Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,055 members, 7,807,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? (50215 Views)

"UK Employer Asking For My Linkedin Password" / How An Employer Sacked A Job Seeker Immediately After Giving Him A 250K Job / Doctor Shares Experience With An Employer In Abuja, rejects N70K salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by showafrica(m): 8:29pm On Jan 12, 2021
Yustash001:
Good evening Nairalanders,

I went for an interview yesterday and among questions that was ask in the written interview is "How much was your salary in the previous school where you worked?".
I wrote " it's confidential " because I thought it isn't formal to be asking such question in an interview.

So, during the oral interview, they asked while I didn't write the amount, I told them I don't want to disclose it and I don't think it's formal. I decided not to argue it further when the principal said it's formal, even though I didn't disclose the amount in the end.

So, my people, have you ever experienced such?
And is it formal to ask applicants of the exact amount they receive as salary in the organisation where they formerly work?

Please help push it to the front page...

Your answer would have made sense in a saner clime... But the usual entitled Nigerian employer who thinks he is doing you a favour would say you are feeling to big... May trash your application.

3 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by ipobarethieves: 8:29pm On Jan 12, 2021
sad undecided u are NOT SERIOUS sad@all sad.Tell dem 70/250k.Dis is same mistake some of u make during visa interview sad. Nonsense sad.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Okuda(m): 8:29pm On Jan 12, 2021
AntiWailer:

I am not talking about Ur 30k per month job.

lmao! if you get confidence make we tender our payslip to eachother. the money you make in a year, i earn double of that in a month. no mouthing. drop your payslip.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by DeMoneyGenius: 8:29pm On Jan 12, 2021
Yustash001:

I went for an interview yesterday and among questions that was ask in the written interview is "How much was your salary in the previous school where you worked?".
I wrote " it's confidential " because I thought it isn't formal to be asking such question in an interview.

So, during the oral interview, they asked while I didn't write the amount, I told them I don't want to disclose it and I don't think it's formal. I decided not to argue it further when the principal said it's formal, even though I didn't disclose the amount in the end.

And is it formal to ask applicants of the exact amount they receive as salary in the organisation where they formerly work?

It's part of the interview.
Although over 90% of people being interviewed usually state an amount higher than their current pay, prospective employers use it to ascertain your worth and it guides them during negotiations.
In the end anyway, how much you agree on does not necessarily depend on your current salary. It has a lot to do with your ability to convince them of how much value you're bringing into the organisation.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by thesilentman(m): 8:29pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It is not wrong.

You stood your ground...it is your right not to disclose personal informations to employers just as it is your right to remain jobless.

I admire your doggedness and arrogance in poverty...you refused to answer it in your written interview and you got a clue to remedy this basic goof in the oral interview but your village people got the best of you.

I won't blame them for not eventually employing you either. Someone who writes like this is not fit to be a janitor in a local school let alone a teacher.
The Op did nothing wrong.I was once an headteacher and i can tell u that the motive behind that question is to know how to cheat him or at most to know if they can afford his service.He could have given a bogus amount though.His choice.

9 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Pioneer01: 8:29pm On Jan 12, 2021
It's only wrong if they haven't requested the amount u would like to receive.....

In ur own case,i guess they didn't ask
So dey had to ask ur previous salary so as to increase ur pay...it's a normal question bro.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Cblessing(m): 8:30pm On Jan 12, 2021
You goofed bro! The question is very formal.

You ended up exhibiting ignorance and a bit of arrogance.

You may still be called for the job, God on your side.

Do not make this kind of mistake again in future.

4 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by samwash(m): 8:31pm On Jan 12, 2021
I thank what the OP did is not bad anyway.
Looking at it from this perspective, a sensible HR will kwn that if at that point the OP did not disclose the confidentiality of the previous work place then, he will not also disclose the confidentiality of the organization to a third party if employed.
Everybody is looking for cheap labour these days, does the organization has a salary scale for it's workers if I may ask.
This kind of senerio always happen in a small one man organization.

3 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by chrisxxx(m): 8:31pm On Jan 12, 2021
I experienced such and I did like you did.
I was not called back and later the HR became a friend of mine informally I asked him why I wasn't called. He said we were two for the final interview and they needed to know our salary expectation before taking a decision on either of us since they needed just one person. That was how I missed out.
Though now I know how to answer such question.
Just tell them they pay you based on hours you put in. Then say the average you make a month and all those.

