they have numerous accounts on jiji. How u know is end users always put up one car to sell in the entire account unlike a dealer that has dozens.

Also use the custom duty to check level of abuse. If possible, go for cars with less than 6 months use in Nigeria from date of importation.

Lastly, say a prayer for yourself.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by MedicH: 1:28pm On Jan 01, 2021
FreshConcept575:
Still hoping to get my first car I know I will by next year

But then car owners how can I know about cars and things to look out for and how to maintain a car

Have never own one or live closely with someone who has

All is well sha

Red your car manual. Everything u need for maintenance is there.

Before u do anything on that car via repairs, adding fluid or anything, read the manual.

If u see a light on dashboard, read the manual
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Carmal90(m): 1:50pm On Jan 01, 2021
MedicH:
I searched on jiji, saw the guy from Benin selling the Lexus es 300. I went to Benin from owerri with my colleague that lived in Benin and knows the area around August.

We sat at that big eatery mall in Benin city and the car came in looking very sweet. I did my inspection bearing in mind all I've learnt from gazzuzz and nairaland auto section. I checked the fans, they dont turn on when u start engine, I smiled. I checked engine bay, no funny wires.

I already bought my car scanner before then so I plugged it in scanned for errors and saw knock sensor and oxygen sensor errors only. I browsed these errors and saw they're cheap to fix and nothing very serious.

I inspected the papers, car was just imported in February, the guy has a printed copy of the vin report, I glanced through it saw the frontal damage and everything else was cool.

We drove to the guy house, with ac om. Everything was smooth, RPM was steady in hold-up, no jerking or funny noise. We completed the transaction and payment and everything. I got a driver to take me home and I was wowed in the journey. That car was the most powerful car I've been into.

The driver said we should off the AC so we can save fuel consumption I told him never to worry. Everything from steering, brakes, AC, legs, engine, gear was, 100% and I was as happy as I ever been my whole life. Car was speeding on Benin asaba express like a demon and sometimes it will bounce on the highway like a leather ball I was so wowed.

We got to owerri I called my friends to come and drive it they were wowed.

I took it home and started to learn how to drive. Car is as powerful and as excellent today as at then and I have only changed the oil and plugs.
because I used it to learn driving, it's due for shock absorber repairs. Everything is as intact and excellent as ever.

I love that car and my seller was as truthful as anything. Even uptil now I've never had reasons to change the tires I wonder if maybe they will never leak. Tires are yet to expire brand new. When we completed the deal, this good ma gave me 10k to use and buy spare tire on my way home because the car has no spare tire. Everything was blessed.

If u want to buy a car, stay away from dealers, normally na lie they will sell to u. Buy from end users, they have numerous accounts on jiji. How u know is end users always put up one car to sell in the entire account unlike a dealer that has dozens.

Also use the custom duty to check level of abuse. If possible, go for cars with less than 6 months use in Nigeria from date of importation.

Lastly, say a prayer for yourself.

You dey make car dey entice me.....

8 Likes

Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by DesignBetter90: 2:01pm On Jan 01, 2021
Seems it is jiji that is the way o

Been searching for 900k car for Uber on nairaland since last year I didn’t see

Time to hit jiji
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Aaaaarghmed(m): 4:23pm On Jan 01, 2021
Na jiji win am o...I have bought 3 cars on jiji and no issues.but apply due checks and diligence so u Wundt fall to scammers on jiji.some yahoo guys dey post cars there too
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Hollawayn05(m): 5:10pm On Jan 01, 2021
Aaaaarghmed:
Na jiji win am o...I have bought 3 cars on jiji and no issues.but apply due checks and diligence so u Wundt fall to scammers on jiji.some yahoo guys dey post cars there too

Naija used or tokunbo?
Re: How Did You Buy Your First Car by Aaaaarghmed(m): 10:03pm On Jan 01, 2021
Hollawayn05:

Naija used or tokunbo?
the three cars I bought on jiji were naija used.....baby boy....Honda crv 2006...Honda civic 2005.no issues whatsoever.no engine or gear wahala.just normal servicing.take note I bought from the direct owner and I got someone who inspected it for me

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2001 Audi Tt 225 Hp Coupe Quattro / 2005 Toyota Matrix Hatchback Buy Me 2.3 Million / Pimped Honda Halla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.