Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,736 members, 7,802,217 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:11 AM

An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? (50187 Views)

"UK Employer Asking For My Linkedin Password" / How An Employer Sacked A Job Seeker Immediately After Giving Him A 250K Job / Doctor Shares Experience With An Employer In Abuja, rejects N70K salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jan 12, 2021
cerebralniggie1:

Nwaamaikpe is not your mate. Put some "respek" on that name

Don't mind the weed smoker

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by hush15: 11:46pm On Jan 12, 2021
Yustash001:
Nice one, but from the comment have read so far, people are saying it's official

Cos many says so doesn't mean it is so. It think it is so cos they haven't experienced it another way. No foreign or multi corp will ask you what you earning before.

Probably SMEs and One man businesses. The worse that could or should be asked is for your intended role, how much are you considering for the new role or job, just to evaluate how ambitious you are and if they can cope. Not what were you earning, wetin dem wan use that one for
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by hush15: 11:49pm On Jan 12, 2021
spice123:
Truth is, from my experience as an interviewer I've got to discover that job seekers lie a lot about their earnings. That is why some organizations go to length of requesting for payslip or find out from previous employer depending on the position applied for.

Hence why asking... Just pay what you can affprd
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Nobody: 12:32am On Jan 13, 2021
Okuda:

lmao! if you get confidence make we tender our payslip to eachother. the money you make in a year, i earn double of that in a month. no mouthing. drop your payslip.
dont mind that fellow. Look at him arrogantly spewing nonsense. Yes, a number of companies do ask for payslip, but I dare say the companies that do that are the real mushroom coys, as he put it. I have had interviews/ worked in/ mushroom coys and well-structured coys and I can categorically state that the well structured ones dont engage in that disrespectful act. To the OP's situation, for me, when asked how much i earn, i just quote a figure close to my expected salary. And then add like 20-30% when asked for expected salary. You may wanna tow this line in future encounters. If they wanna play silly games, by all means play along.

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by armadeo(m): 12:40am On Jan 13, 2021
I've always been asked and I've always padded the figure.

They there.make pant wear you forming confidential. I'm sure this is your second job.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by AK481(m): 12:47am On Jan 13, 2021
Yustash001:
Good evening Nairalanders,

I went for an interview yesterday and among questions that was ask in the written interview is "How much was your salary in the previous school where you worked?".
I wrote " it's confidential " because I thought it isn't formal to be asking such question in an interview.

So, during the oral interview, they asked while I didn't write the amount, I told them I don't want to disclose it and I don't think it's formal. I decided not to argue it further when the principal said it's formal, even though I didn't disclose the amount in the end.

So, my people, have you ever experienced such?
And is it formal to ask applicants of the exact amount they receive as salary in the organisation where they formerly work?

Please help push it to the front page...

Nothing is wrong with what you did but you won’t get the job.

The reason hr ask for that information is to know if what you currently earn is more or less than the maximum of what they can offer.
So as to know if they can continue with the interview or not.

You are a stone head human being and continuing like this will cost you a lot of u don’t change .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by AK481(m): 12:49am On Jan 13, 2021
Gilbertase:
dont mind that fellow. Look at him arrogantly spewing nonsense. Yes, a number of companies do ask for payslip, but I dare say the companies that do that are the real mushroom coys, as he put it. I have had interviews/ worked in/ mushroom coys and well-structured coys and I can categorically state that the well structured ones dont engage in that disrespectful act. To the OP's situation, for me, when asked how much i earn, i just quote a figure close to my expected salary. And then add like 20-30% when asked for expected salary. You may wanna tow this line in future encounters. If they wanna play silly games, by all means play along.

Multinationals ask for it , especially for experience position

2 Likes

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by AK481(m): 12:50am On Jan 13, 2021
hush15:

Hence why asking... Just pay what you can affprd

What if u Currently earn more than what they are willing to offer .

