Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,733 members, 7,806,006 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? (21394 Views)

Wema Records 196 Percent Profit Before Tax In 2023 Financial Report / Zenith Bank Plc Records N47 Billion Profit After Tax In First Quarter / Dangote Sugar Posts N54bn Profit Before Tax In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by alphaconde(m): 2:27pm On Jan 11, 2021
I tut businesses with less than 20m yearly turn over need not pay taxes
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by ModestGal(f): 2:27pm On Jan 11, 2021
G
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by ModestGal(f): 2:27pm On Jan 11, 2021
Okay
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Mrshocker(m): 2:32pm On Jan 11, 2021
Male hair stylist
male or female barber
Nail technician (manicure & Pendicure)
Needed in a new super beauty home in Ibadan Nigeria.
Send your resume to ola5onigltd@gmail.com
WhatsApp = +234 803 875 1643
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Jimoh7555: 2:34pm On Jan 11, 2021
Get a qualified tax practitioner and your headaches will be gone for good. DM me if you need one
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by chloride6: 2:38pm On Jan 11, 2021
ascek:
For a business man who owns a bnx Nig Ltd., Assuming he has a starting capital of 2,000,000 in naira and at the end of the financial year he makes 500,000 in naira after paying salaries for himself and workers and every other things. How much of this 500,000 will government charge as tax and how is it calculated? Thanks as you provide answers

Well according to the newly signed finance act of 2020, assuming you are under the 25 million turnover band, you are tax exempt.

Tax exempt does not mean you not should file your taxes.
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by dfrost: 2:44pm On Jan 11, 2021
famouscargo4u:
r. It may be confusing to you, why not let us prepare this for you at a token.

Explain it to him/her. It doesn't stop him from hiring a professional.

Everything to the black man is shrouded in secrecy.

8 Likes

Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Coldie(m): 2:49pm On Jan 11, 2021
In Nigeria tax is given according to hear say and gossips.

If they look at your business and everywhere looks fine and modern that means u are making so much money there, be sure to receive letters from LGA officials on levy and tax Soon

5 Likes

Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by sojfarm: 2:49pm On Jan 11, 2021
ascek:
For a business man who owns a bnx Nig Ltd., Assuming he has a starting capital of 2,000,000 in naira and at the end of the financial year he makes 500,000 in naira after paying salaries for himself and workers and every other things. How much of this 500,000 will government charge as tax and how is it calculated? Thanks as you provide answers

There are more to accounting and Tax computation than plus and minus.

In Nigeria, all registered entities are Tax collection Agencies for government:

Therefore, BnX Nig Ltd may be expected to pay, deduct and remit on the following taxes:

Payroll taxes
Withholding tax
VAT CIT amongst other: small companies with total revenue less than N25m are exempted from paying CIT. In the case of Bnx Nig Ltd, its revenue information is not here disclosed. You only mentioned N500,000 after deduction of all operating expenses. Hence, it is difficult to conclude if the company/business is exempted from paying CIT.

I can render accounting service to you at a very affordable rate.

There are more from accounting services to business than tax compuation.

You can reach me on 09030299101 for detail consultation and computation
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Adekdammy: 2:51pm On Jan 11, 2021
VAT @ 7.5% on or before 21st of every month
C.IT: Turnover of 25M to 100M attracts 20% based on your accounting year ended but you file nil returns if your turn over is not up to 25M
EDT : 2% of assessable profit.

Other taxes include
PATE and WHT remitted to the state inland revenue

WHT remitted to the federal inland revenue
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by studentofTruth: 2:51pm On Jan 11, 2021
Both lawyers and accountants like confusing people on this Tex. issue
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Olaideolayemi(m): 2:59pm On Jan 11, 2021
To op.. initially, I am'nt an accountant or FIRS employee,but in my own opinion,y don't you find an accountant who knows how tax is calculated,in order to avoid confusion in business management,Or go to nearest FIRS office to gather information about the least amount you can pay for tax, before commencement of business operation..I had from different sources,how taxes is affecting many business entreprises in Nigeria.. gathering enough Information,will give you realistic decision about tax and how to manage in future..Many people here are suggesting, they don't know real fact about, how the tax work..if you fail to do comprehensive research before operation,it may affect you, business and also the future anticipation of the business.. Wishing you Good luck in your finding...

