Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,851 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:29 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1619114 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by fairheart(m): 3:47pm On Feb 23, 2021
mjan:

Please Mr @fairheart and all experienced NL,
I need to know if a married person going for study with a fully funded PhD scholarship(full tuition waiver + research assistantsip stipends) can be given visa to go with the spouse and kids together? Do we need to show proof of funds(POF) for the family? How much for a family of 5(parents and 3 kids)?

or is it better for the person to go alone first while the dependants(spouse and kids) joins later? Like how many months later please? And its POF also applicable in this instance as well?

Thank you all.

You can apply with your family, and of course, you must show proof of funds for their living expenses if the funding doesn't cover for it.
From experience, I cannot say exactly how the interview will go as the outcome will largely depends on the type of consular you meet. Questions will be asked and constructive answers must be prepared. Is the primary applicants the wife or husband? If wife, then why is the hubby leaving his job to stay in the US? If it's the husband, it is easy to understand why the wife wants to go with the husbands and the 3 kids.

In November 2020, an applicant that I assisted with the interview went was given her visa with 3 kids, without hubby in the picture. The reason was that she cannot imagine leaving behind her kids for 4-5 years, while husband is very busy with his job and may visit during holidays. I have no idea if the plan is to bring in the hubby later. Then that same month, a lady from this thread, without her two kids and husband, applied alone, same Phd. She didn't even have funding on the i-20, yet visa was approved.

You can try with the entire family, or plan to try alone. Who is the primary applicant?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by fairheart(m): 3:51pm On Feb 23, 2021
Contact your school to explain.
I advise you to contact them to explain why there's difference. Last Spring, about 3 applicants were refused because of such difference on i-20 and funding letter. If they can't correct, ask about the difference and print the email along when you're going for your interview.

The students later got their visas after they replied. It is just important to avoid story. Sometimes, the VO want to see the assistantship award letter, then compare with what is on the i-20.

Hisexcellency20:
Good evening all,

Please, I have a concern. Got a PhD with funding. The COA is $38k. When I received my I-20, assistantship was given as $38k. But, my department is writing $31k for assistantship in the letter of Sponsorship.

Please, how do I rectify this?

Can I use the two docs with different figures for Visa Application? Will it be a problem?

Please, help me out here.
@fairheart and other gurus in the house, I need your assistance on what to do.

NB. I have contacted my dept. But, I don't really understand what they are saying.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by fairheart(m): 3:56pm On Feb 23, 2021
Spanishmilf:
I applied to i Global university
Have been given admission and my form as been sent to me.
Booking a date is the problem because I’m using an agent
School resume April 5
The agent said he can’t book a date for me because i already have a profile with us embassy.
I tried visit visa in 2018 but i was denied
He said he as forward my details to the embassy since febuary 15 we have not hear anything from them.
Is their an issue or make i just chill he said they will get back to me

Your agent is lying. I doubt if both of you know what you're doing!
Share your profile, such as age, course, school name, program level (undergraduate or graduate) and other information, if you want to be helped.
I strongly feel you are about to waste some money and get rejected at the embassy again. Share those info and I will be able to guide you. But whatever you do, do not apply for any visa until you clearly know what you are doing!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by fairheart(m): 3:57pm On Feb 23, 2021
IF YOU NEED GRE MATERIALS, QUOTE AND DROP YOUR EMAIL UNDER THIS COMMENT.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by kastgeraldino: 3:59pm On Feb 23, 2021
So are you implying that the funding award letter must match exactly what is on the I-20? Even if both figures are higher than the total cost of attendance.

fairheart:
I advise you to contact them to explain why there's difference. Last Spring, about 3 applicants were refused because of such difference on i-20 and funding letter. If they can't correct, ask about the difference and print the email along when you're going for your interview.

The students later got their visas after they replied. It is just important to avoid story. Sometimes, the VO want to see the assistantship award letter, then compare with what is on the i-20.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by fairheart(m): 4:05pm On Feb 23, 2021
kastgeraldino:
So are you implying that the funding award letter must match exactly what is on the I-20? Even if both figures are higher than the total cost of attendance.

