Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,842 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:03 AM

National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words (7225 Views)

Why The Inordinate Fear And Resentment Towards The Igbo By Nigerians / There Is A Growing Resentment Of Fulani Herdsmen Within The Hausa Community. / Tinubu Begs Igbo In Lagos, Osinbajo Appeals To Hausa Community For Votes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by LukasPodolski: 1:15pm On Dec 31, 2020
Nigercity:

Chia our local Clifford University lolz
We are about to enter a new year, did you want to be unfortunate?

Is this mushroom University in Aba? Am I a joke to you...I said I want a university situated in Aba.

Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by jimyjames(m): 1:18pm On Dec 31, 2020
HolarQD:

Lol! So because Lagos was from the Portuguese, what does it change? Wasn’t Bini the first to have contact with the Portuguese, were they has developed as the Yorubas pre colonial ?

There’s difference between national civilisation and western exposure/education. Binis were civilised as much as the Yoruba pre colonial, the Bini and Oyo empires were the two most powerful, formidable and well organised structured group in the southern Nigeria pre colonial and this wasn’t achieved by any colonial help.

It was their well structured government and military base/leadership that made it imperative for the colonial masters to conquer them first before any other group in the south, and this is why the experienced western exposure and education first.

I am not here to do tribal bashing with you. I just want to disabuse your mind. Yorubas don’t and has never felt jealous nor hate igbos. You guys need to be objective to see things clearer. Thank you.

my friend do your research well Lagos was part of the bini empire

and if you really want to point out to me the pre colonial achievement of the Yorubas then it should be in oyo Ibadan and not Lagos cause even during the regional government Era Lagos was on its own as the capital of Nigeria under colonial rule they built it, Ibadan was the capital of the Yoruba, South West had nothing to do with Lagos.
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by LukasPodolski: 1:20pm On Dec 31, 2020
Nigercity:

Chia our local Clifford University lolz
Apparently, Rhema university which is not worthy to be called a university is the only University in Aba, a mushroom University that should be closed down by NUC...

You provided Aba mall, fine.

Now show me pictures of Rhema university, Abia airport, Clubs. Pubs.
E.t.c

I will not Entertain any comment from you henceforth...
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by Nigercity: 1:21pm On Dec 31, 2020
LukasPodolski:

We are about to enter a new year, did you want to be unfortunate?

Is this mushroom University in Aba? Am I a joke to you...I said I want a university situated in Aba.
Calm down nah
Haba
Am not the one that beat you laa
You sounds so pained

Meanwhile everyone here knows that Aba is not only limited to (Aba south and North)
Infact the are the smallest part of Aba
Aba is just a town in the City of Aba,
(Just like limiting only the ancient town of Lagos as the whole Lagos)
(osisioma alone in Aba is bigger than Aba town and check well the ABA mega mall is in osisioma not Aba ) even The University of Nigeria Aba campus is not even in the ancient town of Aba

Why did you think I never mentioned Absu and Michael okpara, cos they aren't in the suburbs of ABA
Next time get your facts right
Cos even a blind man knows that clliford University is in Aba haba
For now run along with your ignorance
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by HolarQD(m): 1:24pm On Dec 31, 2020
jimyjames:

and if you really want to point out to me the pre colonial achievement of the Yorubas then it should be in oyo Ibadan and not Lagos cause even during the regional government Era Lagos was on its own as the capital of Nigeria under colonial rule they built it, Ibadan was the capital of the Yoruba, South West had nothing to do with Lagos.

Was Ibadan not the capital of pre colonial Yoruba? And was Lagos not existing pre colonial? It’s a fact that the Yoruba nation was more developed and structured pre colonial than any other nation, the only nation thy came close was the binis
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by LukasPodolski: 1:29pm On Dec 31, 2020
jimyjames:

Under the colonial rule, Lagos colony includes all the SW states...

