Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,922 members, 7,806,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? (1096 Views)

8 Repentant Militants & Kidnappers Become Pastors At OPM / Bishop Kukah: Nigeria not worth dying for / Bishop Oyedepo: 'Nigeria Not Fulani Republic' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Nazgul: 10:01am On Dec 29, 2020
Good morning everyone.... merry Christmas and a happy new year in advance.

As the topic implies, I've been so worried about this issue.

I once attended a church some years back when a young man, claiming to be a repentant armed robber was giving his testimony. He talked about how he killed several people, raped girls, maimed....the one that made me froze right where I was seated was when he said they robbed a couple, the wife had just given birth and according to his story, they've been expecting a child for over 8 years. He said he and his gang smashed the newly born child's head on the wall because the father refused to cooperate with them.

Last month I heard another give his own testimony, according to him, he was once a cultist, he killed, raped, robbed and committed all kinds of atrocities.

I read a story here on Nairaland early this year how an armed robber came to church with his gun to surrender to the pastor, and I was like so that's it. He's free, all atrocities he committed has been wiped off? The pastor even posted it on the internet as an achievement.

This kind of testimonies are so rampant in our churches these days, and this brings the question shouldn't they be tried? I mean we have a working consistution.

So I can just kill anyone and after a while give my life to Christ and I'm free...I can join a cult, terrorise my neighbourhood, rob and kill people, then surrender my life to Christ and I've escaped Justice?

We blame Buhari for granting repentant Boko Haram and bandits freedom without trial, but we're doing the same thing without even realising it.

I'm a Christian and I'm not against criminals surrendering to Christ. But if anyone should engage in activities contrary to the laws guiding the country, he or she should be prosecuted accordingly. If the court decides to find him not guilty or give a lienient punishment based on self confession, then it would be much better.

But walking freely after causing pain to so many homes is totally wrong.

What do you people think?

Lalasticlala mynd44 Dominique

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by asdfjklhaha(f): 10:13am On Dec 29, 2020
Tht is because Nigeria is a failed country
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by ServanTheG(m): 10:30am On Dec 29, 2020
I think this has to do with how our legal system is set up. In countries like the US or UK when a crime happens if the detectives can't solve the case it remains open for years while they search for clues or leads. So it doesn't matter if the criminal repents and becomes a archbishop once they know it's him he will get arrested and pay for his crimes. We need to reform our legal system. Even if you commit a crime in 1900 once it's confirmed you are the culprit you should pay for what you did.
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Nazgul: 11:35am On Dec 29, 2020
ServanTheG:
I think this has to do with how our legal system is set up. In countries like the US or UK when a crime happens if the detectives can't solve the case it remains open for years while they search for clues or leads. So it doesn't matter if the criminal repents and becomes a archbishop once they know it's him he will get arrested and pay for his crimes. We need to reform our legal system. Even if you commit a crime in 1900 once it's confirmed you are the culprit you should pay for what you did.
That's true. But sadly the case isn't so here in Nigeria.

In Nigeria even with evidence of public confessions nothing is being done.

So how do their victims get Justice?
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by kponkedenge(m): 5:14pm On Dec 29, 2020
Nigeria keeps getting messier by the day. Religion has blinded us from growth and development.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by felong(m): 5:18pm On Dec 29, 2020
Nazgul:
Good morning everyone.... merry Christmas and a happy new year in advance.

As the topic implies, I've been so worried about this issue.

I once attended a church some years back when a young man, claiming to be a repentant armed robber was giving his testimony. He talked about how he killed several people, raped girls, maimed....the one that made me froze right where I was seated was when he said they robbed a couple, the wife had just given birth and according to his story, they've been expecting a child for over 8 years. He said he and his gang smashed the newly born child's head on the wall because the father refused to cooperate with them.

Last month I heard another give his own testimony, according to him, he was once a cultist, he killed, raped, robbed and committed all kinds of atrocities.

I read a story here on Nairaland early this year how an armed robber came to church with his gun to surrender to the pastor, and I was like so that's it. He's free, all atrocities he committed has been wiped off? The pastor even posted it on the internet as an achievement.

This kind of testimonies are so rampant in our churches these days, and this brings the question shouldn't they be tried? I mean we have a working consistution.

So I can just kill anyone and after a while give my life to Christ and I'm free...I can join a cult, terrorise my neighbourhood, rob and kill people, then surrender my life to Christ and I've escaped Justice?

We blame Buhari for granting repentant Boko Haram and bandits freedom without trial, but we're doing the same thing without even realising it.