1 Like

Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by vioment: 3:00pm On Jan 11, 2021
Only Nigeria in the world of countries, that doesn't have a clear tax procedure or rules that even the experts know about.

If you go to finance or interior affairs or works or even cbn, nobody knows. You will end up going in circles. No clear business rules of conduct. That is why, anybody can come up to your business and just request you pay this or that without a credible proof of authority.

The sg need to work with fg, and clear the rules on these things, including for international business people in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by iamJ(m): 3:03pm On Jan 11, 2021
how can capital of 2m generate more than 500k profit cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Academicwizman(m): 3:04pm On Jan 11, 2021
ascek:

This your N500,000 profit, I hope you have deducted your own salary as a manager (if you manage the business yourself)? Your salary will serve as your Personal Income on which you are required by the State to pay Personal Income Tax (PIT) and development levy (applying residency rule).
While CIT, VAT is a federal tax, PIT is collected by States in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by iamJ(m): 3:06pm On Jan 11, 2021
meetgaya:

you don't hire auditor but appoint, and there is no specific amount. depends on the size of company and the auditor
absolute authority grin
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by sojfarm: 3:07pm On Jan 11, 2021
alphaconde:
I tut businesses with less than 20m yearly turn over need not pay taxes

Actually, less than N25m annual total revenue (not profit) are exempted from CIT (company income tax). This does not include obligations on other form of taxes including PAYE, VAT, WHT amongst others.
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by donephi(m): 3:08pm On Jan 11, 2021
Trustedpro:
You are only required to pay 7.5% of your net profit when your company turnover 20million naira annually. I think you will be asked to pay a token for your annual audited account if you are not making such turnover.
the 7.5% tax is it the CIT, CGT or VAT. Please explain
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Babalegba(m): 3:11pm On Jan 11, 2021
ascek:
it's calculated haphazardly and unilaterally. You are in a hovel of a country populated by phoney greedy human beings , remember.
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Coronavirus84: 3:14pm On Jan 11, 2021
famouscargo4u:
No, you don't pay any 7.5% on profit, it is paid to your suppliers quoted on the invoice for goods supplied to you. Thereafter, you pay your normal tax for the year which maybr 20 or 30% on profit depending on size of your company. You will also charge Witholding Tax of 5 or 10% from your suppliers which will deducted from your tax payable for the year. It may be confusing to you, why not let us prepare this for you at a token.
VAT in supply is 7.5% , WHT is 5% and Stamp duty is 1%
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by alphaconde(m): 3:20pm On Jan 11, 2021
sojfarm:

Actually, less than N25m annual total revenue (not profit) are exempted from CIT (company income tax). This does not include obligations on other form of taxes including PAYE, VAT, WHT amongst others.

thanks for schooling me joor

God bless u
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by onward4life(m): 3:27pm On Jan 11, 2021
Trustedpro:
You are only required to pay 7.5% of your net profit when your company turnover 20million naira annually. I think you will be asked to pay a token for your annual audited account if you are not making such turnover.

I thought it was 7.5 of profit and or loss?
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Engr1(m): 3:37pm On Jan 11, 2021
Pandev:
Hey, Okada, carry me go la.las.ticl.ala house, this must enter fp and you go carry me back to this thread. How much? cool
grin
Pandev:
Hey, Okada, carry me go la.las.ticl.ala house, this must enter fp and you go carry me back to this thread. How much? cool
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by edoairways: 3:38pm On Jan 11, 2021
ascek:

I'm confused now. So apart from the 7.5% tax on profit, there's a 7.5% on vat and another 20% every 6 months. Really it's complicated and will wonder how much will be left for the owner of the company
7.5% tax on profit, how?
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Deeno1: 3:43pm On Jan 11, 2021
alushkimo:
Since it is a limited liability coy, tax will be assessed on the coy’s profit. The company’s profit will be adjusted by non-deductible expenses for tax purposes and non-taxable income to arrive at taxable income on which CIT is computed. Tax rate now varies based on Coy’s turnover. In this instance, tax will be 0% if he has a turnover of less than 25m.

