Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,946 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened (78007 Views)

Kenyan Man Returns Empty-Handed 42 Years After He Left Home For Greener Pastures / None Of My Fiance's Family Members Likes Me. Please Help / My Fiance Has A Child Out Of Wedlock. But Kept It A Secret From Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by esthel(f): 12:19pm On Jan 07, 2021
Well at first you said you saw it as nothing when she told you, that's what it should have been,you shouldn't have allowed her convince you further it was wrong. You need to apologise to him, whether he accepts or not is now left to him.

38 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Freemasonry: 12:27pm On Jan 07, 2021
Trayceey:
not really. The first time he came to see her, which has been a while now, he didn't come empty handed
You see!
He’s not really as stingy as you make it seem.
He probably didn’t think bringing stuff for your mom was a lifelong ritual.
Please lose this mentality and get your man back.

104 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by stupidmod2: 12:39pm On Jan 07, 2021
Freemasonry:

You see!
He’s not really as stingy as you make it seem.
He probably didn’t think bringing stuff for your mom was a lifelong ritual.
Please lose this mentality and get your mom back.
her mom or man

3 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by mogbolade43693: 12:50pm On Jan 07, 2021
Dis is the problem,with many relationships in nigeria..ur mum was expecting him to come with big bread,milo and milk.ur mum acted wrongly.dis is just a boyfriend and not ur husband.

16 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 2:09pm On Jan 07, 2021
How come nobody understands the principle of giving gifts and the honour that comes with it?
It is not about what you give, it is the thought that counts.
If the young man had brought something as simple as fruits and the woman complained, then she would've been wrong.

It has nothing to do with poverty. Only someone with poverty mentality would think expecting gift(s) from someone is out of place, and only someone with inferiority complex would think it is a thing of shame to except gift from a certain someone.

"A man's gift makes room for him, and brings him before great men"

Giving gifts will make way for you in the presence of Kings and great men.

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Freemasonry: 2:11pm On Jan 07, 2021
stupidmod2:
her mom or man
Thanks for pointing out the typo.
I have effected the necessary correction.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by ststyreal(f): 2:20pm On Jan 07, 2021
Trayceey:
not really. The first time he came to see her, which has been a while now, he didn't come empty handed
Mbanuuu, aunty Tracey you fail am for here... Since he has come before and with something too, you shouldn't have informed him that your mum is angry about him coming empty handed....
I think he is a nice and free guy who just want to acclamatize with your family.
Go and apologize to him and next time make sure you are around anytime he is coming to see your parents again.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by stupidmod2: 3:39pm On Jan 07, 2021
Freemasonry:

Thanks for pointing out the typo.
I have effected the necessary correction.
ok man
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Biglittlelois(f): 4:46pm On Jan 07, 2021
Trayceey:

Since this isn't the first time, your mum shouldn't have complained, does she expect him to always bring something anytime he comes? That will cause unnecessary see finish na,

And you, you shouldn't have confronted him, you would have been matured about it and pacify your mum, then explain to her that it is not compulsory for him to bring something along every time he goes to see her.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Biglittlelois(f): 4:56pm On Jan 07, 2021
Mariangeles:
How come nobody understands the principle of giving gifts and the honour that comes with it?
It is not about what you give, it is the thought that counts.
If the young man had brought something as simple as fruits and the woman complained, then she would've been wrong.

It has nothing to do with poverty. Only someone with poverty mentality would think expecting gift(s) from someone is out of place, and only someone with inferiority complex would think it is a thing of shame to except gift from a certain someone.

Giving gifts is not and can never be a compulsory act, it has to come from the heart and the availability of it,

The young man here brought a gift the first time he went to see her, if because of that the mother sees it as a normal routine or occurance, it reeks of entitlement mentality and taking undue advantage of another human,

Op's fiance is right to vent out his anger, he is expected to give gifts when and as he sees fit, not out of compulsion, Op should go and apologise to him.

154 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Biglittlelois(f): 5:01pm On Jan 07, 2021
Trayceey:
He didn't bring anything for her and she was the one who offered him her drink.

I cringed when I saw the bolded, is it that your fiance can't eat in your parent's house? Cos I don't understand what you mean by her drink, una nor dey entertain visitors? Smh!!!

233 Likes 13 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by izzou(m): 5:05pm On Jan 07, 2021
I find it funny that you are still defending the irritating attitude your mum displayed

He did not bring any gift (as a boyfriend) and your mum is angry. I wonder what would happen when he marries you

Always apply wisdom, my sister. It's not everything you talk or react to. You could have simply apologized on his behalf and talk to him to apologize to your mum, rather than confront him on why he didn't bring anything.

I just pray you don't ruin a good relationship because of gift

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by bukatyne(f): 5:09pm On Jan 07, 2021
Biglittlelois:

I cringed when I saw the bolded, is it that your fiance can't eat in your parent's house? Cos I don't understand what you mean by her drink, una nor dey entertain visitors? Smh!!!

Ra Ankara ko gba semo cheesy grin

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jan 07, 2021
izzou:
I find it funny that you are still defending the irritating attitude your mum displayed

He did not bring any gift (as a boyfriend) and your mum is angry. I wonder what would happen when he marries you

Always apply wisdom, my sister. It's not everything you talk or react to. You could have simply apologized on his behalf and talk to him to apologize to your mum, rather than confront him on why he didn't bring anything.

I just pray you don't ruin a good relationship because of gift
I'm not defending my mum. You know these mothers always have a hold on us

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Biglittlelois(f): 5:12pm On Jan 07, 2021
bukatyne:

Ra Ankara ko gba semo cheesy grin

Abi o, trade by barter things cheesy

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by izzou(m): 5:17pm On Jan 07, 2021
Trayceey:

Whatever hold you feel she has on you, you are an adult. Learn to discern and apply some wisdom

Your mom was not happy with his actions? Fine.

