Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,527 members, 7,808,907 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:14 PM

Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It (2724 Views)

Electric Car: Electric Car Battery Exploded In Florida USA / Moment A Parked All-electric Tesla Model S Car Exploded In A Garage / Li Xang: A Chinese Car With A Sleek Design And Amazing Features (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by gonkin(m): 10:54am On Jan 10, 2021
I've been making use of Everstart 75ah battery since early 2018. So the battery started giving me issues on the 2nd of January 2021. Leave it overnight and I can only crank twice. Use radio with car off for for 20mins car won't start. Checked the voltage it's as low as 12.3 to 12.1. When car is running, it's 14.0v with ac it maintains at 13.8/13.9v and full beams + ac and all accessories even 100w built in inverter. Lowest I've seen is 13.4v and that's with full beam flood lights. Without the flood lights it's 13.8v

Due to age I decided to get a new battery on the 4th of this month. I wanted the same brand. I went to a battery store, the vendor tested my alternator to confirm my claims. Alternator was good. So i asked for Everstart, that's 24k,but he recommended FREEDOM CRAFT, 25K. So i went for freedom. Immediately I put it in, the car cranks superb. So when I got home I decided to run a car vacuum off the battery to see its full potential. Vacuumed for almost an hour with radio on. Its dropped from 12.77 to 12.69v. I was ok. Now I tried the other test. Engine on, its 14.0v, with Ac its 13.9v with ac + headlight its 13.6 with all accessories its 12.78 for a new battery. So i tool the alternator apart and checked it. All seems fine. Putting it back a like well what the heck. That was 2days ago. Still drove around fine.
Yesterday I drove to the market about 3miles then back all was fine.
At 3pm I decided to just sit and chill at home with the ac. Car on idle after 10mins I turned off the car and went in. Barely 5mins after I heard a shuussssh like high water pressure outside didn't even know it was from my truck till my neighbour raised an alarm. I looked out the window and saw the smoke. Rushed to get my extinguisher. Haven't used it for 2 years and the guage still showed charged it was empty. Then I resorted to sand. Popped the hood and there was fire. Throwing in sand to put out the fire before it reaches a fuel line. Quite close to the fuel return line. After putting out the fire. My first suspect was the battery. Cuz where I work we've seen a lot of these explosions from battery from gas Gensets. Sometimes they just explode and it wasnt funny. These things kept exploding till the company changed all the batteries explosion stopped. I definitely knew this from experience. The battery had weaker plates. And i love my charging voltage at 14.1max due to ecu and other sensors.

Well I was quite pissed. Just glad though the damage is something I could fix myself.

Blade for fan clutch (melted abit)
Battery cables (easy fix)
The AFM(Air flow meter) terminals melted but i soldered through the night. If it doesn't work. Uses the same as orobo camry
Air filter element.
Few vacuum hoses
Battery seat

Other than that. Its nothing complex. Though I can fix it all myself except the paint

Im just giving an advice to stay off FREEDOM CRAFT go for the brand you recognise.

9 Likes

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by gonkin(m): 10:56am On Jan 10, 2021
When the alternator was checked. Also I checked for leakages /short circuit

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by Skyfornia(m): 11:01am On Jan 10, 2021
shocked
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:03am On Jan 10, 2021
gonkin:
I've been making use of Everstart 75ah battery since early 2018. So the battery started giving me issues on the 2nd of January 2021. Leave it overnight and I can only crank twice. Use radio with car off for for 20mins car won't start. Checked the voltage it's as low as 12.3 to 12.1. When car is running, it's 14.0v with ac it maintains at 13.8/13.9v and full beams + ac and all accessories even 100w built in inverter. Lowest I've seen is 13.4v and that's with full beam flood lights. Without the flood lights it's 13.8v

Due to age I decided to get a new battery on the 4th of this month. I wanted the same brand. I went to a battery store, the vendor tested my alternator to confirm my claims. Alternator was good. So i asked for Everstart, that's 24k,but he recommended FREEDOM CRAFT, 25K. So i went for freedom. Immediately I put it in, the car cranks superb. So when I got home I decided to run a car vacuum off the battery to see its full potential. Vacuumed for almost an hour with radio on. Its dropped from 12.77 to 12.69v. I was ok. Now I tried the other test. Engine on, its 14.0v, with Ac its 13.9v with ac + headlight its 13.6 with all accessories its 12.78 for a new battery. So i tool the alternator apart and checked it. All seems fine. Putting it back a like well what the heck. That was 2days ago. Still drove around fine.
At 3pm I decided to just sit and chill at home with the ac. Car on idle after 10mins I turned off the car and went in. Barely 5mins after I heard a shuussssh like high water pressure outside didn't even know it was from my truck till my neighbour raised an alarm. I looked out the window and saw the smoke. Rushed to get my extinguisher. Haven't used it for 2 years and the guage still showed charged it was empty. Then I resorted to sand. Popped the hood and there was fire. Throwing in sand to put out the fire before it reaches a fuel line. Quite close to the fuel return line. After putting out the fire. My first suspect was the battery. Cuz where I work we've seen a lot of these explosions from battery from gas Gensets. Sometimes they just explode and it wasnt funny. These things kept exploding till the company changed all the batteries explosion stopped. I definitely knew this from experience. The battery had weaker plates. And i love my charging voltage at 14.1max due to ecu and other sensors.

