Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,608 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:14 PM

First Republican Senator Joins Calls For Trump To Leave Office Early - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / First Republican Senator Joins Calls For Trump To Leave Office Early (220 Views)

What Will Happen If Donald Trump Refuses To Leave Office / Aria DiMezzo: Transgender, Satanist & Anarchist Wins Republican Nomination In US / Impeachment: Democrats Conclude Final Arguments, Call For Trump’s Conviction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Republican Senator Joins Calls For Trump To Leave Office Early by Next2Bezee(m): 11:51pm On Jan 08, 2021
In a scathing rebuke of Trump, Sen. Lisa Murkowski, a moderate from Alaska, became the first GOP senator to call for him to step down before his presidency ends and said Wednesday’s attack on the U.S. Capitol is making her rethink being a Republican.

“I want him to resign. I want him out. He has caused enough damage,” Murkowski told the Anchorage Daily News in an interview.

“I think he should leave. He said he’s not going to show up. He’s not going to appear at the inauguration. He hasn’t been focused on what is going on with covid. He’s either been golfing or he’s been inside the Oval Office fuming and throwing every single person who has been loyal and faithful to him under the bus, starting with the vice president,” she continued. “He doesn’t want to stay there. He only wants to stay there for the title. He only wants to stay there for his ego. He needs to get out. He needs to do the good thing, but I don’t think he’s capable of doing a good thing.”

A critic of Trump’s rhetoric, Murkowski has been faulted for not doing more to stand up to the president. When Trump’s presidency was on the line, she did not vote to hear additional witnesses during the Senate impeachment trial.

Murkowski, who is part of a dwindling faction of moderate Republican lawmakers, said she could consider leaving the Republican Party. In 2010, she won reelection as a write-in candidate running as an independent after losing the GOP primary in the tea party wave year.

“But I will tell you, if the Republican Party has become nothing more than the party of Trump, I sincerely question whether this is the party for me,” she said in the interview.

Republicans can’t threaten Murkowski with a primary when her term ends in 2022. This year, Alaska passed ranked choice voting, in which candidates of any party will run in an open primary and voters will rank them in order of preference.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/08/capitol-biden-trump-live-updates/#link-TAHQQ3ENFVG5POL2FZ3ENO2BLQ

Re: First Republican Senator Joins Calls For Trump To Leave Office Early by recievesense: 1:07am On Jan 09, 2021
lol
Re: First Republican Senator Joins Calls For Trump To Leave Office Early by solmusdesigns: 3:43am On Jan 09, 2021
Trump still has nuclear lunch code , so they better treat him with caution
Re: First Republican Senator Joins Calls For Trump To Leave Office Early by Iamgrey5(m): 9:05am On Jan 09, 2021
I think Ben Sasse also said something similar

(1) (Reply)

In Pictures: Tunisian Troops Quell Unrest With Force / Outrage As Biden Officials Banish National Guardsmen To A DC Parking Lot / WW2: U.S. President Flew To Gambia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.