Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,716 members, 7,802,162 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. (2706 Views)

A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland / Iwa Akwa (wearing Cloth Ceremony ) / About Iwa Akwa Festival (Igbo Initiation Into Manhood) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by Kriss216: 8:06pm On Jan 06, 2021
In Igboland, Iwa Akwa, also known as 'cloth wearing', is an age-long tradition that symbolises an initiation into manhood. It is a ceremony that entails the passage of a young boy transforming into a fullfledged man.

I witnessed my good friend’s Iwa Akwa ceremony at Obowo LGA in Imo State.

The event started yesterday 5th of January.

Fulaman198
Bigfrancis21
Odumchi
Lalasticlala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by Kriss216: 8:06pm On Jan 06, 2021
Morning

As the tradition demands, The participants will wait for their seniors at home to come and help them Tie the Clothes. Each participant will give the seniors N3500 before they Tie the Clothes.

Waiting for the seniors to arrive.

1 Like

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by Kriss216: 8:06pm On Jan 06, 2021
They're here.

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by Kriss216: 8:07pm On Jan 06, 2021
Obi is truly now a man. He can dine with Kings and Chiefs.

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by Kriss216: 8:07pm On Jan 06, 2021
From the house, they parade to Ekeala. All the participants will move with their family and friends.

Note: In a situation where the celebrant is not at home, any member of his family can represent him by carrying his portrait.

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by Kriss216: 8:08pm On Jan 06, 2021
Was colourful.

Nairaland should have a platform where one can upload videos direct.

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by Kriss216: 8:17pm On Jan 06, 2021
Prince2pac
Mariahangel
Pocohantas
99thEnemy

Please pardon me for taking time to upload the photos, the phone I took the photos was down and I'm out of town since.

1 Like

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by 99thEnemy(m): 8:21pm On Jan 06, 2021
How Old is the Nigga?

1 Like

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by pocohantas(f): 8:48pm On Jan 06, 2021
99thEnemy:
How Old is the Nigga?

All the ones I have seen, who did the same time with their set were all in their very early 30s.
Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by Niyeal(m): 8:53pm On Jan 06, 2021
Space Booker
Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by Kriss216: 9:03pm On Jan 06, 2021
pocohantas:

All the ones I have seen, who did the same time with their set were all in their early 30s.
Yeah, In Obowo the average age is 28-31, not same with Ihitte uboma. The average age in Ihitte uboma is 36-39.

cc: 99thEnemy

2 Likes

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by pocohantas(f): 9:06pm On Jan 06, 2021
Kriss216:

Yeah, In Obowo the average age is 28-31, not same with Ihitte uboma. The average age in Ihitte uboma is 36-39.

Chineke! Evening newspapers! shocked shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by izzou(m): 9:40pm On Jan 06, 2021
pocohantas:

grin grin grin grin

Have sense this year, abeg grin

1 Like

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by Pavore9: 4:14am On Jan 07, 2021
Kriss216:

Yeah, Obowo and Ehime Mbano (Nsu) do theirs at a younger age (31 and below) but Ihitte uboma sandwiched between them do theirs at 36-39 but some are trying to cut it back by having it every 2 years instead of the 3 years so that in 10 years, 5 age grades would have theirs instead of 3 and expand the range of years of those who makes up an age grade because in the 60s they were in their mid 20s when they did it and started increasing, around 1985 it jumped to 30-31 and from 1997 they entered 33-34..........na so dem finally hit the 36-39 mark! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by mariahAngel(f): 4:15pm On Jan 09, 2021
Kriss216:
Morning

As the tradition demands, The participants will wait for their seniors at home to come and help them Tie the Clothes. Each participant will give the seniors N3500 before they Tie the Clothes.

Waiting for the seniors to arrive.

Is that you?

So, you're from Imo state...
Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by mariahAngel(f): 4:17pm On Jan 09, 2021
pocohantas:

I hukwa gi ehn... grin

1 Like

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by prince2pac(m): 10:44pm On Jan 09, 2021
Kriss ke'ebe igaziri, bia mechapu ihe imalitere...
would have loved to be there ooo, but my pocket be laughing at me..
Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by beautyhd: 6:47pm On Jun 22, 2021
Op, you didn't update on the 2nd day where they put on suits abi obowo's Iwe akwa is just one day.

It's been awhile I witnessed iwe akwa ceremony.

Sometimes in a family you will see three or four celebrating with life band and as kids then we were always excited.

It means plenty food to Chow.

3 Likes

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by Kriss216: 9:25pm On Jun 22, 2021
beautyhd:
Op, you didn't update on the 2nd day where they put on suits abi obowo's Iwe akwa is just one day.

It's been awhile I witnessed iwe akwa ceremony.

Sometimes in a family you will see three or four celebrating with life band and as kids then we were always excited.

It means plenty food to Chow.

Plenty food no be small. Buhari economy no reach Iwa Akwa ceremony.

2 Likes

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by heniford2: 7:03pm On Dec 20, 2021
Great culture grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. by kechywillz(m): 9:19am On May 04, 2022
Are from which side of obowo

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Name "Adetomiwa" Mean? / Snake Arms And Crystal Legs: The Art Of Prosthetics / BREAKING NEWS: New Emir Of Borgu Kingdom Has Emerged

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.