Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts (9893 Views)

Top List Of Former Governors Who Left High Domestic Debts For Successors (Photo) / Fuel Price Hike: Depot Owners, Marketers Rake In N4.2bn Extra Profit In 3 Days / Military Jets, Soldiers Take Over Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Kwara, Adamawa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by adenigga(m): 12:35pm On Jan 04, 2021
The domestic debts owed by state governments and the Federal Capital Territory rose to N4.19tn at the end of the third quarter of 2020, with Lagos, Rivers and Akwa Ibom as the three most indebted, according to the latest data from the Debt Management Office.

The N4.19tn debt represents 20.91 per cent of the country’s domestic debt stock of N20.04tn as of Q3 2020, up from N19.65tn in the previous quarter.

The DMO data showed that subnational governments’ domestic debts increased by N484.24m in Q3 2020, while that of the Federal Government rose by N390bn to N15.85tn.

Lagos and four oil-producing states – Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Delta and Cross River – emerged as the top five debtors, with a combined domestic debt stock of about N1.40tn.

The five states accounts for 33.41 per cent of the total domestic debt owed by the subnational governments in the country as of September 30, 2020.

Lagos owed N493.32bn as of Q3 2020, accounting for 11.77 per cent of subnational governments’ total domestic debt.

Rivers has a domestic debt stock of N266.94bn, which represents 6.37 per cent of the country’s subnational domestic debt stock.

Akwa Ibom’s domestic debt stood at N239.21bn, representing 5.71 per cent of the total domestic debts owed by subnational governments as of Q3 2020.

Delta accounts for 5.63 per cent of the total subnational domestic debt, as it owed N235.86bn as of September 30, 2020.

Cross River has a domestic debt stock of N164.10bn. This represents 3.92 per cent of the subnational domestic debt stock.

Other states with high domestic debts include Imo, with a debt of N158.17bn; Ogun, N150.09bn; Bayelsa, N147.89bn; Osun, N134.89bn; and Benue, N128.50bn.

Others are Plateau, with a domestic debt stock of N127.01bn; Taraba, N122.75bn; Kano, N116.99bn; Adamawa, N116.89bn; and Oyo, N99.94bn.

The states with the least domestic debt stocks include Yobe, with a debt of N29.23bn; Jigawa, N36.04bn; Ebonyi, N41.27bn; Katsina, N44.42bn; and Sokoto, N48.09bn.

Others are Anambra, N59.01bn; Nasarawa, N61.29bn; Enugu, N62.44bn; Kwara, N63.37; and Niger, N65.60bn.

The DMO had on Thursday disclosed that the nation’s total public debt stock rose by N1.21tn in Q3 2020 to N32.22tn amid revenue shortfalls.

The domestic debt of N20.04tn comprised 62.19 per cent of the total public debt, while external debt accounted for the balance of 37.81 per cent.

The International Monetary Fund said in December that Nigeria needed significant revenue mobilisation — including through tax policy and administration improvements — to create space for higher social spending and reduce fiscal risks and debt vulnerabilities.

“With high poverty rates and only a gradual recovery in prospect, revenue mobilisation will need to rely initially on progressive and efficiency-enhancing measures, with higher VAT and excise rates awaiting until stronger economic recovery takes root,” it said.

Source:
https://m.punchng.com/Business/Lagos-Rivers-Akwa-Ibom-lead-in-N4.19tn-subnational-domestic-debts

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by NwaNimo1(m): 12:36pm On Jan 04, 2021
IMF - “With high poverty rates and only a gradual recovery in prospect, revenue mobilisation will need to rely initially on progressive and efficiency-enhancing measures, with higher VAT and excise rates awaiting until stronger economic recovery takes root,” it said.

This contraption called Nigeria needs dissolving....

4 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Cashsteady(m): 12:39pm On Jan 04, 2021
Oya where are the akwa ibom hypers? Apart from Lagos, pH and abuja the rest Nigeria states and cities are completely useless and stuck in the same level of development apart from those states in the terrorist region that are worse

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Norwichsailor(m): 12:40pm On Jan 04, 2021
Akwa Ibom and Cross river tbh have not much to show, oil money and you're also borrowing? Akwa Ibom my state should be giving Lagos and Abuja sleepless nights in terms of all round development.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Fahdiga(m): 12:40pm On Jan 04, 2021
All this debts with nothing to show for it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Cashsteady(m): 12:45pm On Jan 04, 2021
Norwichsailor:
Akwa Ibom and Cross river tbh have not much to show, oil money and you're also borrowing? Akwa Ibom my state should be giving Lagos and Abuja sleepless nights in terms of all round development.

Bro akwa ibom can Never catch up with Lagos even in 20 yrs time don't mind all those akwa ibom hypers.. apart from the serenity and good roads akwa ibom is nothing to write home about. Even the poverty in that state is second to none.. if not for bad roads ogun is far better than akwa and ibom even

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Fantasticcc: 12:51pm On Jan 04, 2021
I expected Lagos to be there, they are good at borrowing with only bullion van to show for it.

