Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,769 members, 7,806,120 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:45 AM

Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? (6137 Views)

Poll: Which do u prefer???

Windows: 50% (13 votes)
Mac: 30% (8 votes)
(K)(X)(EDU) Ubuntu: 19% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Windows 10 Problems And Solutions (official Microsoft Windows 10 links added) / How To Fix Windows 7 Not Genuine Error-“copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine" / "you May Be A Victim Of Software Counterfeiting. This Copy Of Windows Did Not Pa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Ivvie: 10:09pm On Jul 18, 2007
@Ralvy

Norton Internet security does not protect against anything. That's a marketing program and I believe that expires every 365 days. You need the server protection for your machine as well as a decent firewall. I use HP and I had it trouble free for 3 years running my PLM and MCAD programs hassle free till I bought that joke microsoft calls Zune and I lost all my Flexlm's and none of my executable programs could run. Microsoft is not reliable and Vista is unacceptably worse. With regards to firewall, I can only vouch for one but comes with a price. The other is free and its undeniably remarkable. They don't make money off individuals but companies running server spaces.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by africanboy(m): 10:23pm On Jul 18, 2007
Mr Adewale Afolabi

adewaleafolabi:

africanboy who said dreamweaver doesn't run on linux ? i use linux and i have been running flash and dreamweaver on ubuntu linux 6.10 and i haven't had a problem ever since. grin
Do you know why there are few commercial games and applications for linux ? Its because most of the software companies are one way or the other tied to microsoft and they dear not support a different platform or else they'll get their a** sued.
And also the population of linux users were not that much but with the increasing size of linux users, expect to see more commercial titles for it. grin grin

I am not neither blind nor dumb, but I do not see Linux listed on this page http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/systemreqs/

Just another page I stumbled upon, http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum40/697.htm
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by dtwsola(m): 1:09am On Jul 19, 2007
@adewaleafolabi, Dreamweaver and most other Adobe apps do not run natively on Linux. You're either using an emulator eg VMWare or an instruction translator like Wine or Crossover, or maybe you just think you're running Linux, and are not.

For people complaining about apps and hardware not working under Linux, it has absolutely nothing to do with Linux, and much more to do with greedy companies who don't bother to write drivers or port their software to open source users. I say Bleep 'em. It's their loss. You can pretty much get any equivalent app from Windows on a Linux OS, and if you really need most anything else like games you can run it through WINE without taking a performance hit. And most of the hardware drivers are written by Linux and coding gurus and can be found easily on the internet. I havent been back to Naija in 6 years, so I don't know the status of internet connection speeds. You'd really want a reasonably fast connection to get the latest versions and updates of Linux. That might be a hindrance if speeds still suck.
The thing about Linux is, even though it has become more user friendly, you still need a bit of smarts to get it to work well. You must definitely be comfortable working with command line as opposed to everything with gui. If like me, you like tinkering, you'd have no problem though and you'd most likely end up despising Windoze.

As for Macs, I do like them, but I prefer building my own pc, but I am currently consider buying a MacBook.

The only certain thing is that Micro$oft Windoze Sucks!
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:31am On Jul 19, 2007
u guys don't get me wrong i said it runs on linux i never said there was a native installer for it. See the linux you see today was as a result of community effort. Even though manufacturers have refused to support linux initially we've survived without them
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Ralvy(m): 6:41pm On Jul 19, 2007
africanboy:

Mr Adewale Afolabi

I am not neither blind nor dumb, but I do not see Linux listed on this page http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/systemreqs/

Just another page I stumbled upon, http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum40/697.htm

i know VTP7 is adware supported. I use VTP6,
Thnx anywaiz
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by zoraro(m): 8:13pm On Jul 22, 2007
I am surprised that AVG and Avast antivirus are rated high here. There's not much difference between them and Norton really. The true super antivirus are Kaspersky,NOD32,Avira,
For Firewall, try Zonealarm or Comodo which is free.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Ralvy(m): 4:16pm On Jul 23, 2007
zoraro:

I am surprised that AVG and Avast antivirus are rated high here. There's not much difference between them and Norton really. The true super antivirus are Kaspersky,NOD32,Avira,
For Firewall, try Zonealarm or Commodo which is free.

thanks Zozaro, someone mentioned those Antivirus softwares to me, I am about tu try them.
I hope you know there's nothing that can be compared to Norton Internet Security. It protects you from almost everthn, the prblm is that the update patch files are really large,
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by zoraro(m): 8:23pm On Jul 23, 2007
@Ralvy,

yea, i know that NIS is good. but the anti-virus programs i mentioned earlier can detect/remove more virus strains than Norton. another problem with Norton is that it uses more system resources than this ones. Norton is a virus on its own because it is very difficult to uninstall most times. ok, include Bit defender in the list of super anti-virus also.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Elgaxton(m): 10:41am On Jul 24, 2007
[size=18pt]Please use NOD32[/size]
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by hayprof(m): 11:03am On Jul 24, 2007
[size=20pt]U Serious?[/size]
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jul 24, 2007
why do people write viruses and spyware?
1) for fame
2)to steal information
3)because they are psychos who thrive on destruction

if i was writing a virus/spyware/adware, I'd want it to achieve maximum spread.so which OS would i choose as my medium? linux(used by 5% or less of the world) or windows(used by 98% of the world).?

in the end, windows vullnerabilities are not so much about it's being poorly coded, but about its ubiquity.

also, linux users have to be seriously computer savvy.this is not the case with windows users.your average windows user has probably never accessed his program files or system 32 folder. an unsophisticated user is far more likely to infect his system than a sophisticated one.

if linux becomes more popular, or more dummy friendly, we might see the same vulnerabilioties in linux.

remember that the IT security race is one of reaction ie the antivirus folks create solutions after viruses have been discovered.so downloadig the latest definitions won't always help.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by candylips(m): 9:27am On May 18, 2009
Windows Vista has finally frustrated me to get a Mac and now i wonder why i never did many years ago
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by esquire(m): 6:16pm On May 19, 2009
@oyb
if i was writing a virus/spyware/adware, I'd want it to achieve maximum spread.so which OS would i choose as my medium? linux(used by 5% or less of the world) or windows(used by 98% of the world).?

in the end, windows vullnerabilities are not so much about it's being poorly coded, but about its ubiquity.

Do you mean linux that runs on 90% of the worlds server which includes google, yahoo,nasa etc is not worth checking out.
And i think hacking those servers will yield much valuable information which may fetch more money IMHO

Check out windows server and linux server both runing the same set of apache,php,mysql and check out their vunerabilities which was high on windows server than in linux server and loopholes are quickly patches in linux than in windows and the server and the desktop of linux runs the same kernel.

Linux has always been around and those writing those those virus codes see the loops hole that MS decided not to close because if do not come back to them how can they make more money.

Look it from this angle, the distructive thing linux does is that once you install it for anybody the will never come back and if you install windows for people they'll always come back for one fault or the other and lookat it from a technician point of view how will you eat if theres no fault whiich mostly stem from the OS. So MS knows what they are doing. If theres nothing like virus/spyware/keyloger/trojan/worm there will never be antivirus company so bill gate is creating job opportunities grin wink. Am glad i have linux
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by bigrovar(m): 6:45pm On May 19, 2009
@ true talk my brother , even MS knows that when it comes to security and stability, linux comes first that is why

www.live.com runs linux [url]http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.live.com%2F[/url]

http://www.zunescene.com/ runs llinux centOS [url=http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zunescene.com%2F] http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zunescene.com%2F[/url]

http://www.microsoftweblog.com runs linux Redhat [url]http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoftweblog.com[/url]

