Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,498 members, 7,808,847 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:50 PM

How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? (1186 Views)

Is Smartphone Helping To Improve The Skill Of Nigerian Youths, Find Out Here / Samsung Announces Unbreakable Flexible OLED Smartphone Display / Help! My Tecno Wx3pro Brightness Adjustment Settings Is Not Working (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by atheistandproud(m): 4:48pm On Dec 31, 2020
Smartphone displays are self lit with backlights and this helps them function all round the clock. No matter the time of the day, be it in the bright sunshine or at midnight, your screen is expected to perform. The smartphone display is expected to be bright enough to display information that is legible (clear enough to read).

Since smartphones are small and highly mobile, we tend to take them out and about with us for a variety of reasons and purposes. This means that we may have to use these devices outdoors where there is a lot of light (especially sunlight).

When external light is brighter than your smartphone’s display, it becomes “washed out”. This means that you may be unable to decipher anything from it. This sometimes, is why you may be unable to use your phone properly under bright sunshine.

What is a Nit?

Smartphone brightness is measured in units called NIT. A Nit is a unit that represents the intensity of visible light. A high Nit rating means better legibility and operability under sunshine or other forms of external light.

A lot of smartphones today come with sunlight mode. In this mode, the display can become really bright and hold its own against sunlight. Usually if you set your brightness to Auto mode, it will push your display to maximum brightness.

Smartphone companies tend to advertise how bright the screens of their devices are in terms of nits and cite rather vague figures.

Low end devices such as those in the entry level and budget segments usually have displays of between 300 to 400 nit of brightness. A good example is Redmi 9A (400 nit). Midrange phones can have around 400 to 500 nit of brightness. Examples are Redmi Note 9 Pro (Pro Max) with 460 nit (616 nit in bright sunlight) and Realme 6 Pro with 421 nit. High end phones can have anything between 500 to as much as 900 nit of brightness. This can be seen in phones like Samsung Galaxy S20 (814 nit), Samsung S20 Ultra (894 nit), iPhone 12 Pro Max (800 nit) and the new Xiaomi MI 11 pushes the bar up to 1500 nit.

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2020/12/30/smartphone-display-brightness-nits/

1 Like

Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by sunshineV(f): 6:07pm On Dec 31, 2020
thanks boss but when we go get 5g for 9ja na?
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by atheistandproud(m): 7:12pm On Dec 31, 2020
sunshineV:
thanks boss but when we go get 5g for 9ja na?

Ask our ISPs oh

Glo

MTN

Airtel

Etisalat

Smart

Ntel

Nitel too sef

Even small Togo don sign 5G contract with Nokia.

Nigeria things, somebody sidon on top dey find bribe.
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by Ennyholar: 1:31am On Jan 01, 2021
Quite informative.
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by Gemineye: 1:58am On Jan 01, 2021
i need to follow this guy

1 Like

Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by Emeka71(m): 8:14am On Jan 01, 2021
On screen.
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by Adasun(m): 10:04am On Jan 01, 2021
Clear and precise.tanks

1 Like

Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by Gptech(m): 12:14pm On Jan 01, 2021
Really waiting for reviews of the Mi 11 to see if the 1500 nits claim is true. Samsung claimed same 1500 nits for the note 20 ultra too, but this should be achievable only for some apps. Make we see Xiaomi implementation sha, though the note 20 ultra already b like overkill.
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by atheistandproud(m): 11:37pm On Jan 01, 2021
Gptech:
Really waiting for reviews of the Mi 11 to see if the 1500 nits claim is true. Samsung claimed same 1500 nits for the note 20 ultra too, but this should be achievable only for some apps. Make we see Xiaomi implementation sha, though the note 20 ultra already b like overkill.

I follow you dey wait sir.
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by Rareoil(m): 1:58am On Jan 02, 2021
1500 nits would drain the battery like no tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by atheistandproud(m): 12:16pm On Jan 02, 2021
Rareoil:
1500 nits would drain the battery like no tomorrow.

Yes, absolutely but no one would leave their brightness at maximum na.
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by KrazyDave16(m): 1:19pm On Jan 02, 2021
atheistandproud:

Yes, absolutely but no one would leave their brightness at maximum na.
Leave your phone unsupervised with some people. They won't rest till they effortlessly give your phone screen burn.
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by atheistandproud(m): 1:35pm On Jan 02, 2021
KrazyDave16:

Leave your phone unsupervised with some people. They won't rest till they effortlessly give your phone screen burn.

