Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,120 members, 7,807,388 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction (19755 Views)

Why Do Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction? / Beware Of Fake "Dentistry Course Or Dentists". / 8 Interesting Facts About Dentists And Teeth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Damian457: 11:32am On Jan 10, 2021
Are you sure you visited a Dentist or you visited an auxiliary dental professional?
Sterope:
Do you actually believe all Dentists are ethical?

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by godstino(m): 11:34am On Jan 10, 2021
GhostWisperer:
this one is just looking for clout and shifting the posts.

Not shifting the post. You're the one trying to sound intelligent when you're not. Since you're well travelled, tell us the developing countries where the cost of Dental treatment is way less than what we have here. Mind you, most Dental equipments and materials are imported from the developed world.
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Sterope(f): 11:35am On Jan 10, 2021
Well, maybe but I understood his point. Quick money and an under-regulated sector, I won't be surprised.

godstino:
No. But the Op yesterday erred when he said Nigeria Dentists suggest only extraction. That was a fallacy of hasty generalization.
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by godstino(m): 11:35am On Jan 10, 2021
Sterope:
Well, maybe but I understood his point. Quick money and an under-regulated sector, I won't be surprised.

alright.
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Sterope(f): 11:36am On Jan 10, 2021
grin grin grin
Damian457:
Are you sure you visited a Dentist or you visited an auxiliary dental professional?
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by nedekid: 11:36am On Jan 10, 2021
Asquare84:
My colleague in the office was having serious tooth pains and was on his way to hospital to remove the teeth, some one just suggested he should try native plant fast forward the guy went somewhere in nyanya abuja and the traditional medicine man just plug some leaves and ask him to chew it and gugle it in his mouth and throw it away, to my surprise three large worms came out from my guy mouth and the whole pains just disapear in less than two hour. The whole treatment cost him just 5 k meanwhile the hospital have billed him 15 k for tooth removal.
How is that possible? Did the worms come from his throat? Abi where will worm hide in cavity in a humans tooth? Since you say it happened in Abuja, is your friend aboki that leave their mouths open for flies to lay eggs?
Please dentist here kindly make sense of this guys gist for me.
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by mondee02(m): 11:37am On Jan 10, 2021
JudgeKronos:
Toothache!
The worst experience I ever had. There is nothing I did not take for medication. Dental powder, dental solutions, dental herbal mixtures, fuel, kerosene, urine, Kai kai, name it.... ? I use to carry sensodyne toothpaste in my pocket , midnight crying.. chai.... I’m not talking about shedding tears, I’m talking about real crying like a flogged child. Sometimes it comes like an attack, sometimes it comes like I’m about to have a stroke.. chai .... one night I wanted to pluck out my teeth with plier due to pains.

God bless Dr. Magnus ... Federal School of Dental.

I swear I can imagine exactly everything you said, I've experienced it too, the night before the day I got mine extracted, I couldn't sleep and was only praying for morning so that first thing in the morning I'd run to the dentist �

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by GhostWisperer: 11:37am On Jan 10, 2021
godstino:
Not shifting the post. You're the one trying to sound intelligent when you're not. Since you're well travelled, tell us the developing countries where the cost of Dental treatment is way less than what we have here. Mind you, most Dental equipments and materials are imported from the developed world.

when you said dental treatment without specifying a particular one for easy comparison, I knew you were a bored daft.

How does one compare dental treatment in general between two countries ? Are you writing a PhD thesis?

Why not limit it to a specific dental ailment or tooth replacement.

You're very intelligent.
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Damian457: 11:38am On Jan 10, 2021
Did you read my write up? Extraction cost 4-7k while RCT cost 50-110k. Which will the Dentist make more from if we decide to look at it from your angle?
BoboNogoDie:
Because most don't know anything.

Because that's what they were taught in school

Because it's the easiest thing to do

Because they are lazy

Because they can make quick cash by the procedure.

THAT'S ALL.
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by godstino(m): 11:38am On Jan 10, 2021
GhostWisperer:
when you said dental treatment without specifying a particular one for easy comparison, I knew you were a bored daft. How do one compare dental treatment in general between two countries ? Are you writing a PhD thesis?

Why not limit it to a specific dental ailment or tooth replacement.