During the regional government, over 70% of what makes Lagos today were part of the Western region (I learnt that only 6 LGAs area of Lagos today were just the capital then)

Lagos colony = South West Nigeria (before amalgamation)

Does that really Change anything? With the exception of the third mainland bridge(which the government also built 2nd Niger bridge in the east) was there any special project the FG did in Lagos that wasn't replicated in other regions?
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by 7lives: 1:30pm On Dec 31, 2020
jimyjames:

grin grin grin grin Lagos is divided into two in those days, the island and mainland.
The mainland is part of SW, island is the sit of federal government.
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by Nigercity: 1:32pm On Dec 31, 2020
Nigercity:

Calm down nah
Haba
You sounds so pained

Meanwhile everyone here knows that Aba is not only limited to (Aba south and North)
(osisioma alone in Aba is bigger than Aba town and check well the ABA mega mall is in osisioma not Aba ) even The University of Nigeria Aba campus is not even in the ancient town of Aba

Why did you think I never mentioned Absu and Michael okpara, cos they aren't in the suburbs of ABA

You don't even know, that the Ariaria international market, you hear of is not even in Aba town
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by jimyjames(m): 1:32pm On Dec 31, 2020
marsman:

The Colonial masters were against the secession stuff even till now, they even prove it big time during the war, it is only natural for them to side with the Igbos, who.loved Nigeria as one so much, they didn't want to hear anything secession.
And may i remind you that what every the colonial masters said then was final.

my friend do your research well the igbos were never the favorites of the colonial masters amongst these 3 biggest ethnic groups because of how stubborn and arrogant we were naturally their Favorites were the northerners followed by the Yoruba because of how easy it was to colonials them , the wanted the northerners to be the ruler and it was for this very reason they merged the North and South as one country we the igbos were not even invited when the sighed to merge north and South together
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by Nigercity: 1:32pm On Dec 31, 2020
Nigercity:

Calm down nah
Haba
You sounds so pained

You don't even know, that the Ariaria international market, you hear of is not even in Aba town
Nigga next year
Try travel out
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by HolarQD(m): 1:42pm On Dec 31, 2020
jimyjames:

my friend do your research well the igbos were never the favorites of the colonial masters amongst these 3 biggest ethnic groups because of how stubborn and arrogant we were naturally their Favorites were the northerners followed by the Yoruba because of how easy it was to colonials them , the wanted the northerners to be the ruler and it was for this very reason they merged the North and South as one country we the igbos were not even invited when the sighed to merge north and South together

Stop spreading lies bro. The colonial masters didn’t invite any tribe before amalgamation. Pa Anthony Enahoro, once Secretary to Zik newspaper was the one that moved the motion for independence, he was a close ally of Zik and Zik fought for independence as much as every other actors. All the post colonial Nigerian leaders initially wanted and coveted an independent Nigeria with the wishful hope and thought that they would be able to manage the new country.

Their failure that has resorted to the rot in our system today is a collective failure that doesn’t leave anyone of them faultless.

The reason you see that Yoruba would always continue to sing awolowo praise is because of his free education policy, and this is something that gave Yorubas an early edge. There were so many Yoruba elites as of then that didn’t even support awolowo enthnoreligious stance, people like Obasanjo and Abiola but still they respected and adored him. I just wish you can be objective and you will se that Yorubas don’t hate, they only love and protect their own interests first!
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by jimyjames(m): 1:50pm On Dec 31, 2020
HolarQD:

They didn’t end with what Zik wanted oga, I thought you’re learned. After independence, the form of government we operated was still regional, each region is self governed and has its own constitution but there was no clear cut clause or policy on possible secession by any group. The coup then happened and brought in ironsi an Igbo man who also believed in Zik ideas, and he promulgated a decree that formed a unitary central government system. Ironsi also failed to sumarily execute those that planned and executed the coup (majorly officers of Igbo extraction).