MS secretly runs linux for security and stability dem go come dey tell people say na dem product dey secured pass , what an irony
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by flyuche(m): 9:40pm On May 19, 2009
my vista has crashed on me 4 times! the OS no even respect my high spec laptop grin
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by init4dmoni(m): 11:10pm On May 19, 2009
post ur computer specs to see weda its ur computer dats too slow for vista angry
as for mine its a intel core 2 duo processor T5800 @ 2.0 GHz
2GB DDR2 ram not to mention the 800 MHz fsb plus 2MB L2 cache
250 GB HDD
hope dis dosen't make some people tink i'm boasting (maybe not grin)
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Nobody: 8:47am On May 20, 2009
init4dmoni:

post ur computer specs to see weda its ur computer dats too slow for vista angry
as for mine its a intel core 2 duo processor T5800 @ 2.0 GHz
2GB DDR2 ram not to mention the 800 MHz fsb plus 2MB L2 cache
250 GB HDD
hope dis dosen't make some people tink i'm boasting (maybe not grin)

intel core2duo 2ghz
4gb ddr2 ram
4gb sd card dedicated to readyboost
500gb 5400rpm hdd(the 7200 rpm is slightly thicker, so i couldn't take a chance on ordering it undecided- i've upgraded twice from 160gb to 320 gb to the current size)
nvidia quadro fx 1500M 256 mb video card
4mb l2 cache

and the fking machine is obsolete! angry

na those new generation dell precisions i dey eye, but at close to $4000 a pop, and with naiora vs dollar being what it is. . .will prolly eventually hit up dell certified refurbished.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Nobody: 8:57am On May 20, 2009
@ esquire,

who do cyber criminals target these days? corporations , or users like you and me? do users like you and me have servers, or personal pcs?

yes, linux is good for the server room, but will it ever make it into the office proper?

we've had this debate before anway. when it is financially viable to code games and killer productivity applications for linux, y'all can bring on the noise smiley
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Nobody: 8:59am On May 20, 2009
OS holy wars don begin again! grin

this place go dey hot like religion section cheesy

my OS pass your OS

na my OS users dey enter valhalla your OS users dey enter blue screen cheesy
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by candylips(m): 9:35am On May 20, 2009
no need for any holy wars here MS Vista is the most shitty OS ever made by man
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by bigrovar(m): 1:04pm On May 20, 2009
oyb:

@ esquire,

who do cyber criminals target these days? corporations , or users like you and me? do users like you and me have servers, or personal pcs?

Cyber criminals target the most vulnerable platform. Vista has been an improvement, but windows xp which majority of people use is a black hole of security vulnerabilities. but people prefer it because vista for all its security gives you a worse user experience that makes you better of with xp+virus

yes, linux is good for the server room, but will it ever make it into the office proper?

we've had this debate before anway. when it is financially viable to code games and killer productivity applications for linux, y'all can bring on the noise smiley

the above lines of reasoning contradict each other. no body runs games in a proper office. and in a proper office linux is more than capable and its even cheaper to run. I work as a sysad for a school www.aust.edu.ng that runs linux on all our computer labs and office computers. we have never had a problem. MS representatives came to our school recently and even they were amazed at what we have been able to achieve with linux and open source. the average computer user don't need extreme computer games, even here in Nigeria very few people have machines with the power to run core games, for the light gamers there are enough games in linuxs to make them happy ,

again Oyb . i like you , you have a good heart (or so it seems to me) but you speak of something you know little about , it would be better if you dont speak at all, remember the world is watching smiley
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by esquire(m): 2:07pm On May 20, 2009
@bigbrovar
the above lines of reasoning contradict each other. no body runs games in a proper office. and in a proper office linux is more than capable and its even cheaper to run. I work as a sysad for a school www.aust.edu.ng that runs linux on all our computer labs and office computers. we have never had a problem. MS representatives came to our school recently and even they were amazed at what we have been able to achieve with linux and open source. the average computer user don't need extreme computer games, even here in Nigeria very few people have machines with the power to run core games, for the light gamers there are enough games in linuxs to make them happy ,

God bless you brotherman

@oyb
we've had this debate before anway. when it is financially viable to code games and killer productivity applications for linux, y'all can bring on the noise

There is no application that i want to use that is not available under linux so what is the noise about