Well I was quite pissed. Just glad though the damage is something I could fix myself.

The AFM(Air flow meter) terminals melted but i soldered through the night. If it doesn't work. Uses the same as orobo camry
Air filter element.
Few vacuum hoses
Battery seat

Other than that. Its nothing complex. Though I can fix it all myself except the paint

Im just giving an advice to stay off FREEDOM CRAFT go for the brand you recognise.

Wow, that was a close call. I have always had my reservation over changing your battery brand. A kazeem once told me to do that and I told him it's not the battery, it's probably something else. Turns out it was the alternator then.
The funny part is, a lot of people don't pay attention to their battery position or care for it. And it can be dangerous! I have seen a car user that places his battery on just the bare metal. I had to ask him what will happen when that metal becomes too hot for the battery to handle? Boom!

Thank God it wasn't very serious. Thanks for the advice too. Thunder fire FREEDOM. grin

5 Likes

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by gonkin(m): 11:04am On Jan 10, 2021
Output of alternator on idle 14.0
With Ac 13.8
Headlight 13.3
Full beam. 12.9

Even my dying battery wasnt like that

4 Likes

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by yanabasee(m): 11:07am On Jan 10, 2021
Are you a mechanical engineer??

I'd like to know how to fix my car by myself oh... really, I see and admire that, whether you are rich or poor...

And thank God that there wasn't much casualties....

2 Likes

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by dawnomike(m): 11:09am On Jan 10, 2021
gonkin:
Output of alternator on idle 14.0
With Ac 13.8
Headlight 13.3
Full beam. 12.9

Even my dying battery wasnt like that
Thank God you did not lose your car... Pls always stick to the brand you are used to no matter the recommendation of the seller. The sellers are out to sell the goods they have on shelf and nothing more
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:14am On Jan 10, 2021
yanabasee:

I'd like to know how to fix my car by myself oh... really, I see and admire that, whether you are rich or poor...

It's a no brainer. I fix most of the issues I have with my car myself too. The only thing I don't tamper with is my engine and some sensitive sensors. You need to make YouTube your friend.

8 Likes

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by gonkin(m): 11:16am On Jan 10, 2021
yanabasee:

Nope not rich. Just give it a similar attention u give a woman.
Slightest change in sound. I inspect and go online for similar experiences.
Also im electrical but that doesn't limit my capacity. I'm really good at mechanical. Nobody touches my vehicle but me. Never seen a workshop in almost 4 years. Just glad I diddn't lose my vehicle

6 Likes

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by gonkin(m): 11:18am On Jan 10, 2021
dawnomike:
Thank God you did not lose your car... Pls always stick to the brand you are used to no matter the recommendation of the seller. The sellers are out to sell the goods they have on shelf and nothing more

No mind them. Flee from freedom otherwise they'll put u in bondage. Car wasn't even running.

Their cells are too thin
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by gonkin(m): 11:20am On Jan 10, 2021
The hood

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by AutoElectNG: 12:14pm On Jan 10, 2021
gonkin:

Air filter element.
Few vacuum hoses
Battery seat

Thanks for sharing.

Serious question. Have you noticed the battery sellers will willingly reduce the price of the new battery by 2 to 3 thousand naira if you turn in your old battery.

Why do they do that?

Thank God you noticed and saved the rest of the vehicle.

I just followed you, because I love the content you dished out.

2 Likes

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by aieromon(m): 2:16pm On Jan 10, 2021
gonkin:

No mind them. Flee from freedom otherwise they'll put u in bondage. Car wasn't even running.

Their cells are too thin

Do you think the load stress on the battery in just a few days of purchase could have contributed to this?

Glad that you were able to resolve the situation in time.

What happened to your LPG project?
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by gonkin(m): 5:21pm On Jan 10, 2021
aieromon:

Do you think the load stress on the battery in just a few days of purchase could have contributed to this?

Glad that you were able to resolve the situation in time.

What happened to your LPG project?

Yeah I've did the wiring and all. Put my 100ah inverter battery in. Check it for shorts and cranked the engine. Its started up nicely. Though without the alternator cuz i didn't connect the drive belt. The neighbours we surprised on how I got the engine running barley 24hrs after the incident. Gonna get the rest components tomorrow. The AFM sensor/maf is what really took me time to wire.

As for the lpg project. I tried it, though its a 4.0l inline 6 engine and takes a lot of lpg. The engine didn't run smoothly. If i had a smaller engine say 1.6 that would have produced better results. But the 4.0 just wasn't getting enough gas. And as for engine loads. I change all my instruments lights to led. Just headlamp not running led but I'll deal with that later

1 Like

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by gonkin(m): 5:22pm On Jan 10, 2021
AutoElectNG:

Thanks for sharing.

Serious question. Have you noticed the battery sellers will willingly reduce the price of the new battery by 2 to 3 thousand naira if you turn in your old battery.

Why do they do that?

