Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,505 members, 7,808,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (122) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1638265 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by UncleAyo: 8:23am On Apr 16, 2021
How true is it that one can expedite visa interview appointment earlier than 60 days to the program start date?

Someone above just said it.

The contrary is what they stated on their website
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Amat04: 8:39am On Apr 16, 2021
I just did, please check your mail.

Thank you

[quote author=adesco2k9 post=100836521][/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by James241: 8:43am On Apr 16, 2021
Okay, but did your uncle name was written on your I-20?
BabyI24:

While filling the Ds-160, I specified that my mum will be sponsoring me and on the interview day, I went with her bank statement
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by adesco2k9: 8:59am On Apr 16, 2021
BabyI24:
Visa approved for masters in computer science
School: Maharishi international university

After passing my passport and i20
VO: where have you traveled to in the last one month?
Me: last time i traveled was in 2018.(he looked at all my passport pages) he asked me to thumbprint
VO: What’s your plan?
Me: (I assumed that was the question he asked because I did not hear and He already repeated the question twice) I replied I am going to Maharishi international university to obtain a degree in computer science).
VO: I can see your uncle is no longer sponsoring
ME: yes. I think I was denied because of that. My mother is cable of sponsoring me.
VO: what does she do?
Me: I said what she does
VO: can I see her bank statement?
Me: I passed the bank statement.
VO: what will this degree do for you?
Me: the degree will enable me apply to senior software developer position here in Nigeria.
VO: what’s your qualifications?
Me: I have a national diploma, higher national diploma and a bachelors degree all in computer science
VO: where will you be staying?
Me: will be staying in the school’s hostel.
VO: how much is your mother paying?
Me: my mother will be paying 5000 then the VO completes “then the you will pay up the remaining from your internship?” I said yes.
VO: has the school told you who you be working with?
Me: No. will be working with a company approved by the university
Note: all this while he read my i20 carefully and was on his computer too
VO: everything is fine from my end
VO: what do you do?
Me: I work as a front end developer at......
VO: this paper will direct you on how to pick your passport. He gave me my old passport, kept the new one.
And I said thank you.

That was it.

Where you had your previous interview at?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by horlahsunbo225(m): 9:03am On Apr 16, 2021
iire:

Thanks so much for replying but 120 days to what ?
Check the difference between the date between commencement of your program and your interview date...if it's greater than 120 then that might be the reason
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by UncleAyo: 9:13am On Apr 16, 2021
kelechi1771:
Expedite now!!! Mine is in August too and i booked for october and expedited, so now i hve mine scheduled for May 27th. if you don't know how to expedite send me an email: kellyokpala17@gmail.com

I also have my date in october while my program start date is august. Should I expedite now?

Note that : their website frown against an expedite done on days earlier than 60 days to program start date.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:26am On Apr 16, 2021
BabyI24:
Visa approved for masters in computer science
School: Maharishi international university

After passing my passport and i20
VO: where have you traveled to in the last one month?
Me: last time i traveled was in 2018.(he looked at all my passport pages) he asked me to thumbprint
VO: What’s your plan?
Me: (I assumed that was the question he asked because I did not hear and He already repeated the question twice) I replied I am going to Maharishi international university to obtain a degree in computer science).
VO: I can see your uncle is no longer sponsoring
ME: yes. I think I was denied because of that. My mother is cable of sponsoring me.
VO: what does she do?
Me: I said what she does
VO: can I see her bank statement?
Me: I passed the bank statement.
VO: what will this degree do for you?
Me: the degree will enable me apply to senior software developer position here in Nigeria.
VO: what’s your qualifications?
Me: I have a national diploma, higher national diploma and a bachelors degree all in computer science
VO: where will you be staying?
Me: will be staying in the school’s hostel.
VO: how much is your mother paying?
Me: my mother will be paying 5000 then the VO completes “then the you will pay up the remaining from your internship?” I said yes.
VO: has the school told you who you be working with?
Me: No. will be working with a company approved by the university
Note: all this while he read my i20 carefully and was on his computer too
VO: everything is fine from my end
VO: what do you do?
Me: I work as a front end developer at......
VO: this paper will direct you on how to pick your passport. He gave me my old passport, kept the new one.
And I said thank you.

That was it.

This school sounds like a red flag one building one man school, I would not have expected a visa to this school. This shows you how you can never predict how it goes,US student visa process is very subjective and all depends on the Vo .. nice one

Congrats...may God bless your new journey

9 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ikenna04: 9:30am On Apr 16, 2021
BabyI24:

While filling the Ds-160, I specified that my mum will be sponsoring me and on the interview day, I went with her bank statement
But in your i20 it's your uncle's bank statement you used right?. I'm in the same situation. My sponsor is my aunt but I filled out my dad's name as the person who is paying for my trip. So on my interview day should I carry both bank statements. Or should I correct it and put my aunt's Name is the person paying for my trip.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by pebes: 9:39am On Apr 16, 2021
Please. What about Research and Teaching Assistant?
Bigsecret:
Okay.