This is the best contribution thus far.

In addition,two companies with the same net profit of N500,000 are not likely to pay the same company income tax,because the allowable and non allowable expenses and income, would be different.That is, their taxable profit, different from declared net profit,based on the applicable tax laws would be different.

It is the content and character and not the absolute figure of your net profit that determines your company's tax.

Your tax liability can never be determined on this platform without providing the full details of your financials.

Please consult an accountant for accurate determination of your tax liability.

However,if you do not mind to provide the full details of your financials publicly,,your tax liability can be determined,right on this platform.

This could be a learning opportunity for other entrepreneurs.

www.deeno.com.ng
Accountancy,Financial and Risk Solutions.

1 Like

Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by ThierryJay: 3:43pm On Jan 11, 2021
ascek:

OP, Let me simplify this for you.

The only relevant information you provided to answer your question, is that you made a net profit of N500thousand. You did not provide info about your company's turnover. Therefore, I will clarify based on assumed scenarios.

If your annual revenue/turnover that generated the 500k profit is less than N25million, you are exempted from paying any corporate income tax to the Government on the 500k profit. This is because you will be considered as a small company.

If your turnover is between N25 - 100million, you will pay 20% of your taxable profit as corporate tax. (Note that taxable profit is not the same as your 500k here but is calculated based on specific rules in the tax law).

Also, note that your company is not required to pay any VAT (different from income tax) to the Government where your annual turnover is less than N25million. The current VAT rate is 7.5% and your company will only be required to include it in your invoices to your customers and remit it to the FG where your yearly revenue is above 25million.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by fkj950ax(m): 3:54pm On Jan 11, 2021
prodigyy:
The system is not really solid. You can eventually evade tax if you're smart.

And we will sit together tomorrow and discuss #EndBadGovernaceInNigeria
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jan 11, 2021
Trustedpro:

Which country, is that in Nigeria?

Do you know what you writing down.

VAT AND COMPANY INCOME TAX ARE 2 DIFFERENT STUFF
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jan 11, 2021
ThierryJay:

OP, Let me simplify this for you.

The only relevant information you provided to answer your question, is that you made a net profit of N500thousand. You did not provide info about your company's turnover. Therefore, I will clarify based on assumed scenarios.

If your annual revenue/turnover that generated the 500k profit is less than N25million, you are exempted from paying any corporate income tax to the Government on the 500k profit. This is because you will be considered as a small company.

If your turnover is between N25 - 100million, you will pay 20% of your taxable profit as corporate tax. (Note that taxable profit is not the same as your 500k here but is calculated based on specific rules in the tax law).

Also, note that your company is not required to pay any VAT (different from income tax) to the Government where your annual turnover is less than N25million. The current VAT rate is 7.5% and your company will only be required to include it in your invoices to your customers and remit it to the FG where your yearly revenue is above 25million.

THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER. BUT THAT IS THE NEW FEDERAL TAX LAW

BEFORE IT WAS A FIXED RATE OF 30%

The state also have their own tax like Business Premises Tax.
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by EMDN: 3:59pm On Jan 11, 2021
[Please keep quite when serious once are discussing
quote author=walter11590 post=97888402]Hey, Okada, carry me go la.las.ticl.ala house, this must enter fp and you go carry me back to this thread. How much? [/quote]
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Mosfemi: 4:00pm On Jan 11, 2021
Hire talented Nigerian freelancers on https://wecruite.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN To Clamp Down On Illegal PoS Operators / Anything You Want From The Alaba International Market ? / Amputated Man Sells Beads In Onitsha (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.