Thank God you noticed and saved the rest of the vehicle.

I just followed you, because I love the content you dished out.

Yep. They purchased my old one for 4k and I paid 21k
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by lagusboyyy(m): 7:36pm On Jan 10, 2021
gonkin:
The hood
I'm happy for you bro, you did not loose your car.

Whats the name of this car bro?
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by cluewebhost(m): 7:47pm On Jan 10, 2021
You just reminded me I should get a multimeter tomorrow
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by gonkin(m): 9:12pm On Jan 10, 2021
lagusboyyy:
I'm happy for you bro, you did not loose your car.

Whats the name of this car bro?

Its a 1992 toyota landcruiser i6 4.0l

3 Likes

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by lagusboyyy(m): 9:22pm On Jan 10, 2021
gonkin:

Its a 1992 toyota landcruiser i6 4.0l
Thats a machine.
*THUMBS UP*
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by DelTel(m): 11:41pm On Jan 10, 2021
gonkin:

Air filter element.
Few vacuum hoses
Battery seat

So sorry for your sad experience.

So many inferior batteries with weak cells in the market (like other goods actually). Standard Organisation of Nigeria SON is not doing anything about it except enforcing that country of manufacture be written on batteries. Whereas importers tell manufacturers to reduce the cells therein.

Sadly, most battery retailers stock and sell the inferior batteries more than original batteries because the inferior batteries are often supplied to them on credit, and they also make more profit from it.

A simple test to know an inferior battery is to carry batteries of same size and compare the weight (for instance, no battery weighs as much as TRANE battery in West Africa).

3 Likes

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by gonkin(m): 12:02am On Jan 11, 2021
DelTel:

So sorry for your sad experience.

So many inferior batteries with weak cells in the market (like other goods actually). Standard Organisation of Nigeria SON is not doing anything about it except enforcing that country of manufacture be written on batteries. Whereas importers tell manufacturers to reduce the cells therein.

Sadly, most battery retailers stock and sell the inferior batteries more than original batteries because the inferior batteries are often supplied to them on credit, and they also make more profit from it.

A simple test to know an inferior battery is to carry batteries of same size and compare the weight (for instance, no battery weighs as much as TRANE battery in West Africa).

Lol. I remember trane that year.
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by gonkin(m): 12:04am On Jan 11, 2021
lagusboyyy:
Thats a machine.

*THUMBS UP*

I really plan to do an upgrade. Its quite simple with these vehicles and it's something I could do myself but finances are a mess and the economy is a wreck

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by DelTel(m): 12:22am On Jan 11, 2021
gonkin:

Oh really you know Trane battery, what year and what was the experience.

What is the size of your vehicle battery.

Your location please, if I may ask.
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by gonkin(m): 5:15am On Jan 11, 2021
DelTel:

Oh really you know Trane battery, what year and what was the experience.

What is the size of your vehicle battery.

Your location please, if I may ask.

My dad had a mazda 323. I was quite young. Didn't know anything about cars. My brain used to think it was a big tudor battery

3 Likes

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by DelTel(m): 10:08am On Jan 11, 2021
gonkin:

My dad had a mazda 323. I was quite young. Didn't know anything about cars. My brain used to think it was a big tudor battery

You are right grin grin grin, so many old folks still come to buy Trane batteries as they know the quality.

Truly, it doesn't have any connection to Tudor battery.

Trane battery used to be manufactured in Sweden until factory was moved to Thailand as minimum wage got too high for production.

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by lagusboyyy(m): 11:43am On Jan 11, 2021
gonkin:

I really plan to do an upgrade. Its quite simple with these vehicles and it's something I could do myself but finances are a mess and the economy is a wreck
you mean you want to tweak it to the pictures you uploaded?
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by gonkin(m): 10:24pm On Jan 11, 2021
lagusboyyy:
you mean you want to tweak it to the pictures you uploaded?

Yep very simple. The current springs are weak and getting weaker and if i wanna change it I wanna make it taller. I already did the math on requirements only thing I may have issues getting is the radius arm correction plates. Other than that, it's just springs, shocks and sway extensions. Quite easy. Took it apart one day just for fun to see how hard it would be. Other than radius arms, the set up could take me a few hours. Then get 17" rims and better profile tyres. 15" sucks and its hard to get replacement.

Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by larrypourl(m): 11:22pm On Jan 11, 2021
gonkin:

I grew up seeing this battery in our remotes and wall clock. I hardly see them around then, Dad stuck them in his drawer. Quality battery I must say.
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by sheu01: 11:47am On Jan 12, 2021
gonkin:

How much is TRANE battery ... Pls any idea about d current PRICE
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by NaijautoDotCom(m): 12:06pm On Jan 12, 2021
It is really scary!
Re: Car Battery Exploded And Almost Took My Car With It by aieromon(m): 12:33pm On Jan 12, 2021
sheu01:

How much is TRANE battery ... Pls any idea about d current PRICE

https://www.nairaland.com/4644414/trane-cene-automotive-batteries

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need A Low Budget Vehicle For Farming / Help!!! Need To Transport A Car Within Nigeria / Steering Rack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.