You have wasted everyone time if u don’t provide or they don’t demand for it.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Nobody: 12:57am On Jan 13, 2021
AK481:

Multinationals ask for it , especially for experience position
not in the ones i have worked for, nor in the ones my friends are working in. From FMCG's like Nigerian Breweries, Flourmillls to Multinationals like Exxon mobil, Total, BAT and multinational pharma coys like Sanofi, Roche, Novo Nordisk, Merck...none of these ask for it. And these are companies that we can consider reasonable companies with good structure and good pay. I have worked in one of these coys, and i have people currently in and recently onboarded to the aforementioned coys. None were asked for their former payslips. It is actually denigrating. A foam company tried this with me, and i declined respectfully. They can ask the company when they do their background checks, i told them. And i still got the offer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by missyblissy: 1:00am On Jan 13, 2021
In my experience I always add money if they ask. If my previous place was 50k I will say 100k and it depends on the company. A structured company will pay you what the exact pay tagged to that position.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Nobody: 1:10am On Jan 13, 2021
missyblissy:
In my experience I always add money if they ask. If my previous place was 50k I will say 100k and it depends on the company. A structured company will pay you what the exact pay tagged to that position.
exactly. It is usu a tell-tale sign that the company is a mushroom company with below par staff welfare package when they come with that tacky tactic. A well-structured company that pays well and values their workforce do not engage in such practices. Na all these 100-150k salary workplaces dem. We move!

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by hedocharles(m): 1:23am On Jan 13, 2021
All comments and suggestions were not bad including that of the op
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Nobody: 1:51am On Jan 13, 2021
I told one of my employer i was receiving 35k where i work before and she said how much do u think we can pay you here, then looking at the standard of the school i said 45k.
Then the woman said our school is just fine the amount we can pay you as Bsc holder is 15k, i feel like crying on that day....
even if you say what you earn before, they will still mess you up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by ikorodureporta: 2:35am On Jan 13, 2021
asking about yr previous salary & what u'r expecting as salary shows the uselessness of the employer.. wetin concern them?? is it a short-term contract
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Fibonacci88: 4:14am On Jan 13, 2021
ThaRealist:

What if one is a freelancer and over the years his portfolio and skill has improved from his last job ??

My question here is what's the relevance of one pay slip to what value he can add presently?
It's for negotiation. Some coy have salary band for a particular job function or grade level. If u coming from a company where u earn 100k and I earn 150k from my previous company for the same job role or grade level. I am mostly likely to be placed on a higher salary than u if we both get the job. The provision of payslip is strictly for salary negotiation the question of what u bring the table doesn't suffice cos it's mostly done for experienced hire were the company already have an idea of ur abilities.

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by realdickoflife: 4:32am On Jan 13, 2021
The way and manner you responded tells me a lot about the kind of person you are. You feel it is tour duty to be savage to a very reasonable question. The you g man is right. According to labour laws an employer has no right to ask your previous or current renumeration and use that as a basis of employment.

Sadly, you and your likes are part of the problem of Nigeria. There is not an ounce of pain it would cost you to have replied in a civil manner.
Funny part of it is you might be at the bottom end of the employment spectrum and just come here to be an internet warrior. Before you reply me un a caustic manner yes I am employed and yes I make six figures so I am in a rightful place to correct you.

God bless.
quote author=NwaAmaikpe post=97994011] shocked

It is not wrong.

You stood your ground...it is your right not to disclose personal information to employers just as it is your right to remain jobless.

I admire your doggedness and arrogance in poverty...you refused to answer it in your written interview and you got a clue to remedy this basic goof in the oral interview but your village people got the best of you.

I won't blame them for not eventually employing you either. Someone who writes like this is not fit to be a janitor in a local school let alone a teacher.[/quote]
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Juliearth(f): 4:39am On Jan 13, 2021
AntiWailer:
That is the end of the interview Bro.

Nothing is confidential.

It is a normal HC procedure to know your current earnings so they can decide if the deal they are offering u is fair or not.

As an hiring Manager, once u say that. The interview is over. No way you are going to the next level.

