Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer (27167 Views)

Reasons To Start A Private School Business In Nigeria / CONTRACT OFFER FOR Real Estate Writer / Career Openings At Society For Family Health (SFH) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by teadrake(m): 11:51am On Jan 07, 2021
Nisot7:
Are you sure?
Thanks anyways
Absolutely bro. I know what I'm saying. To elucidate more, SFH job is all about experience. I am sure within that 6month duration, you must have garner sufficient experience which will facilitate you getting another job with them. That's how it works

1 Like

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by ViktorOG: 11:51am On Jan 07, 2021
I'm an accountant but with your question, you sounds really different. You need to study your FM more. Why will you ever think of quiting a permanent role for a (6) contract role?
You should be looking for another permanent role elsewhere and not considering quiting to take up a 6month job.

1 Like

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by brownemmanuel43(m): 11:53am On Jan 07, 2021
Well, the current Nigeria we are now, I will only suggest u remain with the current job. Had it been this is Nigeria of years back I would HV suggested u switch to SFH but na mehnnnnn Nigeria of this useless President Buhari I just doubt.
Then, it depends on the condition of your current job bcs I know most of this private owned business is something else, if u are slightly comfortable with the system of the current job baba better continue with them. Bcs their is no guarantee that if u take the SFH after the duration of the project that u will get another one immediately unless u HV a side hustle.
Baba things no dey normal again ohhhhhh for this our obodo Nigeria.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by teadrake(m): 11:54am On Jan 07, 2021
Hotbutt:
Please how can someone get work at Society for Family Health (NGO)?
Subscribe to simplicat platform. Via that platform, you'll get advert and then you can put forward an application.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Goodzinny: 11:55am On Jan 07, 2021
What is 6 months contract compared to a more stable job. My dear, better stick to your 70k job than 125k 6 month-contract. After the 6 months what next? Be wise bro.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by teadrake(m): 11:56am On Jan 07, 2021
ViktorOG:
I'm an accountant but with your question, you sounds really different. You need to study your FM more. Why will you ever think of quiting a permanent role for a (6) contract role?
You should be looking for another permanent role elsewhere and not considering quiting to take up a 6month job.
Respectfully bro, I thought its all about experience and growth. SFH will offer him/her that. School teacher on the hand will not. Anyways, he should make his decision
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Sunshine34(m): 11:58am On Jan 07, 2021
LoydJ:
My problem with Nairaland is that Most of you would know the answer to what you are looking for but you are waiting for other people opinion to validate ur question which doesn't really count @all.

If u have no good advice them keep quiet.
there is no crime in seeking for advice. it is your Ego that makes u think u need nobody advice and hence u fall like epilepsy.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Evidenx(m): 11:59am On Jan 07, 2021
70k every month looks small but.. You will keep Getting it till u resign by yourself.

125k looks big, but u will only get it for 6 six months.

And by d time u chop d money finish you go come dey find work again.

Guy sit-down with ur 70k work.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Efeosa5(f): 12:01pm On Jan 07, 2021
Nisot7:
Anybody?

Please, when u finally decide to take the 125k job. Do quote me , so I can apply for ya present job. I'm also an accountant, thank you. But if it's not in Abuja , nevermind.

Also, take the 125k not because of what's above but u ought to keep growing your career path inorder to have knowledge of every sector.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by GforGee: 12:07pm On Jan 07, 2021
The answer is simple. You applied for the NGO job because you wanted an out from the school job. Now you have it.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Kaplan01: 12:09pm On Jan 07, 2021
Dont even think twice pls, infact I will resign my job to take up 3months internship with SFH and yours is even an assistant position.

1 Like

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Lovinghauwa: 12:10pm On Jan 07, 2021
If you are trying to build a career go for the SFH job, the experience is important if you would like to continue with NGOs, their pay is quite encouraging.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by ugofulfilled(m): 12:12pm On Jan 07, 2021
I just want to lend a voice in addition to what other well meaning people have advised. Everyone who has advised you, has done so either from the position of fear, uncertainty and or experience. now my counsel is: Go to God and ask of Him. You can never go wrong asking him and going by His instructions. Thank you and God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by chinchonglee(m): 12:13pm On Jan 07, 2021
RapistOnBail:
Build your own company
with ur balls?

2 Likes

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Oluwatoobig: 12:14pm On Jan 07, 2021
Hello, I get this question a lot and I'd give you my honest reply.

First, you have to decide if what you are doing is related to your career growth. A lot of people have a job but only a few have a career they are pursuing.

If it's related to your career growth, then I'd suggest you stick with your current job so you can get the experience that will position you better for a greater offer.

I can fire you from your job but I can never fire you from your career.

I hope this answers your question.

Nisot7:
A very lovely Thursday to you all.

I was recently given a 6 months contract by SFH to work as a finance assistant of a project with a salary of N125,000 per month (subject to 5% withholding tax) and I currently work as an accountant for a private school which salary is N70,000 per month.

Is it advisable that I leave my current work of N70,000 per month and go for the contract offer with SFH or I should just reject the contract offer and continue with my present place of work?

Plz anyone?

1 Like

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Hotbutt(f): 12:15pm On Jan 07, 2021
idu1:
Have worked in any NGO before?

No
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Hotbutt(f): 12:16pm On Jan 07, 2021
teadrake:

Subscribe to simplicat platform. Via that platform, you'll get advert and then you can put forward an application.

Thanks.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by joyousever(f): 12:16pm On Jan 07, 2021
Nice and calm counsel.
RisenPhoenix1:
It's a common dilemma; high income, low security or low income, high security?

