Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,972 members, 7,799,302 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? (41651 Views)

Why Is " Anything Raised To The Power Zero" Equals To One? / Why Is Any Number Divided By Zero Equals To Infinity?? / How To Find The Square Root Of ANY Number Instantly In 3 Secs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by BobFischer(m): 10:15am On Jan 13, 2021
Why is any any number multiply by zero is equal to zero?

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

If i have 100 oranges on a table and i multiply it by zero. Why do i suddenly have zero?

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please
mathematicians in the house please gather.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by eddynaira125: 10:24am On Jan 13, 2021
This are mathematical laws that u should obey,

U can't ask God y thou shall not kill

2*3= lll lll. Three in two places

0*3 =. Means 3 in zero places

That's is y we arrive there as our final ans

523 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by sinkhole: 10:29am On Jan 13, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

If i have 100 oranges on a table and i multiply it by zero. Why do i suddenly have zero?

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please
add no orange (0) ten times (10x), that is 10x0, what will you get?
OR
add ten oranges at no time, what will you get?
(Note that multiplication is simply repeated addition)

186 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by BobFischer(m): 10:56am On Jan 13, 2021
eddynaira125:

mind you
0 * 3 and
3 * 0 are two different statement.

0 (nothing) * 3 (something) = 0 (nothing)

3 (something) * 0 (nothing) = 0 (nothing).

why isnt it
3 * 0 = 3
0 * 3 = 0

108 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Worldliness(f): 11:33am On Jan 13, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please

Zero practically means nothing.

So nothing 1 time, nothing 2 times and nothing 1000 times 0r 1million times is still equal to nothing.

Eg) if i dont have 1 naira, if you ask me for 1 naira for 1 time or even 100 times, i still dont have any. that is it.

374 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by paulolee(m): 11:40am On Jan 13, 2021
asked my maths for economics lecturer this question when he was taking us matrix during year1 and the whole class burst into laughter amd the prof sent me.out of his class..
I gat go beg the man with a bottle of wine and 2k recharge card, the man still deduct 5 marks from me for taking his class for a ride just because of this same logical question..
dnt jus know why our uni lecturers do feel like demi gods..

194 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by proxitaly: 12:03pm On Jan 13, 2021
Buhari (something) x Buhari brain (empty or nothing) = nothing
That is why even 1000 tenures of Buhari will leave Naija empty or even worse off. You grab?

277 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Fortune109: 1:07pm On Jan 13, 2021
It's just simple English or any other language

They said...

If you don't have 100, what do you have??

If you don't have 1000, what do you have??

Answer those questions and get your answer!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Tohsynetita1: 1:50pm On Jan 13, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please
Probably, you don't understand the meaning of multiplication, God says be fruitful and multiply. For multiplication to occur, it must be 2 entity that are not empty, Procreation is as a result of union of two people. Man with Nothing can not bring a child. The zero, in the expression will always affect the answer and make it to be nothing.

63 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by dawnomike(m): 2:02pm On Jan 13, 2021
eddynaira125:

The branch of mathematics that proves this is called 'Real Analysis'. You proof by contradiction.
To proof what you asked above in mathematics will take like 2 pages of paper.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by pat077: 2:04pm On Jan 13, 2021
U can't put something on nothing and expect it to stand.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by BobFischer(m): 2:20pm On Jan 13, 2021
Worldliness:

Eg) if i dont have 1 naira, if you ask me for 1 naira for 1 time or even 100 times, i still dont have any. that is it.

This translate to zero 0 (if i dont have 1 naira) * 1 or * 100 = 0 (i still dont have any)

NOW THIS

(You have) 100 * 0 (nothing) = 0 (nothing)
translate to you have 100 and i ask zero time(simply i dont ask) and then you loose your 100

so how do you explain this?
losing you 100 when you do nothing

11 Likes

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by VinceSpence(m): 2:31pm On Jan 13, 2021
3 * 0 and 0 * 3 are the same, sir. Multiplication is commutative.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by nnamdiosu(m): 2:32pm On Jan 13, 2021
proxitaly:
That is why even 1000 tenures of Buhari will leave Naija empty or even worse off. You grab?

grin grin grin stop na

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by BobFischer(m): 2:38pm On Jan 13, 2021
pat077:

yet the sun stand on nothing
pat077:

yet the sun stand on nothing

10 Likes

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by BobFischer(m): 2:41pm On Jan 13, 2021
dawnomike:
The branch of mathematics that proves this is called 'Real Analysis'. You proof by contradiction.
To proof what you asked above in mathematics will take like 2 pages of paper.

PLEASE HELP US WITH IT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by BobFischer(m): 2:43pm On Jan 13, 2021
paulolee:
asked my economics lecturer the same during year1 n the whole class burst into laughter amd the prof sent me.out of his class

hahahahaha. What happens when you start questioning the system. Sorry for being treated unfairly

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by smartty68(m): 2:58pm On Jan 13, 2021
0 * 10 oranges at hand = 10 oranges... Reasons being that the oranges won't mysteriously disappear from my hand...

