Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,706 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising (42043 Views)

How To Unblock And Link Your NIN To Your MTN, Glo, Airtel And 9mobile Number / FG Urges Citizens To Link NIN To SIM Without Delay / What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by Bossman(m): 4:43pm On Jan 06, 2021
A lot of people, myself included, are going to run into these name issues. During the early days of sim registration a lot of people used short first names, because they did not require any official ID back then. Same thing with BVN. However most people have their full names on official documents, such as passports, birth certs., etc. So if NIMC/Telcos are trying to match on firsname, a lot will fail! Normally most modern software systems should match on a combination of DOB and Lastname. Then if multiple are found that match, it can be narrowed down by adding firstname and a variation of firstname, such as Segun, Olusegun, Oluwasegun. Going this route should 'uniquely' identify someone and eliminate most of these problems. The NIMC system is just not written well in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by arabmoney14: 4:44pm On Jan 06, 2021
abdulskulboy:
Its clear that they didn't reason for a pros and cons before going on with this idea. Those GSM network companies re not fools. 50% of Nigerians will get their sim blocked including me that bought my MTN sim card and registered it personally with my name, all to login to MyMTNAPP to see different name...
Same with me oo. Is yours slightly different or they are entirely different names
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by jchioma: 4:44pm On Jan 06, 2021
Mutemenot:
FG 'll still abandon this project .it may surprise you that some bank account are yet to be linked to BVN cheesy

Lol. Are you serious? Naija matter don tire everybody, including the so-called zombies.
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by jchioma: 4:46pm On Jan 06, 2021
emmyN:
Do not waste your time generating questions, you won't find answers. It's obvious this NIN-NIMC policy wasn't carefully thought out by the government.

And shame will not let them back down. grin

1 Like

Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by wiloy2k8(m): 4:48pm On Jan 06, 2021
My problem is *346# is not working again .
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by GerraMeh74(m): 4:49pm On Jan 06, 2021
vivaciousvivi:

Why bother?
Instead of renewal, just do a completely new drivers license. Worse case you can move names around - surname first or last, add middle names etc
You don't get it's only the date of birth on the driver's license that is not correct, I used NIN in processing my international passport, all names spelling and arrangement is correct, but when I put in for driver's license they will say nothing matches including gender.
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jan 06, 2021
So they will finally block my sim card embarassed cry
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by Harriddon(m): 4:50pm On Jan 06, 2021
A foreigner residing in Nigeria how is he going to obtain nin number. Someone should pls help and answer this question
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by Benwallt(m): 4:52pm On Jan 06, 2021
My NIN was issued in 2013 but I have lost the mumber I was using then. When I tried to link the number I am using now I have was shown the old number, when I clicked on new number I was prompted to go to their office to get it verified..
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by Loveknitting: 4:59pm On Jan 06, 2021
Nielbaba:
I have the nimc plastic card ,expired In June last year , the document number start with 9 while the one I retrieved from network provider starts with 1.i checked out the bin/nimc app , after confirming all my details , I saw another person's passport photograph showing on my details oo ��

Hahaha
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by tarantino1: 5:02pm On Jan 06, 2021
Bossman:
A lot of people, myself included, are going to run into these name issues. During the early days of sim registration a lot of people used short first names, because they did not require any official ID back then. Same thing with BVN. However most people have their full names on official documents, such as passports, birth certs., etc. So if NIMC/Telcos are trying to match on firsname, a lot will fail! Normally most modern software systems should match on a combination of DOB and Lastname. Then if multiple are found that match, it can be narrowed down by adding firstname and a variation of firstname, such as Segun, Olusegun, Oluwasegun. Going this route should 'uniquely' identify someone and eliminate most of these problems. The NIMC system is just not written well in my opinion.

I've been using my sim card for 10 years now. I was less than 18 at the time and the stupid idiots at mtn office told me they couldn't do it for me at my age. I used a very close neighborhood friend back then who was older to help me do it.

How person like me wan run this kind matter?
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by Bimpe29: 5:03pm On Jan 06, 2021
That explains how passive and inadequate we are as a nation.

We almost all the time get good things done wrongly.

We are always not fully prepared.

It's always been fire brigade approach.

However, there's still hope and room for improvement.
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by SirLakes: 5:04pm On Jan 06, 2021
abdulskulboy:
Its clear that they didn't reason for a pros and cons before going on with this idea. Those GSM network companies re not fools. 50% of Nigerians will get their sim blocked including me that bought my MTN sim card and registered it personally with my name, all to login to MyMTNAPP to see different name...
I'm in this group chat oo, my Sim is over 13 years sef. Something I bought new before sim registration started, registered when they said people should register. Na another person name dey on it entirely

They are very mad

1 Like

Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by odonkoro: 5:04pm On Jan 06, 2021
I have been waiting for an opportunity like this to lay my compliant. The date of birth computed in my data and send to CBN form the bank I registered for BVN contains an error. Instead of 1956, 1936 was erroneously computed by the bank clerk assigned to do the job.This error was discovered when I went to register for my NIN at Immigration passport office, Alagbon, Ikoyi - Lagos.
My problem now is that I am asked to pay the sum of fifteen thousand, five hundred naira (15,500) or more by NIMC officials before the error could be corrected for the error not committed by me. I have other recognizable identity cards like Voters card and the old National ID and other documents that bears my correct date of birth. More so, I have open all my bank accounts before the commencement of the BVN registration, and there are no varies in the details contained therein.
Are the NIMC officials deliberately using the errors to exhort money from people?
I want this forum to investigate and provide clearance so as to safe me and others facing the same predicament, please.

