Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? (16043 Views)

Masquerades Seen Giving A Man Change After The Man Offered Them Money / Masquerades At Golibe Festival Onitsha (Photos) / 25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by oloshun(m): 4:00pm On Jan 05, 2021
That's it. You have said it all. They know the efficacy, originality, complexity and value of our arts and culture. The question we still need to ask ourselves is "when they were demonizing our arts and culture and converting us to their religion, if truly our arts were demonic, why did they transport them to their museums? Or who wants to keep demons � in his custody?

TouchRight:
They know better

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by oloshun(m): 4:01pm On Jan 05, 2021
That's it. You have said it all. They know the efficacy, originality, complexity and value of our arts and culture. The question we still need to ask ourselves is "when they were demonizing our arts and culture and converting us to their religion, if truly our arts were demonic, why did they transport them to their museums? Or who wants to keep demons � in his custody?
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by FisifunKododada: 4:35pm On Jan 05, 2021
Because Nigerians are foolish. They are more Christian than Jesus. More Muslim than Mohammed. Nigerians carry foreign religion/culture for head like gala.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by vioment: 4:38pm On Jan 05, 2021
Question with question.

Why do hunters appreciate their kills than none hunters? Especially if that kill was a lion or something like that.

The short answer is that these were the medals of the conquerors. Outside of people for slavery and colonization, they were no other winning medals, except these carvings that most Africans had and worshipped.
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by fredoooooo: 4:40pm On Jan 05, 2021
Ori won ma yi ni
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Sunky200: 4:58pm On Jan 05, 2021
HellVictorinho:

I am not a fourth class citizen!!!!!!
Furthermore, I don't gain anything from masquerades so I don't think they should exist!!!!
Why should I also believe that any religion is my essence
Why should I do what my ancestors did when it doesn't make sense??
Why do you think anyone that doesn't practise baseless traditions is misinformed
Do you think I give a damn about the lifestyles of the white people
All blacks are not the same!!!!!
All blacks don't have the same reasoning!!!!!!!!

so why do you feel offended when Africans heritage is being discussed cos I don't understand your you or are you telling me Africa and Africans is at per with other continents?
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Udstar(m): 5:20pm On Jan 05, 2021
Because we don see am finish
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by 1Sharon(f): 5:36pm On Jan 05, 2021
thundafire:
blaming the white wen our black leaders are useless is absolutely absurd. We are in 21st century and we can't blame the past always. British were very brutal with the Americans and Scottish yet they are very developed with a right thinking attitude.

You do know Scots are British right?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by 1Sharon(f): 5:40pm On Jan 05, 2021
Originalsly:
One of the poorest countries in the world is Haiti... (why is another story). If you believe Nigeria is sooo hard... try Haiti. Regardless of what the world says or believe.... a Hatian will proudly tell you he is Hatian... and he will hold on to his culture wherever he is. The ones who practice voodoo will not hesitate to let you know.... they are proud and maintain their culture. Jamaicans another example... they hardly ever compromise....they will speak their "pidgin" and you are expected to understand or ask for interpretation.... while we will form half baked accents. If we are not proud of ourselves as individuals... how can we be proud of our culture.... let alone artifacts? What have we done with our historical slave trade sites?.... what have the Ghanians done with theirs?
Masquerade we want to erase from our culture.... but let's promote and embrace Halloween. Why?...... INFERIORITY COMPLEX.

You don't know shìt about Jamaicans lol
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by sadiqsalau888(m): 5:48pm On Jan 05, 2021
Africans should learn from china and India

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jan 05, 2021
Sunky200:

so why do you feel offended when Africans heritage is being discussed cos I don't understand your you or are you telling me Africa and Africans is at per with other continents?
Concerning the state of the economies of African nations,you should know that there are powerful/rich Africans that mismanaged the resources of African nations while they were ruling!!!!!
They did it as a result of greed/wickedness.
Also, the amount of money spent on the salaries/allowances of the people that make up many African governments is really huge.
So,it doesn't make any sense to say Africans are inferior/superior to non-Africans when you consider the relevance of the people that make up every race.
It's not about the economic development ratings!!!!!
It's about the relevance of the people behind the order of the ratings or the people that contribute to the order of the ratings as they carry out whatever activity in their countries!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Felabarmudia: 6:31pm On Jan 05, 2021
Godpikin4real:
A white man once told me "He's more African dan I am". Up till date, I still wonder what he means by dat. Also, this post reminds me of him.
He meant he knows our story more than we do...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by odonkoro: 7:12pm On Jan 05, 2021
Because many of us have been reoriented to value everything foreign more than what we can produce locally; even God. Africa have a long way to go.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by MoneyTrees(m): 7:23pm On Jan 05, 2021
Because foreigners are real niggars
They understand that God does not stay in big cathedrals
God is in all of us
We all are Gods
Value what you have, your culture is ya pride

ethicallyright:
The first week of this year has produced stories with diverse themes , hopeful and thought-provoking news contents and revealing current affairs nuggets.