You could just plead with your boyfriend to apologize to her. It's more respectful than asking him why he didn't bring anything

You have just given him a bad impression about your family, especially your mum.

Don't blame him if he thinks your mum is greedy, or going to be difficult

It would have been averted

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by ceeceeuwa: 5:18pm On Jan 07, 2021
Mariangeles:

We are Africans. Let us be honest with ourselves.

A man going alone to visit his would-be mother in-law empty handed is a red flag. Something to worry about.
What was the purpose of the visit?
Even as a female, it is still wrong to go visit the mother of the man you're going to marry empty handed.
Even #250 bread, the Bobo no fit buy!
Their hate for women on this forum won't make them see reasons.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 5:19pm On Jan 07, 2021
Biglittlelois:

Giving gifts is not and can never be a compulsory act, it has to come from the heart and the availability of it,

The young man here brought a gift the first time he went to see her, if because of that the mother sees it as a normal routine or occurance, it reeks of entitlement mentality and taking undue advantage of another human,

Op's fiance is right to vent out his anger, he is expected to give gifts when and as he sees fit, not out of compulsion, Op should go and apologise to him.

Point out exactly where in my post I implied it was a compulsory act?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by stupidmod2: 5:24pm On Jan 07, 2021
Biglittlelois:

plz leave the girl alone nah once u go know d one their mama dey control, she no even get shame dey write rubbish

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 5:24pm On Jan 07, 2021
ceeceeuwa:

Even #250 bread, the Bobo no fit buy!
Their hate for women on this forum won't make them see reasons.

I don't know about the others, but in my tribe (Igbo), that's how things are done.
You don't go to your in-laws bare handed.
It is not an act to be proud of.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by stupidmod2: 5:27pm On Jan 07, 2021
Mariangeles:

I don't know about the others, but in my tribe (Igbo), that's how things are done.
chewing gum is allowed shey

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by TransAtlanticEx(m): 5:27pm On Jan 07, 2021
Mariangeles:

grin grin
Speak for your clan,we don't do that where I come from and I'm also igbo.
We are not beggars and we like to hold our heads up high,
Giving should only come from the givers own volition and not some silly expectation,
Atleast where I come from.

175 Likes 13 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by ceeceeuwa: 5:28pm On Jan 07, 2021
Trayceey:
I'm not a poor woman u fool. I can feed you and your entire family for ages. This is not about being poor. It's about doing the right thing that culture demands. we are Africans
Don't bother arguing with them. Most of them are still teenagers with opera mini free mb.
At least your mom played her part by hosting your boyfriend. Also, it's possible the guy is not well schooled on how to treat would be inlaws, you owe it to him to educate him in a subtle manner. Your approach to the matter must have put him off.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by izzou(m): 5:29pm On Jan 07, 2021
Mariangeles:

Your clan, nne

The intending in-law must not bring something everytime he visits.

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Biglittlelois(f): 5:31pm On Jan 07, 2021
Mariangeles:

Point out exactly where in my post I implied it was a compulsory act?

So why did you make it seem as if anytime he didn't give gifts it won't bring him before great men or make a way for him as you typed below?

All those times he gave gifts doesn't count? Or he should constantly give his future mother in law in other to be favoured, or cos she wants and says so?

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by GIANTPLUSHUB: 5:31pm On Jan 07, 2021
Trayceey:

Your mum have a hold on you on trying to compulsorily leech on your man? Sorry, you aren't yet matured for a relationship. You need to be enrolled in a pre-relationship class.

79 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 5:33pm On Jan 07, 2021
TransAtlanticEx:
grin grin
Speak for your clan,we don't do that where I come from and I'm also igbo.
We are not beggars and we like to hold our heads up high,
Giving should only come from the givers own volition and not some silly expectation,
Atleast where I come from.

izzou:

Your clan, nne

Let me ask you this question as nwaafo Igbo; can you visit your in-laws empty handed?

Answer honestly...

1 Like

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 5:34pm On Jan 07, 2021
Biglittlelois:

So why did you make it seem as if anytime he didn't give gifts it won't bring him before great men or make a way for him as you typed below?

All those times he gave gifts doesn't count? Or he should constantly give his future mother in law in other to be favoured, or cos she wants and says so?

Don't play smart with me.

If you can't comprehend my words, ignore it.
Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Biglittlelois(f): 5:34pm On Jan 07, 2021
izzou:

Your clan, nne

My point exactly,

Not to sound tribalistic, she must be Igbo, but then, not all behave same way.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jan 07, 2021
They should start teaching courtesy as a course...If anyone visits u,it's expected that they are treated as a guest,then if the guest brings any gift,that's a plus .....Meet him,ride him good and in the process,apologize

46 Likes

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Biglittlelois(f): 5:38pm On Jan 07, 2021
Mariangeles:

Don't play smart with me.

If you can't comprehend my words, ignore it.

And you're trying and failing woefully to be smart by half,

Next time, choose your words carefully if you don't want to be quoted, you do not and cannot control what I do on my phone.

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Fiance Visited My Mother Empty-Handed & Now Our Relationship Is Threatened by Mariangeles(f): 5:40pm On Jan 07, 2021
[s]
Biglittlelois:

And you're trying and failing woefully to be smart by half,

Next time, choose your words carefully if you don't want to be quoted, you do not and cannot control what I do on my phone.
[/s]

Do not patronise me biglittlelois!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (45) (Reply)

My Sister Has Gone Out Of Control / DNA Scandal: "I'm Innocent" - Late Tunde's Wife, Moyo Thomas Breaks Silence / Lady Shares Photo Of Herself And Sister Kissing In A Car, Sparks Outrage On IG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.