Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

People Are Fraustrating Here On Nairaland - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / People Are Fraustrating Here On Nairaland (1307 Views)

People Are Dying / Earn Money By Yourself As Most Young People Are Doing Today With The Computer!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: People Are Fraustrating Here On Nairaland by SapphireYj: 1:42pm On Jan 15, 2021
JFOD:

Hello SapphireYj, can you explain this if you don't mind

How to find similarities between two sentences

Thank you

EDITED

(3/4 + 22-5/22 ) / 2 = 0.76

It took me a while to understand because it's in JS. Your code doesn't work well (it returns 0) if the '.' is added and if one should pass different things (it breaks sometimes).

I think the dot is important and the space won't be considered. That will give us

A total of 23 characters and an unsimilar/extra characters of 5 , if I'm to go by your calculation

23- 5/ 23 = 0.78 appr.

404Dev ,cixak95211 is this correct?

If no, what's the correct answer?
I quickly put the code together,but idealy,if I had the time,I would have tested the code more. I disagree regarding the space,it is important.One of the sentences had 3 spaces while the other had four. I agree with you on the dot,however,implementing regex for searching for punctuations like . , ; : ? etc and comparing them between sentences will require me to write a lot more code than i was willing to. My main target was to compare only the words provided, and since those words have a fullstop each, i didn't see the need to write code to handle them since they cancel each other out.If the spaces are the same,i wouldn't have bothered implementing code for handling spaces.
Re: People Are Fraustrating Here On Nairaland by Regex: 1:58pm On Jan 15, 2021
SapphireYj:

I quickly put the code together,but idealy,if I had the time,I would have tested the code more. I disagree regarding the space,it is important.One of the sentences had 3 spaces while the other had four. I agree with you on the dot,however,implementing regex for searching for punctuations like . , ; : ? etc and comparing them between sentences will require me to write a lot more code than i was willing to. My main target was to compare only the words provided, and since those words have a fullstop each, i didn't see the need to write code to handle them since they cancel each other out.If the spaces are the same,i wouldn't have bothered implementing code for handling spaces.

Did somebody say my name?
Re: People Are Fraustrating Here On Nairaland by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 15, 2021
404Dev:

Just curious, how many of this app do you need to sale to feed me and my entire family lipsrsealed

If you like grin open all my whole topics take screenshots with you cheap Andriod phone and keep posting on this old topic since you don't have work to do keep on posting don't go and hustle
Re: People Are Fraustrating Here On Nairaland by cixak95211: 2:33pm On Jan 15, 2021
@JFOD You're kinda correct, yea.
So I basically asked him to find similarities between "sentences' and not "individual words". Thus, it accounts that you need to give consideration to punctuation marks and spaces, typical of a complete English language expression. Its an approximate 78%. or 77.777777777% if you want to be precise.
Have been very busy with work and unable to read a post for more than 2 mins.
Saw the algo, very impressive although you can instantly tell it's not so efficient.

1 Like

Re: People Are Fraustrating Here On Nairaland by JFOD: 7:57pm On Jan 15, 2021
SapphireYj:

Alright, do you use JS in your job? Or it's a side thing ? If I may ask

If yes, What's the role?
Re: People Are Fraustrating Here On Nairaland by JFOD: 8:08pm On Jan 15, 2021
cixak95211:
@JFOD You're kinda correct, yea.
So I basically asked him to find similarities between "sentences' and not "individual words". Thus, it accounts that you need to give consideration to punctuation marks and spaces, typical of a complete English language expression. Its an approximate 78%. or 77.777777777% if you want to be precise.
Have been very busy with work and unable to read a post for more than 2 mins.
Saw the algo, very impressive although you can instantly tell it's not so efficient.

Is it possible for you share more problems like this?

And if I may ask, do you work in Tech?

I'll like to connect, I feel I can learn a lot from you
Re: People Are Fraustrating Here On Nairaland by Nobody: 11:00am On Jan 17, 2021
Semtu:

I swear, Nairaland clients can be annoying. I've been contacted by two differnt people on separate occassions. The first was about a school project. I finished working on it only for him to message me the next day that its past the deadline and won't need it again. The second person was about a web project, the website features he gave on nairaland were easy enough and I told him I'd do it. After going half way through the website, he started listing more absurd features, I asked for an increase in pay and he said No. I had to stop work on the website without even receiving a penny.

That's painful that's what I was trying to explain above but seems some where against my view it's all good God will bring good and better clients for you
Re: People Are Fraustrating Here On Nairaland by airsaylongcome: 6:01am On Jan 18, 2021
Semtu:

I swear, Nairaland clients can be annoying. I've been contacted by two differnt people on separate occassions. The first was about a school project. I finished working on it only for him to message me the next day that its past the deadline and won't need it again. The second person was about a web project, the website features he gave on nairaland were easy enough and I told him I'd do it. After going half way through the website, he started listing more absurd features, I asked for an increase in pay and he said No. I had to stop work on the website without even receiving a penny.

Never start a project without a clearly defined scope document signed and agreed on by both parties. What you encountered is called scope creep and is a big killer. Deliver on the scope agreed on in the scope documents. Subsequent scope changes can only be entertained after delivery of the initial project. And have a payment agreement. For the kind of madness in Nigeria I will say 70% up front. Payment confirms order

2 Likes

Re: People Are Fraustrating Here On Nairaland by cixak95211: 10:36am On Jan 18, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Never start a project without a clearly defined scope document signed and agreed on by both parties. What you encountered is called scope creep and is a big killer. Deliver on the scope agreed on in the scope documents. Subsequent scope changes can only be entertained after delivery of the initial project. And have a payment agreement. For the kind of madness in Nigeria I will say 70% up front. Payment confirms order

Cant blame him . A programmer only opens an editor, writes code and closes it. It takes beyond a programmer to understand the SDLC (software dev life cycle) and the business behind it. MY advise to OP. . collect your money in milestones for each significant delivery. Deliver login button, get paid, deliver landing page, get paid lol . . Create a dictionary, get paid lol . .

1 Like

Re: People Are Fraustrating Here On Nairaland by airsaylongcome: 10:52am On Jan 18, 2021
cixak95211:

Cant blame him . A programmer only opens an editor, writes code and closes it. It takes beyond a programmer to understand the SDLC (software dev life cycle) and the business behind it. MY advise to OP. . collect your money in milestones for each significant delivery. Deliver login button, get paid, deliver landing page, get paid lol . . Create a dictionary, get paid lol . .

Actually that's a good idea to collect payment after successful delivery of pre-agreed milestones. I probably should start thinking of how to develop pricing using this model.

Loads of programmers suffer this naivety especially when they are starting out and are trying to earn a buck freelancing. For me, I try to find existing (open source preferably) solutions to kick start the process, do a gap analysis and try to get the customer to buy in. I can't imagine starting from a clean slate and putting in the hours then not get paid. These customers don't know how mentally draining it is to write code

1 Like

Re: People Are Fraustrating Here On Nairaland by Freelane33(m): 12:14pm On Jan 18, 2021
Real talk .
airsaylongcome:

But it's the honest to God truth. That you do stuff on upwork and all no mean say u don blow. Even Paystack wey make a lot of waves recently fro $200m still never blow.

For this IT stuff when u blow u go dey run away from jobs. You go migrate from doing the dirty job of coding to being a business strategist/visioner

(1) (2) (Reply)

Video Game Developers / Nairaland For Blackberry / Help On My Project: Java

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.