3 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Daniwes: 8:31pm On Jan 12, 2021
Yustash001:

They ask because they want to use it to determine what they will pay you, or how they will rate you. Never give out this information, you are simply disarming yourself. You did the right thing period.

In many countries,there are laws guiding this, and while there is no crime for them to ask, there is no obligation for you to respond and if they won't employ you on that basis, you don't want to work there too, either.

A tip, always try to throw deflective questions back at them- ask them the salary range and tell them, you are also trying to determine if it meets your market value expectations. Do your initial research on the position and industry and have this before going in.

5 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by AntiWailer: 8:32pm On Jan 12, 2021
Okuda:

lmao! if you get confidence make we tender our payslip to eachother. the money you make in a year, i earn double of that in a month. no mouthing. drop your payslip.

If you are a software developer, I will double Ur current pay and give u another job.

I guess u assumed everybody on naira land post with Facebook free data.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by zicoraads: 8:33pm On Jan 12, 2021
Yustash001:

You should have answered.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Okuda(m): 8:33pm On Jan 12, 2021
AntiWailer:

If you are a software developer, I will double Ur current pay and give u another job.

I guess u assumed everybody on naira land post with Facebook free data.

software developer. Lmao! you have no idea. broke arse software developer.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by casiello(m): 8:34pm On Jan 12, 2021
HarunaWest:

Where is the act or policy where it is stated that an potential employee shouldn't declare his salary to his potential employer?
Name one government law regarding this please ASAP.

Act, policy, government law.. lmao...

The potential employer is still a stranger. You dont need the existence of an act or policy in order to safeguard personal and confidential information.

Revealing such information is at ones discretion

3 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Daniwes: 8:34pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It is not wrong.

You stood your ground...it is your right not to disclose personal informations to employers just as it is your right to remain jobless.

I admire your doggedness and arrogance in poverty...you refused to answer it in your written interview and you got a clue to remedy this basic goof in the oral interview but your village people got the best of you.

I won't blame them for not eventually employing you either. Someone who writes like this is not fit to be a janitor in a local school let alone a teacher.
The Op did NOTHING wrong. Job application is not a family meeting for everyone to be happy, you are simply stating your case why you deserve a certain amount, not begging. Infact, I ll advise he should have asked the pay range for the job earlier

4 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by mapet: 8:34pm On Jan 12, 2021
Yustash001:

Young Folks,

You just like to "score own-goals" at will. You mean you told a prospective employer that your salary because you "don't think it's formal"? grin grin grin grin You just wrote your resignation letter while you're yet to receive an employment letter. Bros, next time do the following;
1. Get coaching and assistance on interview techniques
2. Read books and sites on interview techniques
3. Be honest. Say things as it is..... and don't appear evasive

Meanwhile,

It is standard for a prospective employer to ask for your last salary information.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by VanessaKokomama(f): 8:35pm On Jan 12, 2021
Reading comment
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by emerem: 8:35pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It is not wrong.

You are very observant, but his mistakes are only two, asked and was, you and I know where they should fit in. As a teacher, you should have known exactly these flaws and fix them. Don't write for writing sake, people are eager to mark your sheets.

2 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Okuda(m): 8:35pm On Jan 12, 2021
zicoraads:

You should have answered.

nigeruans have been used to knowing so much abnormal that anybody who stands out of that abnormality is seen as the abnormal one. are you ok? baba tell you he desperate to find work. he wants to work but dont want to xompromise personal principle on that plate.please leave him alone, if they ask you and you think nothing is wong with it tell them how much you earn. baba no wan tell them. e get why

5 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by SocialJustice: 8:36pm On Jan 12, 2021
Yustash001:

Dude you goofed.

2 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by boringdraw: 8:36pm On Jan 12, 2021
THIEF THEIF THEIF
THIS GUY WITH DIS NUMBER
Data Sell: 0043467599
Asomugha ifeanyi onyebuchi
Access bank
Do let me know when you are done
THIS GUY POSTING AS A DATA SELLER IS A THEIF
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by lagdmark(m): 8:37pm On Jan 12, 2021
sojayy:
U dey take ur new work play kite abi.......u dey strong head for simple question.....at ur own peril anyways.
Maybe he copied how they do interviews in Europe and wanted to apply same to Nigeria culture.