* a detailed introduction of who you are and why you are interested in that position.

Look at Supervisory questions

* Your supervisory style ( when talking about this, use the STAR to give an example of a time you supervised people)
* what you like in a supervisor ( remember to emphasize that you can work with anyone while you state what you would like)

Look at time management questions ( emphasize prioritizing, flexibility)
Look at how to support students with different identities ( especially if your interview is Student life or Reslife)

How you deal with changes ( you can use Covid as an example for this. Just emphasize your ability to adapt and flexibility)

Some of them might even ask why you chose the school. So prepare for it as well

How you show support for students

And situation questions like

* describe a time when you worked with a difficult person

* describe a time when you worked independently

* describe your ideal work environment

* describe a time follow up made a difference

* describe a time you had to respond to a crisis situation

* if your position involves mediating conflicts, you might be asked to describe a time you mediated a conflict situation?

Go to the website of the department and be aware of what they do so you can tailor your responses to suit them.

Overall be sincere and natural.

I once told an interviewer that I had no idea what she was talking about ( I did not say it like this though) and funnily, I got the assistantship. One last thing I do is that I try to push the fact that Higher Education is different in Nigeria and this helped me in all my interviews. I wish you all the best!

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by fairheart(m): 9:41am On Apr 16, 2021
James241:
Please sir, can I change the sponsor name i used to received my I'20 to another name when filling ds160 Because am having issue with the sponsor. Hope it will not be a problem for me

Provided your sponsor name is not written on the I-20, sure, you can use the new sponsor.
If sponsor name is written on the I-20, I advise you to send the new sponsor statement to the school and ask that sponsor be changed to the new one and new i-20 issued.

This is based on what I know.
All the best!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by fairheart(m): 9:45am On Apr 16, 2021
Amat04:
For clarity please,

My start date is in August, and I was able to schedule an appointment for Ocotober.

Should I expedite now (because I'm hoping to fix my interview date for June ending, or I have to wait till that June ending to expedite?

Kindly do justice to this.

Thanks!

You cannot request for emergency appointment now, or it will be denied and you will be forced to wait for earlier dates when they release them.
Emergency appointment can only be approved if it is requested within 60 days of your program start date. That is, if your program is starting on August 20th, for example, you can only request for emergency from June 19th. It must be within 60 days of program start date--as stated on your i-20.
You must have paid your SEVIS as well. If you can't find any date at the moment, wait for new dates to be released. If new dates did not show and you're within 60 days to your program start date, then you can request for emergency appointment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ikenna04: 9:47am On Apr 16, 2021
fairheart:

Provided your sponsor name is not written on the I-20, sure, you can use the new sponsor.
If sponsor name is written on the I-20, I advise you to send the new sponsor statement to the school and ask that sponsor be changed to the new one and new i-20 issued.

This is based on what I know.
All the best!
but sir the amount my sponsor is bringing is about $34000. So if I carry my dad's own which is not close to that will it matter.
PS I have a scholarship and my sponsors Name is not on the i20
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by fairheart(m): 9:49am On Apr 16, 2021
drjustice17:
I'm going for masters in Public health, in US and my sponsor is via my LGA. Through scholarship,
It covers tuition fees, housing, books and monthly stipends. What documents do I need to present to Embassy . thanks

Ask the local government to provide a sponsor letter, written that they will pay the deficit and that you will not become a public burden.
You should also get a bank statement from the local government as this is the preferred sponsor document the U.S embassy like to see.
However, with the assistantship, if you prepare for your interview very well, your sponsor statement might not be checked---based on experiences on and off here. But make sure you get a statement from the LGA and provide a genuine reason why they are paying the deficit.

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by fairheart(m): 9:50am On Apr 16, 2021
Ikenna04:
but sir the amount my sponsor is bringing is about $34000. So if I carry my dad's own which is not close to that will it matter.
PS I have a scholarship and my sponsors Name is not on the i20
Well, if your Dad will co-sponsor, carry his statement as well. Prepare for your interview. All the best.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Gracilicutes: 9:56am On Apr 16, 2021
sogba1145:
Any university of Idaho PhD student on the forum, let us discuss and exchange ideas
university of idaho has been stressin me ooo, da sa i need wes, did u submit your official transcript..was your admission stressful also
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Picricchem: 9:58am On Apr 16, 2021
Hello house,

Please I need an urgent response.

1. Are they currently accepting printed-online bank statements for interview?

2. Is the duration of history of account statement 3 months or 6 months?

I appreciate a quick response.

Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by fairheart(m): 10:01am On Apr 16, 2021
REQUESTING FOR EMERGENCY APPOINTMENT:

If you can't find a suitable date and you need to request for emergency appointment, the follow steps must be followed for your request to be approved.

You can only request for emergency appointment within 60 days to your program start date. Your program start date is written on your I-20. Check it and know what date it is.

1, Pay your visa fee at GTB. Login to the CGI site here: https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/?country=Nigeria
Fill in your details and put the reference number on your visa fee receipt. Proceed and book any appointment date you see on the site, even if it is December 2021 or 2022. Just book.

If you book this date and you are not within the 60 days of your program start date, relax and check your CGI profile every day in case earlier and suitable dates are released. However, if no suitable dates and you are within the 60-day period, proceed and click request for emergency on your dashboard.

Once you book, the option for "emergency appointment" will show on the left pane menu. Note this. Click on the emergency appointment, which will take you to another page with form to fill. Pick a tentative travel date (date you wish to arrive the US).

3. You must have paid your SEVIS fee and have the PDF confirmation receipt. You must have a scanned copy of your I-20.

4. In the first section of the form, click academic or student. Then compose a short message as to why you need emergency appointment. State your program start date as on I-20 in the message you compose. Indicate the tentative traveling plan you filled in your ds160.

5. Attach your I-20 and SEVIS. Then submit.

If approved, you will be notified through email to go and pick an earlier date on your CGI profile. If refused, you're on your own!
Note that if your emergency appointment was approved and you are notified but you did not go to your profile to pick the dates released for you in time, the date can become unavailable. So it is important to act timely.

I take the pain and time to write this because I don't want anybody here to contact me on how to do it. Now, you have the step-by-step information.
All the best!

25 Likes 11 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ikenna04: 10:15am On Apr 16, 2021
fairheart:

Well, if your Dad will co-sponsor, carry his statement as well. Prepare for your interview. All the best.
in my ds160 I filled out only one of them name. Is that a problem.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by adefabiyusuf: 10:30am On Apr 16, 2021
Please Boss in the house i made a mistake when filling the Ds-160 form and i have scheduled my Visa interview appointment.
Person/Entity Paying for your trip -> i put "SELF" instead of my "DAD".
Please what could be done?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by benjamina96: 10:42am On Apr 16, 2021
Picricchem:
Hello house,
Please I need an urgent response.
1. Are they currently accepting printed-online bank statements for interview?
2. Is the duration of history of account statement 3 months or 6 months?
I appreciate a quick response.
Thanks.
Hello. 1. Can't say. 2. 6 month SOA.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by benjamina96: 10:47am On Apr 16, 2021
Ikenna04:
But in your i20 it's your uncle's bank statement you used right?. I'm in the same situation. My sponsor is my aunt but I filled out my dad's name as the person who is paying for my trip. So on my interview day should I carry both bank statements. Or should I correct it and put my aunt's Name is the person paying for my trip.
Hello.
correct it and put your aunt's name since she's the one paying for the trip.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 11:02am On Apr 16, 2021
adefabiyusuf:
Please Boss in the house i made a mistake when filling the Ds-160 form and i have scheduled my Visa interview appointment.
Person/Entity Paying for your trip -> i put "SELF" instead of my "DAD".
Please what could be done?

Go and fill another ds-160 form then edit your CGI portal with the new one
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by adefabiyusuf: 11:05am On Apr 16, 2021
PotentialNurse:

You mean i should update my profile on my CGI portal with the new DS-160
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by adefabiyusuf: 11:08am On Apr 16, 2021
adefabiyusuf:

You mean i should update my profile on my CGI portal with the new DS-160

And after doing that, Will they update the barcode too? Cos it's clearly stated that you won't be allowed into the hall with DS160/ appointment confirmation barcode irregularities.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 11:13am On Apr 16, 2021
NigPatriot:

congratulations on your full funding - that's a remarkable feat. In providing answers to your question, I wouldn't want you to get nervous and make the wrong choice.

Let's assume June is your expected time of delivery. you still have ample time since your school resumes by September. So don't fret! You definitely will be going with your baby, so you have to plan for that. If your husband is willing to go with you, then that's perfect. he will be coming with you using the F2 dependents visa, you all can apply together, even attend the interview together. For visa applications, get all your passports ready ( inclusive of your newborn - I hear there has been a shortage of this recently due to the breach of contract between FG and the Malaysian manufacturers, but then it shouldn't wary of you). Process your i-20 and get it shipped or mailed to you, pay your sevis fee, book a visa appointment date, but I will advise you birth first before picking a date for your visa interview.