If he had not form a unitary government and has dealt with the coup plotters, there won’t have been a need for northern retaliation
if you claim every region had it's own constitution then why didn't those region that wanted secession included secession in their own regional Constitution?
we the igbos were not even there during the amalgamation of northern and southern protectorate

and if ironsi who was just brief in office easily promulgated a degree for unitary government which the West and north never wanted, what stopped them north and west from removing it after they killed ironsi in a counter coup, it was something easy to do
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by jimyjames(m): 1:53pm On Dec 31, 2020
HolarQD:

Was Ibadan not the capital of pre colonial Yoruba? And was Lagos not existing pre colonial? It’s a fact that the Yoruba nation was more developed and structured pre colonial than any other nation, the only nation thy came close was the binis
the bini empire was the most powerful empire bigger than the oyo empire of the Yorubas and Lagos was part of the bini empire
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by jimyjames(m): 1:59pm On Dec 31, 2020
LukasPodolski:

Under the colonial rule, Lagos colony includes all the SW states...

During the regional government, over 70% of what makes Lagos today were part of the Western region (I learnt that only 6 LGAs area of Lagos today were just the capital then)

Lagos colony = South West Nigeria (before amalgamation)

Does that really Change anything? With the exception of the third mainland bridge(which the government also built 2nd Niger bridge in the east) was there any special project the FG did in Lagos that wasn't replicated in other regions?

my friend Lagos was not part of the South West regional government it was a colonial city then the capital of Nigeria watch videos of the 50s and 60s and see how developed Lagos the capital of Nigeria was, the South West regional government never developed Lagos, the southwestern government focused on its capital Ibadan
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by jimyjames(m): 2:02pm On Dec 31, 2020
7lives:

grin grin grin grin Lagos is divided into two in those days, the island and mainland.
The mainland is part of SW, island is the sit of federal government.

my friend Lagos was never part of the South West regional government it was a colonial city then become Nigerias capital watch old videos of the 50s and 60s and see how developed Lagos was then
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by marsman: 2:02pm On Dec 31, 2020
jimyjames:

Am.not talking about there favorite Mr man, Am talking about there Interests. Britain wanted Nigeria One, Igbos Supported the Agenda, even when other Regions disagreed. That is what I am talking about

1 Like

Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by HolarQD(m): 2:03pm On Dec 31, 2020
jimyjames:

if you claim every region had it's own constitution then why didn't those region that wanted secession included secession in their own regional Constitution?
we the igbos were not even there during the amalgamation of northern and southern protectorate

and if ironsi who was just brief in office easily promulgated a degree for unitary government which the West and north never wanted, what stopped them north and west from removing it after they killed ironsi in a counter coup, it was something easy to do

They didn’t remove it because they decided to pay the igbos back in their own coins. Since the reason for promulgating that decree was domination, the Hausa/Fulani decided to leave it that way so they can also dominate. The Igbo taught them.

1 Like

Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by HolarQD(m): 2:07pm On Dec 31, 2020
jimyjames:

the bini empire was the most powerful empire bigger than the oyo empire of the Yorubas and Lagos was part of the bini empire

How was the Bini empire bigger than the Oyo empire? Like do you even know what you’re saying? The only reason Bini was even closed to Oyo was because of their early contact/trade with the Europeans who sold them guns in exchange for their sculptures, this in turn gave them an edge militarily.

Please be objective, that’s only the way you can enjoy this discussion.

Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by marsman: 2:07pm On Dec 31, 2020
HolarQD:

Stop spreading lies bro. The colonial masters didn’t invite any tribe before amalgamation. Pa Anthony Enahoro, once Secretary to Zik newspaper was the one that moved the motion for independence, he was a close ally of Zik and Zik fought for independence as much as every other actors. All the post colonial Nigerian leaders initially wanted and coveted an independent Nigeria with the wishful hope and thought that they would be able to manage the new country.

Their failure that has resorted to the rot in our system today is a collective failure that doesn’t leave anyone of them faultless.