2 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Goalnaldo(m): 8:38pm On Jan 12, 2021
Okuda:

oya oh. I'll be waiting to see cheesy grin
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by etrouble: 8:39pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It is not wrong.

NwaAmaikpe is this your comment ontop this matter or you and the guy don get one katakata before?

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by HarunaWest(m): 8:39pm On Jan 12, 2021
casiello:

Act, policy, government law.. lmao...

The potential employer is still a stranger. You dont need the existence of an act or policy in order to safeguard personal and confidential information.

Revealing such information is at ones discretion
Nope.. It's not at your discretion. Especially when there is job experience or expertise involved.

2 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Okuda(m): 8:39pm On Jan 12, 2021
mapet:

Young Folks,

You just like to "score own-goals" at will. You mean you told a prospective employer that your salary because you "don't think it's formal"? grin grin grin grin You just wrote your resignation letter while you're yet to receive an employment letter. Bros, next time do the following;
1. Get coaching and assistance on interview techniques
2. Read books and sites on interview techniques
3. Be honest. Say things as it is..... and don't appear evasive

Meanwhile,

It is standard for a prospective employer to ask for your last salary information.

it is not standard. it is also not by force. you guys should stop turning abnormality to normal. even abroad, there is nowhere they would ask you to write it dow, the highest is expectation and maybe during an interview on a casual note, they can ask. you are not obliged to answer that question. they should tender their offer, if it sits well with you, fine, if not, you either ask for somehing better or dont accept it.!

4 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by larryking540: 8:40pm On Jan 12, 2021
VirginSearcher:
Everything about recruitment in Naija is wrong
it's not only in 9ja o ,it's every where
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Daniwes: 8:41pm On Jan 12, 2021
AntiWailer:
That is the end of the interview Bro.

Nothing is confidential.

It is a normal HC procedure to know your current earnings so they can decide if the deal they are offering u is fair or not.

As an hiring Manager, once u say that. The interview is over. No way you are going to the next level.

I prefer u tell me u earn 50k a month but u won't do 1 naira less than 500k a month than that 'Confidential Bull Craaap'

Infact your previous pay slip is needed before u are given offer letter in any reasonable Organization not mush room employers.

NB : please I am not talking about 30k per month job offers.
Nope, this is grossly incorrect Sir!

Firstly, the HR personnel has an obligation first to the company's interest before that of the employees, so your advise is already skewed.

It is the employees best interest to max as much as possible as he/she can get. Divulging such information puts them in a disadvantage and arms the company in making decisions on how to get away with as little as possible.

No reasonable position would ask for your previous payslip and you have every right to decline to provide it.

It's business, not a family gathering.

8 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by larryking540: 8:42pm On Jan 12, 2021
AntiWailer:
That is the end of the interview Bro.

Nothing is confidential.

It is a normal HC procedure to know your current earnings so they can decide if the deal they are offering u is fair or not.

As an hiring Manager, once u say that. The interview is over. No way you are going to the next level.

I prefer u tell me u earn 50k a month but u won't do 1 naira less than 500k a month than that 'Confidential Bull Craaap'

Infact your previous pay slip is needed before u are given offer letter in any reasonable Organization not mush room employers.

NB : please I am not talking about 30k per month job offers. So stay away.
they don't know,they think been strong headed works all the time ,na u day fin work na u con stubborn pass

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by aieromon(m): 8:42pm On Jan 12, 2021
Okuda:

which company needs your previous payslip befpre they employ you? this is bullsh..t kind of comment.

Established organisations require as much as 3 months payslip as a requirement to complete the recruitment process.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by AntiWailer: 8:42pm On Jan 12, 2021
Daniwes:

Nope, this is grossly incorrect Sir!

Firstly, the HR personnel has an obligation first to the company's interest before that of the employees, so your advise is already skewed.

It is the employees best interest to max as much as possible as he/she can get. Divulging such information puts them in a disadvantage and arms the company in making decisions on how to get away with as little as possible.

No reasonable position would ask for your previous payslip and you have every right to decline to provide it.

It's business, not a family gathering.

Stick to your believe with your next employer.

Best of luck.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Check Out What A Guy Wore To An Interview / Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome / Ministry Gives N-power Recruitment Slots To Lawmakers, Politicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.