Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,247 members, 7,780,498 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:35 PM

Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou (64597 Views)

What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? / Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy / Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by miqos02(m): 7:22am On Mar 31, 2011
i called a custom officer to tell me what i need to do if i bring in a vehicle from cotonou. he said i should not try it that its very risky. pls whats ur experience
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Tadeus(m): 7:44am On Mar 31, 2011
@ poster

The person you called did not know anything about clearing at seme border and secondly, I doubt if the person is real custom officer. If you bought a car at cotonuo and you pay a custom duty charges at the border, you are permitted to drive the car in anywhere in Nigeria,even Abuja, for 90 days without plate numbers on the and no any Nigerian uniform men will embarrass you. Seme border custom papers are strictly online and if any custom officer want to confirm you papers, they will see you vehicle document in their database,

I do not see any risk buying cars from cotonuo cars market but people are always scared, Everything have changed now,if you are paying custom papers charges for your car at Seme border, you can even drive it down to Lagos yourself without any issues but when you are not ready to pay for the custom chrages, you will need help of crossers to bring the car in for you.

Cheers

7 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by sholasho(m): 8:15am On Mar 31, 2011
@Poster,

What Reason did he give to you for saying it is Risky? I'm sure he would have a reason for saying that. Maybe you are among those that are looking at a 2002 model car for a price of 1993 Model car, then you sorting at Flying the car, Even if you are not paying Customs duty, Your car would be delivered Safely as long as you pay the amount requested by the driver driving it to settle out the road. But once you paying your customs duty, you don't have any issue of any kind. I really am interested in knowing why he said "Its Risky"??
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by larryshow4(m): 8:18am On Mar 31, 2011
**Watching^^**
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by baconline(m): 9:15am On Mar 31, 2011
Tadeus:

@ poster

The person you called did not know anything about clearing at seme border and secondly, I doubt if the person is real custom officer. If you bought a car at cotonuo and you pay a custom duty charges at the border, you are permitted to drive the car in anywhere in Nigeria,even Abuja, for 90 days without plate numbers on the and no any Nigerian uniform men will embarrass you. Seme border custom papers are strictly online and if any custom officer want to confirm you papers, they will see you vehicle document in their database,

I do not see any risk buying cars from cotonuo cars market but people are always scared, Everything have changed now,if you are paying custom papers charges for your car at Seme border, you can even drive it down to Lagos yourself without any issues but when you are not ready to pay for the custom chrages, you will need help of crossers to bring the car in for you.

Cheers

I doubt u clearing anything at d border,most cars from cotonuo ARE SMUGGLED IN PERIOD!!!!!,u pay the BENIN custom duties,then pay NIGERIAN custom too.I dont think so.Don't believe all d lies about the car being cleared thru Naija customs ,it is probably false(possible true for high end cars that 200k naira is neglegible).Take an example I buy a bus for 1.7 mil CFA pay about 400,000CFA for clearing thru there customs.Then pay another 80k naira for transport to naija.Then come and pay another 150-200k for naija custom.NOT TRUE

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by larryshow4(m): 9:22am On Mar 31, 2011
@baconline,

That's where you go wrong, when you are paying duty for a bus of say 150,000naira. Then you are not paying any driving of any kind which u said 80,000naira. What kind of driving is that? Since you paid your duty. You can drive it yourself. And secondly. When an agent charge you say 150,000naira on the duty of a car, the value of the car determines the duty cost. Might be say 80,000naira. The remaining money are for offices and his own gain. Might end up paying about 50,000naira to office. Where one would say pay me 5,000naira before I sign and so on and so forth. I hope I cleared that out for you. wink

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by baconline(m): 9:27am On Mar 31, 2011
larryshow4:

@baconline,

That's where you go wrong, when you are paying duty for a bus of say 150,000naira. Then you are not paying any driving of any kind which u said 80,000naira. What kind of driving is that? Since you paid your duty. You can drive it yourself. And secondly. When an agent charge you say 150,000naira on the duty of a car, the value of the car determines the duty cost. Might be say 80,000naira. The remaining money are for offices and his own gain. Might end up paying about 50,000naira to office. Where one would say pay me 5,000naira before I sign and so on and so forth. I hope I cleared that out for you. wink
hmmmmm,thats nice.Give me a detailed analysis for one or two cars,could learn from that
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Tadeus(m): 10:10am On Mar 31, 2011
I doubt u clearing anything at d border,most cars from cotonuo ARE SMUGGLED IN PERIOD!!!!!,u pay the BENIN custom duties,then pay NIGERIAN custom too.I dont think so.Don't believe all d lies about the car being cleared thru Naija customs ,it is probably false(possible true for high end cars that 200k naira is neglegible).Take an example I buy a bus for 1.7 mil CFA pay about 400,000CFA for clearing thru there customs.Then pay another 80k naira for transport to naija.Then come and pay another 150-200k for naija custom.NOT TRUE

I think its the agent that took you to market that mislead you. After cotonuo custom clearing, if you want to do Nigerian custom, your car will go straight to Pastor park at Seme border and you agent will drive it down to Nigerian custom vehicle seat, once your Nigerian custom papers are ready, they will release your car for you and you can even drive it yourself down to your place if you like. But if you are not ready to pay for custom papers, I will bring the car in for you without any issues

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by larryshow4(m): 11:07am On Mar 31, 2011
@baconline,

Take an instance of you buying a 1998model car and you want it delivered to Lagos, you don't want to pay the customs duty. The dealer would charge you for driving the car down to Lagos, he might charge you say for example 70,000Naira. This money is meant to settle customs on the road, so that they wouldn't impound the car. In this case, you can't drive the car down to Lagos because you don't drive non-duty car. You don't know the manner of approaching the customs. But when you are buying this car, and paying the customs duty say for about 150,000naira. When the car is released at the boarder, you drive it down to lagos yourself without paying anyone 70,000naira and also without any customs or police disturbing you. You can use it for 90 working days and go to anywhere with it without harrasement. But its advicable you register it for security reasons. You know our brothers of the night them wink I hope I have been able to clearify things to you now.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by baconline(m): 11:41am On Mar 31, 2011
larryshow4:

@baconline,

Take an instance of you buying a 1998model car and you want it delivered to Lagos, you don't want to pay the customs duty. The dealer would charge you for driving the car down to Lagos, he might charge you say for example 70,000Naira. This money is meant to settle customs on the road, so that they wouldn't impound the car. In this case, you can't drive the car down to Lagos because you don't drive non-duty car. You don't know the manner of approaching the customs. But when you are buying this car, and paying the customs duty say for about 150,000naira. When the car is released at the boarder, you drive it down to lagos yourself without paying anyone 70,000naira and also without any customs or police disturbing you. You can use it for 90 working days and go to anywhere with it without harrasement. But its advicable you register it for security reasons. You know our brothers of the night them wink I hope I have been able to clearify things to you now.

tx
What do u mean by 90 working days, ?
Also I need a more practical example as in one that u bought from Benin,state all d expenses
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by miqos02(m): 8:40pm On Mar 31, 2011
Tadeus:

@ poster

Cheers

dear i spoke to a very senior officer
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by sholasho(m): 11:38am On Apr 02, 2011
miqos02:

dear i spoke to a very senior officer

He is absolutely not a custom officer AT ALL AT ALL. Why would a Custom officer (claim) say its very risky to bring in car from cotonou?
its equally risky to bring in car from tincan then? Only God knows the kind of custom that one is. Or you are getting him wrong call him again tell him you are planning to bring a car in through Seme boarder and willing to pay the Custom duty (appropriate tariff) then lets hear what he has to say.
if you need me to throw more light i can do it verbally

4 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by sholasho(m): 11:46am On Apr 02, 2011
baconline:

When you dont understand something you dont start to learn this way, its not too good.
Ask a credible cotonou dealer to put in more light for you.