I'm a Christian and I'm not against criminals surrendering to Christ. But if anyone should engage in activities contrary to the laws guiding the country, he or she should be prosecuted accordingly. If the court decides to find him not guilty or give a lienient punishment based on self confession, then it would be much better.

But walking freely after causing pain to so many homes is totally wrong.

What do you people think?

Lalasticlala mynd44 Dominique
Nigeria doesn't have a consistution. The law in Nigeria is for the poor.

Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Kobojunkie: 5:25pm On Dec 29, 2020
ServanTheG:
It is most definitely not because of the way the legal system is set up.
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by ServanTheG(m): 5:37pm On Dec 29, 2020
Kobojunkie:
So what do you think is the problem?
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by crazyclown(m): 6:20pm On Dec 29, 2020
ServanTheG:
Religion is the problem for me I think we place it far above our consistution thereby making it impossible for us to make rational decisions.
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Nazgul: 6:26pm On Dec 29, 2020
felong:

Nigeria doesn't have a consistution. The law in Nigeria is for the poor.
Exactly...but even at that Justice should be give to victims.

We can't keep promoting religion at the expense of common Sense.
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Nazgul: 6:26pm On Dec 29, 2020
Kobojunkie:
How is it set up...please explain better
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by ServanTheG(m): 6:30pm On Dec 29, 2020
crazyclown:

Religion is the problem for me I think we place it far above our consistution thereby making it impossible for us to make rational decisions.
I like your point and I think when it comes to religion in this country we tend to look the other way. Sometimes our holy holy attitude is appalling whereas we have a lot of hypocrites hiding under the banner of religion and doing the exact same things they preach against
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Kobojunkie: 6:51pm On Dec 29, 2020
Nazgul:

How is it set up...please explain better
The legal system in Nigeria is set up just like those in the UK and USA are, only most Nigerians do not realise this.

According to the OP, he heard someone give a testimony in a church about having committed heinous crimes in his past. The legal system is not directly connected to your churches so it is up to those who heard the confession to let the proper authorities know of the man. But since many of those who sit and listen to these so-called testimonies, are themselves hypocrites, who only care when the crime was not committed against their person, they conclude that it is not their place to say anything, and so many of the true culprits get away with crimes committed, pretending they do so in the name of God.
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Kobojunkie: 6:58pm On Dec 29, 2020
ServanTheG:
Religion and Hypocrisy of the people
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Nazgul: 6:12am On Dec 30, 2020
Kobojunkie:
The legal system in Nigeria is set up just like those in the UK and USA are, only most Nigerians do not realise this.

According to the OP, he heard someone give a testimony in a church about having committed heinous crimes in his past. The legal system is not directly connected to your churches so it is up to those who heard the confession to let the proper authorities know of the man. But since many of those who sit and listen to these so-called testimonies, are themselves hypocrites, who only care when the crime was not committed against their person, they conclude that it is not their place to say anything, and so many of the true culprits get away with crimes committed, pretending they do so in the name of God.
True, but the thing here is many of them even give it even on live TV. The church's TV station during live programs.

Some claim to be witches even on TV, claim how they've killed people and drank so much blood and all that.

The state can pick up the case legally and follow it up based on the evidence from the TV broadcast. Ordinarily, it's not very easy to singlehandedly fight a religious body in Nigeria, so the only people that can successfully confront them is the government (state or federal).
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Kobojunkie: 6:41am On Dec 30, 2020
Nazgul:

True, but the thing here is many of them even give it even on live TV. The church's TV station during live programs.

Some claim to be witches even on TV, claim how they've killed people and drank so much blood and all that.

The state can pick up the case legally and follow it up based on the evidence from the TV broadcast. Ordinarily, it's not very easy to singlehandedly fight a religious body in Nigeria, so the only people that can successfully confront them is the government (state or federal).

By the state, you mean in Nigeria? I doubt they pay attention to such things so it is still up to the people who hear these things to report it.

A person watching can easily record and send it in a report for the authorities to investigate the claims and process a possible culprit for crimes committed. But most folks are drunk on their religion to care about justice for others and the part that is theirs to play in it.
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Nazgul: 6:48am On Dec 30, 2020
Kobojunkie:
By the state, you mean in Nigeria? I doubt they pay attention to such things so it is still up to the people who hear these things to report it.

A person watching can easily record and send it in a report for the authorities to investigate the claims and process a possible culprit for crimes committed. But most folks are drunk on their religion to care about justice for others and the part that is theirs to play in it.
You're right. Religion has blinded some many Nigerians from common sense.

You've just given me an idea... whenever I hear such testimonies, I'll record it and mail it to the NPF, and hope they'll pursue the case.
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Kobojunkie: 6:51am On Dec 30, 2020
Nazgul:

You're right. Religion has blinded some many Nigerians from common sense.

