Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:39 AM

Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? (1460 Views)

Christian Ronaldo Become The Second Highest Goalscorer In The History Of Soccer / Breaking News: After So Many Years Of Soccer Betting, Man Finally Wins 5million / Solomon Dalung, Ned Nwoko Decorated As Patrons Of Soccer Stars Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tplayer: 9:59pm On Dec 30, 2020
I honestly believe the quality of football aka soccer has declined in the last 10 years or so, and with reasons:

1. Take a look at what we have as world-class strikers in the current era: Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Benzema, Lewandoski, Jamie Vardy, Luis Suarez, Bale, Higuain, Raul Jimenez, Firmino, Erling Haaland, Harry Kane, Mbappe, Jesus, Aubameyang, Cavani, Mohamed Salah, Antoine Griezmann, Aguero; you can add yours. Compare with the top strikers of the 2OOOs: Thierry Henry, Ruud van Nisterlooy, Ronaldo (Brazil), Michael Owen, Didier Drogba, Pippo Inzaghi, Andriy Shevchenko, Raul, David Villa, Adriano, Samuel Etoo, Wayne Rooney, Piero, Trezeguet, Forlan.
If you truly watched football in that period the current crop pales somewhat. Then, there were even better defenders self.

Now if you can't attack you are not considered a good defender, never mind if you are average at defending to start with (Alexander-Trent is a good example) The rules have been changed to allow for easy penalties, so we see more goals and more player protection. Just compare van Dijk, Pepe, Company, Ramos, Maguire, Walker, Godin, Chiellini, Varane, Hummels, Boateng, Marquinhos, Bonucci, Lahm to Maldini, Cafu, Carlos, Thuram, Campbell, Tony Adams, Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry, Taribo West, Puyol, Andrea Barzagli, Maicon, Marco Materazzi, Ivan Cordoba, Gianluca Zambrotta, Javier Zanetti, Ashley Cole, Ricardo Carvalho, Nesta, Jamie Carragher, Gary Neville, Fabio Cannavaro, Ivanovic, Ledley King. What do you see? A sharp decline for me.

How about midfielders: Zidane, Iniesta, Xabi Alonso, Francesco Totti, Kaka, Paul Scholes, Lampard, Gerard, Beckham, Giggs, Ballack, Deco, Cesc Wesley, Makalele, Gattuso, Sneijder, Carrick, Fabregas, Robert Pires, Nedved, Schweinsteiger, Pirlo, Viera, Roy Keane, Okocha, Figo, Francesco Totti, Gerrard, Beckham, Giggs. vs de Bruyne, Pogba, Ivan Rakitic, Kroos, Marchisio, David Silva, Casemiro, Kante, Modric, Busquet; add more o.

Imagine Rashford benching Nistelrooy, Maguire when Vidic dey. Casemiro when Figo/Deco dey.

Do the analysis for keepers and coaches yourself.

Please Ronaldo and Messi are generational talents, hence excluded.

Some players straddle 2 eras (e.g. Ibra) are not included

The list in each group is not exhaustive but representative enough
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by EliKen(m): 10:40pm On Dec 30, 2020
you're on point my dear.
those of us who saw the last generation of footballers are so unsatisfied with this current crop that we might as well give up. (so boring).
inconsistency, indiscipline, greed, etc are the bane of modern football.

2 Likes

Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by NewDelhi(m): 10:52pm On Dec 30, 2020
EliKen:
you're on point my dear.
those of us who saw the last generation of footballers are so unsatisfied with this current crop that we might as well give up. (so boring).

It has. In the early 2000s you could name a thousand and one players for each department and all of them were world class. Back then you could grab a popcorn and juice just to watch Portsmouth vs Bolton, certian players would make you watch fiorentina vs roma, you would sit down to watch Villarreal and Valencia play. Football then had alot of flair and skillful players, ask yourself when last did you see a "snakebite" skill or rabona or sombrero etc? Football had alot of entertainers back then, these days there are little or no entertainers even the likes of Messi and Ronaldo weren't really entertaining in their time. They may be good dribblers but they weren't skillful.

. I think football started declining from 2010.