I prefer u tell me u earn 50k a month but u won't do 1 naira less than 500k a month than that 'Confidential Bull Craaap'

Infact your previous pay slip is needed before u are given offer letter in any reasonable Organization not mush room employers.

NB : please I am not talking about 30k per month job offers. So stay away. Come back when you graduate and look for a better job.

You don't have to abuse me. Stay with your believe for your next employer and blame Buhari for joblessness.

Exactly!

A little tact wouldn't have killed the op. There are more subtle ways to say no, rather than being arrogantly direct.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by samx4real(m): 6:04am On Jan 13, 2021
Yustash001:

I went for an interview yesterday and among questions that was ask in the written interview is "How much was your salary in the previous school where you worked?".
I wrote " it's confidential " because I thought it isn't formal to be asking such question in an interview.

So, during the oral interview, they asked while I didn't write the amount, I told them I don't want to disclose it and I don't think it's formal. I decided not to argue it further when the principal said it's formal, even though I didn't disclose the amount in the end.

And is it formal to ask applicants of the exact amount they receive as salary in the organisation where they formerly work?

It happened to me after working for 4yrs in one private school in my area, they were paying me 20k, then they increase it to 23k and increase my status to HOD in 2017. I left them in 2019 when they couldn't increase it to 30k, the new minimum wage.

When I got to the other school, they asked me how much was my salary, I was very angry, because I felt that my previous school were paying me way less... I couldn't answer them and my stomach started paining me immediately they ask me that question.

I just bend down and shock my head. the interviewer told me to go and come back in two days when am ready.

I knew they needed me because I passed their written interview with the highest score. So when I went back after two days.

They repeated the same question and I have to lie... Yes, e get why. And I learnt a great lesson from that interview.

There is nothing confidential about your salary when it comes to an interview. Well, they eventually offered me the job but I didn't like the salary, though it was 35k, Tax inclusive.

After the pandemic, I left the school to another... You know why? The salary!

I just said let me just try the school may be their salary will be better, but during their interview they asked me how much was my salary in my previous school... I just added 5k to the 35k... i.e 40k

You know what? they took me and they even added 2k to it, because we were arguing between the 40k and 45k.

Now, that is common sense.

Next time when your interviewer ask you your previous pay... What you need to do is size them up, and add appropriate amount to your previous salary, because that will be their reference point... As in, is like you going to buy something from the market and you already know the price. But the seller just wants to add something to it so that he/she can make profit off you.

You can see, that even though they cannot afford to pay me 40k... at least, they would have paid between 37k to that 40k and I would have still taken their offer which is way better than my previous work place.

Anyways next time, do not be ashame of your pay. Add an appropriate amount, and tell them to make their offer a little higher.

#CommonSense.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Nwaelohim: 6:26am On Jan 13, 2021
Reason you are asked such question include
1. Company Budget
2. Progressions .. because if you earn less than previous you won't be motivated
3. They don't want to loss you because of salary difference
4. They need to know your previous financial status.to know what to commit to you
5. Salary is proportional to task delivery and objective target.
6. Is part of recruitment process and has to be filled
If you build a company you will ask same question... You can see that Buhari is not your unemployment problem but you.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by gbagyiza: 6:45am On Jan 13, 2021
Yustash001:

I went for an interview yesterday and among questions that were asked in the written interview is "How much was your salary in the previous school where you worked?".

There is nothing bad to ask for your current salary during an interview. Salary negotiations are allowed in an interview. I attended a virtual interview in September 2020 n was asked to forward my current 3 months salary statement of account, which I did. So, guy it is not a big deal.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by SavageResponse(m): 6:53am On Jan 13, 2021
Yustash001:

It's a normal question to ask and there is nothing wrong in answering but it's mostly small companies that do it. It is not likely that a multinational company will ask you about your previous salary, they are more likely to ask about your salary expectations
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Yustash001(m): 7:21am On Jan 13, 2021
samx4real:

It happened to me after working for 4yrs in one private school in my area, they were paying me 20k, then they increase it to 23k and increase my status to HOD in 2017. I left them in 2019 when they couldn't increase it to 30k, the new minimum wage.