3 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by phoneworks: 7:22pm On Feb 16, 2012
A friend told me his car dellar demanded N250,000 to pay for this duty in december after buying a toyota 2001 siena, But getting at custom one other day they impounded him and took 40k claiming duty was not fully paid. How do we verify if duty is fully paid,

2 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by femmy2010(m): 8:43pm On Feb 16, 2012
phoneworks:

A friend told me his car dellar demanded N250,000 to pay for this duty in december after buying a toyota 2001 siena, But getting at custom one other day they impounded him and took 40k claiming duty was not fully paid. How do we verify if duty is fully paid,

The custom operative must have taken advantage of him in spite of the fact that the duty paid was exact or he was cheated by his dealer/agent.
His/her best bet is to take photocopies of his/her custom papers to the nearest custom office to ascertain if duty was duly paid and if yes he/she would know how well to stand on his right should any dubious custom officer try to take advantage of him in future.
Alternatively,he should check the year written on the blue colored Customs valuation/assessment form to know the year used.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by KunleA2(m): 8:44pm On Feb 16, 2012
[b]Do not be fooled about what anyone tell you. THERE IS NO WAY TO IMPORT A U.S SPEC CAR THRU COTONOU TO NIGERIA AND BE CHEAPER IF YOU PAY ALL DUTY!!!! NO WAY!!! NO HOW!!!!

Lets say for instance 2 identical cars from New York bought for same price. One ships to Cotonou, the other to Nigeria. The cost of shipping will be about the same cos its the same ship that is coming from the USA stops at Cotonou, Ghana, Lagos etc

Same as you are traveling from Ibadan to Lagos. Everybody pays the same from Ibadan regardless if you drop at Redeem, Mowe, Berger or Ojota.

The vehicle dropped at Cotonou will pay Cotonou duty which is cheaper compared to that of Nigeria. If the owner wants it delivered to Lagos LEGITIMATELY it pays the Nigerian Duty as well. Which EFFECTIVELY amounts to 2 duties paid (Cotonou and Nigeria)

The other car come straight to Lagos and pay Nigerian Duty alone and its done.

THE ONLY WAY COTONOU CAR CAN BE CHEAPER IS IF THE NAIJA DUTY IS AVOIDED. COTONOU WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO GET AWAY WITH THAT!!!

The seller in New York doesn't care where you ship it to, he sells the same price whether to Nigeria, Ghana, Libya, South Africa etc

The only thing that attracts Nigerian Buyers to Cotonou is the lower price. DON'T BE FOOLED!!! YOUR RIDE WILL BE SEIZED IF YOU DON'T PAY CORRECT DUTY!!!! [/b]

[size=13pt]All these agents will tell you different. And i know that there are lots of Cotonou agents here and i am waiting for them to say that i am wrong.[/size]

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by femmy2010(m): 9:28pm On Feb 16, 2012
Kunle-A:

[b]Do not be fooled about what anyone tell you. THERE IS NO WAY TO IMPORT A U.S SPEC CAR THRU COTONOU TO NIGERIA AND BE CHEAPER IF YOU PAY ALL DUTY!!!! NO WAY!!! NO HOW!!!!

Lets say for instance 2 identical cars from New York bought for same price. One ships to Cotonou, the other to Nigeria. The cost of shipping will be about the same cos its the same ship that is coming from the USA stops at Cotonou, Ghana, Lagos etc

Same as you are traveling from Ibadan to Lagos. Everybody pays the same from Ibadan regardless if you drop at Redeem, Mowe, Berger or Ojota.

The vehicle dropped at Cotonou will pay Cotonou duty which is cheaper compared to that of Nigeria. If the owner wants it delivered to Lagos LEGITIMATELY it pays the Nigerian Duty as well. Which EFFECTIVELY amounts to 2 duties paid (Cotonou and Nigeria)

The other car come straight to Lagos and pay Nigerian Duty alone and its done.

THE ONLY WAY COTONOU CAR CAN BE CHEAPER IS IF THE NAIJA DUTY IS AVOIDED. COTONOU WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO GET AWAY WITH THAT!!!