Not necessarily, but do not carry conflicting documents to the embassy. Your assistantship offer letter should explain what you're offered. That is the standard for every university in the U.S. So if you are offered 38K and that is what is documented on the letter, the figure on the I-20 should be documented accordingly. If the award on the i-20 is higher than cost of attendance, it is cool. Just make sure your letter back it up.

You can also tell the person in charge of i-20 issuance to use the remark section to explain the difference. Just to be safe. I have seen cases where VO refused applicants due to inability to understand how the funding was documented on the i-20 and the award letter. Ask your school about the difference and you'll be fine.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tizzdi(m): 4:25pm On Feb 23, 2021
fairheart:
Georgelawani01@gmail.com
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tizzdi(m): 4:26pm On Feb 23, 2021
tizzdi:
Afternoon guys. What are the chances for people with not so great results? cheesy
Unfortunately I finished with a 3.49 in CS and about prepping for GRE.
What are the chances for some sort of funding.
Ps I'm about publishing my undergrad thesis in order to have some form of research experience and also I hold a CCNA cert which I got last year March. Pls any advice would go a long way. Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tizzdi(m): 4:26pm On Feb 23, 2021
zeeLady:
Your profile looks good to me. Your chances are high. There are so many schools you can apply to, for example University of Houston-Victoria, Texas Tech University, University of Arkansa Little rock.....etc.......just google

thank you for your response. Grateful!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by damtan(m): 4:31pm On Feb 23, 2021
This question may sound funny. At what point of the VISA processing does one pay the SEVIS fee please??
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by lifeofgolden1: 4:47pm On Feb 23, 2021
Hello Sir, @Fairheart
My name is Lawrence. I want to use this medium to thank you so much for your help in answering my questions when my Visa application was delayed. I successfully deferred to the Fall semester (August 2021).
Sir, because of the pandemic, I can't go to the US embassy until 120 days before my resumption date. This rule was activated by the consular service providers in other to limit the crowd at the embassy and also protect themselves.
While contemplating this, a friend of mine introduced me to a Pathway program offered by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It is an educational program that prepares you for admission into Brigham Young University. I have successfully completed the Pathway program, gotten admission into Brigham Young University, and currently in my second semester.
I can't afford to stay idle so I embraced the idea and I am schooling with them right away online. But, I want to transfer my credit to Idaho State University before my interview proper. If I should transfer my credit, will I cease been a student of BYU-Idaho immediately? or is there something I don't understand here? The reason I am asking this question is that I don't want to be stranded if my Visa application is been delayed again. I should still have something to lean to academically.
I am sorry for the long text.
Your kind response will be greatly appreciated.
Lawrence.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tiptoe1: 5:07pm On Feb 23, 2021
damtan:
This question may sound funny. At what point of the VISA processing does one pay the SEVIS fee please??

After you've gotten your i-20. It needs to be paid before going for your interview
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by klique(f): 5:09pm On Feb 23, 2021
Thank you so much. I’m not the lazy type my sister. I have all the time in this world with mb. I have sent you a pm. Thank you soooo much.

Moshkom:

Good Day Miss!

If you’re not the lazy type, You don’t need to pay anyone for this USA student visa shii. Because it’s way easy than other country, it’s just time and money that it will take. You will even enjoy doing it yourself, because it’s interesting and challenging. Eventually, doing it yourself will definitely help you when you go for VISA INTERVIEW and when you kick off your GRADUATE STUDY in the state.

HND is not a barrier in the USA. All you need is to convert your ND and HND result to USA STANDARD, using some professional bodies, e.g WES and co then apply for schools like other Bsc holder.

HND is not that a barrier !! Don’t pay anymore!!

PS: I’m also an HND Grad. I’ve secure 5 admits for Msc since the start of this ‘journey’ tho, still yet to process going for visa interview.