1 Like

Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by SirLakes: 5:09pm On Jan 06, 2021
Didi2d:

The same issue with me, glo recycled my number and sold to another.
The funny thing, that number has been my whatshapp number all the while. So while I use it for WhatsApp, some else uses it for calls

This is my ever first line, got 2002 and it's to my Bvn and nin
Lol grin
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by Abdulyakeen: 5:10pm On Jan 06, 2021
naijadrivablog:
One of the latest policies is to add (or harmonise) National Identity Number to our SIM card registrations. First, they gave an unrealistic deadline but extended it to March 2021.

While this is good to curb insecurity and/or check crime and other things, the exercise is already raising more questions than answers are provided, which are:

1. What happens to Mr Ade Nwosu Hassan whose full name reflected on his NIN but whose SIM card was registered with Ade Nwosu? My neighbor is in this group of persons. He went to his network provider and he was asked to go back to NIMC to remove any name that is not in his SIM registration.

Shouldn't it it be a case where since there is no error or incomplete name of the subscriber from NIN, the network providers, who seem to be clueless as to what to do, add the full name of the subscriber to his registration (an update), since his biometrics and picture can be verified?

2. SIM cards registered in Company lines. My friend has a business where they use CUG lines so as to make cheap calls and other benefits that comes with it. He has over 30 staff and each CUG line is registered to his company and not the staff. What happens since Companies don't have NIN, let alone several NIN to register all the lines registered to it? Will those lines go dormant?

3. What happens to those whose NIN registrations has one error or another? For Example, I know someone whose name is "Adejoh Yusuf" but was mispelt as "Adejh Yusuf" You know that his NIN can't be verified as there would be discrepancies.

As at today, the Telecom companies have no clear cut information as to how to resolve some issues related to linking NIN to SIM cards yet. They keep redirecting people to NIMC, even when there may be no need. Remember that NIMC and other authorised bodies would be under immense pressure this period. And the newly created NIMC app my not resolve some issues like error correction etc. I even know someone whose NIN number on his NIN slip doesn't work but when he dials a code to get it from NIMC, another (correct) code pops up.

Thank goodness an app was launched by FG but some issues need one to be physically present at NIMC to resolve.

What is your challenge so far?

What will happen to foreigners who have nigerian sim cards but no NIN ?

How secured is the whole process?

Hope out data won't be sold by the government to organisation without our approval?

When there is a breach who should be held NIN or Network providers?
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by Ajascolove(m): 5:10pm On Jan 06, 2021
The5DME:
My own wahala be say the number I used in registering for my nin has been misplaced and the Sim I'm using currently is registered in my sister's name. My wahala plenty like.......... How I wan take link am sef? I jus weak.
The sim belongs to your sister. She owns it. So let her link the sim with her NIN. If you commit any offence or atrocities with the sim, your sister will be responsible as the owner of the sim.
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by donMIG(m): 5:14pm On Jan 06, 2021
This tin as a whole is rubbish... The country we call nigeria is not ready for it!
Who came up with this useless piece of shit advice jor?
Even wen I see the good sides of it all... For me the down sides outweighs it all

Sometin I did since 2014 I haven't been issued the ID card yet n now they r shouting up and down the we should link the nonsense....

NIMC n all who have a problem with wat I said... Should lick me where I shit!!!
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by BigGuava: 5:16pm On Jan 06, 2021
.... You can work from home as an article writer and a Million Naira while at it

To find out how you can participate in this offer,send a message to the WhatsApp contact on the profile.

This offer is open to both NEW and SEASONED content writer. Do not delay in sending in your application today...

Remember it's write articles from home and earn One Million Naira doing this.........!

Thanks for reading
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by imagrg(m): 5:21pm On Jan 06, 2021
It is meant to curb insecurity and cyber fraud.

I know some cyber criminals may not like this.
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by Lisaint(m): 5:28pm On Jan 06, 2021
Matters arising

On this nin

If they start selling new sim now!

I’m hearing you will need nin to register

If that’s true
Then it’s a very stupid policy!

Like how did you expect me to drop my NIN with those guys registering sim!

Even those at the network office!

We know nigerians can be so manipulative
If i give you my NIN now

I fit commot for your office/stand now!
Make you use my NIN register Criminal Number!

And I won’t know because we can’t view the numbers registered under my NIN!