3 Likes

Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 30, 2020
NewDelhi:

It has. In the early 2000s you could name a thousand and one players for each department and all of them were world class. Back then you could grab a popcorn and juice just to watch Portsmouth vs Bolton, certian players would make you watch fiorentina vs roma, you would sit down to watch Villarreal and Valencia play. Football then had alot of flair and skillful players, ask yourself when last did you see a "snakebite" skill or rabona or sombrero etc? Football had alot of entertainers back then, these days there are little or no entertainers even the likes of Messi and Ronaldo weren't really entertaining in their time. They may be good dribblers but they weren't skillful.

I disagree with this Ronaldo and messi not being skillfull, Ronaldo drew much attention on his skills while on his early days at man United, did u watch euro 2004?. Ronaldo was so skillful back then with his leg overs, he made it so popular back then, coming to messi did you watch Nigeria vs Argentina final, even the tournament. This guys where great during their early years. Money spoilt the beauty of the game nothing more, football agents are now more about money than talents, politics also played a huge part, If arsenal can buy pepe for that ridiculous amount, see how millions is being placed on mbape alone.
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by oyatainer(m): 11:21pm On Dec 30, 2020
You can't compare eras in football like that. Remember the so called super players then did not come at the same time. Too much money pumped into football makes it look more tougher to me. What Neymar do and got injured now would be done and go free in those days. Now, everyone is claiming big player and refused to be humiliated. Several clips of stars are studied now to combat them in those days.
I can bet with you that many goals Henry scored back then may not be allowed in now that keepers are faced with pressure of money earned and press. And these are what make them better in highlight than now. I beg ooo, football does not reduce in quality it evolves everyday.
A Player like Ibramovic still says it that if he were to be a player in those days, he would have scored more than Pele's goals.

Football is getting tougher these days to me
it makes skillful players think twice before they use skills, knowingu quite well that results are desirable now.

I can place any striker and their performance side by side with what Harry Kane does now what Aguero did in the last four years. Don't say because some bigger teams are no longer classic these days and place them side by side with their players in the past,. Don't forget, some teams drop I think quality while some come stronger than the they used to be before. Eg Man City.

2 Likes

Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tplayer: 11:38pm On Dec 30, 2020
oyatainer:
You can't compare eras in football like that. Remember the so called super players then did not come at the same time. Too much money pumped into football makes it look more tougher to me. What Neymar do and got injured now would be done and go free in those days. Now, everyone is claiming big player and refused to be humiliated. Several clips of stars are studied now to combat them in those days.
I can bet with you that many goals Henry scored back then may not be allowed in now that keepers are faced with pressure of money earned and press. And these are what make them better in highlight than now. I beg ooo, football does not reduce in quality it evolves everyday.
A Player like Ibramovic still says it that if he were to be a player in those days, he would have scored more than Pele's goals.

Football is getting tougher these days to me
it makes skillful players think twice before they use skills, knowingu quite well that results are desirable now.

I can place any striker and their performance side by side with what Harry Kane does now what Aguero did in the last four years. Don't say because some bigger teams are no longer classic these days and place them side by side with their players in the past,. Don't forget, some teams drop I think quality while some come stronger than the they used to be before. Eg Man City.

It was slightly more physical 10-15 years ago. Remember Janetti, Nedved, Gattuso, Veira, Keane, Italian league, Adriano etc. It made it harder to score.

Baba Ronaldo of Brazil has no equal in this era. Overall, there are fewer exceptional players in this period. Agree?

Kane is not better than Eto, drogba, villa, Henry.

Now that man city has come up is nothing new. Research Aston villa, Leeds in the 2000s, Bayern Leverkusen, Napoli, valencia, Nottingham forest

1 Like

Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by obonujoker(m): 11:47pm On Dec 30, 2020
Yes quality football has dropped. No more technical football, just kick and follow.... Just imagine a clown like martial, being numero uno for man utd, when men like Saha, Sheringham couldn't be number 1
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tplayer: 11:53pm On Dec 30, 2020
Look at pogba: they call him world-class world-class up and down; can he untie nedved's, Deco, totti's, or Gerald's shoe lace in all honesty with what we have seen so far?

Look at Rashford: how many years in d first team and baba still dey play average in many games.

