Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,892 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:07 AM

Starting A Poultry - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry (1480 Views)

Starting A Poultry Parent Stock And Hatchery Business! Ask Me Anything / Pictorial Details Of A Poultry Farm Project In Lagos State / Starting Up A Poultry Farm In 2018 And My Weakness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Poultry by DrDax: 6:49pm On Jan 01, 2021
Okay, Seniors,

I want to go into poultry farming,

specifically rearing Day-Old chicks to maturity targeting the Easter and Christmas sales periods.

I am rich in lands but want to learn first by experimenting with 100 day-old chicks (broilers and layers 50-50) or not?

Kindly advise.

Note: No equipment is in place.

1. How and what equipment do I need to keep them happy in the crucial first month?

2. Who and where are the best quality day-old chicks in Lagos.

3. What equipment do I need from the get-go?

4. A step by step guide would be appreciated.

5. Best markets for poultry equipment in Lagos?

6. Best markets for quality and cost-effective feeds in Lagos?

The success of this experiment will determine how I will scale the business next December.

Awaiting your contributions.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry by Mide3367: 7:09pm On Jan 01, 2021
Space booked... Make i learn from pro
Re: Starting A Poultry by DrDax: 3:24am On Jan 02, 2021
I guess the seniors are still in new year celebratory mood.
Re: Starting A Poultry by kingofthemall: 12:21pm On Jan 02, 2021
Following
Re: Starting A Poultry by PhoenixNigeria: 2:34pm On Jan 02, 2021
First of all,as a beginner, go with broilers not layers
1. You'll need electric brooder or charcoal pot depending on your pocket, wood shavings and newspapers, around 4 bags of broiler starter like vital, top etc, wood panels for partitioning the pen or a brooding pen, feeders, tray and drinkers preferably with the colour red to attract them,multivitamins and anti coccidiostat, glucose mixed with water when they arrive,etc.
2.Ask around for a reputable agrited or amo distributor
3. Check no.1
5.Ask around as I'm based in Abuja
Note:Watch after them especially from the day they arrive. Check up on them with 1 to 2 hours intervals and reduce as the day goes by. When administering vaccine, deprive them of water for around 2 to 3 hours depending on age. Make sure to administer the vaccine early in the morning or late in the evening and when mixing the vaccine/medication, do it away from sunlight preferably inside(not inside the pen).
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry by DrDax: 3:49pm On Jan 02, 2021
PhoenixNigeria:
First of all,as a beginner, go with broilers not layers
1. You'll need electric brooder or charcoal pot depending on your pocket, wood shavings and newspapers, around 4 bags of broiler starter like vital, top etc, wood panels for partitioning the pen or a brooding pen, feeders, tray and drinkers preferably with the colour red to attract them,multivitamins and anti coccidiostat, glucose mixed with water when they arrive,etc.
2.Ask around for a reputable agrited or amo distributor
3. Check no.1
5.Ask around as I'm based in Abuja
Note:Watch after them especially from the day they arrive. Check up on them with 1 to 2 hours intervals and reduce as the day goes by. When administering vaccine, deprive them of water for around 2 to 3 hours depending on age. Make sure to administer the vaccine early in the morning or late in the evening and when mixing the vaccine/medication, do it away from sunlight preferably inside(not inside the pen).
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Thanks.

How about equipments.

Cages?

Source for chicks?

Equipment?

Feeds?
Re: Starting A Poultry by PhoenixNigeria: 6:27pm On Jan 02, 2021
Equipments are Feeders and drinkers(5 each)charcoal stove, 2 trays, wood shavings not saw dust(as much as you can get),3 or 4 full newspapers,light bulbs for feeding at night.1 or 2 are okay.1 sachet of multivitamins and anti coccidiostat for the main time,ask a vet for the full vaccination list. 4 bags of starter etc.
You don't really need cage for broilers although some people do it but it isn't necessary.
Check around poultry farms and ask where they get their day old chicks from. I'm in Abuja so I can't really tell. Make sure you request for agrited or amo, it's expensive but they grow faster and bigger. I'll recommend top, chikun or vital feeds.
Re: Starting A Poultry by umall41(m): 7:22pm On Jan 03, 2021
Greetings to everyone,
I am highly interested and following. I am a beginner too with no experience, and no equipment but I am about to start in my backyard. Plz can u post a picture of a cage for a day old chicks to know what it looks like preferably the local one, so I can build one like it. I want to start with 50 piceces ,Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry by REUBEN010(m): 9:47pm On Jan 03, 2021
Raising 50 broilers is quite different from going commercial (1,000 broilers and above) for the following reasons:
*Managing 50 broilers is quite easy but with a larger number, you may be overwhelmed.
*Market realities between 50 broilers and a commercial quantity differ. You may find it easier marketing the 50 compared to a larger number.
*Experience is a very expensive teacher. It's actually better to learn practically from another farmer's mistake than learning from yours. Money is very precious to lose this days. Many persons have developed high BP as a result of poultry wahala.

