Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,077 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:46 AM

Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers (1279 Views)

This Machine Can Wash Dangote Trucks, BRT, Luxurious Buses, Trailers In 6mins / Signs That Your Car Has A Suspension System Problem / Bose's Amazing 'jumping' Car Suspension System Still Blows Minds. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 9:20pm On Jan 05, 2021
Hello Guys

I wish us all a Happy New Year grin

So tonight, I'd like to tell us about the Tri axle suspensions.

Have you ever seen a Truck that looks like this?

or something like this?

Whenever you see a truck looking this way, it means it's carrying a Tri Axle Suspension

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 8:44am On Jan 06, 2021
Tri-axle simply means "Three Axles"

In Nigeria, they are usually called "Langa-Langa" or "Kape-Kape" ....(I don't know why grin )

When trying to build a trailer body, the selection for the suspension is very dependent on the load the truck wants to carry

A truck that wants to carry empty cartons would definitely have a different suspension from a truck that would carry Cement, or iron sheets

Knowing the capacity of what you want to carry would help you greatly, because if you put a bigger suspension for a lesser load, it's like you wasted money....

If you also put a smaller suspension for a bigger load, hmmmm...

Do you understand? grin
Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 8:55am On Jan 06, 2021
The Tonnage of the trailer is determined by the Ton of the Axle

If you want to build a 36 Ton trailer body, this means you need 3 axles

36รท3=12

So you need three "12 Ton" axles to build a 36 Ton trailer body

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 8:59am On Jan 06, 2021
Now let's go back to the suspension

This is what the suspension of a Tri axle trailer looks like...

1 Share

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 9:07am On Jan 06, 2021
We have different categories for the Suspension kit.. But the commonly used ones are

3 inches suspension kit

3.5 inches suspension kit

4 inches suspension kit

Like we said before, the lighter the load, the smaller the suspension size and probably axle.

But (off the record grin), the mostly used suspension kit is the 3.5 inches. It puts this balance between the light and heavy load. I always advice people to go for that.
Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 9:12am On Jan 06, 2021
So, let us list out the parts that make up the Tri-axle Suspension kit

Note: All sizes (3, 3.5, and 4 inches) have the same parts but they may look different. But it's almost similar and have the same names

I'll be using the 4 inches for our example....The one you see in this picture below

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 9:22am On Jan 06, 2021
The following are the parts that comprises of a complete Tri-axle Suspension

* Single Axle (3 pieces)

* Front Hanger (2 pieces)

* Back (Rear) Hanger (2 pieces)

* Middle Hanger (4 pieces)

* Leaf Spring (6 pieces)

* Axle Seating (6 pieces)

* Top plate (6 pieces)

* Fixed Arm (3 pieces)

* Adjustable arm (3 pieces)

* U-Bolt (12 pieces)

* U-Bolt guide (6 pieces)

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 9:27am On Jan 06, 2021
1) Axles

Depending on how you want it, you can go for a 12 Ton, 14 Ton, or 16 Ton axle

Remember you'll need three of it...I mean "three of the same ton"

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 11:06am On Jan 06, 2021
2) Front Hanger

You'll need 2 pieces; one for each side. It's usually placed in the front...The side that is facing the trailer head or tractor

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 11:10am On Jan 06, 2021
2) Back (Rear) Hanger

It's usually placed in at the back of the trailer. You'll need 2 pieces, as usual; one for each side. It's usually shorter than the Front hanger.

The Front and back hangers usually carry the end of the spring

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 11:46am On Jan 06, 2021
3) Middle Hanger

This is usually 4 pieces; two on each side. It also has a left and right side. This means that there would be Two left sides, and Two right sides

It also carries the spring too

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 11:51am On Jan 06, 2021
4) Leaf Spring

They are usually 6 pieces needed; Three on each side

They have different measurements and they go together with that of the kit

A 3 inch spring should go for a 3 inch kit...

Also, they can be 9 leaf, 10 leaf, 12 leaf springs, depending on the requirement

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 12:04pm On Jan 06, 2021
5) Axle seating

Usually 6 pieces; two for each axle. It's usually under the axle

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 12:16pm On Jan 06, 2021
6) Top plate

It's usually on top of the axle. 6 pieces is needed too

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 12:24pm On Jan 06, 2021
7) Fixed Arm

Usually, three pieces are needed. Two long arms, and one short one.

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 12:48pm On Jan 06, 2021
8 ) Adjustable Arm

Same for the Fixed Arm

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 12:56pm On Jan 06, 2021
U bolt

You need 12 pieces for the assembly

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 1:10pm On Jan 06, 2021
U bolt guide

It has to be 6 pieces too

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 1:15pm On Jan 06, 2021
So, these are what comprises of a Tri Axle Suspension kit.

Till then

Bye grin

1 Like

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by bishopkay: 7:28pm On Jan 13, 2021
Nice work buddy. I just learned something new. I take it you construct these?
Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 10:56am On Jan 24, 2021
bishopkay:
Nice work buddy. I just learned something new. I take it you construct these?

I don't construct these, although I know people who do

I only sell the parts...and as expected, you have to know what you sell grin
Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by whogatti: 4:27pm On Jan 26, 2021
I've been seeing a quad axle lately..can you explain that a lil.
Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 7:01pm On Jan 26, 2021
whogatti:
I've been seeing a quad axle lately..can you explain that a lil.

Quad axles actually exist, but I didn't want to talk about that because it's not really common with us here in Nigeria.

You'll mostly find such trucks in Benin Republic and the West coast. They use four axles because of the kind of load the truck carries (very very heavy) grin

The same calculations can be done for it, but I'll strongly advise that the Suspension kit should be a 4 inch suspension kit (the one I used as the example

The picture below is what it looks like, although the suspension in the picture is an Air Type suspension ( We usually call them back "Balloon" grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by pacino26(m): 1:39pm On Jan 28, 2021
Finally a thread for truckers. Will need to overhaul a low bed axles soon. Will hook you up. Currently it's double axle on 10R15.

Nice one
Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 8:09pm On Jan 29, 2021
pacino26:
Finally a thread for truckers. Will need to overhaul a low bed axles soon. Will hook you up. Currently it's double axle on 10R15.

Nice one

We would be glad to provide the necessary suspension you'll need. cheesy

What type of suspension do you want to fix in it?
Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Fixed: 10:18am On Jan 30, 2021
Do you sell double axle with tandem? I want to swap it for my two rear axles carrying balloon suspensions.
Re: Parts Of A Tri-axle Suspension System For Trailers by Teedautoparts: 5:49pm On Jan 30, 2021
Fixed:
Do you sell double axle with tandem? I want to swap it for my two rear axles carrying balloon suspensions.

Yes, we have the Double Axle Suspension. I'm sure you meant something like this

(1) (Reply)

Why The FRSC Speed Limiters Will Not Work. / My Toyota Camry 1993 Will Not Select Gear 3 And 4 / Toyota Camry 1999 Modern Issues Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.