Bigbrovar talk pass you with all these over protectedness of windows na your papa get am grin wink
What we told bigbrovar then was get linux and see what am talking bout in windows i have been there done that cool
Linux rules
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by esquire(m): 2:10pm On May 20, 2009
When i say get linux, i know you will not cos you are going to hide under the facade of the boss will not permit you or stuffs like that. Or that your work iss enough to keep you busy smiley
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 20, 2009
esquire:

When i say get linux, i know you will not cos you are going to hide under the facade of the boss will not permit you or stuffs like that. Or that your work iss enough to keep you busy smiley

i will, eventually, i do pretty much as i want where pcs are concerned. i'm running vmware on windows 7 right now, so i just might install linux in a virtual machine and see just what all the fuss is about. the issue is much more fundamental than that - what are teh exact gains i will get from using linux? will it boost my productivity in any way? will it improve the way i organize my files, navigate my computer, browse the net, play music, etal? how will it impact on my user experienec? thats what wikll determine if i consider it worth it to learn how to use it. i have no problems with steep learning curves as long as there are tangible benefits beyond the admiiitedly fab eye candy and low hardware requirements.

the above lines of reasoning contradict each other. no body runs games in a proper office.

i'm simply covering all bases - leisure and productivity. rest assured, a lot of peeps in proper offces run games after hours while waiting for traffic to clear.

to put it in the simples terms, in spite of all linux's advances, developers of the world's most popular productivity applications/utilities/ games (most of whom probably have linux machines) still cannot see the viabilty of porting their apps to linux. MS office has been ported to Macs, there are user surveys about the viability of porting AutoCAd to Macs.

in the end, i will keep away from linux for the same reason i keep away from 64 bit windows, too many of my favorite utilities /games/ applications not supported. smiley

how do they say - no one s more fanatical than a new convert smiley

as to vista, as far as i'm concerned, it got a bum rap. the worst prioblem imho, was ram. yes, i am maxed out at 4gb, but i am a performance freak. 2gb will serve. anyhow, i'm running windows 7 right now, only bummer is as usual, some of my fav tools are broken mostly because 'this is an unrecognized version of windows'

anyway, BBB, u are prolly right, i am a user, not an admn, so for the most part servers etal are over ny head.
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:33pm On May 20, 2009

tongue
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 20, 2009
^^^^^

wey that laptop hunter video when you need it cheesy grin
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by swift1: 4:04pm On May 20, 2009
@ thiefofhearts, this is a macbook obviously. But your point is , ?
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:19pm On May 20, 2009
means windows is for poor lame people  cheesy
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 20, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

means windows is for poor lame people  cheesy

apple fanchick alert1 grin
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:20pm On May 20, 2009
tongue tongue tongue

Enjoy your virus
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by candylips(m): 6:51pm On May 20, 2009
soemtimes i feel people actually like and enjoy the virus. there is a much better option staring them in the face but they are just too duhh to realise it
Re: Are You Sick And Tired Of Windows? by esquire(m): 8:07pm On May 20, 2009
@Oyb
what are teh exact gains i will get from using linux? will it boost my productivity in any way? will it improve the way i organize my files, navigate my computer, browse the net, play music, etal? how will it impact on my user experienec? thats what wikll determine if i consider it worth it to learn how to use it.

Here we go just like i thought you'd chicken out.

@oyb
how will it impact on my user experienec?
You can ask bigbrovar that he was once a windows power user till he saw the light.

Look lets be down with ourselves linux is more than what some blogger just write some offhandish and unsolicited reviews about, imaging a web blogger that wrote a review on ubuntu intrepid and after the conclusion he said cd/dvd burner was absent amid other programms i mean if he truely installed linux like he claimed he would that there was brasero cd/dvd burner wwith multisession capability out of the box.

@Thiefofheart
nice screenshot

Plus i can make my system look like a mac with the same sound scheme, boot screen, login screen and with variety of dock to choose from but its not worth the trouble though. This is just to show the flexibility of linux. Cheerio

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Brand New Hp G6 Laptop 4 Sale(abuja) / Zinox Computers Address / Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera Browser?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.