The reason you see that Yoruba would always continue to sing awolowo praise is because of his free education policy, and this is something that gave Yorubas an early edge. There were so many Yoruba elites as of then that didn’t even support awolowo enthnoreligious stance, people like Obasanjo and Abiola but still they respected and adored him. I just wish you can be objective and you will se that Yorubas don’t hate, they only love and protect their own interests first!
Actually Enahoro was the first to move the motion, but he was not the only one then.
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by HolarQD(m): 2:09pm On Dec 31, 2020
jimyjames:

my friend Lagos was never part of the South West regional government it was a colonial city then become Nigerias capital watch old videos of the 50s and 60s and see how developed Lagos was then

What’s the main language of south west? What’s the main language of the original inhabitants of Lagos? When you answer this, and decide to be objective, you will cleanse your heart thoroughly.
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by HolarQD(m): 2:11pm On Dec 31, 2020
marsman:

Actually Enahoro was the first to move the motion, but he was not the only one then.

That was what I said sir. Enahoro was a close ally of Zik and that’s why sometimes the igbos would want to take credit of that.
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by marsman: 2:17pm On Dec 31, 2020
HolarQD:

That was what I said sir. Enahoro was a close ally of Zik and that’s why sometimes the igbos would want to take credit of that.
Enahoro that later camped with AG after seeing how deceitful and selfish zik was.
I Understand you
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by HolarQD(m): 2:26pm On Dec 31, 2020
marsman:

Enahoro that later camped with AG after seeing how deceitful and selfish zik was.
I Understand you

There’s even a report of how he organised a conference for independence talks and invited Zik to come and speak but Zik refuse to show up for fear of been arrested by the colonial masters. That was one of the reasons he had to join Awo.

1 Like

Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by Gracchus: 3:37pm On Dec 31, 2020
LukasPodolski:

1, Lagos baby (the largest city in Nigeria)

2,Ibadan baby (the third largest city in Nigeria)

3,Ibadan baby

4 ,Abeokuta baby
Ibadan

1 Like

Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by LukasPodolski: 3:39pm On Dec 31, 2020
Gracchus:
Ibadan
thank you for this, do you have more?
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by marsman: 3:49pm On Dec 31, 2020
HolarQD:

There’s even a report of how he organised a conference for independence talks and invited Zik to come and speak but Zik refuse to show up for fear of been arrested by the colonial masters. That was one of the reasons he had to join Awo.
Already told the guy all this self, it obvious the dude jimyjames is not being true to himself, about the igbo stand in the early 50s and 60s.
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by HolarQD(m): 4:01pm On Dec 31, 2020
marsman:

Already told the guy all this self, it obvious the dude jimyjames is not being true to himself, about the igbo stand in the early 50s and 60s.

I actually thought the guy is rational and a bit objective that’s why I entered the discussion but it seems the guy’s as dogmatic as some of his fellow travelers. Even the book he quoted his opening lines for, gave much credits to some Yorubas like Wole Soyinka that did supported and was even imprison for his support of Biafra. Saying a whole tribe hates you because of the perceived role of a Yoruba man in the starvation that came with war isn’t rational nor commonsensical.

Ojukwu executed Victor Banjo, should we then agree that igbos hate Yoruba because of that?

There are so many cases of igbos being unjust to Yoruba and vice versa, at the end it’s just a case of man’s wickedness to another, it shouldn’t be amplified on a whole racial/national level.

Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by Fvckhypocrite(f): 4:12pm On Dec 31, 2020
HolarQD:

I actually thought the guy is rational and a bit objective that’s why I entered the discussion but it seems the guy’s as dogmatic as some of his fellow travelers. Even the book he quoted his opening lines for, gave much credits to some Yorubas like Wole Soyinka that did supported and was even imprison for his support of Biafra. Saying a whole tribe hates you because of the perceived role of a Yoruba man in the starvation that came with war isn’t rational nor commonsensical.

Ojukwu executed Victor Banjo, should we then agree that igbos hate Yoruba because of that?