Let’s FG address this also

Let their be a portal where we can see numbers registered under our NIN

And there should be an option to delete anyone we ain’t familiar with!

Without nin no sim should work
So if anyone delete any fake number on is nin
The number should stop working immediately

That’s how to fight crime
Also voters card should be linked to NIN

1 Like

Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by Simpubozz(m): 5:30pm On Jan 06, 2021
Etizz:
What if I have not register my sim but when I checked by dialing the code given, NIN number popped out....can I use that one?
yes you can use it

1 Like

Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by christopheojo(m): 5:33pm On Jan 06, 2021
Receive Tron for free

Receive this airdrop before 10th January � BITGO TRX COMPANY

�️ BitGo Company Giveaway first ever public Launch

� Refer to the BitGo Company Giveaway Bot and earn free TRX.

�Earn 230TRX every successful Invites�

Your Referral link�

https:///BitGoTronGivewaybot?start=r0235302237

• Minimum Referral 3 Users
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by BigGuava: 5:33pm On Jan 06, 2021
.... You can work from home as an article writer and a Million Naira while at it

To find out how you can participate in this offer,send a message to the WhatsApp contact on the profile.

This offer is open to both NEW and SEASONED content writer. Do not delay in sending in your application today...

Remember it's write articles from home and earn One Million Naira doing this.........!

Thanks for reading
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by BigGuava: 5:33pm On Jan 06, 2021

This offer is open to both NEW and SEASONED content writer. Do not delay in sending in your application today......

Thanks for reading
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by evans4luv: 5:34pm On Jan 06, 2021
the answer is simple, to save yourself the stress, just get a new sim card and register it with the name on ur NIN shekena
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by mfm04622: 5:35pm On Jan 06, 2021
naijadrivablog:
One of the latest policies is to add (or harmonise) National Identity Number to our SIM card registrations. First, they gave an unrealistic deadline but extended it to March 2021.

While this is good to curb insecurity and/or check crime and other things, the exercise is already raising more questions than answers are provided, which are:

1. What happens to Mr Ade Nwosu Hassan whose full name reflected on his NIN but whose SIM card was registered with Ade Nwosu? My neighbor is in this group of persons. He went to his network provider and he was asked to go back to NIMC to remove any name that is not in his SIM registration.

Shouldn't it it be a case where since there is no error or incomplete name of the subscriber from NIN, the network providers, who seem to be clueless as to what to do, add the full name of the subscriber to his registration (an update), since his biometrics and picture can be verified?

2. SIM cards registered in Company lines. My friend has a business where they use CUG lines so as to make cheap calls and other benefits that comes with it. He has over 30 staff and each CUG line is registered to his company and not the staff. What happens since Companies don't have NIN, let alone several NIN to register all the lines registered to it? Will those lines go dormant?

3. What happens to those whose NIN registrations has one error or another? For Example, I know someone whose name is "Adejoh Yusuf" but was mispelt as "Adejh Yusuf" You know that his NIN can't be verified as there would be discrepancies.

As at today, the Telecom companies have no clear cut information as to how to resolve some issues related to linking NIN to SIM cards yet. They keep redirecting people to NIMC, even when there may be no need. Remember that NIMC and other authorised bodies would be under immense pressure this period. And the newly created NIMC app my not resolve some issues like error correction etc. I even know someone whose NIN number on his NIN slip doesn't work but when he dials a code to get it from NIMC, another (correct) code pops up.

Thank goodness an app was launched by FG but some issues need one to be physically present at NIMC to resolve.

What is your challenge so far?

For the full name, missing middle name, the person is responsible. Everybody should decide on the names to use in official document and always write that name.
For mistakes, the person should go for corrections at NIMC.
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by philip0906(m): 5:37pm On Jan 06, 2021
blinking001:
Just do your registration and stop asking questions.
Lmao...Typical zombie line
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by BigGuava: 5:41pm On Jan 06, 2021

This offer is open to both NEW and SEASONED content writer. Do not delay in sending in your application today. ..

Remember it's write articles from home and earn One Million Naira doing this.... .....!

Thanks for reading
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by oforjide: 5:50pm On Jan 06, 2021
Mine was date of birth they used 1900 as the year of birth and my gender instead of M they used F I have gone to the bank where I registered my BVN and the mistake has been corrected but this useless NIMC people are demanding 50 thousand naira from me or I go to Abuja for them to correct the mistake
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by MarioKizito1(m): 5:59pm On Jan 06, 2021
they are simply trying to reduce the amount of nigerians using d internet. They are afraid of anoda endsars like uprising. Since they have failed in regulating social media. Ndi ara everywhere!
Re: Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising by hotplate: 6:17pm On Jan 06, 2021
what about my late dad sim which he used to activate his bank how can i now get access to those funds if his sim is eventually blocked?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Who Remembers This Phone? Amazing! / Nokia Set To Release Nokia C9. checkout the proposed specs / Android Vs Windows Phone Vs Ios - Home Screen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.