You're very intelligent.
compare the cost of RCT bro
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Sewasaunt(f): 11:41am On Jan 10, 2021
Sterope:
It is still irresponsible and unprofessional to suggest extraction. You owe your client that choice and your professionalism.

Your comment is also highly irresponsible ma'am.

Dentists hardly make choices for people, but it is not irresponsible nor unprofessional to suggest it if it the obvious option to save that tooth(and others around it too).

We Nigerians should also improve, let us enlighten ourselves about our oral health, and present early to the clinics when the tooth or teeth can still be saved.

Most people would rather take all sorts of drugs and dental powders sold in traffic or by the road than go for a proper check up.

Then when the tooth is grossly broken, already shaking, causing swelling and severe pain, they run to the hospital and start dictating and making unreasonable demands.

Try to be better, learn to do better, spread the proper message about proper oral health care.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Damian457: 11:43am On Jan 10, 2021
Lol...I deliberately didn’t want to reply the post before. What was removed from the tooth was the pulp tissues not worm.The Pulp tissue is the life of the tooth connected to the blood stream. There is no worm in the tooth.
Can you see how my number 2 reason makes sense now? When such patients come with complications tomorrow and the number two reason apply to him/her, they will start saying Nigerian Dentist like extractions.

nedekid:

How is that possible? Did the worms come from his throat? Abi where will worm hide in cavity in a humans tooth? Since you say it happened in Abuja, is your friend aboki that leave their mouths open for flies to lay eggs?
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by pegix(m): 11:45am On Jan 10, 2021
Good one damian.......alot of misinformation amongst d populace

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Sewasaunt(f): 11:47am On Jan 10, 2021
nedekid:

There is no worm in the tooth, it is a popular gimmick by those selling toothache relieving drugs and concoctions.

I can't count how many of such people still end up in the clinic to have the teeth removed eventually since most of those drugs offer only temporary relief.

Someone needs to do a research on how much Nigerians patronize and respect the opinions of road side healers, chemists and traditional healers COMPARED to medical professionals.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by homesteady(m): 11:48am On Jan 10, 2021
Damian457:
Lol...I deliberately didn’t want to reply the post before. What was removed from the tooth was the pulp tissues not worm.The Pulp tissue is the life of the tooth connected to the blood stream. There is no worm in the tooth.
Can you see how my number 2 reason makes sense now? When such patients come with complications tomorrow and the number two reason apply to him/her, they will start saying Nigerian Dentist like extractions.

Pa3cia this is explanation for what you think is worm.
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Blisteringbeast: 11:50am On Jan 10, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
I put on my intellectual cap as I perused and read between lines while blazing my weed and I must say this op write up is not devoid of intellect

Tooth ache is a pain in the asss though
Nobody should pray for it..

When he do my little sister that year ehnnnn
Nobody dey sleep for that house..once the pain start ....Nobody dey sleep.....
happy Sunday to all lovers of Weed(glakun)
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Sterope(f): 11:52am On Jan 10, 2021
I won't buy dental treatment on the roadside. If I have a dental issue, I would go to a teaching hospital or a proper Dental clinic.

A dentist created a thread of why Dentists offer Extraction based on some assumptions except for that last reason, though. Did you read this thread, including the title? If I visited a Dentist, I would expect to know options including the pros and cons, whether he can offer that service?

I don't want him to 'Always Suggest Extraction' because that is what most of his clients would go for.

Sewasaunt:

Your comment is also highly irresponsible ma'am.

Dentists hardly make choices for people, but it is not irresponsible nor unprofessional to suggest it if it the obvious option to save that tooth(and others around it too).

We Nigerians should also improve, let us enlighten ourselves about our oral health, and present early to the clinics when the tooth or teeth can still be saved.

Most people would rather take all sorts of drugs and dental powders sold in traffic or by the road than go for a proper check up.

Then when the tooth is grossly broken, already shaking, causing swelling and severe pain, they run to the hospital and start dictating and making unreasonable demands.

Try to be better, learn to do better, spread the proper message about proper oral health care.
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by EdCure: 11:54am On Jan 10, 2021
GhostWisperer:
this one is just looking for clout and shifting the posts. No time on a Sunday bantering with a Nigerian dentist. Afterall, Nigeria has one of the highest maternal mortality rates. Deaths from snake bites. Malaria casualties. And one of the countries where doctors reject patients .Or ask for police report before treating gunshot victims. Nah, they need internet validation more than they need reform and researc
Well said.

