Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,500 members, 7,781,511 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:55 PM

My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. (2182 Views)

Husband Fills Wife's Car With Concrete After She Changed Her Surname For Job / How Ladies Give My Fiancé 'Green Light' In My Presence, Not Minding My Ring / My Fiancé Disregards Me, How Do I Handle This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by skyreaper: 1:44am On Jan 11, 2021
My fiancé wants me to use my first name as my surname for our children instead of my initial surname, is it a bad idea, please advise. She said she likes my first name instead.
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by meobizy(f): 2:07am On Jan 11, 2021
I've hardly heard of this situation. It happens though. I don't see how a Nigerian will suggest it unless he has a bad history with the name. Another scenario is if the children are more advantaged with the name e.g. Bobby Ologun taking his wife's name so his children can succeed in Japan.

3 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by sanity12(m): 2:20am On Jan 11, 2021
OK
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by Oluromantic: 2:21am On Jan 11, 2021
Lol no say my mouth big o. Go do DNA test. Very essential

2. You don't change a family name on the basis of like or sounds sweet. If you must change an extended family identity (which is not bad), it should be for worthwhile reasons.

No let woman use tenderness push you to what you'll wish you never did later. I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to your wife at all but on this, be firm.

Chai, women get power sha

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by Yusufisraelj(m): 3:05am On Jan 11, 2021
Am confused sincerely, can't comprehend OP
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by anochuko01(m): 3:28am On Jan 11, 2021
That means your actual surname no carry weight lol. She wouldn't have hesitated in using your family name if it were to be dangote or so.

Let them use your own name abeg....

1 Like

Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by Mcslize: 3:53am On Jan 11, 2021
skyreaper:
My fiancé wants me to use my first name as my surname for our children instead of my initial surname, is it a bad idea, please advise. She said she likes my first name instead.

There is nothing wrong with that. I grew up using my immediate father's name instead of the usual family name of the man that is the father of the father of my father (so to say). And that's what the rest of my other siblings and I have been using right from time.

While my immediate father uses the usual family name in addition to his own name that we have in all our documents.

I see nothing wrong using one's immediate father's name.

5 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by Nobody: 4:13am On Jan 11, 2021
Nothing wrong. I and my siblings bear our father's first name. My children will bear my first name too.

1 Like

Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by 1beat(m): 5:21am On Jan 11, 2021
Monday January eleventh twenty twenty one

Bro you are good to go
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by jasman1: 5:23am On Jan 11, 2021
Baby Mama wahala
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by samwash(m): 5:48am On Jan 11, 2021
Not a bad idea, rather it should have to from you but if you are comfortable with it carry go .
My children uses my name has their surname, infact my English name, Cox my tribal name is too long & hard to pronounce, that's what I wanted right from time.
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by xperiencelove(m): 5:52am On Jan 11, 2021
Ask her the reason behind it and make her tell you the truth. She must have noticed some generational issues with your surname.

2 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by dollytino4real(f): 6:49am On Jan 11, 2021
maybe dat generational name no get good meaning

1 Like

Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by tooth4tooth: 7:03am On Jan 11, 2021
skyreaper:
I don't think it is bad . My childhood friend use his father's first name too. Even his children are using the same name.

I didn't do that though. My family name is sweeter and cooler. People love it,even foreigners.

1 Like

Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by Tillatalk: 7:48am On Jan 11, 2021
My uncle changed his surname because he doesn't like the name so no big deal bro

1 Like

Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by skyreaper: 8:05am On Jan 11, 2021
tooth4tooth:
I don't think it is bad . My childhood friend use his father's first name too. Even his children are using the same name.

I didn't do that though. My family name is sweeter and cooler. People love it,even foreigners.
thanks so much
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by skyreaper: 8:09am On Jan 11, 2021
dollytino4real:
maybe dat generational name no get good meaning
Yes, kind of
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by Nazgul: 8:14am On Jan 11, 2021
skyreaper:
She's wise and if you were, you wouldn't argue with her, cos your kids and their kids and their kids like that will all bear your first name as their surname.

If I get married my wife and kids will bear my first name as their surname.

Is it my family that married my wife for me? Or is it my family that gave birth to my kids?

I too want my own dynasty and I see nothing wrong in starting it.

4 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by Daum: 8:34am On Jan 11, 2021
My father changed his last name to his own father's name.

I use his father's name as my last name also.

My kids will also use that same name as a last name.

People will say, your own name will die out, well my name will eventually die out someday.
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by skyreaper: 8:39am On Jan 11, 2021
Nazgul:

She's wise and if you were, you wouldn't argue with her, cos your kids and their kids and their kids like that will all bear your first name as their surname.

Is it my family that married my wife for me? Or is it my family that gave birth to my kids?

Thanks so much, I appreciate.
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by babatunji36117: 8:42am On Jan 11, 2021
Ask her the reason behind it and make her tell you the truth. She must have noticed some generational issues with your surname.

1 Like

Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by excanny: 10:26am On Jan 11, 2021
skyreaper:

For a woman, it's called fiancée. notice the e.

Stop confusing us with your poor education.
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by Queenslander(f): 10:57am On Jan 11, 2021
excanny:

be calming down!!

2 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by Gbest90(m): 11:01am On Jan 11, 2021
skyreaper:

Nazgul:

It's obvious she isn't literate.

A surname is for identification of a persons lineage.

It's not a pet name you have to love.
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by Auxtin85(m): 11:24am On Jan 11, 2021
excanny:

Oga, professor of English

3 Likes

Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by Michelle55: 12:28pm On Jan 11, 2021
There's nothing wrong with that. If you're cool with it then it's fine.
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by yetunsbay(m): 1:33pm On Jan 11, 2021
If you personally okay with it, go ahead
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by lillyontop(m): 1:45pm On Jan 11, 2021
It actually happened to me but I don't really buy that idea, from the origin I came from we normally bear English name as our first name alot and our surname are compound name... I remember my dad saying all his children to change our surname to his name when I heard it i quickly wave the bullet before he hit me but the rest of my siblings changed their surname... Come to think of it when they travel to their home town how will they be able to tell which family they are from or which compound it's sick thou
Re: My Fiancé Prefers My First Name As Surname For Our Children. by dollytino4real(f): 6:13pm On Jan 11, 2021
skyreaper:
Yes, kind of
my opinion sha!

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Boys Should Stop Sending Me Message In My Email / Marry A Working Class Lady / It's A Man's World, Isn't It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.