When I got to the other school, they asked me how much was my salary, I was very angry, because I felt that my previous school were paying me way less... I couldn't answer them and my stomach started paining me immediately they ask me that question.

I just bend down and shock my head. the interviewer told me to go and come back in two days when am ready.

I knew they needed me because I passed their written interview with the highest score. So when I went back after two days.

They repeated the same question and I have to lie... Yes, e get why. And I learnt a great lesson from that interview.

There is nothing confidential about your salary when it comes to an interview. Well, they eventually offered me the job but I didn't like the salary, though it was 35k, Tax inclusive.

After the pandemic, I left the school to another... You know why? The salary!

I just said let me just try the school may be their salary will be better, but during their interview they asked me how much was my salary in my previous school... I just added 5k to the 35k... i.e 40k

You know what? they took me and they even added 2k to it, because we were arguing between the 40k and 45k.

Now, that is common sense.

Next time when your interviewer ask you your previous pay... What you need to do is size them up, and add appropriate amount to your previous salary, because that will be their reference point... As in, is like you going to buy something from the market and you already know the price. But the seller just wants to add something to it so that he/she can make profit off you.

You can see, that even though they cannot afford to pay me 40k... at least, they would have paid between 37k to that 40k and I would have still taken their offer which is way better than my previous work place.

Anyways next time, do not be ashame of your pay. Add an appropriate amount, and tell them to make their offer a little higher.

#CommonSense.
thanks for your contribution bro..

But are there no better ways to go by it without lieing?

This is exactly what happened to me....my previous work place pays me far below what I expect from this new organisation.Revealing the real amount to them might lead to them underpaying me, and at the same time I don't want to lie about it..

That's why I just decided to play strong head, the worst is for me not be employed

It however turned out well because the gestures I received from them after the interview showed they are interested in me...
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by hush15: 7:28am On Jan 13, 2021
AK481:

What if u Currently earn more than what they are willing to offer .

You have wasted everyone time if u don’t provide or they don’t demand for it.

Vacancies are usually advertised with the expected remuneration. So whoever is willing to apply would have known at least the amount to expect upon application. so where it is demanded, the ethical question is to ask like how much are they willing to be paid for the new role or position. The person can then disclose that oh, where i was before, this is the amount i was collecting and i can't go less than this amount or the applicant can just give the amount they considered to be fair knowing how much they received before.

Asking them was they were been paid is very unethical and many don't know it but because they dont understand this, the accepted that since they will be their oga or desperation of a new job or just playing gallery so as just to get over with the interview or even inferiority complex just accepted it as the new norm. Why wont some of them lie just to be relevant and worse part, most times, they undervalue themselves cos they dont want to sound overambitious and end up being paid below what they are supposed to be paid as planned by the coy and those that are overambitious are often dissappointed and before you know it, unto the next job search. only few are lucky to strike a good balance.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Yustash001(m): 7:31am On Jan 13, 2021
Nwaelohim:
Reason you are asked such question include
1. Company Budget
2. Progressions .. because if you earn less than previous you won't be motivated
3. They don't want to loss you because of salary difference
4. They need to know your previous financial status.to know what to commit to you
5. Salary is proportional to task delivery and objective target.
6. Is part of recruitment process and has to be filled
If you build a company you will ask same question... You can see that Buhari is not your unemployment problem but you.
Thanks for your contribution.. even though the last part isn't necessary
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by samx4real(m): 8:11am On Jan 13, 2021
Yustash001:
thanks for your contribution bro..

But are there no better ways to go by it without lieing?

This is exactly what happened to me....my previous work place pays me far below what I expect from this new organisation.Revealing the real amount to them might lead to them underpaying me, and at the same time I don't want to lie about it..

That's why I just decided to play strong head, the worst is for me not be employed

It however turned out well because the gestures I received from them after the interview showed they are interested in me...