Nigeria doctors have no ethics or passion for service. They are lazy. just after money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Damian457: 11:55am On Jan 10, 2021
You’re the person that needs to be schooled on the title of the thread. The thread is a Counter thread and I annotated (REsmiley

Sterope:
I won't buy dental treatment on the roadside. If I have a dental issue, I would go to a teaching hospital or a proper Dental clinic.

A dentist created a thread of why Dentists offer Extraction based on some assumptions except for that last reason, though. Did you read this thread, including the title? If I visited a Dentist, I would expect to know options including the pros and cons, whether he can offer that service?

I don't want him to 'Always Suggest Extraction' because that is what most of his clients would go for.

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Sheuns(m): 11:56am On Jan 10, 2021
BoboNogoDie:
Lazy ignorant people.

I don’t think they are lazy. Last time I visited a dentist in luth, she explained both procedures to me. The OP is right on his points, RCT is expensive, the cost is same I was told at LUTH.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Sterope(f): 11:58am On Jan 10, 2021
My apologies
Damian457:
You’re the person that needs to be schooled on the title of the thread. The thread is a Counter thread and I annotated (REsmiley

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by GhostWisperer: 12:01pm On Jan 10, 2021
godstino:
compare the cost of RCT bro
there we go again!!! What kind of RCT are you talking about? There are different types and have different costs.

There's Anterior RCT, there's Posterior RCT , Single Sitting RCT and Re-RCT.

Oga doctor, these RCTs cost different prices and varies even within a particular country.

If I begin to lash you like Market thief now, e go be like say I just dey provoke anyhow.

Mr showoff, you're as guilty almost as the Nigeria government. The Nigeria healthcare started failing from our schools, the teaching and how many of your parents pushed majority of you there to study medicine for money and family clout and never for passion.

That's why you're the most striking doctors in the world even though you're the top government earners.

Done.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by sonofthunder: 12:12pm On Jan 10, 2021
Damian457:
Good morning, This is a counter thread to this topic:

https://www.nairaland.com/6354106/why-nigerian-dentists-always-suggest

There are basically 3 reasons why Nigerian Dentists will rather do extraction than a root canal treatment and they include;

1. Cost: The average cost of an anterior teeth root canal is 22k + 35k for crowning and 28k + 35k for posterior teeth in a GOVERNMENT HOSPITAL, Private clinics should be x2 or x3 of the quoted price. For those that don’t know the meaning of crowning it’s a procedure to reenforce the tooth structure after a root canal procedure.
So the question is how many persons can afford to part with over 57k to treat only one tooth when the minimum wage is 33k?? No Government Health Insurance for citizens, The so called NHIS is in shambles, the last time I checked some HMOs in NHIS don’t cover RCT. Payment for Dental care is out of pocket.
Sometimes when you tell patients about the whole root canal procedure they are excited till it gets to money part, some will even be like 57k for just one tooth? Please just remove it.

2. Deteriorated Condition: The first source of help for Nigerian Dental Patients anytime they feel pain is the “Chemist” , some even go to extent of getting dental formulas, powders and concoctions (Mama Agness Dental Formula) to alleviate their pain. Pain is a symptom not a pathology, when you apply those formulas and concoction, the pain may subside but the disease process will continue. Sometimes patient delay in seeking treatment and when they eventually come the tooth is already grossly compromised and are even Retained Roots.

3. Availability of Equipments: We all know healthcare is not a priority in Nigeria. Our hospitals are in shambles and in bad conditions. I will say this without any apology, the only way to get quality medical treatment in Nigeria is via private hospitals if you can afford their fees. Government hospitals are Jokes.
How many governments hospitals have OPG machines? Digital Xray machines or Even functioning dental chairs? How many Nigerians can afford to pay 90-114k per tooth in a Private Clinic to get quality dental care?

The question should be directed to the Government who have kept the citizens in perpetual poverty, with no health care insurance and has made it impossible for them to afford basic life needs.

Let me know If you think otherwise.