Deferment of your admission to Spring 2022 is another option if you think you're not fully ready for September or fear being overwhelmed, but please relay this information to your graduate coordinator, the aim is to keep in touch and carry your school along - That funding is very key, even in deferment, your funding position can still be preserved for you.

Anjyy, deferment may not be an option for you. A professor or a project you are attached to got the fund for you. Most fundings come in Fall. You may lose the spot. Na God a take beg you, go for your visa for fall and move. Baby can come later if he/she doesnt make it now (but do your best). It is better you get there, let your intention be known, and your baby gets a better chance with you there to move her asap. However, look at the options you have very well. But whichever option you choose, your baby will pray for you that you move because she has a good chance to be with you while you are there. Even your husband also. But if you lose this opportunity, it may never come around again.

But if your department and the source of the fund agrees you can defer it, then, good for you. Just be extra careful the way you ask them. If they see you will be too much burden in them, they can give your spot to the next qualified candidate. Just be careful. My own advice is that you go for what you have. Move. Your baby stands a very good chance to join you very soon later even with your hubby if they do not go for it now. Please, research it very well. You may not get an accurate answer here. But the strong advice I have for you: "Na God a take beg you...do not lose this opportunity as the principal applicant". Education worth of $100,000 plus is what you have. Make you no miss am ooo. Also, a gateway to a huge opportunity in life for you and even this baby. He/she must be with a shining star.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by pebes: 11:19am On Apr 16, 2021
I have the same issue.
Are we going to need to reschedule appointment since DS-160 number is used to schedule appointment.
PotentialNurse:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Dreemerr: 11:31am On Apr 16, 2021
It will be updated

adefabiyusuf:

And after doing that, Will they update the barcode too? Cos it's clearly stated that you won't be allowed into the hall with DS160/ appointment confirmation barcode irregularities.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by sogba1145: 12:01pm On Apr 16, 2021
Gracilicutes:
university of idaho has been stressin me ooo, da sa i need wes, did u submit your official transcript..was your admission stressful also
What did you need wes for at university of idaho? I submitted my unofficial transcript for admission and the official one is requested after the admission was granted to me.And what programme and department?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Misterdhee1(m): 12:31pm On Apr 16, 2021
fairheart:
REQUESTING FOR EMERGENCY APPOINTMENT:

If you can't find a suitable date and you need to request for emergency appointment, the follow steps must be followed for your request to be approved.

You can only request for emergency appointment within 60 days to your program start date. Your program start date is written on your I-20. Check it and know what date it is.

1, Pay your visa fee at GTB. Login to the CGI site here: https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/?country=Nigeria
Fill in your details and put the reference number on your visa fee receipt. Proceed and book any appointment date you see on the site, even if it is December 2021 or 2022. Just book.

If you book this date and you are not within the 60 days of your program start date, relax and check your CGI profile every day in case earlier and suitable dates are released. However, if no suitable dates and you are within the 60-day period, proceed and click request for emergency on your dashboard.

Once you book, the option for "emergency appointment" will show on the left pane menu. Note this. Click on the emergency appointment, which will take you to another page with form to fill. Pick a tentative travel date (date you wish to arrive the US).

3. You must have paid your SEVIS fee and have the PDF confirmation receipt. You must have a scanned copy of your I-20.

4. In the first section of the form, click academic or student. Then compose a short message as to why you need emergency appointment. State your program start date as on I-20 in the message you compose. Indicate the tentative traveling plan you filled in your ds160.

5. Attach your I-20 and SEVIS. Then submit.

If approved, you will be notified through email to go and pick an earlier date on your CGI profile. If refused, you're on your own!
Note that if your emergency appointment was approved and you are notified but you did not go to your profile to pick the dates released for you in time, the date can become unavailable. So it is important to act timely.

I take the pain and time to write this because I don't want anybody here to contact me on how to do it. Now, you have the step-by-step information.
All the best!
Good day sir, I haven't received your response to my inquiry via email. Thank you

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by iire(f): 12:36pm On Apr 16, 2021
horlahsunbo225:

Check the difference between the date between commencement of your program and your interview date...if it's greater than 120 then that might be the reason

You said might sha because I know someone who's difference was 127 days and mine is 125
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tiptoe1: 12:48pm On Apr 16, 2021
iire:

You said might sha because I know someone who's difference was 127 days and mine is 125

Can you tell us what was written on the white paper?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Gracilicutes: 12:55pm On Apr 16, 2021
sogba1145:

What did you need wes for at university of idaho? I submitted my unofficial transcript for admission and the official one is requested after the admission was granted to me.And what programme and department?
phd microbiology biochemistry and molecular bioscience, the man was just stressing me, he first sa they need original transcript from school.
i requested for it an it was sent now da sa da need wes again

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.