Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:52 PM

Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? (21401 Views)

Wema Records 196 Percent Profit Before Tax In 2023 Financial Report / Zenith Bank Plc Records N47 Billion Profit After Tax In First Quarter / Dangote Sugar Posts N54bn Profit Before Tax In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by talk2hb1(m): 4:04pm On Jan 11, 2021
Tooh
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by hush15: 4:14pm On Jan 11, 2021
charlesvure:
Small businesses pay an average of 19.8 percent in taxes depending on the type of small business. Small businesses with one owner pay a 13.3 percent tax rate on average and ones with more than one owner pay an average of 23.6 percent. Small business corporations (known as “small corporations”) pay an average of 26.9 percent, according to the Small Business Administration.

Large business. The CIT rate is 30% for large companies (i.e. companies with gross turnover greater than NGN 100 million), assessed on a preceding year basis (i.e. tax is charged on profits for the accounting year ending in the year preceding assessment).

Just imagine, government don become major shareholder be that now
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by sojfarm: 4:45pm On Jan 11, 2021
alphaconde:

thanks for schooling me joor

God bless u

Welcome sir
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 11, 2021
ascek:
For a business man who owns a bnx Nig Ltd., Assuming he has a starting capital of 2,000,000 in naira and at the end of the financial year he makes 500,000 in naira after paying salaries for himself and workers and every other things. How much of this 500,000 will government charge as tax and how is it calculated? Thanks as you provide answers

Consult an accountant with you money. Stop looking for free services. You will soon ask us to help you balance your books of account
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jan 11, 2021
ascek:
For a business man who owns a bnx Nig Ltd., Assuming he has a starting capital of 2,000,000 in naira and at the end of the financial year he makes 500,000 in naira after paying salaries for himself and workers and every other things. How much of this 500,000 will government charge as tax and how is it calculated? Thanks as you provide answers
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by ascek(m): 5:49pm On Jan 11, 2021
ThierryJay:

OP, Let me simplify this for you.

The only relevant information you provided to answer your question, is that you made a net profit of N500thousand. You did not provide info about your company's turnover. Therefore, I will clarify based on assumed scenarios.

If your annual revenue/turnover that generated the 500k profit is less than N25million, you are exempted from paying any corporate income tax to the Government on the 500k profit. This is because you will be considered as a small company.

If your turnover is between N25 - 100million, you will pay 20% of your taxable profit as corporate tax. (Note that taxable profit is not the same as your 500k here but is calculated based on specific rules in the tax law).

Also, note that your company is not required to pay any VAT (different from income tax) to the Government where your annual turnover is less than N25million. The current VAT rate is 7.5% and your company will only be required to include it in your invoices to your customers and remit it to the FG where your yearly revenue is above 25million.
This response will give intending entrepreneurs some knowledge on how Tax works in Nigeria

Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by famouscargo4u: 5:54pm On Jan 11, 2021
Coronavirus84:

VAT in supply is 7.5% , WHT is 5% and Stamp duty is 1%
depending on the nature of business, some 5% and others 10%
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jan 11, 2021
Personal income tax is 7.5% on the profit you made.

1 Like

Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Olatoman(m): 6:21pm On Jan 11, 2021
The immediate response to this is that you get a Tax Consultant.

But also, I'm no consultant, just an accountant so will give you a general idea of things.

Before you can decide what to pay for CIT, you need to factor in WHT deductions made by you, and made by others on your tax applicable invoice.

Why I said so is because WHT is an advanced form of CIT per se.

Scenario: Say you have an invoice of N500,000.00 Vat exclusive.
If you are fully business registered, whoever gets that invoice should remove a 10% on the exclusive amount, and pay you the balance of (90%x500k)+(7.5% of 500K)

That is the WHT paid on your behalf, as your TIN and other details on that invoice will be used when making the payment to FIRS.

So let us say in a financial year, you have a WHT claimable of say 300k, and your CIT computation says you are to pay 450k, you are basically going to pay 150k.

Like I said, a tax consultant will be helpful to you at this stage.

I will tell you to reference the new finance act, VAT and WHT rules and also nairametrics for more information.

Cheers.
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 11, 2021
prekumohtim:

Consult an accountant with you money. Stop looking for free services. You will soon ask us to help you balance your books of account
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Coinbased: 7:11pm On Jan 11, 2021
Your business
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by ThierryJay: 8:06pm On Jan 11, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER. BUT THAT IS THE NEW FEDERAL TAX LAW

BEFORE IT WAS A FIXED RATE OF 30%

The state also have their own tax like Business Premises Tax.

Yes, business premises tax is 5k per location.

The 30% you are referring to is the corporate tax and not VAT. VAT was formerly 5% but now 7.5%.
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by henrijin: 8:14pm On Jan 11, 2021
ascek:

Taxes for a ltd is 20% and 30% on profit for small businesses and big businesses respectively. However, the taxman's profit is calculated differently from accounting profit. You can contact me if you need better clarifications.
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jan 11, 2021
ThierryJay:

Yes, business premises tax is 5k per location.

The 30% you are referring to is the corporate tax and not VAT. VAT was formerly 5% but now 7.5%.

I never wrote about vat.

30% tax was for all business inrespective of size before.

Now some companies are exempted from paying company income tax in the new finance bill.