The seller in New York doesn't care where you ship it to, he sells the same price whether to Nigeria, Ghana, Libya, South Africa etc

The only thing that attracts Nigerian Buyers to Cotonou is the lower price. DON'T BE FOOLED!!! YOUR RIDE WILL BE SEIZED IF YOU DON'T PAY CORRECT DUTY!!!! [/b]

[size=13pt]All these agents will tell you different. And i know that there are lots of Cotonou agents here and i am waiting for them to say that i am wrong.[/size]

[b]Sir,
I agree with some of what you have written but the scenario stated below is what makes buying from Cotonou and paying due duty never more expensive than what is sold on the Lagos front.

1 - It cost slightly cheaper shipping a car to Cotonou,right?(The difference use to be as mush as $400 before the cancellation of the CTN regime)
2 - Importers in Cotonou don't have to hustle cash to clear their shipped in vehicles,meaning they have more available cash to use to import more cars(More cars for sale)
3 - Demurage payment only starts after the car must have spent 1 year at the park but Nigeria ports start attracting demurage from the 3rd day after the vessel that conveyed the vehicle discharged(So possible cash lost to demurage is cut off).
4 - The fact that a Cotonou car seller can sell up to 10 cars a day means he can afford to sell with a profit margin of between a $100 - $300(Believe it) while his Lagos counterpart struggling under high demurage and repayment of money borrowed to clear his car would want to make at least $800 upwards from the sale of a car.(I don't blame him cos he may not sell a single car in 1 week,compared to his Cotonou counterpart who sells minimum of 5 a day)
5 - It cost much lower to clear a car in Cotonou and the duty payable cost less at the point of entry in Nigeria(Land borders). why?Terminal and shipping company charges which are payable at the sea port are exempted from what is paid at the Land borders.
6 - People also buy from Cotonou because they know that no where in Nigeria can you get an agglomeration of same buy options in a singular location for them to pick from.(abi where else can you get tens of 2000 Model Camry in a single location in Nigeria?.

What matters most is dealing with a credible agent/dealer.
[/b]

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by KunleA2(m): 9:39pm On Feb 16, 2012
Hi,

I understand your explanation but you seem to be missing the point. I am talking about if you bring it in with all expenses paid.

The total cost of landing in Lagos is what i am after.

Since there is no CTN, then there is a level playing field.

The choice or availability of cars in Cotonou has little or nothing on this issue. There can be 1,000 Camry's out there, the client cars about HIS car.

I am still steadfast: COTONOU CARS WILL BE HIGHER IN COST IF ALL DUTY IS PAID
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by kelly27(m): 9:43pm On Feb 16, 2012
Does it mean that if u are to buy a car from cotonou, u have to pay 2 custom duties(cotonou and nigeria)?

wen dealers tell u that d custom duty has been paid, do they mean nigeria, cotonou or both custom duties?
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by femmy2010(m): 10:00pm On Feb 16, 2012
kelly27:

Does it mean that if u are to buy a car from cotonou, u have to pay 2 custom duties(cotonou and nigeria)?

Yes.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by femmy2010(m): 10:08pm On Feb 16, 2012
Kunle-A:

I am still steadfast: COTONOU CARS WILL BE HIGHER IN COST IF ALL DUTY IS PAID

Sir,I disagree with your assertion as it is not always the case.

2 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by kelly27(m): 10:14pm On Feb 16, 2012
@femmy2010, i would be glad to get a reply to my 2nd question.

I learnt custom duty costs abt 200k though depending on d car. Does it include both nigeria n cotonou custom duties?

I need clarification pls. thanks
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Noslan007: 10:26pm On Feb 16, 2012
Thanks 4 d education. Pls which of dis car is manageable 4 a first time family car user. Toyota previa, Toyota picnic, Mustubish space wagon and v/w Sharon. I have 600k budget and ready. Email nosiruolanrewaju@hotmail.com

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by femmy2010(m): 9:41am On Feb 17, 2012
kelly27:

@femmy2010, i would be glad to get a reply to my 2nd question.

I learnt custom duty costs abt 200k though depending on d car. Does it include both nigeria n cotonou custom duties?