Thanks for this exposition but I still think our doctors can do a much better job in respect to patient's health and treatments.

Are you a doctor sir?
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Zeeknow3245(m): 12:14pm On Jan 10, 2021
I rather lose all my teeth than an eye .
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by DrFunmisticGlow: 12:22pm On Jan 10, 2021
BoboNogoDie:
In Nigeria, we don't have doctors. What we have are either ignorant trial by error medical reps or hungry and greedy veteran medical reps.

If you fall sick and you go to any so-called hospital in Nigeria, 90% of those reps will immediately place you on MALARIA and/or typhoid treatments without even conducting any tests. So many people have been slowly killed and so many now have resistance for this malaria drugs.

The olodo ignorant dentists too will always result to extraction because that's the easiest approach.

Lazy People.
you are the ignorant one here.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by DrFunmisticGlow: 12:23pm On Jan 10, 2021
sonofthunder:

Thanks for this exposition but I still think our doctors can do a much better job in respect to patient's health and treatments.

Are you a doctor sir?
they're doing the best they can with what is available on ground which is almost nothing. All healthworkers are.

For you to ask for more, patients must give more.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by DrFunmisticGlow: 12:25pm On Jan 10, 2021
GhostWisperer:
there we go again!!! What kind of RCT are you talking about? There are different types and have different costs.

There's Anterior RCT, there's Posterior RCT , Single Sitting RCT and Re-RCT.

Oga doctor, these RCTs cost different prices and varies even within a particular country.

If I begin to lash you like Market thief now, e go be like say I just dey provoke anyhow.

Mr showoff, you're as guilty almost as the Nigeria government. The Nigeria healthcare started failing from our schools, the teaching and how many of your parents pushed majority of you there to study medicine for money and family clout and never for passion.

That's why you're the most striking doctors in the world even though you're the top government earners.

Done.
we are not top government earners
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by KosiGee(m): 12:27pm On Jan 10, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
I put on my intellectual cap as I perused and read between lines while blazing my weed and I must say this op write up is not devoid of intellect

Tooth ache is a pain in the asss though
Nobody should pray for it..

When he do my little sister that year ehnnnn
Nobody dey sleep for that house..once the pain start ....Nobody dey sleep.....

You are not a good and a caring older brother.

Why didn’t you let your younger sister benefit from the therapeutic effects of your ganja?? A puff of that weed from your lil sis would’ve done her a lot of good.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by DrFunmisticGlow: 12:29pm On Jan 10, 2021
pegix:
Good one damian.......alot of misinformation amongst d populace
a LOT sadly,

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by Mcanie: 12:29pm On Jan 10, 2021
Thanks for enlightening the ignorant. when I saw the first thread I was about doing this. Thanks for saving me the stress.
Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by toscolee(m): 12:35pm On Jan 10, 2021
BoboNogoDie:
In Nigeria, we don't have doctors. What we have are either ignorant trial by error medical reps or hungry and greedy veteran medical reps.

If you fall sick and you go to any so-called hospital in Nigeria, 90% of those reps will immediately place you on MALARIA and/or typhoid treatments without even conducting any tests. So many people have been slowly killed and so many now have resistance for this malaria drugs.

The olodo ignorant dentists too will always result to extraction because that's the easiest approach.

Lazy People.

This is so unfair.
Is it not the same Nigerian doctors that developed countries are wooing.
Don't blame any Nigerian for giving less than the best.
I'm self employed, but I can't give people my best because most can't afford it.
Your 'I'm a blunt person' could be the lack of emotional intelligence.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Dentists Always Suggest Extraction by toprealman: 12:35pm On Jan 10, 2021
Oga you have blown things out of proportion here.
It will cost you £25-£25 to get a root canal done in the UK.
In Nigeria, with less than 20K you get it fixed in a private setting. It will cost less than 15K to do the procedure in a government hospital.
Maintaining a good oral hygiene is not as expensive as you have made it sound.
Poverty is a thing of the mind, let's create the awareness that an average Nigerian can still enjoy good dental hygiene. It is not a luxury.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman Gives Birth To Quintuplets In Kogi, Stranded (Photo) / PHOTOS: Unknown Patients At National Hospital, Abuja / How Insufficient Anti-snake Venom, Treatment Centres Fuels Deaths In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.