If your turnover is less than 25million, you don't have to file company income tax.
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by ThierryJay: 8:21pm On Jan 11, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

I never wrote about vat.

Now some companies are exempted from paying company income tax in the new finance bill.

If your turnover is less than 25million, you don't have to file company income tax.

You are correct, I misinterpreted your comment my bad.
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Sezua(m): 8:24pm On Jan 11, 2021
Mide3367:
As a complete company, what are the various tax one pay to government? Who can help me summarise tat? I run a company Hollyway Global Investment. It has a corporate acct but I haven't paid any government levi at all
Oga, pay an accountant to consult for you, before nairaland scattered accountants teach you nonsense.

you can reach out to me via dm. PS, I'm going to only give you a brief summary if you do reach out.
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Sezua(m): 8:27pm On Jan 11, 2021
prodigyy:
The system is not really solid. You can eventually evade tax if you're smart.
True, but if FIRS or the relevant state board (especially LIRS) get your time, you will pay eventually
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Mide3367: 9:40pm On Jan 11, 2021
Sezua:

Oga, pay an accountant to consult for you, before nairaland scattered accountants teach you nonsense.

you can reach out to me via dm. PS, I'm going to only give you a brief summary if you do reach out.
how much be ur charges oga
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Ayobami93(m): 10:53pm On Jan 11, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

I never wrote about vat.

You will have to file for CIT but the CIT liability will be nil if the turnover is below N25m, otherwise you will be charged for late submission penalty for accounts.
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Junior66(m): 7:38am On Jan 12, 2021
Chii59:
Personal income tax is 7.5% on the profit you made.
not really correct, PIT rate is graduated. You pay more depending on the amount of profit you make. The 7.5% you mentioned is only for someone that made about 300k profit.
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Sezua(m): 8:04pm On Jan 12, 2021
Mide3367:
how much be ur charges oga
my dm is open
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by gendebs(m): 8:14pm On Jan 16, 2021
Different tax summaries and narration.

Let me help you out

Tax is collected monthly or annually
Monthly Tax you are subjected to are PAYE and VAT

VAT is subjected to be tax at 7.5% of invoice or quoted price if the business meets N25,000,000 turnover threshold. It's also know as consumption tax. Thou, some service and goods are exempted or waived from paying VAT irrespective of the business turnover. It's remitted to FIRS

PAYE is know as pay as you earn. The higher your earnings the higher your tax but from January 31st, employee that earns less than N30,000 monthly are exempted from this tax. It's remitted to the state internal revenue of your resident.

CIT also is subjected to 20% of profit (turnover less Cost of sales and expenses) if the business meets N25,000,000 naira threshold and 30% of profit if the business meets N100,000,000 and above threshold.

U can check my signature if you need further clarification
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Israeljones(m): 9:10pm On Jan 16, 2021
gendebs:

Let me help you out

VAT is subjected to be tax at 7.5% of invoice or quoted price if the business meets N25,000,000 turnover threshold. It's also know as consumption tax. Thou, some service and goods are exempted or waived from paying VAT irrespective of the business turnover. It's remitted to FIRS

PAYE is know as pay as you earn. The higher your earnings the higher your tax but from January 31st, employee that earns less than N30,000 monthly are exempted from this tax. It's remitted to the state internal revenue of your resident.

CIT also is subjected to 20% of profit (turnover less Cost of sales and expenses) if the business meets N25,000,000 naira threshold and 30% of profit if the business meets N100,000,000 and above threshold.

25,000,000 monthly or yearly?
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by gendebs(m): 6:48am On Jan 17, 2021
Israeljones:

25,000,000 monthly or yearly?

Annual N25,000,000 threshold
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Israeljones(m): 10:47am On Jan 17, 2021
gendebs:

Let me help you out

What rate do you feel is best taxable or charged on Monthly salary of 50k upwards because i know The PAYE varies..
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by gendebs(m): 3:13pm On Jan 17, 2021
Israeljones:

What rate do you feel is best taxable or charged on Monthly salary of 50k upwards because i know The PAYE varies..

PAYE is a progressive tax. The rate is not fixed, the higher you earn the more the tax you are paying.

Also, they are statutory deductions(PENSION, INSURANCE, NHF etc) that is deducted from taxable income of the tax payer.
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by Israeljones(m): 8:02pm On Jan 17, 2021
gendebs:

PAYE is a progressive tax. The rate is not fixed, the higher you earn the more the tax you are paying.

Also, they are statutory deductions(PENSION, INSURANCE, NHF etc) that is deducted from taxable income of the tax payer.

so there is no fix rate to charge.... Like u said the higher the salary the higher the tax... i just want to know the statutory percentage charged
Re: Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated? by gendebs(m): 2:14pm On Jan 19, 2021
Israeljones:

so there is no fix rate to charge.... Like u said the higher the salary the higher the tax... i just want to know the statutory percentage charged

It's more technical than you think.

The first N300,000 after all deductions(CRA, statutory deductions) is charged at 7%
The next N300,000 is charged at 11%
Next N500,000 at 15%

Can you see it's technical

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don’t Transact In Dollar – EFCC Warns Schools, Hotels, Others / Anything You Want From The Alaba International Market ? / Amputated Man Sells Beads In Onitsha (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.