Martial is one player they say "he has huge talent" but what has he produced so far. He is just a player with an above average talent who people like to think of as hugely talented cos there ain't many talented players to put the spotlight on. Scarcity is working in his favour.

Now everybody wan play out from d back even when d players no dey to execute am

The game has evolved:better diet, better fitness, better technology but not technically superior to 15 years ago.
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tplayer: 11:57pm On Dec 30, 2020
obonujoker:
Yes quality football has dropped. No more technical football, just kick and follow.... Just imagine a clown like martial, being numero uno for man utd, when men like Saha, Sheringham couldn't be number 1

Abi. if Defoe play now I'm go be regular for England and captain sef.

Quality of defenders is the most affected kind of

1 Like

Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by obonujoker(m): 7:18am On Dec 31, 2020
tplayer:
Look at pogba: they call him world-class world-class up and down; can he untie nedved's, Deco, totti's, or Gerald's shoe lace in all honesty with what we have seen so far?

Look at Rashford: how many years in d first team and baba still dey play average in many games.

Martial is one player they say "he has huge talent" but what has he produced so far. He is just a player with an above average talent who people like to think of as hugely talented cos there ain't many talented players to put the spotlight on. Scarcity is working in his favour.

Now everybody wan play out from d back even when d players no dey to execute am

The game has evolved:better diet, better fitness, better technology but not technically superior to 15 years ago.

Money has killed everything... No more technique in football from Defence down to attack... And that's why you see coaches like Mou struggling to keep up with new age footballers
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tplayer: 7:42am On Dec 31, 2020
obonujoker:

Money has killed everything... No more technique in football from Defence down to attack... And that's why you see coaches like Mou struggling to keep up with new age footballers

Yes, money. It has spoilt players, agents and their devious tactics too.

See the 80million pound fridge manu bought. The world's most expensive defender cannot be said to be better than Chris samba, Ledley king, etc of the last era.
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by obonujoker(m): 7:55am On Dec 31, 2020
tplayer:

Yes, money. It has spoilt players, agents and their devious tactics too.

See the 80million pound fridge manu bought. The world's most expensive defender cannot be said to be better than Chris samba, Ledley king, etc of the last era.

Chai... You just destroyed my club grin... However you are right.... In those days na bench... Football ehn.... And it would keep getting worse in football though.... No more passion, just to get money and solve a mountain of problems in the family... Lol
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tplayer: 7:59am On Dec 31, 2020
obonujoker:

Chai... You just destroyed my club grin... However you are right.... In those days na bench... Football ehn.... And it would keep getting worse in football though.... No more passion, just to get money and solve a mountain of problems in the family... Lol

And those 2 defenders were not even d best in their era o.

1 Like

Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by obonujoker(m): 8:02am On Dec 31, 2020
tplayer:

And those 2 defenders were not even d best in their era o.

For where... Lol...
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by engrchykae(m): 8:12am On Dec 31, 2020
EliKen:
you're on point my dear.
I have long lost interest in football,I watched the gods of San siro, Clarence seedorf and men Dem.
I watched the gods of camp nou.
These little men do not excite me.
Imagine,I will go to a viewing center and be playing candy crush
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by engrchykae(m): 8:14am On Dec 31, 2020
NewDelhi:

yes,2010 was the last time the gods played
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by engrchykae(m): 8:18am On Dec 31, 2020
obonujoker:
imagine Gabriel Jesus and firmino being leading strikers in Brazil when in 2002,saint Kaka and Luis Fabiano were bench warmers.
Dingho is the only smallie permitted to play with the gods
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tplayer: 8:21am On Dec 31, 2020
obonujoker:

For where... Lol...
That means you really watched the soccer of DAT time.

Thanks. One bottle for you.

1 Like

Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by obonujoker(m): 8:25am On Dec 31, 2020
tplayer:

That means you really watched the soccer of DAT time.

Thanks. One bottle for you.

Bro ..... To be frank, my love for football has waned these days... In those days, I can't go a weekend without watching , but these days I pick matches and browse the rest on livescores... I started supporting Man UTd since 1999... Although started watching abd understanding since 94....