But what's akwa ibom doing in that list with all their oil money..hmm!of course river state will be their when wike is only burrowing money to build flyovers in port Harcourt like that's the only city in the state.Dumb governor.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by DukeJoe17: 12:53pm On Jan 04, 2021
Udom is a phuck

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Norwichsailor(m): 12:53pm On Jan 04, 2021
Cashsteady:

Bro akwa ibom can Never catch up with Lagos even in 20 yrs time don't mind all those akwa ibom hypers.. apart from the serenity and good roads akwa ibom is nothing to write home about. Even the poverty in that state is second to none.. if not for bad roads ogun is far better than akwa and ibom even
I'm speaking from a point of constructive criticism and don't mention me in your hate filled mentions ever, clown.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by LukasPodolski: 1:07pm On Jan 04, 2021
my state is owning 63billion, that's not too bad.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Stateoforigin: 1:33pm On Jan 04, 2021
Ok
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Sammy07: 1:39pm On Jan 04, 2021
Where is Ondo and Ekiti nah undecided
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Sammy07: 1:43pm On Jan 04, 2021
Fantasticcc:
I expected Lagos to be there, they are good at borrowing with only bullion van to show for it.

But what's akwa ibom doing in that list with all their oil money..hmm!of course river state will be their when wike is only burrowing money to build flyovers in port Harcourt like that's the only city in the state.Dumb governor.

Norwichsailor:

You guys, you ain't criticizing the right state.

Just take a look at
Bayelsa (a state with little population and less LGs), delta, cross river, Osun, Benue.

Just look at the debts they're owing with nothing to show.
At least we're seeing what Akwaibom is doing with her money.
I bolded Bayelsa and delta because they're oil producing states with nothing to show.

13 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Racoon(m): 1:44pm On Jan 04, 2021
All these aforementioned states ought not to be owing any debts giving the allocations coming to them from the national & IGRs.Almost all the governors are just state chief executives of corruption.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Norwichsailor(m): 1:51pm On Jan 04, 2021
Sammy07:

Just take a look at
Bayelsa (a state with little population and less LGs), delta, cross river, Osun, Benue.

I bolded Bayelsa and delta because they're oil producing states with nothing to show.
Those ones are special case

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by SonyENT: 3:25pm On Jan 04, 2021
T
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by wink2015(m): 3:30pm On Jan 04, 2021
CORRUPTION IS THE NUMBER ONE CAUSE OF THIS INDEBTEDNESS.

Some of these governors starts elephant project that had no value on their states and the next governor that takes over do not continue.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by useIess2020: 3:30pm On Jan 04, 2021
Cashsteady:
Oya where are the akwa ibom hypers? Apart from Lagos, pH and abuja the rest Nigeria states and cities are completely useless and stuck in the same level of development apart from those states in the terrorist region that are worse
well I'm from Akwa Ibom State and you're right but remove PH from your list

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by bro4u: 3:31pm On Jan 04, 2021
Gov. Udom of Akwa ibom is a joke, a man with a mission to destroy Akwa ibom with unemployment and debts. Funny enough he is accomplishing it

4 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by VEXT: 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2021
Cashsteady:

U be big goat aswear.....None of southwest states u fit use compare with akwaibom... Apart from lagos, where be no man land....

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by useIess2020: 3:32pm On Jan 04, 2021
Sammy07:

Just take a look at

what does Akwa ibom have to show?
Or you're just spewing ignorance all the way from the North that you reside
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Austineva(m): 3:34pm On Jan 04, 2021
Kudos to my Darling state, Ebonyi! They are always at d good place

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by bayelsaowei(m): 3:34pm On Jan 04, 2021
With little or nothing to account for it...
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by VEXT: 3:35pm On Jan 04, 2021
useIess2020:
well I'm from Akwa Ibom State and you're right but remove PH from your list

Just tell us u r from ph, and stop acting useless!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Stevengold(m): 3:35pm On Jan 04, 2021
See money shocked, why do we owe this much? What was are funds beeing used for?? Why na??
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by useIess2020: 3:36pm On Jan 04, 2021
VEXT:

Just tell us u r from ph, and stop acting useless!!
kop inua ke ndoh, inye owo Ito pH?
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by careytommy37(m): 3:37pm On Jan 04, 2021
The 419 states I guess
Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by VEXT: 3:37pm On Jan 04, 2021
useIess2020:
kop inua ke ndoh, inye owo Ito pH?

I can speak Hausa very well, does not mean am a northerner..so go bleep ur useless self!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Exc2000: 3:37pm On Jan 04, 2021
Governors don't know more than to borrow, I hope Seyi Makinde is cautioned before it's too late

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom Lead In N4.19tn Subnational Domestic Debts by Okoxobo: 3:38pm On Jan 04, 2021
Nice one

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Listed 500 Govt Fund Thieves And Nothing Happened – Nzeribe / 33 Feared Dead In Ogun As Coaster Bus Plunges Into River / FG Suspends Implementation Of Expatriate Employment Levy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.