Few of these captivating pieces of information have made it to the front page of Africa's largest Internet forum, Nairaland. One of the trending media content that got to the front page was that of a cultural masquerade who relieved himself of his traditional duty after a convincing sermon by a young christian lady.

From twitter retweets by conservatives to Facebook timelines of Pan-Africans and even in the Nairaland thread provided immediately after this paragraph, there has been a battle of wits between citizens who believe the Nigerian culture of masquerading has outlived its importance and those who find pride in the ways of their ancestors who came before them.

https://www.nairaland.com/6344670/lady-converts-masquerader-christianity-makes

The purpose of this thread is anything but an argument. This thread simply reveals, with concrete evidence, what multinationals and foreigners think about our masquerades and masks.
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by idahme(m): 7:24pm On Jan 05, 2021
tutudesz:

Just imagine with various tribes across Nigeria, we could've been earning sweet foreign exchange running into billions of dollars yearly.

U can say that again, unfortunately we are here.
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by ifiokbenzy(m): 8:19pm On Jan 05, 2021
Culture has been mixed with religion and that's the reason true Nigerian who understand the impact of such religion avoid the parades.
We had a cultural display that almost turned bloody on the 2nd of January in AkwaIbom.
Looting and intimidation made those who wanted to see the masquerade show regret.
Remember masquerade is a culture that involves initiation of some special people and it was earlier used to control or maintain orderliness while I prefer to be silent on the religious part.
Today masquerades are cultist and if you have earlier clashed with them, the revenge becoms sweet under the mask...Trust me you'll pay to watch a young boy matchet you for scolding him for a wrong attitude.
The organizers fail to see it from the perspective of purely entertainment maybe because some masquerades from other communities Grace the show and nobody monitors their excesses.
How do you explain masquerades brandishing matchet and attempting to stop a car on the highway. Or like we usually ask 'Can Barney or Santa do that' I rest my case!
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Mogajunior(m): 9:41pm On Jan 05, 2021
mansakhalifa:
You want to know why?

It is simply because Nigeria is home to some of the most inferior Africans that you will ever find anywhere on this bloody Earth.
Like my father would always say: they want to be more 'white' than the 'white man' himself.

We were thoroughly colonized. Why do a lot of Nigerians try to speak with a "foreign accent" for instance?

Nigerians are messed up like that.

My opinion.
Your statement is somewhat valid but doesn't in anyway answer the question.
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Ajsmart(m): 9:50pm On Jan 05, 2021
Because the average Nigerian is a stupid, easily brainwashed religious slowpoke who will hand over his/her birthright for anything foreign (though inferior). As a matter of fact, you can never convince the average Nigerian that she/he’s actually smarter, civilised and more spiritual than a white man so the whiteman/woman continues to enslave him/her perpetually since he/she enjoys staying low.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Rossintii: 5:36am On Jan 06, 2021
mansakhalifa:
You want to know why?

It is simply because Nigeria is home to some of the most inferior Africans that you will ever find anywhere on this bloody Earth.
Like my father would always say: they want to be more 'white' than the 'white man' himself.

We were thoroughly colonized. Why do a lot of Nigerians try to speak with a "foreign accent" for instance?

Nigerians are messed up like that.

My opinion.

You are 1000% correct.

I've never seen a group of Africans with the level of racial inferiority complex as Nigerians.

Highly colonised and brainwashed set of people.

That is why they are the world's skin bleaching capital.

That is why their newscasters sound so horrible as they try to fake UK and US accents.

The other day I started a thread to show how corruption, like drug trafficking, was an international racket, requiring us to tackle both local and foreign players, including western banks and nations harbouring our looted funds. Immediately these slaves pretending to be free human beings descended on me, and accused me of ''blaming white people for our problems''.