I need clarification pls. thanks

Duty payment could be as low as N130k and as high as N3m dependent on the type of car to be cleared.
I am sure the N200k does not include duty payment on both the Benin and Nigeria end.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by femmy2010(m): 9:43am On Feb 17, 2012
Noslan007:

Thanks 4 d education. Pls which of dis car is manageable 4 a first time family car user. Toyota previa, Toyota picnic, Mustubish space wagon and v/w Sharon. I have 600k budget and ready. Email nosiruolanrewaju@hotmail.com

They are all good buy option but the major determinant of what you will buy is your budget.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Noslan007: 10:51am On Feb 17, 2012
Do u have any of these cars for sale now. Pls. reply.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by kelly27(m): 11:04am On Feb 17, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
@Femmy2010: Thanks for ur response.

What would d full custom duty (both benin &nigeria) be for 1996 camry?
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Adgamed: 9:17am On Apr 12, 2012
@Femmy2010: Thanks for ur response.

What would d full custom duty (both benin &nigeria) be for 1996 camry?

[/quote]

Pls how much can I get a Toyota Camry 96 Model (Orobo) from Cotonou, pls break d custom duties @ both seme and cotonou.

Thank You

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by babiifaace: 10:59am On May 08, 2012
HI all,i have been observing this trend for a long time and couldn't say anything becos i didn't know about the subject matter. Both i just came back from cotonou on friday. I went there bought a car and paid all custom duties and everything took 5days plus the public holiday on Tuesday.I must tell u, if u want a good car that u are sure of and ur budget is small, go to cotonou urself. The car i bought,these People called agents or dealers in NairaLand will tell u 1.3mill to get it to Lagos and so on,but i bought, paid all custom duties,hotel,feeding and transport for far less than 1million.So i final conclusion is cotonou cars are cheaper and better,i drove down to Abuja without even adding water to the car,no problem what so every.
But i must say something i observed, our Nigerian guys,go there to buy accidented cars,damaged cars and repair them in cotonou before bring them to Nigeria without paying the required Nigerian custom duty. They buy cars that there speedometer has gone over 200,000 km and reduce them. So i suggest u go urself, pay,clear and followup.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by balogunsam(m): 5:54pm On May 08, 2012
babiifaace: HI all,i have been observing this trend for a long time and couldn't say anything becos i didn't know about the subject matter. Both i just came back from cotonou on friday. I went there bought a car and paid all custom duties and everything took 5days plus the public holiday on Tuesday.I must tell u, if u want a good car that u are sure of and ur budget is small, go to cotonou urself. The car i bought,these People called agents or dealers in NairaLand will tell u 1.3mill to get it to Lagos and so on,but i bought, paid all custom duties,hotel,feeding and transport for far less than 1million.So i final conclusion is cotonou cars are cheaper and better,i drove down to Abuja without even adding water to the car,no problem what so every.
But i must say something i observed, our Nigerian guys,go there to buy accidented cars,damaged cars and repair them in cotonou before bring them to Nigeria without paying the required Nigerian custom duty. They buy cars that there speedometer has gone over 200,000 km and reduce them. So i suggest u go urself, pay,clear and followup.

are u serious?? I've always been wondering ooo. I want to buy a car but i want to go myself,pick my car,pay for it,pay duties, register, wash and go home jejelly! Can we talk? Please gimme ur email id or email me via balogunsam11@yahoo.com
thanks so much for d illumination.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by babiifaace: 9:05am On May 09, 2012
Hi,my email is babiifaace@gmail.com,u can always get in touch with me. Cheers
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by balogunsam(m): 10:16pm On May 09, 2012
babiifaace: Hi,my email is babiifaace@gmail.com,u can always get in touch with me. Cheers

thanks,i mailed u on tuesday but avnt gotten a reply yet.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Governor Sanwo-Olu Unveils First Electric Car In Nigeria (Photos, Video) / This Nigerian Mechanic Has Gone Viral After A Video Show Him Lifting An Engine / Innoson Releases Luxury IVM G80 And G40 SUV (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.