There are so many cases of igbos being unjust to Yoruba and vice versa, at the end it’s just a case of man’s wickedness to another, it shouldn’t be amplified on a whole racial/national level.
God bless you sir
i'm happy to come across this thread this people alway's hate yoruba just bcoz of awo role during the biafra war.

Cc
Dpharisee
Igbowarlord
Asiwajundigbo
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 31, 2020
HolarQD:

Don't waste your own time in future. Most Igbos hate Yorubas with every Fibre of their being. A man should never apologize when he has done nothing wrong.

Most Igbos interpret your actions of trying to engage them cordially to mean you are apologizing. The more polite you are the more they act up brattishly because they think their deliberate act of guilt-tripping you is working.

Tell Igbos to do one, as I always do, and you can post enjoyably here. Otherwise you will get bogged down in their idiocy and remain in the gutter with them which suits them because it is the natural environment of most of them.

1 Like

Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by AsiwajuNdigbo: 4:43pm On Dec 31, 2020
Fvckhypocrite:
God bless you sir
i'm happy to come across this thread this people alway's hate yoruba just bcoz of awo role during the biafra war.

Cc
Dpharisee
Igbowarlord
Asiwajundigbo

Sweetie, When have you ever heard me condemn a yoruba leader, much more baba awo?

I am one of the few Ndigbos that actually want west and east to close gap. I have been advocating that.

We are not same people and will never be. However we can form a political alliance.

Consider that you have a neighbor who is at home in daytime. When you are out hustling this neighbor keeps an eye on your door and yard to ensure no one trespasses or breaks in. That is an alliance. It doesnt make them a member of your household or family.

This sort of arrangement is needed in south.

By the way, i like your signature. God will punish those kaffirs - yarimo, hellinues, simplyleo, ngpatriot, arrewa.
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by Fvckhypocrite(f): 4:53pm On Dec 31, 2020
AsiwajuNdigbo:

Sweetie, When have you ever heard me condemn a yoruba leader, much more baba awo?
I am one of the few Ndigbos that actually want west and east to close gap. I have been advocating that.
We are not same people and will never be. However we can form a political alliance.
Consider that you have a neighbor who is at home in daytime. When you are out hustling this neighbor keeps an eye on your door and yard to ensure no one trespasses or breaks in.That is an alliance. It doesnt make them a member of your household or family.
This sort of arrangement is needed in south.By the way, i like your signature. God will punish those kaffirs - yarimo, hellinues,simplyleo,officialapcng ngpatriot, arrewa.
thanks
but have never seen you creating a thread to advice your brodas
Yoruba re not perfect just like every human being buh the hate your broda have for us here is 3much
I know how many igbo have fought with today on nairaland jus becoz of the hatred.
Re: National Resentment Of The Igbo, In Achebe's Words by Nobody: 4:53pm On Dec 31, 2020
Fvckhypocrite:
God bless you sir

Cc
Dpharisee
Igbowarlord
Asiwajundigbo

Igbos are very easy to work out for those who see beyond the surface. They are a hateful people who only respond to harsh, unapologetic and uncompromising responses to their brattish behaviour.

Look at all those who deal with Igbos and show them open disrespect and disdain.

Wike, Fulanis and PDP for example. All Igbos know to do is cowardly hide their face from them.

Yet it is civil, apologetic and conscientious Yorubas that Igbos love blackmailing.

I have worked Igbos out and that is why I will never indulge or be polite to an Igbo here since I know that approach achieves nothing with them.

Igbos are the people who best validate the saying "treat em mean keep em keen".

Yorubas, stop indulging Igbos. They hate you
and will always take your kindness, politeness or cordial behaviour for weakness.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

ESN Camp In Rivers State Being Addresed By IPOB Leader (Video) / Ugwuanyi Calls For Designation Of Enugu As Oil-Bearing State / Wyclef Jean Shot In Hand In Haiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.