The very thought of criticising or confronting whites or white nations on an issue at all, is like an abomination to most of them.

But they are willing to attack whole ethnic groups that look like them, based on the merest suspicion of wrongdoing.

Lost people.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Rossintii: 5:53am On Jan 06, 2021
Ajsmart:
Because the average Nigerian is a stupid, easily brainwashed religious slowpoke who will hand over his/her birthright for anything foreign (though inferior). As a matter of fact, you can never convince the average Nigerian that she/he’s actually smarter, civilised and more spiritual than a white man so the whiteman/woman continues to enslave him/her perpetually since he/she enjoys staying low.

It's a real pity.

Even the moderators of this site are drowning in racial inferiority complex.

I can't tell you how many threads I've started showing precolonial African civilization in all its glory and majesty, and clearly deserving of front page presence, only for them to be ignored and relegated to the 'Culture' section by the 'moderators'. Even as they post ridiculous garbage like ''The snake I killed in my backyard'', ''Tiwa Savage Chilling in Dubai'', and ''Linda Ikeji Buys New SUV For her Mother''.

Useless, lost people.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Rossintii: 6:06am On Jan 06, 2021
sadiqsalau888:
Africans should learn from china and India

We are only good at attacking ''our leaders'' and demanding they ''Be like China'' etc.

But you cannot ''be like China'' if you have racial inferiority complex. If you use European languages with no plans to indigenize your lingua franca. If you adhere to European religions with no plans to develop or adopt your own ancient religions and philosophies. If you automatically prefer foreign manufactured goods to your own. If you are afraid to confront white nations or challenge them in any way, including technological prowess, seeing them as the unreachable ideal or 'ultimate'.

To be like China, you must THINK like China.

You cannot develop from a mental position of inferiority. Only from a mental position of equality, or even superiority.

BELIEVE you are equally as capable and competent as any race on Earth, and THEN you will get there. NOT BEFORE, because it is THOUGHTS that create reality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by thundafire: 4:54pm On Jan 06, 2021
1Sharon:

You do know Scots are British right?
they are not. They are fighting for their independence and have voted to be in the EU
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by 1Sharon(f): 5:08pm On Jan 06, 2021
thundafire:
they are not. They are fighting for their independence and have voted to be in the EU

What island is Scotland located on?
Re: Why Do Foreigners Appreciate Nigerian Masquerades, Artifact More Than Nigerians? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 07, 2021
Rossintii:

We are only good at attacking ''our leaders'' and demanding they ''Be like China'' etc.

But you cannot ''be like China'' if you have racial inferiority complex. If you use European languages with no plans to indigenize your lingua franca. If you adhere to European religions with no plans to develop or adopt your own ancient religions and philosophies. If you automatically prefer foreign manufactured goods to your own. If you are afraid to confront white nations or challenge them in any way, including technological prowess, seeing them as the unreachable ideal or 'ultimate'.

To be like China, you must THINK like China.

You cannot develop from a mental position of inferiority. Only from a mental position of equality, or even superiority.

BELIEVE you are equally as capable and competent as any race on Earth, and THEN you will get there. NOT BEFORE, because it is THOUGHTS that create reality.

You cannot develop from a mental position of inferiority. Indeed!

One culture that survived the European intrusion and demonization of various cultures around the globe is the Japanese.
They considered their spirituality, gods, and culture to be equal to or even superior to the Europeans’. When the Jesuits weren’t kidnapping Japanese children to be sold to European Christians, they were converting them to their depraved christianity, and destroying Japanese artifacts and religious tokens.

The Japanese got smart pretty quickly, they expelled the so called “society of Jesus” and ordered Japanese Christians to renounce the Jesus delusion or face expulsion from Japan. The ones who didn’t were either killed or starved until they renounced the Christian nonsense.

To cut a long story short, Japan got whatever value they could get from the Europeans (google Dutch learning in Japan) and discarded the Christian nonsense that required them to demonize their own history, culture, and beliefs in favor of some ridiculous story of a whitewashed Jew on a stick. My people did the exact opposite.
Today Japan thrives while so called Nigerians are waiting for the Jew on a stick to come back to earth on horse back in an event called “the rapture” talk less of the ones who consider Arab barbarism as virtue.........stupid mutha...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? / What Tribe Do You Like Best And Why? / How Can You Marry Someone From An Ethnic Group You Claim To Hate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.