Chai

I didn't think of this oh.

I stopped giving out my phone's to people since last year when one craze girl that wanted to send movies crossed over to my gallery and started deleting pictures (snakes, chameleons and spiders) because it "offended" her.

I have never yelled at anyone that loud before.
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by atheistandproud(m): 1:36pm On Jan 02, 2021
Adasun:
Clear and precise.tanks

You're welcome
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by KrazyDave16(m): 1:45pm On Jan 02, 2021
atheistandproud:

Chai

I didn't think of this oh.

I stopped giving out my phone's to people since last year when one craze girl that wanted to send movies crossed over to my gallery and started deleting pictures (snakes, chameleons and spiders) because it "offended" her.

I have never yelled at anyone that loud before.
My chest! grin
Now ladies in your area will think you are in some weird shii instead of seeing it as a hobby/passion.

But wait o...how'd you get them snakes to pose without... shocked
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by atheistandproud(m): 1:50pm On Jan 02, 2021
KrazyDave16:

My chest! grin
Now ladies in your area will think you are in some weird shii instead of seeing it as a hobby/passion.

But wait o...how'd you get them snakes to pose without... shocked

Dead ones obviously.

We kill quite a few in heat season between February to June.

The heat makes the snakes restless, since they cannot control their metabolism. They sometimes seek out human habitation.

2 Likes

Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by KrazyDave16(m): 2:02pm On Jan 02, 2021
atheistandproud:

Dead ones obviously.

We kill quite a few in heat season between February to June.

The heat makes the snakes restless, since they cannot control their metabolism. They sometimes seek out human habitation.
Somewhere North or close to the North I assume?
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by atheistandproud(m): 2:19pm On Jan 02, 2021
KrazyDave16:
Somewhere North or close to the North I assume?
Far North
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by KrazyDave16(m): 2:23pm On Jan 02, 2021
atheistandproud:

Far North
Damn!
Heard its quite good to live there if the heat, insecurity and sometimes tribalism can be ignored.
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by atheistandproud(m): 2:32pm On Jan 02, 2021
KrazyDave16:

Damn!
Heard its quite good to live there if the heat, insecurity and sometimes tribalism can be ignored.

It is, if you're willing to deal with all of the aforementioned and learn Hausa.

Although I'm considering ending my lectureship and returning south soonest.
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by KrazyDave16(m): 2:51pm On Jan 02, 2021
atheistandproud:

It is, if you're willing to deal with all of the aforementioned and learn Hausa.

Although I'm considering ending my lectureship and returning south soonest.
All the best with whatever decision you make.

1 Like

Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by Adasun(m): 9:44pm On Jan 02, 2021
Don't be angry o,redmi 9a or note 5 pro,which would u go for as a student?design,performance and camera are my priority.
atheistandproud:

You're welcome
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by atheistandproud(m): 8:35pm On Jan 03, 2021
Adasun:
Don't be angry o,redmi 9a or note 5 pro,which would u go for as a student?design,performance and camera are my priority.

The Note 5 pro is from which company?
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by Adasun(m): 11:33pm On Jan 04, 2021
atheistandproud:

The Note 5 pro is from which company?
redmi bosr 4/64
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by atheistandproud(m): 3:17pm On Jan 05, 2021
Adasun:
redmi bosr 4/64

Redmi Note 5 is faaaaaaaar better than the 9A

But it's also a bit older too, by at least two years.

Go for the Note 5

Genius43 also uses a Note 5
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by Adasun(m): 8:22pm On Jan 05, 2021
Maximum respect.thank you.
atheistandproud:

Redmi Note 5 is faaaaaaaar better than the 9A

But it's also a bit older too, by at least two years.
Go for the Note 5
Genius43 also uses a Note 5
Re: How is Smartphone Display Brightness Measured? by atheistandproud(m): 10:22am On Jan 13, 2021
Adasun:
Maximum respect.thank you.

You're welcome

(1) (Reply)

Premium Mercedes-benz Gadgets For Sale / Iphone Xsmax 64GB Available / Oraimo Invited Me To BBN Season 7 Opening Ceremony And This Happened!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.