The answer depends on your age, your past experience, the number of dependants, how aggressive you are in searching for new jobs and how well you are connected; and very importantly, what your own risk appetite is. Someone with a high risk appetite will go for the high paying job and use the higher savings to establish an alternative source of income for when the contract is terminated. Someone with a lower risk appetite will prefer to stay put where he is and take low pay in exchange for peace of mind knowing that he will be able to bring home the bacon for the next few months at least.

Those are the options and the factors. I know that this is not what you want (you probably want us to tick A or B for you), but nobody knows tomorrow, just like you. And no one knows your situation better than yourself. Sit down and think about it very well and form your own life decisions. This is too important to bring to a vote on NL.

Good luck.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by nnamdi640: 12:20pm On Jan 07, 2021
DontBullshitMe:
Reject the two jobs and become a pastor.
Brother mi take it easy. Remember that not all of us have the calling of becoming a pastor.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by LoydJ(m): 12:20pm On Jan 07, 2021
Sunshine34:

If u have no good advice them keep quiet.
there is no crime in seeking for advice. it is your Ego that makes u think u need nobody advice and hence u fall like epilepsy.

My post was harmless nd wasn't referring to ur dumbass
GTF outta here.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Wande22(m): 12:21pm On Jan 07, 2021
Eddee:

Okay first and foremost, do you deduct and remit your income tax (PAYE) from the school you currently work for to the SIRS? If yes, then your net salary is roughly #66,673.33.

Your take home pay from SFH will be #115,500 and tax burden only #9,500 since you made no mention of Pension, NHF, NHIS, Life Assurance, Gratuity which could all act as relief in reducing your monthly tax burden. The difference in pay should easily cover 4-5 months of been out of a job if things go south with SFH.

Secondly, Short-term NGO contracts are tricky, anything 3-6 months means you’re obviously covering for someone on leave or they are looking to fill an urgent gap. Good thing is, this is January and contracts in my experience are usually for 12 months, so if you have a plug at Society for Family Health - you can put the question to the SFAO who you’d report to in the end anyway, ask him/her the project’s duration - this will give you an idea of contract renewal after the initial 6 months (your performance with regards to financial reporting and filing and documenting retirements will be key here).

Meanwhile, I personally love new challenges, so I’ll advise you to jump ship immediately grin of course, within the school policy’s notice period for resignation or termination. Refer to your letter of engagement or contract (usually 2-4 weeks or refund of the equivalent of 1 month salary).

Not for Profit accounting, will help your career growth in ways you can only imagine - there are loads of trainings, conferences to ensure your understanding of GAAP is top notch. So brush up on your Accounting for NGOs - basically just Income and Expenditure. Taxation is usually just income tax and WHT since NGOs are exempted from VAT. Your SFAO will put you on procurements immediately because that’s the core of what SFH does.

Finally, my guy, if you’re willing to stick your neck out, take the plunge and I’d always be here to walk you through any challenge you may face along this new journey.

Cheers

As a former Account Staff in NGO, I would advice you stay with the school
You can only "jump ship" if you are assured of continuity
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by heybeebugatty(m): 12:22pm On Jan 07, 2021
My brother... kindly take the job.. This is an NGO job?..
The sector is booming now and the grow rate is very high...
Talking from experience
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Bolinjoe: 12:23pm On Jan 07, 2021
With the covid issues going on..I think anything health is a good career to follow in. You could always get a school job, but it might not be as the 70k,..SO, give it a trial...
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by darrey12: 12:25pm On Jan 07, 2021
Chosen between both options is good but I will advice you to seek for a spiritual help. You can do this on your own or better still consult a trueman of God. Since no one can see the future except God himself.

1 Like

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by stupidmod2: 12:28pm On Jan 07, 2021
a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by femi4: 12:33pm On Jan 07, 2021
Nisot7:

I was recently given a 6 months contract by SFH to work as a finance assistant of a project with a salary of N125,000 per month (subject to 5% withholding tax) and I currently work as an accountant for a private school which salary is N70,000 per month.

Is it advisable that I leave my current work of N70,000 per month and go for the contract offer with SFH or I should just reject the contract offer and continue with my present place of work?

Plz anyone?
6*125 = 750k contract terminated

70*12= 840k plus job security

Your choice is obvious
Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by sojfarm: 12:34pm On Jan 07, 2021
What is your personal plan for the next 6, 12 months

With my experience, contract offers are hardly renewed. If SFH would not renew your offer (though about 70% more than your current salary), I will suggest you continue with your 70k which comes without contractual terminal end, Except you want to use the contract offer to raise some to start a sustainable busness/trade.

1 Like

Re: Private School Vs SFH Contract Offer by Timijo(m): 12:45pm On Jan 07, 2021
Nisot7:

Plz anyone?
Permit me to ask you these few questions.
1. Are you married?
2. Are you putting food on anyone's table with your current salary or feeding only your mouth?
3. Is your spouse working?
If the answers to my questions is yes, you need to plan well before you resign from your current job of 70k. Yes, I will advise you to go for the 125k job not because of the money alone but the professional goodies that come along side. These include CPD, gaining new experience, meeting new people and connecting with them, likely promotion and salary increment thereafter.
Again, if the answers to my questions is NO, I will still advise you to resign and grab the offer with both hands. While working in the new environment, establish a good relationship with people there and be diligent in your service and in everything you do. Don't eat with your ten fingers, remember that money has wings.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Must Men Demand To Sleep With Female Marketers Before Buying AD Space? / Margaret Aina Oguntala Becomes Society Of Engineers First Female President / 190 Policemen Abscond From Counter-insurgency Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.