You can reach me on PM if you’ve any other question.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Kubrattt(f): 5:12pm On Feb 23, 2021
fairheart:
kmeglobal99@gmail.com
Thank you so much
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by LeviAckerman: 5:12pm On Feb 23, 2021
EmeritusR:

There is no problem.
Kindly check your email boss
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Spanishmilf(m): 5:14pm On Feb 23, 2021
fairheart:

Your agent is lying. I doubt if both of you know what you're doing!
Share your profile, such as age, course, school name, program level (undergraduate or graduate) and other information, if you want to be helped.
I strongly feel you are about to waste some money and get rejected at the embassy again. Share those info and I will be able to guide you. But whatever you do, do not apply for any visa until you clearly know what you are doing!
sigh
I doubt if u understand what I’m saying
Have found a solution thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by NoFap123: 5:19pm On Feb 23, 2021
fairheart:
eulerciva@gmail.com, I will appreciate TOEFL and sop or lor samples too

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by NoFap123: 5:20pm On Feb 23, 2021
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by expression18: 5:24pm On Feb 23, 2021
Please house, a relative is attempting to pay SEVIS FEE for me in the US, but cannot see where to pay with Card. Kindly help me out.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by damtan(m): 5:40pm On Feb 23, 2021
Thanks man
tiptoe1:

After you've gotten your i-20. It needs to be paid before going for your interview
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by EmeritusR: 5:46pm On Feb 23, 2021
LeviAckerman:

Kindly check your email boss

Okay.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by chibertha(f): 6:04pm On Feb 23, 2021
Looks like all April was canceled.

EmeritusR:

Mine was suppose to be towards April ending and it was cancelled as well. You can still be able to wait for more dates to pop up. I am still waiting as well. You can book any date you wish to book as far it is within that 120 days prior to your start of program.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tlomo: 7:43pm On Feb 23, 2021
fairheart:
Thanks Boss. I will appreciate if the documents can be sent to fahala4canada@gmail.com. God bless you more.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by frapzkid: 7:54pm On Feb 23, 2021
chibertha:

Mine wasn't cancelled thankfully. My date is April 29th... I checked my profile no change or how did you know it was cancelled. Did they send a mail or something.
Cos I booked since December 27th
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tonero4urch(m): 8:44pm On Feb 23, 2021
fairheart:

tonero4urch@gmail.com

Thank you for your help.
I appreciate.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by EmeritusR: 8:54pm On Feb 23, 2021
chibertha:

Yes that’s true! cheesy I really do not know why they canceled it. Anyway we just need to rebook again, keep checking dates, they are on their way coming.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by EmeritusR: 8:54pm On Feb 23, 2021
It will be well, no worries at all. I got a friend who was approved yesterday at Lagos (undergraduate). So grateful! He will share his transcripts soon.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Blessings001: 9:29pm On Feb 23, 2021
Good evening all,
Please is their anyone going to GrandRapids Michigan?

If there’s anyone going, pls DM
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JaySterling: 10:54pm On Feb 23, 2021
EmeritusR:
It will be well, no worries at all. I got a friend who was approved yesterday at Lagos (undergraduate). So grateful! He will share his transcripts soon.
Congrats to him

Is he a fresh high school graduate? Or what year did he finish
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 11:08pm On Feb 23, 2021
Spanishmilf:
sigh
I doubt if u understand what I’m saying
Have found a solution thanks
Just do what he asked, it’s for your own benefit.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Hisexcellency20: 11:27pm On Feb 23, 2021
fairheart:

Thank you very much @fairheart.

I did contact my department. My GC told me that, The cost of tuition fees and Health Insurance fees is fluid, and not fixed. They increase every year. Hence, they can't put an exact amount on the letter. What I have on the letter is the stipend and other living cost. But, the tuition fees and Health Insurance are covered by the assistantship, as stated on the letter. Will also print out my conversation with her as evidence.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Spanishmilf(m): 12:32am On Feb 24, 2021
PotentialNurse:

Just do what he asked, it’s for your own benefit.
sorted thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.