The country is built on lies bro... Take it or leave, the trend most continue for someone to survive.

You just have to be smart.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by hylyne(m): 10:10am On Jan 13, 2021
AntiWailer:
That is the end of the interview Bro.

Nothing is confidential.

It is a normal HC procedure to know your current earnings so they can decide if the deal they are offering u is fair or not.

As an hiring Manager, once u say that. The interview is over. No way you are going to the next level.

I prefer u tell me u earn 50k a month but u won't do 1 naira less than 500k a month than that 'Confidential Bull Craaap'

Infact your previous pay slip is needed before u are given offer letter in any reasonable Organization not mush room employers.

NB : please I am not talking about 30k per month job offers. So stay away. Come back when you graduate and look for a better job.

You don't have to abuse me. Stay with your believe for your next employer and blame Buhari for joblessness.

This is same crap i noticed on two occasions last year. Both indigenous downstream oil and gas. I made it to the final stages and both Mds indicated interest. But the challenge was that I must present my payslip before, they make an offer. What nonsense?

What connects my payslip with your existing pay structure. I have told you my current and my pay expectation. Is it not wise at that point, you decide what you can offer instead of stretching it further?

Funny enough one of them called me back after 6months of waiting for the payslip, which I refused to give, offering 150k less than what I'm currently earning. Can you imagine the nonsense, so na so I for the share my payslip up and down abi

Most coys that insist on payslip presentation, don't pay well. Take it or leave it.

1 Like

Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by AntiWailer: 10:16am On Jan 13, 2021
hylyne:

This is same crap i noticed on two occasions last year. Both indigenous downstream oil and gas. I made it to the final stages and both Mds indicated interest. But the challenge was that I must present my payslip before, they make an offer. What nonsense?

What connects my payslip with your existing pay structure. I have told you my current and my pay expectation. Is it not wise at that point, you decide what you can offer instead of stretching it further?

Funny enough one of them called me back after 6months of waiting for the payslip, which I refused to give, offering 150k less than what I'm currently earning. Can you imagine the nonsense, so na so I for the share my payslip up and down abi

Most coys that insist on payslip presentation, don't pay well. Take it or leave it.

Please tell the kiddos arguing about pay slip the bolded so that when they graduate they won't carry a crappy mentality around.

Make Ur voice louder.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Icterus(m): 10:17am On Jan 13, 2021
It is usually a requirement to know what you are currently earning so as to determine first if they can pay you. It is also the basis for salary negotiation, some organization give you 5% above your current pay and others 10%.

So op, for future interviews, please say what you earn, and when you are asked what your salary expectations are, kindly diplomatically say it too. You can check out HR's questions and how to answer them.
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by Kulushkalash(m): 10:23am On Jan 13, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms
All this trashy questions b4 you are been employed
When you can easily Start up a bombing career at home with No stress

What’s a bombing career?
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by jospepper(m): 11:29am On Jan 13, 2021
Laxy009:
There’s no right or wrong answer to this . Some will even ask you to present your payslip in the recruitment stages .

You need to place a value on yourself . You don’t need to tell them what you earn absolutely . You can add a premium amount which you perceive is good base on your competency skills and also research the financial ability of the new company on a going concern basis plus your your actual current salary. You sum it up and write it as your current salary . This idea is know as hedging . It will be difficult for them to pay less than what you’ve quoted .
but what if they ask for your last payslip?
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by crookes(m): 11:57am On Jan 13, 2021
AntiWailer:

If you are a software developer, I will double Ur current pay and give u another job.

I guess u assumed everybody on naira land post with Facebook free data.
Biko even if it's 1k I will deeply appreciate it bikonu...
Union Bank
Cyrus Zingak
Re: An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? by blunt2dcore(m): 12:32pm On Jan 13, 2021
It's very reasonable to disclose your previous earnings in your former place of work. It helps employer to evaluate the salary scale they can place you on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Check Out What A Guy Wore To An Interview / Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome / Top 5 States In Nigeria With High Employment Opportunity - Careerportal.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.