You've just given me an idea... whenever I hear such testimonies, I'll record it and mail it to the NPF, and hope they'll pursue the case.
excellent plan!

I do wonder how many of those so-called testimonies are truthful though.
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Nazgul: 6:56am On Dec 30, 2020
Kobojunkie:
excellent plan!

I do wonder how many of those so-called testimonies are truthful though.
The ones about being witches drinking blood and all that might not be true. The pastor might just want to put up a show for the congregation, by pretend to address the demon, then the demon will respond by confessing how it has killed so many people.

But you see those ones claiming to be ex cultist, ex armed robbers, ex fraudsters... etc, most of them have some atom of truth in their stories.
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Nazgul: 9:40am On Dec 30, 2020
crazyclown:

I agree with you...most Nigerians are hypocritically religious.
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On Dec 30, 2020
Nazgul:

The ones about being witches drinking blood and all that might not be true. The pastor might just want to put up a show for the congregation, by pretend to address the demon, then the demon will respond by confessing how it has killed so many people.

But you see those ones claiming to be ex cultist, ex armed robbers, ex fraudsters... etc, most of them have some atom of truth in their stories.
you may be right !

1 Like

Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:08pm On Dec 30, 2020
Won ò mòó mò!
It's just past mistakes! cheesy
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Nazgul: 9:19pm On Dec 30, 2020
MaxInDHouse:
Won ò mòó mò!
It's just past mistakes! cheesy
So we shouldn't frown at the government granting amensty to repentant Boko Haram and bandits right?
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:38pm On Dec 30, 2020
My guy there is nothing like justice now until God's kingdom come! smiley

Nazgul:

So we shouldn't frown at the government granting amensty to repentant Boko Haram and bandits right?
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Nazgul: 9:45pm On Dec 30, 2020
MaxInDHouse:
My guy there is nothing like justice now until God's kingdom come! smiley
But there are laws guiding every nation. Nigeria isn't an exception. When those laws get broken don't you think punishment should follow suit?
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:00am On Dec 31, 2020
The white are smarter than blacks in covering their tracks that's why you are thinking laws are not broken their. I'm telling you that gross injustice is happening in their midst much more than amongst the blacks but because they're good in covering their tracks you will think everything is OK.
The exceptional nations where laws could be maintained are Communists but amongst Capitalists forget my brother, money speaks! smiley

Nazgul:

But there are laws guiding every nation. Nigeria isn't an exception. When those laws get broken don't you think punishment should follow suit?
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Nazgul: 2:49pm On Dec 31, 2020
MaxInDHouse:
The white are smarter than blacks in covering their tracks that's why you are thinking laws are not broken their. I'm telling you that gross injustice is happening in their midst much more than amongst the blacks but because they're good in covering their tracks you will think everything is OK.
The exceptional nations where laws could be maintained are Communists but amongst Capitalists forget my brother, money speaks! smiley
Hmmm
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by dorox(m): 3:03pm On Dec 31, 2020
Nazgul:

No one can be tried for claiming to kill people through supernatural means like witchcraft, or drinking the blood of victims in a none physical space like a coven. Doing so in real life like the examples given by the op is a different matter from what you are saying.
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Nazgul: 3:10pm On Dec 31, 2020
dorox:

No one can be tried for claiming to kill people through supernatural means like witchcraft, or drinking the blood of victims in a none physical space like a coven. Doing so in real life like the examples given by the op is a different matter from what you are saying.
But I am the op na.

Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by dorox(m): 3:32pm On Dec 31, 2020
Nazgul:

But I am the op na.
I only realized that you are after my post. I am largely in agreement with your op.
Just out of curiosity, why choose the moniker Nazgul when there is no lack of beautiful names to select from Middle Earth?
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by Nazgul: 4:17pm On Dec 31, 2020
dorox:

I only realized that you are after my post. I am largely in agreement with your op.
Just out of curiosity, why choose the moniker Nazgul when there is no lack of beautiful names to select from Middle Earth?
Ok.

Lol...I just choosed it after watching that movie (the Lord of the rings) I guess you have too, very good movie cheesy
Re: Why Are Repentant Criminals in Nigeria not Prosecuted? by dorox(m): 4:31pm On Dec 31, 2020
Nazgul:

Ok.

Lol...I just choosed it after watching that movie (the Lord of the rings) I guess you have too, very good movie cheesy

Yes, I have watched all three movies. Arguably the best movie ever made in my opinion.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fate And Predestination / No Compulsion In Religion! / What Equals 100% In Life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.