Football quality has really dropped
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tplayer: 8:27am On Dec 31, 2020
engrchykae:
I have long lost interest in football,I watched the gods of San siro, Clarence seedorf and men Dem.
I watched the gods of camp nou.
These little men do not excite me.
Imagine,I will go to a viewing center and be playing candy crush

Haha candy crush!!!!

See pogba. He has one of d largest followings on Instagram. What has he played in the last 5 years? is it better than stankovic, okocha, etc, the lesser lights of the last era.
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tplayer: 8:30am On Dec 31, 2020
obonujoker:

Bro ..... To be frank, my love for football has waned these days... In those days, I can't go a weekend without watching , but these days I pick matches and browse the rest on livescores... I started supporting Man UTd since 1999... Although started watching abd understanding since 94....

Football quality has really dropped

Another really one. Thanks. Good to see people who watch football in d 2000s

1 Like

Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tplayer: 8:32am On Dec 31, 2020
engrchykae:
imagine Gabriel Jesus and firmino being leading strikers in Brazil when in 2002,saint Kaka and Luis Fabiano were bench warmers.
Dingho is the only smallie permitted to play with the gods

Facts.
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tplayer: 8:37am On Dec 31, 2020
engrchykae:
yes,2010 was the last time the gods played

Now d gods are not dead but retired.
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by engrchykae(m): 9:26am On Dec 31, 2020
tplayer:

Now d gods are not dead but retired.
and watching
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by engrchykae(m): 9:33am On Dec 31, 2020
tplayer:

Haha candy crush!!!!

See pogba. He has one of d largest followings on Instagram. What has he played in the last 5 years? is it better than stankovic, okocha, etc, the lesser lights of the last era.
if it were in the days of seedorf,pirlo,deco,dingho and to a lesser extent xavi and iniesta his partner in crime,you get glued to the TV screen because crazy actions happens per second,del piero can decide to do a screamer at any time.
Etoo can score without trapping the ball,filipo inzaghi can score offside at anytime.
Dingho can mesmerize us at any time and salute the audience with his signature dance.
Even wrestling is not interesting again.
Na wao,wetin man go do?

1 Like

Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tplayer: 9:45am On Dec 31, 2020
engrchykae:
and watching
Hahagrin
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by NewDelhi(m): 12:09pm On Dec 31, 2020
engrchykae:
if it were in the days of seedorf,pirlo,deco,dingho and to a lesser extent xavi and iniesta his partner in crime,you get glued to the TV screen because crazy actions happens per second,del piero can decide to do a screamer at any time.
Etoo can score without trapping the ball,filipo inzaghi can score offside at anytime.
Dingho can mesmerize us at any time and salute the audience with his signature dance.
Even wrestling is not interesting again.
Na wao,wetin man go do?
Chaini wanted to talk about wrestling too. Mehn wrestling sweet die that year o. So many weird wrestlers to entertain you. Goldust, honky-tonk man, Rick flair, great khala , stone cold, Umaga, boogey man, rick flair etc. Wrestling was sweeter in the early 2000s than the 90s to me .
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tosyne2much(m): 10:06am On Jan 01, 2021
NewDelhi:

You write so well bro

Why not join Scorum and thank me later bro. You could hit me up let me put you through
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by NewDelhi(m): 10:54am On Jan 01, 2021
tosyne2much:
You write so well bro

Why not join Scorum and thank me later bro. You could hit me up let me put you through
Sure. What's the pay like?
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by tosyne2much(m): 10:58am On Jan 01, 2021
NewDelhi:

Sure. What's the pay like?
It depends on how passionate and consistent you are
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by paulolee(m): 11:55am On Jan 01, 2021
partially agree with you because these days money rules the world of football and also social media hypes aint helping upcoming players that do tends to flop after performance and hype of only one season
Re: Has The Quality Of Soccer Declined Over The Years? by NewDelhi(m): 12:02pm On Jan 01, 2021
tosyne2much:
It depends on how passionate and consistent you are
.is that ur WhatsApp number on your profile?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is It With Ballack That Makes Him Always Lose Finals? / Rangers V Dolphins (3-0) Full Time / Top 10 Highest Paid Footballers !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.