I'll suggest you enrol for internship under a successful commercial poultry farmer within your locality for at least 2 production cycles. That way, you learn the market dynamics and production technicalities. The farmer will also serve as your mentor should you encounter difficulties in production.
Re: Starting A Poultry by DrDax: 3:07am On Jan 04, 2021
REUBEN010:
Raising 50 broilers is quite different from going commercial (1,000 broilers and above) for the following reasons:
*Managing 50 broilers is quite easy but with a larger number, you may be overwhelmed.
*Market realities between 50 broilers and a commercial quantity differ. You may find it easier marketing the 50 compared to a larger number.
*Experience is a very expensive teacher. It's actually better to learn practically from another farmer's mistake than learning from yours. Money is very precious to lose this days. Many persons have developed high BP as a result of poultry wahala.

I'll suggest you enrol for internship under a successful commercial poultry farmer within your locality for at least 2 production cycles. That way, you learn the market dynamics and production technicalities. The farmer will also serve as your mentor should you encounter difficulties in production.

Not a bad idea at all.

Will look into it.

Meanwhile, I will appreciate some pointers to raising 100 day old chicks.

It's just a confidence builder.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry by Donmegalin(m): 12:23pm On Jan 04, 2021
Following thinking of starting wt 50broilers
Re: Starting A Poultry by awa(m): 1:41pm On Jan 06, 2021
Dear Senior Farmers, I got about 260 Agrited Broilers on 1st January 2021 and between then and now, I have lost about 10 Birds. The Birds are generally looking healthy but I am still suffering casualty. What do I do. I am Beginner in Poultry Farming. I have done one production cycle with my experienced Trainer before coming to open mine
Re: Starting A Poultry by dierich: 10:04pm On Jan 06, 2021
awa:
Dear Senior Farmers, I got about 260 Agrited Broilers on 1st January 2021 and between then and now, I have lost about 10 Birds. The Birds are generally looking healthy but I am still suffering casualty. What do I do. I am Beginner in Poultry Farming. I have done one production cycle with my experienced Trainer before coming to open mine
You have a lot of questions to answer
But u can post the picture of your pen to see what it looks like and d condition of the chicks.

Also, I'll like to ask the antibiotics you've given dem, the color of their poo and the source of heat you're using.
Goodluck
Re: Starting A Poultry by DrDax: 1:49pm On Jan 07, 2021
dierich:

You have a lot of questions to answer
But u can post the picture of your pen to see what it looks like and d condition of the chicks.

Also, I'll like to ask the antibiotics you've given dem, the color of their poo and the source of heat you're using.
Goodluck

Apparently you know about this.

How about sharing answers to my earlier questions.

Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry by dierich: 6:05pm On Jan 07, 2021
DrDax:

Apparently you know about this.

How about sharing answers to my earlier questions.

Thanks.

Remind me of the question sir
Re: Starting A Poultry by dierich: 6:14pm On Jan 07, 2021
DrDax:
Okay, Seniors,

I want to go into poultry farming,

specifically rearing Day-Old chicks to maturity targeting the Easter and Christmas sales periods.

I am rich in lands but want to learn first by experimenting with 100 day-old chicks (broilers and layers 50-50) or not?

Kindly advise.

Note: No equipment is in place.