Imagine multiplying the 6 luggage bags by 0 and yet the load from the luggage still on you...

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Cheato64(m): 3:20pm On Jan 13, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please
if you and 2 of your friends are giving 0 mangoes to share, how many will each get?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Spy360(m): 4:03pm On Jan 13, 2021
Worldliness:

Zero practically means nothing.

So nothing 1 time, nothing 2 times and nothing 1000 times 0r 1million times is still equal to nothing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Mrshape: 4:28pm On Jan 13, 2021
Because multiplication is addition.
0x2 means add 0 two times 0+0=0

0×5 means add zero five times 0+0+0+0+0=0

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by BobFischer(m): 4:32pm On Jan 13, 2021
VinceSpence:
3 * 0 and 0 * 3 are the same, sir. Multiplication is commutative.

1 + 2 = 3.
2 + 1 = 3.
The two statement above is not the same though the result is the same

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 13, 2021
proxitaly:

grin grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by BigDawsNet: 5:42pm On Jan 13, 2021
Zero to the power of zero, denoted by 00, is a mathematical expression

Zero no dey take anybody play

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by everglaze01: 5:49pm On Jan 13, 2021
If somebody send u an alert of 0 naira 100 times. How much do u now have?

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jan 13, 2021
My own reasoning is this

We all know 0 is nothing.

Now if you put nothing in ten places, youll get nothing in those ten places. Whic equals to =0/ nothing. So here 10 is represented by the places a number occurs.

Hope I've not ended up confusing you further.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Stephenmoka4(m): 6:41pm On Jan 13, 2021
BobFischer:

10 x 0 = 0
100 x 0 = 0
1000 x 0 = 0

100 oranges X 0 = 0
1000 pears X 0 = 0

front page please
How many times should zero appear?

10 times of zero is zero, is like giving depositing 0 ten times, why is still an empty space. Hence, zero

1 Like

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 13, 2021
B
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by waynetee(m): 6:50pm On Jan 13, 2021
This explains everything, i dont know what else
eddynaira125:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by STINOS(m): 6:52pm On Jan 13, 2021
First the commonsense explanation:

Say you are giving away free apples. An infinitely big apple tree has sprouted in your garden (it's hypothetical) and you have decided to give away apples to each person who comes by. You have decided that you'll give 1 apple to each person that comes by. If one person comes by, you have given away one apple. If two people come by, you have given away two apples. If seventy-five people come by you have given away seventy-five apples. This is multiplication by 1. If there are n people that come by, 1*n tells you how many apples you have given away.

Say you are giving away 2 apples per person. If one person comes by, you have given away two apples. If two people come by you have given away four apples. If thirty people come by you have given away sixty apples. This is multiplication by 2. So if 'n' is how many people came by, 2*n tells you how many apples you have given away.

Similarly, if you are giving away 100 apples per person, 100*n tells you how many apples you have given away in total where 'n' is how many people came by to collect their apples (everyone loves apples).

If you are giving away 0 apples per person, then regardless of how many people come by, how many apples would you have given out by the end of the day? Logically? None, of course! Hence, 0*n = 0.

This also works the other way around, because of the commutative law for multiplication. So lets say no people come by, i.e., n = 0. Regardless of how many apples you want to give away, the total number of apples you have given away will always be 0. Cause no one comes by to take the apples! So a*0 = 0 where a is how many apples you give away per person, which doesn't matter.

Now for an explanation hinging slightly more on mathematical notation:

Multiplication is basically addition, done over and over again. Multiplying a number n by 2 means adding n twice --> n + n

Multiplying a number by 7 means adding it seven times --> n + n + n + n + n + n + n

Multiplying a number a gazillion times means n + n + n ... (a gazillion n's)

So what you multiply 'n' by tells you the number of n you have to add together. If you multiply n by 0, then there are no n's in the picture. Since you are not adding anything, you are left with nothing, aka 0. So:

2*n = n + n (two n's on this side)
7*n = n + n + n + n + n + n + n (seven n's on this side)
0*n = (how many n's do you see on this side? None.

88 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by VictorUSA(m): 7:30pm On Jan 13, 2021
eddynaira125:

Brilliant answer
Re: Why Is Any Number Multiplied By Zero Equals To Zero? by Stubborn82: 7:30pm On Jan 13, 2021
Am I the only person who noticed the op must be a genius
A question like this is not just a question for fun, in fact it is a question born of deep provoking thought.

Luke Williams called this kind a of question, a disruptive question that need a disruptive solution, this is how great ideas is born.

When you try to turn upside down or turn back from the norm, you become genius.

OP please be my friend, I need a great thinkers like you to share mind with.

26 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Don Davis' Medical Report Silent On Sexual Abuse At Deeper Life High School / Crisis In UNN Between Post Graduate And Under Graduate Students Today(photos) / Do You Still Remember? Who Can Solve This Jss1 Maths Question? Ja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.