1. How and what equipment do I need to keep them happy in the crucial first month?

2. Who and where are the best quality day-old chicks in Lagos.

3. What equipment do I need from the get-go?

4. A step by step guide would be appreciated.

5. Best markets for poultry equipment in Lagos?

6. Best markets for quality and cost-effective feeds in Lagos?

The success of this experiment will determine how I will scale the business next December.

Awaiting your contributions.

Okay .
To your question. Please go for broilers only for now.
You need to learn from broilers den extend your knowledge to layers, turkeys and others.

1. No much equipment, just get drinkers, feeders and tray feeders. They will need tray feeder in there first week. Also you need source of light and heat. They need light to be eating overnight. This is important in there first 2 weeks

2. No chicks is the best. But since you want to be keeping them for festive period like Easter and Christmas den I'll advice you go for agrited or obj Marshall because they grow tall and attract customers especially there male.
Though I'm not base in Lagos but there are good and trustworthy suppliers you can attach yourself to.

4. Look for a WhatsApp group or telegram or any other, then ask people questions. Sometimes u don't need to ask questions but you'll see some farmers posting there issues and people will give dem solutions. From there you'll also learn incase you encounter such problems.
This is the method I use to learn too.

5 & 6. I'm not base in Lagos so I can't tell

I hope this is helpful in a little way.
Wish you the best sir
Re: Starting A Poultry by DrDax: 8:32pm On Jan 07, 2021
dierich:

Okay .
To your question. Please go for broilers only for now.
You need to learn from broilers den extend your knowledge to layers, turkeys and others.

1. No much equipment, just get drinkers, feeders and tray feeders. They will need tray feeder in there first week. Also you need source of light and heat. They need light to be eating overnight. This is important in there first 2 weeks

2. No chicks is the best. But since you want to be keeping them for festive period like Easter and Christmas den I'll advice you go for agrited or obj Marshall because they grow tall and attract customers especially there male.
Though I'm not base in Lagos but there are good and trustworthy suppliers you can attach yourself to.

4. Look for a WhatsApp group or telegram or any other, then ask people questions. Sometimes u don't need to ask questions but you'll see some farmers posting there issues and people will give dem solutions. From there you'll also learn incase you encounter such problems.
This is the method I use to learn too.

5 & 6. I'm not base in Lagos so I can't tell

I hope this is helpful in a little way.
Wish you the best sir

Agrited and obj it is then.

Thanks for your contribution.

Now hoping for info on equipment - Day-old enclosure and housing for them when more matured.

Seniors in the house, please.
Re: Starting A Poultry by dierich: 8:55pm On Jan 07, 2021
DrDax:

Agrited and obj it is then.

Thanks for your contribution.

Now hoping for info on equipment - Day-old enclosure and housing for them when more matured.

Seniors in the house, please.

I really don't understand the equipment you're talking about. I've already stated what you need. But don't understand the equipment part again.
Just go to the market where they sell plastics, you may likely see the drinkers and feeders tray.
About housing, make sure it's covered with nylon or tampolin, then you need source of heat and light. Woodshave to use on the floor.
You can also check YouTube for more visual education on poultry
Re: Starting A Poultry by DrDax: 2:32am On Jan 08, 2021
dierich:

I really don't understand the equipment you're talking about. I've already stated what you need. But don't understand the equipment part again.
Just go to the market where they sell plastics, you may likely see the drinkers and feeders tray.
About housing, make sure it's covered with nylon or tampolin, then you need source of heat and light. Woodshave to use on the floor.
You can also check YouTube for more visual education on poultry

Thank you very much.
Re: Starting A Poultry by CornerChen: 7:30am On Jan 20, 2021
Our company supply poultry cage for chicken farm for around 35 years
We have layer cage, pullet cage and breeder cage
We also have floor equipment for broiler for various capacity.
Kindly contact me for detail quotation and design,
My WhatsApp: +8615838398703
Email: vin.chensn@gmail.com

Re: Starting A Poultry by kingofthemall: 2:01am On Mar 10, 2021
InterpolEyes:
Hi, did you confirm if the first bank at iju is open?
It's still locked!!!

(1) (Reply)

Do Not Throw Away Instead Re-use Plastic Bottles. / Entomologist In Nigeria / Help!my Broilers Has No Weight@ 8 Weeks+

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.